Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

SPOILERS: Who guessed who the 5th Cylon would be? Kudos to you!!!

Bionetic

[1]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 8
    I was just curious, who guessed who the Final Cylon would be? I was just curious. It also help if you could post a link to where you posted that you believed Ellen Tigh was 5th Cylon. And for those of you who don't know kudos means lots of respect (even if it was a guess).
    Edited on 01/17/2009 11:14am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bionetic

[2]Jan 17, 2009
    markcgraham wrote:

A lot of scratching of the head and "what if..." conversations have been had in this household.

Quick and wild guesses here but I am thinking that the final Cylon may consisit of one of the follwing: Ellen Tigh (collaborating, devious, manipulative, wanted Saul to control the Fleet, was appearing to Saul when he was with Six), that lady from the Quorum (who interacted with Roslin's mind ala Virtual Six during the Basestar jumps) or Baltar's lawyer (New character introduced at the near end of a run).

Probably totally wrong on all three counts but it just can't be Starbuck, her destiny is fulfilling itself beautifully and tragically.

hash1978

[3]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    Well...not me. She may well be the only major/minor character I didn't include in my list of candidates at some point

Daxx00004

[4]Jan 17, 2009
    You know, I had it narrowed down to either Zack Adama or Ellen. I believed it was someone who died (not on the fleet) but was significant to the lead characters, otherwise what is the point of all the dragging it out. I cannot for the life of me find where I posted it though. I am still wondering if Ellen isn't going to show up somewhere reborn somehow. I was hoping for Zack. It would have been interesting considering he was engaged to Kara and now she has a thing for Lee.

annpo

[5]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 13
    Well, I NEVER thought of Ellen Tigh at any time. And I don't think I would've thought of her if the show had gone for another 5 years. My money was always on Dualla or Roslin.

Oh well....There's been some spirited conversations in my household about this since "Sometimes a Great Notion". Most consider it's a crock because there was no hint, or reason. Ellen was just a shrew, a harpy. Even when she was pushing Tigh to take over the ship, it could just as easily be attributed to an ambitious wife rather than a cylon with ulterior motives.

Can't wait to see where the rest of the story goes now that we don't have to worry about the final cylon anymore.

wounds

[6]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 24
    We've to wait and see if she actually is the 5th or Saul only mixed his memories with that weird flashback/memory/vision/whatever.
    On other shows and movies they used this... people had a vision and used people they know to fill in some blanks.

As of now I wouldn't call it confirmed she's the 5th.

scififan12921

[7]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 6

Hi Bionetic,

I guessed it but don't know how to move my post from the Forum "Last chance for crazy theories"

psychickiller

[8]Jan 18, 2009
    I didn't think it would be Ellen, I accepted something a little more major than that. It was put very well in the series itself, and overall the whole thing is completely messed up at the moment... So I guess that direction makes sense.

I just watched, so I'm still trying to digest this insane episode!

weordie

[9]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 1
    Am I the only one noticing a hole in the plot here? At the start Gauis made a cylon detector, which he eventually said didnt work after boomer was revealed as a cylon but the viewers know it did because it showed him she was a cylon. Well when he tested ellen's blood it showed she wasn't a cylon so how can she be the final cylon? I'm sure we will have ppl say maybe its because the final 5 have different physiology but this seems like a weak excuse to me! Surely it has to be someone else now. Not starbuck though.

MrBovineOrdure

[10]Jan 18, 2009

They never showed the test results for Ellen. When six inquired, Baltar mearly said "I'll never tell".

Also, Ellen wasn't "Just a harpie or a shrew". There was very good evidence that she was the final one as you'll see by following the posts below;

My initial guesses ranged from Sharon's Baby (Which I now feel like might still have somthing more to reveal), Doc Cottle, Dirk Benedict, Then I started feeling very strongly about Ellen and with few exceptions stuck with her (This was back in April 2008.);

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/poll-who-is-the-final-cylon-spoilers/topic/11046-694794/msgs.html?page=10&tag=pagination;next

I even mentioned she looked almost like 6 in a tight dress.

I stuck to my guns in later posts only dropping Capt. Kelly's name as a brain-dropping.

