Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

*SPOILERS* Is this the BSG story (mostly) figured out?

Spartan1point1

[1]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 1

Hey guys I've never posted here before but after happening upon Isaac Asimov's The Last Question I felt I had to. To those who've never read the story, it can be found here

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

It's about a time in the future when computers become so intelligent they're able to improve themselves. When this happens, humanity's achievments are meant to increase at a phenomenal rate since the computers will be working things out for us, whilst improving themselves. This time is known as technological singularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Now either I've got BSG on the brain or I'm onto something here.

SPOILERS

I couldn't help but think this could have something to do with the whole BSG story. There were a few similarities that struck me: humans in the future have lost contact with Earth and aren't even sure where the original galaxy was.

"Unhappily, Zee Prime began collecting interstellar hydrogen out of which to build a small star of his own. If the stars must someday die, at least some could yet be built." -

Doesn't this action seem a little implausible? Then again, humans by this point seemed to have evolved with technology to the point where we are a)Immortal b)Incredibly intelligent c) All of a sudden able to create stars. Don't these sound like Gods? Are these The Lords of Kobol? Could the Cylon God be something like the "God" presented at the end? Were they the predecessors to the Cylon God?

How can a civilisation not remember a time when interstellar travel was not possible? Who knows when Earth was obliterated. Maybe it didn't matter so much since humanity seems to have been able to expand across the universe easily.

Perhaps the Cylons came into contact with the descendant of humanity's computer, fusing with the Cylons and becoming their god.

"All this has happened before, and will happen again". Sound familiar? The last question certainly implies some kind of universal cycle.

I'm not saying the Bsg universe is that of the last question but could certainly be similar and indeed inspired by such a work.

If I've gotten anything wrong here feel free to enlighten me. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 55
    The idea of the technological singularity has been explored in many other popular movies and TV shows, including The Matrix and Terminator movie series. No doubt this also plays an important role in the BSG series.

You should check out the episode discussion thread for "Revelations." Several people have also been discussing possible similarities between the main BSG story arc and the works of Isaac Asimov. You might find those posts interesting.

my1sunshine

[3]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    Welcome to the forum.