Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

[spoiler] Landing Site

wolf99000

[61]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 4
    maybe it is the real earth and as someone said starbuck some how when she found it destroyed the plant like that maybe they will have to go back and fix what she did remember the whole she will lead mankind to its end well in a way she now sort of has in a certain way
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

klabbeman

[62]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 6
    BlackAlpha666 wrote:
    But what proof is there that this is Earth? I tried to identify the landmasses, at some point you can see a part of a continent on the right of the screen, with many big islands to the left of the continent and a lot of water to the left of the islands. But they all just seem alien to me.

remember that its seems that they have arrived far far in in the future, 4000+ years...not our timeline
    alot of things can happen, nuclear winter, the continents has moved

misterwobbley

[63]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 1

klabbeman wrote:
    remember that its seems that they have arrived far far in in the future, 4000+ years...not our timeline alot of things can happen, nuclear winter, the continents has moved

Remember that this 4000+ years is the time frame from the when the 13 tribe left Kobol for Earth in the timeline of the colonies. There isnt anything to tie this time line into ours so the "Now" of the colonies could be 4000 years into the future, 50 000 years into the pasts for three weeks next Tuesday (ohmigodweareallgoingtodie ).

oz_island

[64]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    h00plah wrote:

Alright: I have taken four screenshots. One from the book Lee was looking at, and three from the land sight. Two of the land sight photos are relevant, the third isn't. The third is a shape of a "cross" in the rubble. I wasn't sure whether this was significant at all, or was just a coincidence.

Temple from book:

Pictures from "Temple"? Note: Wasn't sure which was which so decided to post both

And finally, the cross in the rubble:

I've been rewatching, and this is actually the Opera House on Kobol.

Edited on 06/20/2008 10:36am

Sektos

[65]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 10
    h00plah wrote:

Alright: I have taken four screenshots. One from the book Lee was looking at, and three from the land sight. Two of the land sight photos are relevant, the third isn't. The third is a shape of a "cross" in the rubble. I wasn't sure whether this was significant at all, or was just a coincidence.

Temple from book:

Pictures from "Temple"? Note: Wasn't sure which was which so decided to post both

And finally, the cross in the rubble:

Say the bridge looks like a particular bridge does not mean its a certain city. There is a limited number of the type of bridges you can build and they have the same general structure. From what we see there it could very well have been the Sydney Harbour Bridge (Go Australia ) but i didnt have that reaction when i saw it because the city ISNT going to be one of our Modern cities.

As soon as i saw the remains, as others have seen and got pics of, it snapped that thats the temple of Aurora. The area is littered with curved beams and parts of the dome (including the "cross"- its curved guys as part of the dome, its not a crucifix). Plus this connects to Kara and being effectively Aurora from the Episode where she died and was "transpotted" to earth, the Temple "leading" them there. PLus you have the fact it was brought up in the ep itself.

my1sunshine

[66]Jun 21, 2008
    Southern Manhattan has a very unique topography. This is why, for hundreds of years, during several battles..it served as the most strategicly defendable base in all the world. Trust me...they are standing on Brooklyn, and that's the Hudson river, and there's Manhattan across the river. And I'm not sure, but I think you can even see where the statue was on the river.

englishguy1969

[67]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 8

Everyone seem fixated on it being our Earth with our cities. RDM has said "it's what we call earth" in other words its Earth where the 13 tribe settled, built cities and eventually blew themselves up. its not our future or our past!

The 13th tribe obviously have moved on somewhere else and evolved into the final five and the final 10 episodes will deal with that.

guyroy1971

[68]Jun 23, 2008
    I agree with the last poster. Ronald Moore did say that and I believe that this is the "earth" as it exists in this fictional universe. This story never made claims that it is set in our world (like star trek, for example). I think the reason for this is that the Battlestar universe's mythology simply made it impossible to reconcile it with our reality (ex. greek myths have been defunct for thousands of years) I just think it was easier to create a new fictional earth than to try to explain how the colonial society believes in greek myths and has the ability to travel among the stars, or to explain where the technology went if it was the past. Any explaination they could come up with likely was too unbelievable, so the just created a new earth. This doesn't mean its not similar (the ruins could be this earth's new york) People are just too used to Star Trek. lol Other sci-fi movies and shows (like firefly and aliens) had fictional future earths and it seems likely the writers went this route as well.

my1sunshine

[69]Jun 23, 2008
    Both of you have good points. I'd never considered that. When we hear Earth we just naturally think..well, Earth... as we know it. I think it's part of our secret desire to fantasize that this could really be happening, and that they're coming to us. It's part of the joy of watching a really good work of fiction. Suspension of disbeleif. I wonder..there has to be a fanfic out there somewhere that has BSG meeting Trek. I'd like to read it.
    Edited on 06/23/2008 11:03am

nottynotme

[70]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 3

I have to dsagree, there are a couple clues that show it is "our" earth. The main one is the cross. I know this could be explained other ways maybe, but a cross near a temple seems to signify Christianity. Jesus on the cross has to be considered pretty unique. If you look close behind the actors on the shore, there appears to be a car frame and even a car underbelly in the scene. Which makes sense if the shore is under what appears to be a ruined bridge.

There is also a crucifix on a sculpted stone.

