Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

who didnt know? (spoilers)

stgA

[1]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 3
    who didnt realise straight from the get-go of the latest episode that the guy on the piano was kara's dad. It was very obvious, though it was still done very well, i guess when you come this close to the end of a series that has alot of questions needing answered then the viewers are more aware that each episode shold be revealing something new.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

silvermoon88

[2]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    it didn't really reveal anything though. Just that whatever makes her special she gets from her dad. If they make her a cylon it will suck and ruin the whole show. Until i get some answers I'm going to assume that her dad is one of the light people from the original series and that she's a hybrid (half light person and half human). Also the six controlling baltar is also a light person. They are controlling people to get the result that they think should happen/ to get them through the situtation the human race is in.

ChoixAkion

[3]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 2

How would that suck silvermoon88? It's pretty obvious she is half Cylon half Human by now isn't it? Her farther is Daniel (#7), you only need to hear what Ellen said about him to figure that out. The only thing left is to explain how the hell she downloaded.

I am also curious about Baltar since he obviously has a link to the Cylons, but I would be very surprised if he turned out to be the Child of a cylon too. Would be pretty messed up if he and Kara turned out to be brother and sister wouldn't it?

Edited on 02/28/2009 1:04pm

Daxx00004

[4]Mar 1, 2009
    ChoixAkion wrote:

How would that suck silvermoon88? It's pretty obvious she is half Cylon half Human by now isn't it? Her farther is Daniel (#7), you only need to hear what Ellen said about him to figure that out. The only thing left is to explain how the hell she downloaded.

I am also curious about Baltar since he obviously has a link to the Cylons, but I would be very surprised if he turned out to be the Child of a cylon too. Would be pretty messed up if he and Kara turned out to be brother and sister wouldn't it?

Considering their sordid history it would be...strange to say the least.

aidorrocks

[5]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 10
    silvermoon88 wrote:
    it didn't really reveal anything though. Just that whatever makes her special she gets from her dad. If they make her a cylon it will suck and ruin the whole show. Until i get some answers I'm going to assume that her dad is one of the light people from the original series and that she's a hybrid (half light person and half human). Also the six controlling baltar is also a light person. They are controlling people to get the result that they think should happen/ to get them through the situtation the human race is in.

excellent, someone who has the same theory as me! whether it'll be explained as obviously as that or not, i'm sure. i've got baltar's speech at the funeral in my head.

MetaLuna

[6]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 5

K, for those of us who couldn't suffer through any of the original Battlestar Galactica episodes, what the hell are "light people"?

I tried to watch them, by the way, and got through like 3 of them before giving up. It was just. that. bad. How many times were the "lone survivors" of the human race going to come across perfectly healthy human civilizations and yet keep looking???? And I read some bits and pieces and Battlestar 1980 and it sounded like someone just couldn't let go of the original series and was determined to make it twice as campy and ridiculous.

So anyway, what are light people?

MrBovineOrdure

[7]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 6

You're talking about "the ship of light"? They were the embodiment of "Deus ex machina". Beings so far advanced as to appear as gods. They brought back Starbuckj or Apollo (I forgot which) to life and did several favors to the fleet.

Mr BO

my1sunshine

[8]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 12
    MetaLuna wrote:

K, for those of us who couldn't suffer through any of the original Battlestar Galactica episodes, what the hell are "light people"?

A race of beings who came in a ship of light. They were the polar opposite of the being called "Count Iblis", who was essentially Satan. So it was a good and evil thing.

They are also known among fans as "sephias" or "angels".

Except for ressurecting Apollo , they could not interfere, only advise and manipulate.

Angels who manipulate.Who have the ability to ressurect someone from the dead.

Hmmm.

I think Moore did SOMETHING with this original concept. He has always taken story elements from the original for episodes of this series.. he just alters them to fit this show. I think it will have something to do with the head people.

Lessee..

Baltar has Six.

Six has Baltar.

Baltar has Baltar.

Kara had Leoben and Slick.

Roslin had Elosha.

And I think Sam mentioned speaking to someone in his head, we just didn't see it right.. or am I crazy?

I think that's it, right?

Anyway, I think we'll see something akin to the sephias in the head people resolution.

Ron's just gonna do it cooler.