Also stuck to my guns on;

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/re-watch-observations-spoilers/topic/11046-1117239/msgs.html?msg_id=12217517#5

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/bsg-5th-cylon-discovered!/topic/11046-1091542/msgs.html?msg_id=11487569#9

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/discussion---andquotrevelationsandquot-u.s.-air-date-6-13-08-spoilers/topic/11046-1087598/msgs.html?msg_id=11328894#2

and 2 posts here

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/discussion-andquotguess-whats-coming-to-dinnerandquot-5-16-08-spoilers/topic/11046-1073812/msgs.html?msg_id=11152719#14

Mr BO

Edited on 01/18/2009 11:38am
    Edited 5 total times.

ISpeakTheTruth

[11]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 33

Well not to brag but I thought it was going to be here since June. After I post this I'll give the address for the thread I made about the original Hybrid's prophecy but here is the part that is most important. "And the fifth, still in shadow, will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering." -Now here is where we can debate about the meaning of his prophecy and here is where I will make a guess about who he is talking about. Ellen Tigh: Clawing for light makes me think that the fifth has been 'killed' and buried and claws their way out of the grave. And redemption meaning Ellen's working with the Cylons. You may disagree. Man I'm good lol Her

Here is the address: http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/prophecy-of-the-first-hybrid-spoilers/topic/11046-1099803/msgs.html

Edited on 01/18/2009 11:28am

Stingseven

[12]Jan 18, 2009

With all due respect, I hope no one is pulling any muscles patting themselves on the back, cuz I am not so sure Ellen is the fifth! All we know is Saul had some sort of flashback and gasped to himself that Ellen is the fifth. How do we know he's right? She said they would be reborn together... we don't know when exactly that memory he had took place. Maybe they were already "reborn" and she's dead again!

Meanwhile, Starbuck finds the wreckage of her ship, and HERSELF by the way, dead as disco, and gives herself a Viking funeral. Um, if Starbuck is dead... what is walking around now? A show as clever as Battlestar could make a very subtle reveal like this. I'm going with it... we know who the fifth is alright... its Starbuck!

ockitheman

[13]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 11

I think they ALL are cylons, or at least their progeny.

Think about it.. if the 13th tribe were all cylons, they had to at some point lived amongst the humans of the twelve colonies.

I think (most of) the crew of Galactica are their offspring.

We've already learned that cylons can produce (boomer)

Jeric-Ho

[14]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 34
    I did not guess it was Ellen and would not have guessed in a million years! but do think that Ellen could possible be an aged model Six model, they do look similar, blonde, same frame/figure, just older, but if this was the case then Ellen would have looked like Six when she was younger, and surely Tigh would have said something about Six looking like a younger verson of his own Wife.

Bionetic

[15]Jan 20, 2009
    Here are MrBovineOrdure's posts. He posted the links, but I just took the time to post the actual quotes. MrBovineOrdure, can you explain how you narrowed your choice down to Ellen. I still can't wrap my head around it.
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

I think it's a mistake to assume that head-6 is the same as Caprica-6 with all her memories. I tend to think it's a means for whoever is running this gambit to make a line of communications with a human. She may not have all the memories of Caprica-6. Then again, whoever is running this would surely know the identities of all the Cylons. Also as I mentioned before, Caprica-6 may have known the person she turned to saying "It's about time...". My thoughts are that the plan to bring down the mainframe may have required the involvement of the final one. Since memory wipes seem to be common among the Cylons, it's certainly within the capability of the final one to use Caprica-6 for as long as she was needed, then wipe her mind when everything was set.

Another instance of a Cylon denying the existence (though omission) is when they went back to Caprica to rescue Anders and his party. Brother Cavil introduced himself into the crowd (wonder why none of Ander's troops caught the addition of this stranger, they couldn't have thought he came with the landing party, after all, why would a rescue party need a pastor; one not heavily armed and flack-jacketed) Sharon didn't identify him. Adama sused that out right away when Cavil made it back to the Galactica, was immediately IDed and Adama pointed to Sharon and said; "Take that thing to the brig" knowing she knew about Cavil and not saying anything about it. She DID say she would never identify another Cylon later, and she had the added hatred of having lost her baby.

Yes, I'm currently rewatching the episodes too. I'm just staring season 3. I've mentioned that with all the clues dropped, I think the final one is Ellen. One thing I didn't realize is that she must be the one who murdered the would-be assassin of Rosalyn on Cloud-9. Apart from Zarek (who ended up telling Rosalyn that he wasn't responsible for killing him) Ellen was the only other one who knew about this. Sure Zarek could have been lying. My gut tells me he wasn't. It's still a mysery as to why she did that. On the surface, it may have been to protect Zarek whom she preferred to be president, but if she's the final one, why mess with the Dying-leader predictions unless the Cylon plan is to break the cycle of time?

