Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

The End ...

inad1212

[1]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 8

I found my self thinking, after watching the great episode The Oath, that this show this wonderful show is ending. It is so sad to think that such a masterpiece is coming to an end. And than my mind unfortunately went on to think about another beloved show that is dated to end. 2010 marks the end of Lost which is part of the two top shows I love. The other of course being Battlestar Galactica. But with the saddness from the end comes joy. The joy that at the end of Battlestar and Lost I will have answers. I will have closure. If it be watching Adama beat the Bull S**t out of Gaeta or Jack getting back on the island. I write this little topic in hopes that there are other people who see that this sadness will be trumped by the joy of learning the Truth. Long live the great shows of our time. And know this even though Battlestar finishes I will be watching for years to come. I will not be alone in Battlestar Galactica marathons that go on for days. Yes I have gone on a little rant. But who would not want to talk about BSG for hours on end.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mialza

[2]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 14
    I wont lie, I hate Lost, but closure is what I really want for BSG, just like Lost fans. I could stick around for a few more seasons of BSG, but it wouldn't be the same. At least this show has responsible people in charge who know when to end it. I like the idea of knowing all the answers with the show going on so well that there is the the possibility that the show could go on, against the thought of the show going on two years past its prime and feeling dissatisfied afterwards. To say that I'm eagerly awaiting for the rest of this season would be an understatement.

scififan12921

[3]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 6

I agree, it's better to wrap the show and let it go out without fans sitting around saying "what did they do to my show????" At least when I miss it I can go to my dvds to get a fix.

Jeric-Ho

[4]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 34
    I too am sad that it is ending soon, but i am happy that it will get ending and we will have closure, as i would be seriously annoyed if it got cancelled and we never knew the answers. BSG and Lost being my 2 top shows at the moment aswell, so i m wondering what are we going to have left to watch when they both end, and with Lost being such a pioneering show and along with with BSG they have set the bar for great quality tv, i just hope we have some new good shows like thisto look forward to that will last longer than a season before being cancelled, as a good long running show is hard to come by these days! I just hope Fringe will be returning for a 2nd outing, as i like the show, and i hope this Dollhouse lives upto the expectations that everyone hopes.

psychickiller

[5]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    All good things must end. Otherwise they suck.

semjonov

[6]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 2
    Well, at least those series will have a decent end. I really cry when I think about what they did to Jericho, but at least it kind of got a sucky ass end thing.

Kondix

[7]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 11
    Well... it is sad... of course... but I like to judge movies by their ending, by my feeling I have after having seen the whole thing! So I am really anxious to expierience that with BSG... I really do want to see the ultimate ending... an ending equal in quality and closure to the happy end of Return of the Jedi (that does not mean I need a happy ending on this one)...

inad1212

[8]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 8

semjonov wrote:
    Well, at least those series will have a decent end. I really cry when I think about what they did to Jericho, but at least it kind of got a sucky ass end thing.

Or what those Bastards at FOX did to Firefly. Still upset.

tripping82

[9]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 14
    inad1212 wrote:

semjonov wrote:

Or what those Bastards at FOX did to Firefly. Still upset.

Isn't Jerico getting a movie made now? I remember hearing something about it somewhere.

AegisAtreyu

[10]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 17
    I'm glad 2 of the greatest shows on at the moment (BSG and Lost) have end dates, it seems to ensure quality and tightens things up. Both will be sorely missed. I hope other shows in the future take a leaf out of BSG's intelligence, and willingness to tackle nowadays world events through plots in their show. As for new or currently running shows I to, like Jeric-Ho, am looking forward to Fringe picking up speed and am curious about Dollhouse. Other shows that are piquing my interest at the moment are Being Human (just started on BBC3) and I'm really enjoying the Terminator TV series which at the moment, although taking it's time over things, is very character driven and more intelligent than you might think.

AndreasOS

[11]Feb 5, 2009
    A Masterpiece is only a Masterpiece because it has been finished... If it is never completed, it can never be more than a Work In Progress

scififan12921

[12]Feb 6, 2009
    AndreasOS wrote:
    A Masterpiece is only a Masterpiece because it has been finished... If it is never completed, it can never be more than a Work In Progress

perfectly stated

Jeric-Ho

[13]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 34
    AegisAtreyu wrote:
    Other shows that are piquing my interest at the moment are Being Human (just started on BBC3)

Being Human is a great show, i advise everyone to watch it as soon as they can! it is a perfect mixture of drama, sci-fi, comedy and is also very dark at times! for all of those to be roled into one show and make it work is a great feat!

dragon755

[14]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 7

psychickiller wrote:
    All good things must end. Otherwise they suck.

