Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

[spoiler] Landing Site

123home123

[41]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 55
    Bear McCreary didn't say anything about the Brooklyn Bridge from what I read on his official Battlestar Blog (click on link).

You can run a search for "Brooklyn" on that page. You won't get any hits.

So I don't think it's supposed to be the Brooklyn Bridge, although I think the layout is similar to Brooklyn and Manhattan and perhaps we were meant to be semi-fooled into thinking it was the Brooklyn Bridge.

Other people had mentioned the cross in the rubble but I missed it until I saw the screenshots below. Interesting although is it an actual cross or just a piece of decorative facing that looks like a cross because of the way it broke off from the original building?

The last two pictures in FranVanster's post are the most intriguing. I picked up on that when I watched the closing scene in slow motion along with the scene of Lee flipping through the book of Scriptures. There is a definite resemblance between the drawing in the book and the ruined structure in the final scene. Lee and Kara stated that the Temple of Aurora was located on Earth. I'm not sure what this means though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[42]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 20
    [QUOTE="123home123"Other people had mentioned the cross in the rubble but I missed it until I saw the screenshots below. Interesting although is it an actual cross or just a piece of decorative facing that looks like a cross because of the way it broke off from the original building?[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I noticed the cross right away on the first viewing. I didn't think much of it though, and I didn't expect the characters on screen to either because they would have been in shock seeing Earth and would not have cared about something like that.

mynameisrodney

[43]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    The cross would have no meaning for them anyway. Even if they had noticed it, without any knowledge of christianity a cross is just another shape.

123home123

[44]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 55
    It's not supposed to have meaning for the Colonials, but it would have meaning for us. If that is a Christian cross, then that would confirm that the fleet arrived in our future, not some fabled distant past in Earth's history. I don't believe there were any major religions in ancient history that used a cross as a symbol.

Actually, the swastika would be more likely to be seen if it was an ancient Earth culture, as that symbol was used throughout ancient India, the Middle East and parts of the Hellenic civilization, as well as in some Native American cultures. Hindu and Buddhist temples and other buildings are frequently marked with swastikas, and there is no connection with Nazism. Obviously it would be highly unwise for the producers to include a swastika on the show given the more modern associations of that symbol.

Anyway, if it really is a cross, that could help narrow down the time period and/or verify that they are on our Earth and not some other concept of Earth.

QingJao86

[45]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 4
    The one problem I have with this taken place in our future is that orginally I was under the impression that all humans were just Cobolians, and most of the show seemed to support that. Wouldn't that mean that the migration from Cobol happened when humans first got to Earth (though that does sorta though principals of evolution for a loop...) and our years are just different then Caprican years. That would mean this could be our near future, like maybe even 50-100 years or less in the future (or heck 20-30 years in our past) we decided to destroy each other and the fallout didn't last as long as we thought it would... or something like that... Am I making any sense?

Rivenhall

[46]Jun 16, 2008
    QingJao86 wrote:
    The one problem I have with this taken place in our future is that orginally I was under the impression that all humans were just Cobolians, and most of the show seemed to support that. Wouldn't that mean that the migration from Cobol happened when humans first got to Earth (though that does sorta though principals of evolution for a loop...) and our years are just different then Caprican years. That would mean this could be our near future, like maybe even 50-100 years or less in the future (or heck 20-30 years in our past) we decided to destroy each other and the fallout didn't last as long as we thought it would... or something like that... Am I making any sense?

It's always possible, and quite widely believed in various fora, that the scrolls are inaccurate in some respects. For example, if the original migration was from Earth, but when they settled on Kobol and were there for millenia, this fact became blurred and Kobol, as it was now the centre of their universe, became the 'birthplace' of humankind. And history was revised as it so often is.

WuKeSong

[47]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    We have to keep in mind that the scrolls are only legends for the colonials. Most of the people didn't even believe in the existence of "earth" or the thirteen tribe. Like in every myth, histiorical facts and pure legend are mixed in a way that makes it completely impossible to make any plausible assumption about the past. Even in ou own civilization, it is hard to have any hard evidence beyond 2000 or 3000 years. If you make it 4000, and add a few genocides and planet-wide cataclysms, scrolls are nothing but a distant echo of a forgotten past. As the Cylon said, they know more about the "scriptures" than the colonials themselves.

boombye

[48]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 1
    I'll just go right out and say this, but this could be a variation of the "Experiments in Terra" episode from the original. They had thought Terra was Earth but found out that it was not Earth and the Terrans had no knowledge of Earth and were about to destroy each other in a civil war between the East and West of that planet, and Adama wonders what if they're both wrong. Perhaps in our version, Galactica gets there too late and those two sides have already wiped each other out, and there's nobody left to confirm for Galactica that the name of the planet was Terra.

BenRyan33

[49]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    123home123 wrote:
    Other people had mentioned the cross in the rubble but I missed it until I saw the screenshots below. Interesting although is it an actual cross or just a piece of decorative facing that looks like a cross because of the way it broke off from the original building?
    I didn't catch the cross in the rubble at first but looking at the pictures in this thread I looked at it more as decoration that looks like a cross because of how it broke. I guess we'll have to wait to find out for sure though.

kanniballl

[50]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 18

boombye wrote:
    I'll just go right out and say this, but this could be a variation of the "Experiments in Terra" episode from the original. They had thought Terra was Earth but found out that it was not Earth and the Terrans had no knowledge of Earth and were about to destroy each other in a civil war between the East and West of that planet, and Adama wonders what if they're both wrong. Perhaps in our version, Galactica gets there too late and those two sides have already wiped each other out, and there's nobody left to confirm for Galactica that the name of the planet was Terra.

