Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

The Graphics

TheNorm

[1]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 4

I'm curious how easy it is for the crew to create the graphics and set designs used on BSG. I know most is of set is green sheeted and computer generated imagery is produced, but does anyone have any more information about it? How easy it can be made? How long it takes? How much money? With what program?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[2]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 20
    It takes a long time, and cost a lot of money. That's about as much as I know I guess if you want a little insight into the SFX world, you could check out this blog post by Stargate's Visual Effects superviser on Joseph Mallozzi's blog (Executive Producer of Stargate Atlantis) Sure it's all about Stargate but your questions do get answered more or less.

Click Here To Read

Edited on 08/03/2008 10:39am

lisagraham

[3]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 30
    TheNorm wrote:

I'm curious how easy it is for the crew to create the graphics and set designs used on BSG. I know most is of set is green sheeted and computer generated imagery is produced, but does anyone have any more information about it? How easy it can be made? How long it takes? How much money? With what program?

When I was majoring in Web Authoring I had to take some 3-D classes... SO here's what little I know about Movie 3-D effects...

It is NOT easy... creating one 3-D object, rendering texture/color and adding motion can take days... A full battle scene can take months... many months...

LightWave 3D is the big software for movies (They used it on Titanic for example), creates the insides of the space ships for example... plus a bunch of after effect software to add in Flames and explosions, computer screen imagery, weapons fire...

Each piece of software could run you around $1,000... plus a computer with massive amounts of memory and HD space

If you are trying to get started in this field I would recommend checking out your local jr. college/college for classes... most Universities have classes you can take that do not require full enrollement...

Or go to NewTek's web forums and aks some questions from people that use it already... http://www.newtek.com/forums/

Hope this helps!

123home123

[4]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 55
    Here's a blog from one of the CGI technicians who has worked on BSG. Though he doesn't always discuss technical matters, you might find it interesting anyway.

Darth Mojo at Wordpress.com

You can also check out the website of Cinema Pacific Productions, Gary Hutzel's visual effects company. Gary Hutzel is the Visual Effects Supervisor for Battlestar Galactica.
    Edited on 08/03/2008 9:55pm