''What has once happened, will happen again'' i think that the writers of BSG weren't just saying that for the story. TOS, RDM, then who knows? we may have a new version in another 30 years.

Daxx00004

[15]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 9
    I agree about wanting closure. I really have been looking for closure on Battlestar Galactica for many, many years. Back in 1978 there was another series of this name. As a teenager I watched it avidly. It was my very favorite show. I had posters on the wall. Still have the original trading cards. Then it was cancelled. I have for years been saddened by the thought that I would never join them on the voyage to Earth. I was thrilled when Ron Moore took on the show. I knew him from DS9 and knew he was a great sci fi writer. I warily accepted the changes he made, the most egregious being a female Starbuck but he made it work. I always thought that a great concept had gone to waste just because ABC wanted to move Mork and Mindy to Sunday nights. I am very happy to see the ragtag fleet end the run from the cylons. To find whatever ending they find.

scififan12921

[16]Feb 15, 2009
    I'm still sad it's ending, still glad we'll have closure but I'm thrilled with the quality of the episodes they have put together so far. We are getting great stories, action and answers to the questions that have been out there since the mini-series. It's a strange sensation: wanting to see what little bit is left so badly but not wanting it to end either. I'm just glad the stories are still in the style that has brought this show it's fans-gritty and realistic, no nice, neat and tidy endings. They get through one crisis like the mutiny and the next is there waiting-the structural damage to Galactica and the return of Ellen.

ebony_kunoichi

[17]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    I am so very sad it's ending and I rarely feel that way for any show at all. I feel as if the BSG characters are familiar, almost like an old shoe or blanket. I love Lost, but I dont have that same feeling. BSG is my favorite show of all time and good TV is so so very hard to find these days with all the stupid reality shows and teen based drama crap.I look forward to Caprica for my BSG fix, but it still won't be the same. I was hooked instantly with the TV movie. At least it will have a good ending unlike some other shows. Yes Quantum Leap, I'm talking about you!!! I'm STILL bitter about that ending!!!

Husk3r

[18]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 1
    BSG is my all time 2nd favourite show next to Firefly but I can't help but be disappointed with this second half of season 4... I dont like where its going at all!

Hungry_Homer111

[19]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 26
    I love both shows. I am going to really miss them when they are done. At least with Lost, I'll be able to go back to the beginning again with all the knowledge that we've gained about their situation, and with BSG, I didn't really get into it that much until somewhere in the second season, mainly because I didn't get into most of the characters until then, and now I can go back and watch it knowing those characters and get a better appreciation for the earier episodes.

I agree with most of the people on here that are saying that it's better to end now, when the writers feel like ending it, so that they can give it a satisfying ending, and hopefully answer all the remaining questions. If they kept on going there are two possible outcomes that I wouldn't really like to see happen. The first one is that it could become too drawn out. We've gone through 3 and a half seasons (or 3 and 3/4?) so far, where the characters and twists have driven the show. But how long can they search for a new home? How long would it be before the characters would get old? How long could they continue to come up with new big twists which change the nature of the show while not having it become too convoluted and too drawn out? I have a lot of faith in the writers, but even the best writers in could be affected by writing the same series for too long. Another possibility is that it could just have a cliffhanger ending. Another one of my favorite shows that I've recently started watching is the show Carnivale. For me, this has the possibility of being right up there with Lost and Carnivale. There's just one problem. While I don't know how it ends, I know that HBO ended it before the writers wanted it to end. It was supposed to be a 6 year story, which was planned out from the start, but it was canceled after 2 years. This really makes me sad because it really is an amazing series and should have its vision be completely told, and because it wasn't, it probably won't be quite as high on my list as BSG and Lost. So I'm really glad that both these shows have the chance to go out on the writers' terms, and have their stories to be told completely.

haldrey

[20]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 22
    Like Sinatra said the end is near and I hate it. Good for closure but I prefer another season. we are almost out of good Sci-Fi shows, the bag is empty.