True, I didn't think of that. In fact I almost forgot those couple of episodes dealing with the colony (when they found the sublight ship) and the main planet (where Apollo/Starbuck met the Angelic figure again).

And didn't they find a "Terran" colony by following the Vector provided by Apollo & company after visiting the Ship of Light? Kind of like here they found this planet following etheral clues.

It's definitely possible, I don't recall seeing enough Continental features this time to be able to say (unlike last season's finale).

Eh, I could see it being Earth or something unrelated. However with only 12-or-so episodes left they would have a lot of ground to cover if it wasn't:

• Who is the Fifth Cylon?
    • Who is pulling their strings?
    • Final confrontation between the rogue Cylon models and the rest.
    • What is going on in Balter's head? What about Caprica Six?
    • What's happening with Roslin's, Athena's, and Caprica Six's visions?
    • Baltar's little rant with the Centurion, that's gotta come into play somehow.
      • Perhaps it shared what it learned with the rest of Centurions and they will turn on some/all of the skinjobs?
    • What's going to happen with Baltar's religion?
    • Various relationships:
      • Adama and Roslin
      • Starbuck and her two men
    The list just goes on. Throw a "it's not really Earth" in there and it's too much.
    Edited on 06/16/2008 12:34pm
    Edited 4 total times.

hazelnut144

[51]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't think that they'll use the whole Terra thing from the original series. Also, this series doesn't miraculously find humans on every planet they visit. I think that if they find any other intelligent life, it will be the thirteenth tribe. This BSG has stayed as far away as possible from classic Sci-Fi cliches, and finding other intelligent life (aliens or random other humans) would definitely be one of those cliches.

BlackAlpha666

[52]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 1
    But what proof is there that this is Earth? I tried to identify the landmasses, at some point you can see a part of a continent on the right of the screen, with many big islands to the left of the continent and a lot of water to the left of the islands. But they all just seem alien to me.

kanniballl

[53]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 18

BlackAlpha666 wrote:
    But what proof is there that this is Earth? I tried to identify the landmasses, at some point you can see a part of a continent on the right of the screen, with many big islands to the left of the continent and a lot of water to the left of the islands. But they all just seem alien to me.

Agreed, unlike last season's finale I don't recall getting a good enough view of any large land mass.

The only thing we have is their interpretation of the constellations they got from the Tomb of Athena, which I'm assuming match up to our own. And if they didn't match up, I'm sure after the scene in the Tomb of Athena we'd be hearing from irate astronomer viewers.

torrijos

[54]Jun 16, 2008
    One thing though : watching again the scene at the end of "Crossroads" when we get a flyby of Earth, from the sun configuration it should be the morning on the east side and late at night on the west side, and it seems to me that the west coast had lights.

So did Earth get nuked during the weeks since Kara returns? Or was I just dreaming about those lights?

torrijos

[55]Jun 16, 2008
    Checking on Google earth there are a lot of desert on the west coast -> lots of bright patch of land. So Earth was probably all nuked and toasted when Kara showed up.

crito84

[56]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 5

I think it would be a huge mistake if they came back from break and said "well that's not really Earth they foud but some other earth-like planet." If it isn't Earth, then all the build-up, the excitement, and the emotions of the characters just seems stupid, not to mention that it would taint the time when they do find Earth. Something along the lines of the boy who cried wolf. Really this is Earth, but that's what you said LAST time we found Earth. It would be a letdown if that happened.

This is Earth, and something terrible happened. Now we will see how the alliance holds up now that Earth is a wasteland, the revelation of the final cylon, the confrontation between the rebel cylons, the other models, and the centurians.

zukiki

[57]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 10

Agreed. This is earth. Accept it. Kara's viper wouldn't have lead them to just "some planet", the constallations seen on earth wouldn't be a match if it wasn't earth. The final cyclon isn't a ship, nor is it a "twin" of another model. This is BSG, they've demonstarated the use intelligent plots, not gimmicks or fake outs.

Cylons have been shown to display a immunity to radiation posioning, and since we know the final five are from earth, it's possible that more copies of these models are still there.

hazelnut144

[58]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    Also, they have already used Adama's "We found Earth" speech, and dramatically, having to do another one wouldn't quite work properly. They have also already used the whole cheering, everyone embracing each other, Lee going crazy and ripping off his jacket, etc.

Rivenhall

[59]Jun 18, 2008
    crito84 wrote:

I think it would be a huge mistake if they came back from break and said "well that's not really Earth they foud but some other earth-like planet." If it isn't Earth, then all the build-up, the excitement, and the emotions of the characters just seems stupid, not to mention that it would taint the time when they do find Earth. Something along the lines of the boy who cried wolf. Really this is Earth, but that's what you said LAST time we found Earth. It would be a letdown if that happened.

This is Earth, and something terrible happened. Now we will see how the alliance holds up now that Earth is a wasteland, the revelation of the final cylon, the confrontation between the rebel cylons, the other models, and the centurians.

Yes, dramatically it makes no sense for the planet to be anything but Earth. The whole build-up to arriving on Earth and having that horrendous letdown would be lost if they simply got their nav wrong.

The wasteland pushes the story further along in that the survivors have a 'now what' moment and need to completely change their thinking and their preconceived ideas as to how they proceed, which means more disagreements and potential conflict and people changing sides etc, therefore good drama potential. Far more interesting than just finding Earth to be exactly what they'd hoped.

ETA: I just realized that I'd more or less paraphrased the previous post without adding anything new myself. Apologies. The Final Cylon is Robert Stark.

Edited on 06/17/2008 11:32pm

torrijos

[60]Jun 18, 2008
    The final cylon is Bear Grylls, who else could survive a nuclear holocaust eating crickets and such ^^.