Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Waddaya hear?

MrBovineOrdure

[1]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 6

Adama: Waddaya hear Starbuck?

Starbuck: Nothing but the rain sir!

Adama: Well grab your gun and bring in the cat!

An interesting exchange between these two. It was in the miniseries and several of the shows. I don't think it was repeated more than once in any of the seasons but it does seem to work it's way into the dialogue about once per season.

What does it mean? I assume it's a personal phrase between friends. Adama knew Starbuck at least since the death of Zack. How did they get to know each other so well to have such a phrase between them? Where did the phrase come from? A military saying? A shared personal favorite of their own version of a Clint Eastwood or John Wayne movie?

Theories and hard facts welcome!

Mr BO

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Idbeolderifiwas

[2]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 20
    I think it's a little military saying they have. It was said to Young Adama in the Razor Webisodes by his love interest (I forget her name) So it could be something said to colleagues in the Colonial Fleet.

123home123

[3]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 55
    It's called a jodie. I added explanatory notes in the guides for the Miniseries, the Razor flashbacks and the recent Season 4 episode.

Ronald Moore came up with it. He purposely left the history of the jodie ambiguous. This allows viewers to fill in the gaps and create various stories and explanations. So there's no official "facts" behind it. Thus many theories could fit and none of them could be proven to be false (unless the theory doesn't mesh with the characters or the series mythology).

Maybe some legendary drill instructor at the Colonial service academy used this jodie and taught it to his recruits.

MichaudMR

[4]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 17

This may be more appropriate to the Question about military terminology thread but here goes:

The term "Jodie" used in reference to a marching cadence comes from a fictional person who remained a civilian in the U.S. during WWII. Thus having access to the wives and sweethearts of the soldiers who went overseas to serve. The cadences spoke (sang) about him "living it up" on the home front and helped to encourage the soldiers to "get the job done" so they too could come home and live the good life.

The general mood of the culture at the time was an expectation that every able bodied person (typically male) should induct into the service. Anyone who remained on the home front for whatever reason was thought to be a less than worthy individual taking advantage of the suffering of those in the military.

Of particular note was the plight of the men in the Merchant Marine who served on the Liberty Ships and other vessels. They were civilians who crewed the huge cargo fleet that kept the supply lines open at an atrocious cost in human life. At the time these courageous men were treated like unworthy trash because they didn't wear a military uniform. It wasn't until many decades later that their contribution was recognized.

123home123

[5]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 55
    Feel free to add the background on jodies to the military terminology thread too. I think it'll be useful to add all the background stories to that thread for easy reference.
    Edited on 07/17/2008 12:11pm

galactica-gal17

[6]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 2

This is not a theory about the origin of the phrase, but is rather in praise of the phrase. One of the things i loved about the mini serise was the use of these lines to introduce Starbuck and her relationship with Adama. I remember Adama walking along a corridoor and being greeted by various people in a way that defined thier relationships and how much they admired and respected him. It is done in such a succinct way, not a single word is wasted, and each line speaks a volume. Really great writing from the very first scene! And Adama later uses the line to bring Starbuck back to reality and bring Lee back to Galactica after Lee is nearly lost in getting the fleet out of the *dusty space cloud* (what was that?) and past the Cylons waiting outside. Inspired!