Its truely a joy to go through these episodes!

Mr BO

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

This is why I feel it's Ellen Tigh. D'Anna was around enough to know she was dead on New Caprica. It's very likely that Ellen won't try to get back into the fleet if she faked her death or ressurected.

Then again as many folks pointed out, perhaps she's lying. That she knows she doesn't need the 5th to get to earth.

Mr BO

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

I've always thought that there's more information to show that Ellen was the final Cylon and have posted my arguments elsewhere. Thing is, dramatically, it would be a pretty ineffective outcome. These guys seem to like to write the "Everybody dies and goes to hell" kind of stories.

After seeing Bill Adama's breakdown at finding his bests friend is a Cylon, I'd figure that if Rosalin is the final one, he'd be ready for the rubber room. Still I hope it's not her, but she was one of the ones on the Cylon ship at the time D'anna was taking captives. If she's already there, then she would only need to ask for 4 more.

It's too obvious which is why they won't do that. (I sincerely hope!)

As to Earth, one of the first things I notices was that while they didn't really show any of the land masses, you did get good looks at the dark side of the earth. IT WAS DARK! That alone told me the planet was uninhabited. (Even at that range, if there are satellites, you really wouldn't see them) All we know is that the spot they chose to land on was radioactive, and had man-made structures on it. Though they said the star patterns matched, I wonder how really different the patterns would be from our neighbor; Alpha Centuri?

None the less, I'm convinced that it is Earth they're on. It is what it is. Sooooo.....

Is all of earth like that? Are there any inhabitable places? (Arguments over a nuclear war launching all our weapons say that it won't extinguish all life, but it would mostly live in our seas) Would they find records? Can they read the languages if there were? Do we have "Tillium" deposits on Earth? Is the Opera house on Earth? Is it still standing? Will they take a gander at the moon and see evidence of our primitive space-travel? Who grabbed Kara that had the power to flash her to Earth and back again? Why would that person do this knowing the Earth is a pretty dead planet?

All this and more needs to be answered in the final 10-12 episodes!

Mr BO

MrBovineOrdure wrote:

They're doing everything to point to Gaeta as the final one. Not wanting to be put under. I sort of expected the line to be like this;

Gaeta: I don't want to wake up missing a leg

Doc Cottle: So you want to be awake while it's taken off?!?!? Tell me how that's an improvement!

The singing to deal with the pain. His ability to calculate jumps with accuracy. Setting up firewalls almost good enough to keep the Cylons out..... There's lots of setup here.

I still think the final one is Ellen for reasons posted elsewhere, especially after examining the dialogue from "Tigh me up Tigh me down".

On a couple of different notes. I wonder what Starbuck's answer was to Tigh's question; "So which one of them shot Gaeta?". That answer would have a lot to do with uncovering the mutiny. Is Helo, Seelix, and Gaeta going to "Walk away" from that one?

One other thing I never noticed before.

Those double barreled cannons on the outside of Galactica that presumably throw up the anti missile barrage. When we see that thing wheeling around early in the episode, I noticed a bubble in the middle of the two cannons that looked very much like the firing chambers on the Millennium Falcon. 2 people inside.

It sure explains a lot. I had assumed that those batteries were computer controlled, but apparently not. They've got people inside those controlling the salvos.

Pretty cool stuff.

Mr BO

Bionetic

[16]Jan 20, 2009
    scififan12921, is this the post you were talking about.
    scififan12921 wrote:

ok, since you asked for crazy theory, here's mine: the whole "this has happened before and will happen again" is that the 13th colony was actually evolved cylons. when things went bad on Kobol they went their seperate ways. However, the humans didn't learn and invented cylons again, they rebel and evolve again. I know that holes can be blown in this in many ways but the more I try to figure out the final cylon the crazier my ideas get. I now actually think the final will be someone we've seen before but that has already died-like Admiral Cain or Ellen Tigh.

