Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

The Cylon Register (spoilers)

123home123

[101]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 55
    I don't miss Boxey at all. He was annoying and bratty. It's not that interesting to watch a sullen teenager sulking and mouthing off to everyone. And he still has that goofy, effeminate bowl cut, just like in the original BSG series. Now that the original Galactica Sharon is dead, there is even less reason to ever bring Boxey back.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Im2Crazy4U

[102]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 51
    muchosgracias wrote:
    I believe that there are also Cylon children, Boxi is a damned good candidate. Remember how he and Sharon in the miniseries just got along so well and how she guarded him and made him an honorary member of the Galactica crew, soon after they left Earth along with the other rescued survivors.

Who would suspect children as dangerous anyway? No one on Galactica do.

There is no evidence of Cylon children. Plus, since they don't grow, it would be very obvious after about a year of non-growth that the kid wasn't human.

Don't forget that in the mini-series Boomer didn't yet know she was a Cylon. She was just acting like a big sister.

Having not watched the TOS version I care nothing for that kid that would only have been annoying. Boxi's gone ... let's celebrate

123home123

[103]Dec 3, 2005
    The Number Six entry on the list should be amended to include Gina, the copy found on the Pegasus.

MattBoxer

[104]Dec 5, 2005
    • level: 9
    done

Wedo765

[105]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 10
    What about Anders on Caprica, he very easily could be trying to make a relationship with Starbuck, like Boomer did with Helo, and seemed intent on getting Starbuck to find Earth and Boomers line about "They could even set you up with someone u like" at the end of the farm seemed a little weird, plus theres just something off about the guy

MattBoxer

[106]Dec 14, 2005
    hmmm...

the thing is i dont expect to see him again...

if he comes back into the story i will add him.

jeva1287

[107]Dec 15, 2005
    just read that they are going to bring back Anders for a 3 eps. story arc.

On another note, I am very suspicious of Baltar, here's why: remember how Sharon said that cylons couldn't reproduce with one another, what if 6 and Baltar were the test of that? I mean, they were sleeping together for 2 years. 6's constantly mentions that he is not one of them (the humans). Why else would #6 reffer to Sharon & Helo's baby as there own (6 & Baltar's) if not meaning the a Cylon baby, "this is the child of the cylons" that sorta thing. And what about the whole 'he can see 6 in his head without a chip' thing? My explanation is that 6 is a subconscience visualisation of his cylon programing taking form of the first human he knew to be a cylon.

Lt. Geata is also on my list simply because his trekian demeanor and the fact that I don't believe that human being can speak technobabble so fluently

MattBoxer

[108]Dec 30, 2005
    ill add Anders.. but i think the evidence against is more compelling

123home123

[109]Dec 30, 2005
    You should change the number of confirmed Cylons. All six are listed but the number still reads "5".

[I don't think the previous sentence would look good with the period inside the quotes, even though that's the traditional rule. I think that's one rule that needs to go.]

briantw

[110]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 8
    Do we have any actual evidence that the Cylons don't grow? I mean, I find it rather odd that they're all more or less the same age(the confirmed models, anyway). Should we just assume that they were never children just because we've only seen them as adults?

Based on the fact that all of the confirmed Cylons appear to be of similar proximity in age, it is my opinion that Adama cannot possibly be a Cylon. There is also the fact that he has two children that at least a few other characters on the show knew(and it's doubtful that they're all Cylons) and the fact that he has a long, distinguished career in the military and that he presumably fought in the original war on the Cylons(when there were no human replicas).

Sure, the show could throw all of us for a loop, but I think that the evidence against such a twist is too compelling for the writers to challenge it.

MattBoxer

[111]Jan 1, 2006
    changed and added

plej

[112]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 2
    daslala wrote:
    Assuming that a) Baltar is not a cylon b) there must be a technical device implanted c) its not possible to hide a technial device from the scanners. We have evidance against "the Doc". (because the scan results were ostensibly negative)

So why Baltar doesn't use the scanner as a "Cylon Detector", if Boomer has a kind of optical device in her arm to upload something in the network, I think it would appear on a scanner...

BattlestarQ

[113]Jan 5, 2006
    briantw wrote:
    Do we have any actual evidence that the Cylons don't grow? I mean, I find it rather odd that they're all more or less the same age(the confirmed models, anyway). Should we just assume that they were never children just because we've only seen them as adults?

Based on the fact that all of the confirmed Cylons appear to be of similar proximity in age, it is my opinion that Adama cannot possibly be a Cylon. There is also the fact that he has two children that at least a few other characters on the show knew(and it's doubtful that they're all Cylons) and the fact that he has a long, distinguished career in the military and that he presumably fought in the original war on the Cylons(when there were no human replicas).

Sure, the show could throw all of us for a loop, but I think that the evidence against such a twist is too compelling for the writers to challenge it.

Personally I dont know of any evidence to say that clones are made into adults bypassing childhood completely.
    If i recall a story i read of 'Dolly' the cloned Sheep a few years back. When she was cloned she was essentially birthed as a baby lamb who matured into adulthood (for a sheep).

So on that note why can't Boxey be a Cylon?

Well i just had a thought as I replayed the series in my mind. In the original MINI SERIES at the very begining the opening scene was at the armistice station and the Colonial Officer there was Boxey's Father, he placed a picture of Boxey and i would assume his Wife and Boxey's Mother)on the desk he was at!
    So Boxey cant be a Cylon Clone he has a dad. Boxey even confirmed he has a Dad in the fleet when he was sitting shotgun with Boomer in the raptor when they left Caprica.