Edited on 03/13/2009 3:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dragon755

[9]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 7
    my1sunshine wrote:
    MetaLuna wrote:

A race of beings who came in a ship of light. They were the polar opposite of the being called "Count Iblis", who was essentially Satan. So it was a good and evil thing.

Except for ressurecting Apollo , they could not interfere, only advise and manipulate.

Hmmm.

I think Moore did SOMETHING with this original concept. He has always taken story elements from the original for episodes of this series.. he just alters them to fit this show. I think it will have something to do with the head people.

Lessee..

Baltar has Six.

Six has Baltar.

Baltar has Baltar.

Roslin had Elosha.

And I think Sam mentioned speaking to someone in his head, we just didn't see it right.. or am I crazy?

Anyway, I think we'll see something akin to the sephias in the head people resolution.

Anders stated that a few of the final five had seen the 'angels' that other people couldnt see before they left earth 2000 years ago

zerbleflip

[10]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 8
    ChoixAkion wrote:

How would that suck silvermoon88? It's pretty obvious she is half Cylon half Human by now isn't it? Her farther is Daniel (#7)

WRONG!!!!

zerbleflip

[11]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 8
    my1sunshine wrote:
    MetaLuna wrote:

Hmmm.

Lessee..

Baltar has Six.

Six has Baltar.

Baltar has Baltar.

Roslin had Elosha.

I have to admit, I gave up on Larson's original. No offence, but I personally found it far too cheesy and felt as if it had been written for a young adolescent audience (I was in my 20's when it furst came out). Thus I had no idea of the "beings of light" aspect from the original. Reading it as you've presented it here would suggest an update of the idea could very much have merit.

my1sunshine

[12]Mar 14, 2009

[/QUOTE] I have to admit, I gave up on Larson's original. No offence, but I personally found it far too cheesy and felt as if it had been written for a young adolescent audience (I was in my 20's when it furst came out). Thus I had no idea of the "beings of light" aspect from the original. Reading it as you've presented it here would suggest an update of the idea could very much have merit.[/QUOTE]

No offence taken. Only time I have a problem with negative opinions against the original is when there in the form of blatent disrespect toward the original or Larson. People don't realize that most of the basic concepts here, even in this show (which yes, does kick the original's ass) are supplied directly from Larson's talent, regardless of people's opinions of the execution of those concepts (for which the blame lies more with the studio and the network hands then Larson, I would think). Television was much younger and much less bolder then. We live in a different world now, and expect, and need, a lot more now from our television writing now.

So I just think a little more respect from fans are due for the creator of the concept than I'm seeing lately from most on this board. Otherwise... everybody's entitled.

But yeah, the only major difference in the ressurection angle would be.. in the 1978 series the Sephias ressurected Apollo's dead body quite litterally, and in this version.. continuing the theory, Kara's body was destroyed, and it's like she was given a new, identical vessle for her consiousness, which sounds a lot more like Cylon ressurection technologiy then the Sephia's.. but really that's semantics.

Raven-22

[13]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 2

I tried to watch them, by the way, and got through like 3 of them before giving up. It was just. that. bad. How many times were the "lone survivors" of the human race going to come across perfectly healthy human civilizations and yet keep looking???? And I read some bits and pieces and Battlestar 1980 and it sounded like someone just couldn't let go of the original series and was determined to make it twice as campy and ridiculous.

So anyway, what are light people?

[/QUOTE]

http://www.firsttvdrama.com/show1/largcast/wargods2.php3

The link above will take you to a web site that will give you a summary of "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: "War of the Gods Pt. 2" which is the episodes that has the ship of lights in it.

Edited on 03/15/2009 2:48pm

MetaLuna

[14]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    my1sunshine wrote:
    Only time I have a problem with negative opinions against the original is when there in the form of blatent disrespect toward the original or Larson. People don't realize that most of the basic concepts here, even in this show (which yes, does kick the original's ass) are supplied directly from Larson's talent, regardless of people's opinions of the execution of those concepts (for which the blame lies more with the studio and the network hands then Larson, I would think). Television was much younger and much less bolder then. We live in a different world now, and expect, and need, a lot more now from our television writing now.