On a side note, I should mention I also guessed Ellen at some point. I'd noticed that the 4 Cylons that were revealed all had a T as one of their initials. Samuel T. Anders, Galen Tyrol, Saul Tigh, Tory Foster. I had come up with this theory that the final Cylon also would have a letter T in one of their initials. Based on that point I had narrowed down the list to Kara Thrace, Tom Zarek, Ellen Tigh, and Cally Tyrol. Of course I was leaning towards it being Kara. At the end of the day I would have never guessed Ellen. I should also note I also guessed Roslyn and Baltar. but that was before I came up with T theory. At least i was right that the fifth would have a T in their name

MrBovineOrdure

[17]Jan 21, 2009

StingSeven is right when he says not to be too self-congratulatory. The place where the hints were dropped (1st season) were WELL before they actually decided that it would be Ellen (End of 3rd Season) That being said, they still used a lot of the writing bag-o-tricks to point that direction.

The first time I glommed onto Ellen as the final one was in re-watching "Tigh me up, Tigh me down". That's where I become convinced.

First of all, in the miniseries, there's that scene where Caprica six turns to someone off-screen and says "It's about time you got here". People who are off-screen are always revealed at the end. Why else do such a scene? So I thought Six was talking to whoever was pulling all the strings. (The head honcho who will turn out to be the final cylon)

In Tigh me up, Ellen's back-story was unverifiable. She claims to have been on Picon (Anywhere else but caprica meeting with that six) and transported unconscious to some ship in the fleet. At this point they've been on the run for a little over a month, but no-one remembers her more than two weeks ago. Her back-story is covered.

The first thing she wanted to know when she had dinner with Adama, Tigh, Rosalyn and Lee is "Where's Earth?" At the time I figured the Cylons know about it and she wanted to see if she could casually get any Intel she could on where the fleet is going. In retrospect, since she already knew the location of Earth (having been there) I think this still works. Just getting a feel as to how confident the command staff felt about where they're going.

Baltar's "Cylon Detector" was always functional. It worked. It detected Boomer as a Cylon. Baltar muddied the waters because his Head-six wanted him to or in the very least, put the fear of god into him as to what a Cylon might to do him should he reveal any identities. He intentionally stated that "He'll never tell" what his test revealed of Ellen. What this means in the pathos of Baltar is unclear. He has a tremendous amount of self-guilt over his role in dooming humanity, but he still has that insatiable lust and intrigue over the opposite sex.

These are all "Guns on the mantle" writing devices that screamed Ellen to me.

Why not others?

Bill Adama - He's the heroic centerpiece. With him being a Cylon, I'd question the show's whole premise that there's much of a difference between human and cylon

Lee Adama - Well, Bill's wife would have had to have been a Cylon. She's an alcoholic, and a couple of Cylons liked to imbibe excessively, but again, Lee's a heroic center too.

Kara/Starbuck - Who knows, she could be a Cylon now, Perhaps she was then too. We don't know who her father was. Just something about her demeanor just doesn't scream; "Leader of a race" to me. Just a feeling.

Rosalyn - She had cancer that was cured by Human/Cylon blood. Since administering human blood would have done nothing to cure her, I must assume the Cylon component did. If she were Cylon, she probably wouldn't have contracted cancer in the first place.

Helo - Has to be human, otherwise, why would the Cylons make such a fuss over that baby? Sure, he could have been a final one and did like Tigh did to the Six, but that'd be anti-climactic.

Gaetta - Of all the ones, he would have been my second choice. He could plot long jumps. They hadn't really gone into his back story though. To reveal him as the final cylon without any clues other than his ability with computers would have felt like a cheat.

Dualla - She's always willing to bend the rules, but I saw nothing else that were "Clues" in her behavior.

Tom Zarek - We don't see much of him either. Not much back-story other than he was a freedom-fighter/terrorist. Again, no real clues he's nothing more than a shady character.

Doc Cottle - As folks rightly stated. Too obscure. Not enough film time to justify making him a cylon.

Mr BO

scififan12921

[18]Jan 21, 2009

Bionetic-yes that's the post. I'm fairly new at this could someone tell me how to put the posts I would like to include in a reply ? I have the book Excel for Dummies but I need one for forum posting. I think this season is going to have some great discussion and I want to take part without looking too much like a goof.

psychickiller

[19]Jan 22, 2009
    scififan12921 wrote:

Bionetic-yes that's the post. I'm fairly new at this could someone tell me how to put the posts I would like to include in a reply ? I have the book Excel for Dummies but I need one for forum posting. I think this season is going to have some great discussion and I want to take part without looking too much like a goof.

You mean like that? Just click on 'Quote' or 'Quick Quote'.

scififan12921

[20]Jan 22, 2009
    psychickiller wrote:
    scififan12921 wrote:

You mean like that? Just click on 'Quote' or 'Quick Quote'.

Thanks!