BattlestarQ

[114]Jan 5, 2006
    plej wrote:
    daslala wrote:
    Assuming that a) Baltar is not a cylon b) there must be a technical device implanted c) its not possible to hide a technial device from the scanners. We have evidance against "the Doc". (because the scan results were ostensibly negative)

So why Baltar doesn't use the scanner as a "Cylon Detector", if Boomer has a kind of optical device in her arm to upload something in the network, I think it would appear on a scanner...

I would also imagine that it should show in a Medical scanner. But beside Caprica boomer shoving a fiber optic line up her arm and sending a virus to the cylons. Lets not forget whats sitting in the Galactica Morgue but the original Boomer That shot Adama. Wouldnt that Boomer have been Medically Scanned?
    And the Caprica Boomer is pregnant so why hasnt She Been Medically Scanned Since she is now back on Galactica?

And lets recall the 'sex' Scenes we saw of Six, and Caprica Boomer. Their Back's Glowed Red During sex. That should Show on a Med Scan.

Dubius_Status

[115]Jan 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    I think that neither Adama and Baltar can be cyclons.

From a purely plot perspective, such a revelation would undermine the whole point of the series. Ha-HA! moments like the end of 'Final Cut' are good for shock value, but somewhat silly -- they become annoying clich├ęs after a while (we've already had two such moments back in the miniseries).

But back to my original point: if either of them turn out to be cylons, it totally blasts the premise of the humans vs machine conflict, with all of the philosophical and moral implications, dillemas and questionning that come with it.

Adama is the father/protector figure of the fleet, the man who has to make life-and-death command decisions. He struggles with the moral responsibilities, and sometimes has to question his choices.

Baltar is the sinner, tempted by the other 'evil' side, the one who is pivotal, the 'betrayer' figure. He's got his own issues to deal with, his own struggles. Again, to make him a cylon would suck the juice out of the whole story. It would make everything he's gone through (and, by extention, everything revealed by Number Six about 'purpose' and 'God' and 'plans') absolutely pointless.

For the story to be compelling on a human level, Adama and Baltar MUST be human.

I think this is also true for Apollo, Starbuck, Tyroll, Roslyn, Tigh and Zarek. Hell, I'll add Gaeta, Billy and Duella to the list right now.

In my opinion, The story practially requires for them to be human, otherwise whatever conflict we see over the course of the series is just a game of smoke and mirrors involving programmed machines -- the ultimate aim being (from a writer's point of view) to make the audience care about the character before pulling a 'gotcha!'

Note that I don't mind when new characters are introduced in suspicious circumstances. The doc back in 'The Farm' is one such example, and his arc with Starbuck made for a riveting hour of television.

On the other hand, if we get another surprise revelation involving one of the main characters in the fleet, I'll be really annoyed (even if it's the machiavellian Mrs. Tigh). Characters falling under suspicion is one thing, but if they actually turn out to be cyclons, the series may actually jump the shark as far as I'm concerned. There's only so many times you can play that card before it gets way, way too old.

Dubius_Status

[116]Jan 5, 2006
    One thing I'd like to add, seperately from the post above:

I think the writers may spring a different kind of trap on us: one of the characters could get captured (this works best as a cliffhanger in the last episode of the season) and confronted by a double -- setting up the shocking 'oh-my-God-I'm-a-cylon' revelation. This could turn out to be a cylon trick (cloning? Holography?), or perhaps a kind of psych experiment or (more probably) an interrogation technique.

It would be an interesting spin on the concept, one that I would find acceptable. The whole point, of course, would be that the human character would deny the 'evidence', while privately struggling with the possibility that he/she is in fact a machine. Again, if the character IS human, then the story is relevant. But if the character is a cylon, then the conflict falls like a house of cards.

Personally, I'm betting that such a scenario could happen to Adama. He was set up by Leoben Conoy in 'Flesh and Bone' (he told Roslyn that Adama was a cylon). Are the cylons planning to stage some kind of ploy/deception later on?

We'll have to see, I guess...

123home123

[117]Jan 5, 2006
    Boxey has been written out of the show, so we'll never find out if he's a Cylon or not. I don't really miss the character.

I agree with Dubius that only new characters should be Cylons, not any of the main stars. It would be too gimmicky.

123home123

[118]Jan 6, 2006
    Many questions about the Cylons and their "society" will be answered in a future episode. It looks like the Cylon-focused episode hasn't been canceled after all.

Peter_vonFrosta

[119]Jan 7, 2006
    briantw wrote:
    Do we have any actual evidence that the Cylons don't grow?
    Now we do, the resurrection ship produces full grown cylons

BattlestarQ wrote:
    And lets recall the 'sex' Scenes we saw of Six, and Caprica Boomer. Their Back's Glowed Red During sex. That should Show on a Med Scan.
    Actually, Ron Moore just put that in because he thought it would look cool. It doesn't really have a backstory.

Dubius_Status wrote:
    I think the writers may spring a different kind of trap on us: one of the characters could get captured (this works best as a cliffhanger in the last episode of the season) and confronted by a double -- setting up the shocking 'oh-my-God-I'm-a-cylon' revelation. This could turn out to be a cylon trick (cloning? Holography?), or perhaps a kind of psych experiment or (more probably) an interrogation technique.
    Of course it will happen. Don't you remember, in one of the Caprica episodes, Simon did an operation on Starbuck which looked like he took some of her eggs, suggesting by the position of the stitches.

briantw

[120]Jan 7, 2006
    Peter_vonFrosta wrote:
    briantw wrote:
    Do we have any actual evidence that the Cylons don't grow?
    Now we do, the resurrection ship produces full grown cylons

Well, another way to look at it would be to assume that the clones on the Resurrection ship grew up alongside their counterparts and are waiting their turn to assume the role of their fallen brethren.

Evidence for this could be in the episode where Boomer finds half a dozen clones of herself on the Cylon Basestar. They were all alive and conscious, but that doesn't mean that they were just spawned at that age.