TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

[spoiler] Landing Site

Forsakenyes

[81]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 2
    Idbeolderifiwas wrote:
    Forsakenyes wrote:
    What surprises me is that in all the scripture and all the talk of constellations that there is no mention of the moon. The moon is a very unique signature of earth and figures prominently in astronomy/astrology. You would think that such a unique object would have been mentioned for those seeking to find earth.

It's not all that special. Most planets have a moon/many moons so it's not like it's a distinguishing mark that separates Earth from countless other planets in the Galaxy. The Constellations are a better marker as they only line up if you are really close to Earth so it's a really good indicator of where you are.

Actually while many planets have moons, we have not yet discovered a planet that has a moon that is so big in size compared to its host planet. Our moon appears to be quite unique.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hazelnut144

[82]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    123home123 wrote:
    What about that strange moon-looking object that we've seen twice in the series? I think the first time we saw it was in the Miniseries. I think the second time was when the camera zoomed out from the fleet in "Crossroads, Part 2" or it might have been a different episode. The moon-type object has a big chunk torn out of one side. It comes into view as the camera focuses on the Galactica. I've never been able to figure out if it has any significance.

oh yeah....ummm it is seen at the end of Razor is it not?? I wondered if that had some meaning. I don't think it was in Crossroads though.

my1sunshine

[83]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 12

hazelnut144 wrote:
    123home123 wrote:
    What about that strange moon-looking object that we've seen twice in the series? I think the first time we saw it was in the Miniseries. I think the second time was when the camera zoomed out from the fleet in "Crossroads, Part 2" or it might have been a different episode. The moon-type object has a big chunk torn out of one side. It comes into view as the camera focuses on the Galactica. I've never been able to figure out if it has any significance.
    oh yeah....ummm it is seen at the end of Razor is it not?? I wondered if that had some meaning. I don't think it was in Crossroads though.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only time other then the mini-series that we see it, is at the end of the Razor webisodes, which end precisely when the mini-series begins (the scene with Adama and Doral in the museum deck). To signify that, they actually use the same exact shot as in the mini-series (zooming from the moon to Galactica), except in reverse (from Galactica to the moon). I don't remember seeing it in any other episode.

0hBoy

[84]Jun 30, 2008
    sheli20 wrote:
    aloyoon wrote:
    it is our earth it doesn't matter which city and i think Starbuck did it

I agree this could be a good explanation.
    she could have done it by accident without even realizing it

...'cause she's a cylon!

tripping82

[85]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 14
    kanniballl wrote:
    Baltar's little rant with the Centurion, that's gotta come into play somehow.
    • Perhaps it shared what it learned with the rest of Centurions and they will turn on some/all of the skinjobs?

That Centurion was killed after the Main Resurrection shipped was destroyed...it couldn't have shared what it learned.

Bionetic

[86]Jul 1, 2008
    About the landing site, what if that last scene depicting the landing site was another prophetic vision/dream. I think this was mentioned before but wasn't addressed much. So hypothetically, they reach Earth, but mid-jump the vision occurs as a portant warning of the dangers their arrival at earth might bring.

It would be very similar to what happened the the orignal BSG except with a more dramatic scene to represent the revelation.

123home123

[87]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 55
    my1sunshine wrote:

hazelnut144 wrote:
    123home123 wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only time other then the mini-series that we see it, is at the end of the Razor webisodes, which end precisely when the mini-series begins (the scene with Adama and Doral in the museum deck). To signify that, they actually use the same exact shot as in the mini-series (zooming from the moon to Galactica), except in reverse (from Galactica to the moon). I don't remember seeing it in any other episode.

Yeah, I think you're right about that. I forgot about the "minisodes." (The Razor flashbacks aired on TV first, not on the Internet.)

I've never been able to figure out why they showed that strange object.

eater11

[88]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 18

Why are people trying to figure out which city it is on our earth and which time period it is and why that couldn't work etc. It is an alternative universe so everything could be different it doesn't have to connections to our earth to make sense.

As was said before it isn't our future or past because it isn't our earth. Also they have been to one city in one country on earth so how do we know that their aren't humans in other places on earth.

Edited on 07/02/2008 1:05am

123home123

[89]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 55
    It's because of the origins of the BSG franchise, which was influenced by the pop-history book Chariots of the Gods. The author believed that the Egyptian pyramids and other ancient structures had been built by space-faring people from another planet. (Few scientists believe the book has any merit, but it's interesting as a source for fictional sci-fi ideas.)

Also, the original BSG series (well, the Galactica 1980 sequel) showed the fleet ending up on our Earth. Obviously that hasn't happened with this show but Moore and Eick often adapt plot elements from the original BSG and rework them into something intriguing. It could be our Earth or it could be something different entirely.

tripping82

[90]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    123home123 wrote:
    It's because of the origins of the BSG franchise, which was influenced by the pop-history book Chariots of the Gods. The author believed that the Egyptian pyramids and other ancient structures had been built by space-faring people from another planet. (Few scientists believe the book has any merit, but it's interesting as a source for fictional sci-fi ideas.)

Additional note: The Stargate Series is also base on this book.

hazelnut144

[91]Jul 2, 2008
    heh. Egyptian pyramids as landing pads for the Goa'uld

As to Earth, I really can't decide whether I think it is "our" Earth or an alternate one. The fact that there is so much debate on which city it is leads me to believe that it may not be specifically a city on Earth, though perhaps something that combines elements of some actual Earth cities. The Temple of Aurora (or what I am assuming is the wreckage of this) leads me to lean towards it being an Earth very similar, yet not exactly the same as ours.

AndreasOS

[92]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 6

First, About that cross. It looks to me like that is the very top of a Dome, where the cross is formed by four lines, maybe coming up to the tops from some features (Entranceway's, Pillars, etc) I don't think it's necessarily Christian.

Second, Am I right in saying there were 12 Lords of Kobol? Is it possible that the 12 Cylon Models may be the Lords of Kobol? Athena, Caprica, D'Anna, Saul, Galen, Hera. They all kind of sound like they could be Hellenic. Maybe this is the start of a new Cycle. I think it was one of the hybrids said "They are all playing their roles. The characters are different but the cycle is the same."