Edited on 06/23/2008 11:39am

hazelnut144

[71]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 8
    I'm not sure about the cross. First of all, it COULD have just been the way that the building collapsed. Also, a cross is a pretty common symbol. It's also a very simple symbol, so some alternate Earth would be likely enough to develop it for some other reason.

my1sunshine: I think I read a Star Trek/BSG/Stargate crossover where everyone gets killed by Q...it was somewhat random. And wouldn't it be amazing if suddenly the Galactica landed just outside your city or something. Another fanfic I read had the Colonials on Earth, and it has one of them saying "You guys go ahead, I just want to take a look at this show that's premiering today. One of the civies got permission to make our story into a tv show. Some Moore guy..."

my1sunshine

[72]Jun 23, 2008

hazelnut144 wrote:
    my1sunshine: I think I read a Star Trek/BSG/Stargate crossover where everyone gets killed by Q...it was somewhat random. And wouldn't it be amazing if suddenly the Galactica landed just outside your city or something. Another fanfic I read had the Colonials on Earth, and it has one of them saying "You guys go ahead, I just want to take a look at this show that's premiering today. One of the civies got permission to make our story into a tv show. Some Moore guy..."

Lol! I love it!

mialza

[73]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 14
    It is our Earth in a geographical sense. At the end of season three they showed Earth, and it was a picture of the Eastern Seaboard of the US. While it is Earth in that way I agree with those who say it is not our Earth culturally as we see it. The one defense I see for them landing in New York is that geographically it is an ideal place for a city. When the 13th tribe landed on Earth and was looking for a place to build a city, Manhattan Island would look pretty good. I would think that many of the BSG Earth cities would end up in similar places as our own. Our ancestors chose those locations for a reason. In the US alone I would assume they would build in New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, San Fransisco and possibly Los Angeles just for trade and travel access. The city in the background of the landing site might very well be what we call NYC, but just a different name and configuration.

123home123

[74]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 55
    A "Star Trek meets BSG" story reminds me too much of "Aliens vs. Predator." That's not a compliment. AVP kind of destroys the dramatic strength of both of those franchises and messes up the mythology. (I've only read a summary of AVP but if the Aliens were already on Earth, then the earlier movies don't make much sense.)

Though I watched "Star Trek" in the past, all of those "bumpy-headed aliens" wouldn't fit in a BSG story.

Interesting about the possibility that the Earth they found is not actually our own Earth. I'm not sure if the writers would go down that path. That means they could make anything up. Then why are there so many parallels to the culture and religion of ancient Greece? I think there is some sort of connection, though I haven't figured out how.

my1sunshine

[75]Jun 24, 2008

123home123 wrote:
    A "Star Trek meets BSG" story reminds me too much of "Aliens vs. Predator." That's not a compliment. AVP kind of destroys the dramatic strength of both of those franchises and messes up the mythology. (I've only read a summary of AVP but if the Aliens were already on Earth, then the earlier movies don't make much sense.) Though I watched "Star Trek" in the past, all of those "bumpy-headed aliens" wouldn't fit in a BSG story. Interesting about the possibility that the Earth they found is not actually our own Earth. I'm not sure if the writers would go down that path. That means they could make anything up. Then why are there so many parallels to the culture and religion of ancient Greece? I think there is some sort of connection, though I haven't figured out how.

Well, of course, such a crossover would never be taken seriously, or as canon. It's just fans letting their love and imagination run wild. But some of the fanfiction doews get incredibly imaginative and creative. You'd be surprised.

123home123

[76]Jun 24, 2008
    Well, actually I'm in the process of writing my own fan-fiction novel, which you can read on my other TV.com account. (I'm going to try to complete it this summer and fall.)

Unlike the "Star Trek meets BSG" stories, I'm trying to stick to the tone and approach of the BSG series, so no strange aliens in my novel either.

It's not that I don't like to have fun in general but outright frivolity just doesn't seem right with BSG, other than the occasional humorous Baltar quote. I'll leave the satire to others. I'll be too busy concentrating on my novel later on this summer.

Forsakenyes

[77]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 2
    What surprises me is that in all the scripture and all the talk of constellations that there is no mention of the moon. The moon is a very unique signature of earth and figures prominently in astronomy/astrology. You would think that such a unique object would have been mentioned for those seeking to find earth.

Idbeolderifiwas

[78]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 20
    Forsakenyes wrote:
    What surprises me is that in all the scripture and all the talk of constellations that there is no mention of the moon. The moon is a very unique signature of earth and figures prominently in astronomy/astrology. You would think that such a unique object would have been mentioned for those seeking to find earth.

It's not all that special. Most planets have a moon/many moons so it's not like it's a distinguishing mark that separates Earth from countless other planets in the Galaxy. The Constellations are a better marker as they only line up if you are really close to Earth so it's a really good indicator of where you are.

song85

[79]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    with a statue of liberty it would be too similar to planet of the apes

123home123

[80]Jun 26, 2008
    What about that strange moon-looking object that we've seen twice in the series? I think the first time we saw it was in the Miniseries. I think the second time was when the camera zoomed out from the fleet in "Crossroads, Part 2" or it might have been a different episode. The moon-type object has a big chunk torn out of one side. It comes into view as the camera focuses on the Galactica. I've never been able to figure out if it has any significance.