Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

When exactly did the writers..

HeHateMe5

[1]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 3

decide to go from the 12 modeled cylons and adopt the 7 modeled cylons and the final five?

I found it interesting becuase I remember looking forward to watching the show early on as they slowy revealed each model.

In the mini series, Baltar asks Six how many cylons are there? She says 12 and that she is number six which indicates that she is aware of 12 modeled cylons. Also, later on down the series the big stink of "we don't speak of the five b.s." came into play. So when did the writers go from the above mentioned questions?

Me thinks production money was the key in this change during the series. It would be hard to have 12 recurring cast members coming back all the time so the idea was to lock it in at 7 and creat a new story arc with the five since they do not have mopdel numbers.

Edited on 07/19/2008 10:32am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 55
    I'm not so sure it has to do with the production costs. Aaron Doral, Simon, Cavil, Leoben Conoy and D'Anna don't appear that frequently except in specific groups of episodes. Simon has only appeared in a few episodes altogether and Doral was largely absent this season except for a fleeting glimpse on the Cylon base ship,
    ***SPOILER***
    As for the change from 12 "regular" humanoid Cylons to the division of 7 and 5, that's a good question. I'll have to go back to some of those earlier episodes or read up about the Cylons to see if this was a wholesale change or if the nature of all 12 Cylons was always unclear.

HeHateMe5

[3]Jul 19, 2008
    Maybe RDM mightve wanted it to be unclear so he could've used that to his advantage when he needed to make minor changes. Much like the last cylon scenario. As for the production costs, you might be right. Maybe it was a matter of bringing in too many cast members, would've muddle down the story.

weirdaaron

[4]Jul 19, 2008
    It can't be costs, because they could still just make the already current actors cylons, like they did with Athena and the final four. I am pretty certian the writers didn't know anything about the final five when they first started writing. Like most shows, they may know how it will end but develop story arc's as they go.
    Edited on 07/19/2008 10:02pm

HeHateMe5

[5]Jul 24, 2008
    Good point, probably explains why it's so darn difficult to even figure who is the final cylon with the current cast.

If hundreds of people can't figure it out after intense research than you have to hand to RDM, he's got everyone stumped.

trip31

[6]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    It's hard to say when they made the idea up, remember the seventh model (Cavill) didn't even come in until the end of season 2. It seems unlikely it was an original plan since Sharon is identified as model 8 of 7 models that hang out together ?

weirdaaron

[7]Aug 7, 2008
    Thats right. They didn't introduce simon or cavil until season 2, so I imagine they came up with the final five senario after that. I'm guess it was between season 2-3.