Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

The reduced/infrequent appearance of certain cylons?

ShotgunBlade

[1]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    Some of the cylons (i.e. Sharon, Six, to an extent, Cavil) appeared pretty regularly on the show once all the cylons were introduced. Others however (in particular Simon and the media guy), we almost saw none of during the show save for a select few episodes, and some we only saw for specific arcs and then seemed to disappear entirely (Leoben, D'Anna). In fact it was rare to see (I'm not sure if we ever did) Numbers 1-8 in the same room at any one time. Why was this? Did they not have all the cylon actors/actresses signed to a contract? It was a little jarring to see some of the cylon models pop up from time to time only to disappear for long periods, sometimes seasons. Were they trying to write them out of the show or was their disagreement over wages or something?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zukiki

[2]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 10

My impression was that in certain cases it was a matter of schedule conflicts/not knowing what to do with the characters. For instance, when it came ot Simon and Doral RDM basically stated that after thier initial introduction, he never really knew what to do with them. And to me, it always bugged me more when one of the cylons would show up for an episode, say one or two meaningless lines and be done for the day. I'd rather they not be used at all, as opposed to being wasted, but I like that they weren't completly forgotten all the time at least. As for D'anna. I'm sure there must be a story behind her leaving. They wouldn't have written her out so definiteively if Lucy Lawless herself didn't want off this merry-go-round for whatever reason, but I doubt there was any bad blood between them. Then there's Leoben. I know Callum Keith Rennie was shooting Californication durring a lot of the filming of the last half of this season, which could explain why he wasn't in the last 10 eps much. But that kind of bothered me, since all the Two/Six/Eight Models were roaming Galactica for those episodes. Then he gets one scene in the Finale and it's a throw away line, instead of giving his character some kind of closure with Kara...but that's how it goes I guess, so what can ya do. Maybe The Plan will give some of the fogotten Cylons a chance in the spotlight.

Edited on 03/23/2009 8:17am

guyroy1971

[3]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 12

Finally a non argumentative thread. lol I always assumed it had to do with actors schedules, and a mixture of what the writers "had" in terms of story arcs for the characters and frankly how impressed they are with particular actors over others. In ensable shows, certain characters grow and shine, while others barely get any screentime. There are only so many minutes in each show, and I remarked before that I was kinda surprised they kept Doral and Simon around, and they would want to stay around, given they had little to do. In episodic television, the actors are divided by union rules into groups. Those not considered "series regulars" are not paid a salary, but are paid for appearing in individual episodes. (I do not know that as fact, but heard it as I am not in the biz..lol) In an interview Candyse McClure (dualla) gave, she referenced she new her character was a goner because they only wanted to pay her for thirteen episodes last season, not all 23, so she knew she was done after episode thirteen. It was actually a treat that some of the minor characters agreed to appear, and the show agreed to pay them for appearing, as it kept up continuality on the show. Maybe they stayed for the paycheck or the show was so well reviewed it looked good on their resume, or whatever. I am happy they did so.

In david Eick's vidoe blogs, they actually did a funny bit about Lucy Lawless, where Eick wanted to put to rest they wrote her off because she was a "problem on the set" and she is in the background fishing through a dumpster and eats a sandwich she finds in it. It was very funny!

ebony_kunoichi

[4]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 13
    I understand money and schedule conflicts, but I think its a complete cop out and not even mention some of the Dorals or Simons in the telling of the story. Its as if they didnt even exist. Then to throw then in at the end was worthless completely.

guyroy1971

[5]Mar 23, 2009

ebony_kunoichi wrote:
    I understand money and schedule conflicts, but I think its a complete cop out and not even mention some of the Dorals or Simons in the telling of the story. Its as if they didnt even exist. Then to throw then in at the end was worthless completely.

Respectfully, your wrong, Cavil mentioned them all the time. When the cylon civil war started he always referenced them in the votes. Also, respectfully, you don't understand the money and scheduling, its the reason, its not a cop out. It happens to all shows all the time. The fact that they stuck around a show on the sci-fi channel at all is actually rather amazing. I can almost gurantee the reasons were entirely "real world" reasons they were not on more, but we will probably never know that for sure because actors, writers, etc..never air there dirty laundry to the public. (except Grey's Anatomy and look where that got them) A "really real world" explanation might be Moore and Eick didn't like them for some reason, but never fired them because it would affect the continuality of the show if they disappeared but did not want to use them for anything else. My disclaimer is I have no idea if that is the case, I'm just using it as an extreme example.

martymcflyjb

[6]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 10

ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Why do you have to be so cynical and negative about everything, Ebony? BSG had an ENORMOUS ensemble and it would be impossible to keep every recurring character in there consistently. This show was in a unique position in that with the cylon models, you HAVE to keep the actor around over the course of the show in some fashion. A lot of characters that were in the background grew to be pretty major recurring characters (Dee, Tori, Gaeta, Anders), while others were killed off or faded away (Billy, Kat, Jammer). This is sometimes a matter of availability/desire of the actor to be there, and sometimes it's the writers deciding the character is played out or no longer needed. With the Cylon models, they had to work around all these issues while maintaining the idea that there are hundreds of models of that same cylon, even if we don't see them for a while. The writers chose not to develop Doral and Simon on the level they did Sharon, Six, and Cavill. Do you think there was time for that? I don't. And since those 2 models didn't interact with the humans as much, it makes sense.

In the case of Cavill and D'Anna, they had to work with name actors that had somewhat busy schedules and also cost much more than whoever played Simon and Doral.

Edited on 03/26/2009 7:51pm

MajLorne

[7]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 21
    Also, not sure who's idea it was, but the D'anna character was given a 'closure' as the character didn't want to die in the fighting anymore and chose to live alone on Earth.
    I think it was in part due to the writers strike and fears that they wouldn't be able to continue the show anymore.
    Personally, I think a better way for D'anna to go would've been to strangle Cavil to death or shooting him in the finale and then either she gets killed in the crossfire or gets to see 'Earth 2'.

ShotgunBlade

[8]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 7
    I'm of the opinion there was plenty of time to develop those characters, rather than some of the filler episodes we got (i.e. The Woman King). Something more in depth from the cylon perspective from time to time, similar to what they're doing for the upcoming "The Plan".

guyroy1971

[9]Apr 16, 2009

ally

ShotgunBlade wrote:
    I'm of the opinion there was plenty of time to develop those characters, rather than some of the filler episodes we got (i.e. The Woman King). Something more in depth from the cylon perspective from time to time, similar to what they're doing for the upcoming "The Plan".

I agree, they certainly could have chosed to develope them more, but they chose not to for whatever reason.

Bionetic

[10]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 8
    Some suggest that they couldn't fit them in. To me, I got the impression it was more like the writers simply didn't want to weave them into the story. Simon and Doral are perfect examples of this. Certain Cylon's get multiple roles as a variety of differant characters while other Cylon's barely have one defining character. There was plenty of time to write them in, apparantly, they simply didn't have any intention of doing so. I wonder why?