Do you think it was the studio's idea, then, to place perfectly healthy human civilizations across the galaxy for the Galactica to "accidentally" come across while fleeing the Cylons? I wonder how that conversation went. "They're the only survivors of an attack on the human race by robot aliens! The show is about them trying to find a new home away from the Cylons! 'Cause they're the only humans left!" "Sounds good... but we're going to need them to come across MORE human survivors with quirky problems to keep the show interesting. Indefinitely."

my1sunshine

[15]Mar 16, 2009

MetaLuna wrote:
    my1sunshine wrote:
    Only time I have a problem with negative opinions against the original is when there in the form of blatent disrespect toward the original or Larson. People don't realize that most of the basic concepts here, even in this show (which yes, does kick the original's ass) are supplied directly from Larson's talent, regardless of people's opinions of the execution of those concepts (for which the blame lies more with the studio and the network hands then Larson, I would think). Television was much younger and much less bolder then. We live in a different world now, and expect, and need, a lot more now from our television writing now.
    Do you think it was the studio's idea, then, to place perfectly healthy human civilizations across the galaxy for the Galactica to "accidentally" come across while fleeing the Cylons? I wonder how that conversation went. "They're the only survivors of an attack on the human race by robot aliens! The show is about them trying to find a new home away from the Cylons! 'Cause they're the only humans left!" "Sounds good... but we're going to need them to come across MORE human survivors with quirky problems to keep the show interesting. Indefinitely."

Lol. Yeah, it would be an interesting conversation. But no, that was just the shortsightedness of the writers, underestimating our intelligence. SOP in those days.

Actually, there was a line in one of the later episodes.. that they were looking for a "technologically advanced" civilization and to quote...

".. That's why we've risked our lives staying on this tin can, when we could have stopped at one of the planets we past that could have supported life."

Well, nice try, but that doesn't exactly hold water either. It might have been nice to pick those humans up because.. well.. they're gonna be exterminated when the Cylons find em there!

What I think was a bigger laugh were the Cylons. These guys could barely walk, and they've been fighting THOSE for 1000 years? Yeah, right.

No.. it was the writers.. and I said that in my last line that you quoted. I get what you're saying.. but you're tlking about the 70's. Writing for most shows, with obvious , but few exceptions, was kind of insulting to the viewers intelligece.

My point about the "execution" of Larson's ideas was more about how it was standard practice to formulize everything. "Let's do a western with this one. A disaster movie, a murder mystery, etc". THAT was primarily the studios idea.

But at least Ron realized the quality behind the IDEAS, which is why so many story elements from the original find there way here. Ron just doesn't insult our intelligence about it, and makes it a lot more realistic.

That being said, I still love the old show. If you're gonna watch it at all, you gotta turn some of your mind off, and take it for what it was... a product of the seventies.

It was a strange time. probably the disco and the coke, Lol!

Edited on 03/16/2009 8:08am

Daxx00004

[16]Mar 16, 2009
    my1sunshine wrote:

MetaLuna wrote:
    my1sunshine wrote:

Lol. Yeah, it would be an interesting conversation. But no, that was just the shortsightedness of the writers, underestimating our intelligence. SOP in those days.

Actually, there was a line in one of the later episodes.. that they were looking for a "technologically advanced" civilization and to quote...

".. That's why we've risked our lives staying on this tin can, when we could have stopped at one of the planets we past that could have supported life."

Well, nice try, but that doesn't exactly hold water either. It might have been nice to pick those humans up because.. well.. they're gonna be exterminated when the Cylons find em there!

What I think was a bigger laugh were the Cylons. These guys could barely walk, and they've been fighting THOSE for 1000 years? Yeah, right.

No.. it was the writers.. and I said that in my last line that you quoted. I get what you're saying.. but you're tlking about the 70's. Writing for most shows, with obvious , but few exceptions, was kind of insulting to the viewers intelligece.

My point about the "execution" of Larson's ideas was more about how it was standard practice to formulize everything. "Let's do a western with this one. A disaster movie, a murder mystery, etc". THAT was primarily the studios idea.

But at least Ron realized the quality behind the IDEAS, which is why so many story elements from the original find there way here. Ron just doesn't insult our intelligence about it, and makes it a lot more realistic.

That being said, I still love the old show. If you're gonna watch it at all, you gotta turn some of your mind off, and take it for what it was... a product of the seventies.

It was a strange time. probably the disco and the coke, Lol!

Not to mention that the "hit" series for the network at that same time was Mork and Mindy. In fact the network moving Mork and Mindy into BSG's timeslot is what killed it. So you must understand the level of TV at the time. BSG seemed light years ahead of the rest of the crap.