Battlestar Galactica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Who else is sick of downers?

dragon755

[1]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 7

I mean people who go out of their way to put other fans AND the writers down and abuse them for an ending they did not like... Not everyone is going to be happy and despite everything i'm yet to see anyone actually put forward ideas that they have come up with that were any better. Im all for people suggesting reasons why the ending was not perfect or why they didn't like it. But don't go ahead and put other opinions down just because it is different to yours.

I for one loved the ending and have watched it time and time again. I think they did a great job, no not perfect and there are some things that don't and probably never will make sense but that has been the fun of BSG for the past 5 years. Discussing our theories of one subject or another. I'm glad we had open answers. it makes it all the more special.

Anyway point is why don't we listen to our parents in that if you have nothing nice to say about one another, don't say anything at all. But if you hate the ending, by all means say so. Just be civilised and not a bunch of homicidal robots bent and destroying the last remnants of the human race.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MetaLuna

[2]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    I was satisfied with the ending until I started hearing the pissing and moaning from friends and strangers. Couldn't believe it, really. The negative response to the finale was overwhelming. I almost feel like I'M the stupid one for actually enjoying the show.

Truthfully... I was expecting a lot less out of the finale. I sure didn't expect everything to be resolved (seeing as how The Plan is meant to tie up some loose ends), and I didn't expect some kind of grand explanation for everything else. The only thing I can admit I was disappointed about was Kara. I fully expected them to cement the idea of Daniel as her father. OH, well. That would have pissed off certain fans, too.

123home123

[3]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 55
    Unfortunately BSG has always had a very vocal minority of "watchers" who seem to think it's necessary and acceptable to attack people who actually enjoy the show, not just the series finale. As the editor and moderator of this forum for almost 3 years, I've had to deal with this first-hand. One person a couple of years ago kept on creating new accounts just so he could spam this forum with lengthy violent, anti-BSG posts. We could tell it was the same person because he kept posting the same exact "articles"/rants.

And as we saw with the recent disturbance on this forum, even some people who claim to have enjoyed previous seasons of the show still find it necessary to try to take this forum down. Some of them want to prevent anyone from discussing the show anywhere on the Internet unless they engage in shouting matches about whether they actually enjoyed the finale. I just don't get it either. We had multiple "anti-BSG" threads this past week and despite the claims of one of the detractors, yes, there were violent threats posted on some of those threads. I deleted them and/or reported them to the mods.

Some of the detractors in previous years didn't like this BSG because it wasn't family-friendly. And now some detractors are going after the show and this forum because they think it was too religious or something. I guess you just can't win sometimes.

There are plenty of shows out there that I don't like but that doesn't mean I think no one else should be allowed to talk about them in a civilized setting. I don't troll on those forums and attack all the fans for being idiotic, delusional, weak-minded, or whatever the gripe is.

Fortunately, most of the people who were less than satisfied with the finale have posted their thoughts in a civilized manner on the discussion thread. It's always interesting to see reasoned statements about why someone did or didn't like an episode. It's just the fanatical, "How DARE you like this episode?" nonsense that I could do without.

ShotgunBlade

[4]Mar 25, 2009
    123home, what "violent threats" are you referring to? You locked my "BSG Finale: Disappointing" thread even though there were no such rule violations or "violent threats" and I was following that thread pretty closely. You even deleted one of my posts and gave me a warning for "Trolling and being off topic" in MY own thread for making this post:

"I agree with a lot of the stuff you guys are adding. I think an excellent point is that people have been watching this show for so long and loving it (and naturally so, it was an awesome show) that in their minds, they don't want to accept a horrible ending...they would rather tell themselves the ending was perfect and ideal so the entire experience of the show seems perfect in their minds, rather than being honest about its evaluation."

The thread was ABOUT people's reactions to the finale and their justifications for it, and you deleted my post and locked my thread since people were having a civil discussion that wasn't pro-BSG? You sound to me like an oppressive moderator that isn't mature enough to handle the responsibility given to you since you clearly abuse your position to delete/lock things that aren't aligned with your opinion.

123home123

[5]Mar 25, 2009
    There are many comments in the main discussion thread from people who weren't pleased with the series finale. I have not edited or deleted a single one of them because those individuals respected this forum and other people posting here.

I am not going to get into the reasons for locking the other thread, again. Some of the detractors were forcing people to leave this forum because of the personal attacks and hostile comments. That is not acceptable. (Calling people "delusional" for enjoying the show IS a personal attack.) And I will say for the LAST TIME, there WERE multiple violent threats posted on the forum but I do not recall in which of the "negative" threads. (There were so many of them popping up this past weekend.) I am definitely not a liar. If you have a problem with any of this, bring it up with the staff and the moderators. They have seen the specific posts so they know exactly what I'm talking about.

Please do not get into this again. Everyone has a fair opportunity to discuss the show like civilized adults. What they are not allowed to do is insult other people because they liked the finale or the show in general. People are also not allowed to take over the forum and demand that other people justify to them why they would like the show or the finale. This is not your personal forum. It is a forum for members to discuss the show and those items that would be of specific interest to fans of the show. You may say that there is a slight bias toward fans of the show here. Well, considering that this forum is the primary place to discuss BSG on TV.com, yes, it IS intended to be a place for fans of BSG, just as the forum for American Idol is supposed to be a place for fans to discuss episodes and other elements of that show.

Trolling, by definition, includes forum posts that are not intended to generate civilized discussion and that are highly likely to lead to emotional, name-calling and personal attacks and confrontations. I don't see how advertising sites like "Why BSG sucked?" is supposed to generate civilized discussion. Or telling people that they are delusional for enjoying the finale?

Read through the discussion thread. You will see many different perspectives. And look again at your new post. You are going back to the personal insults, yet again ("You sound to me like an oppressive moderator that isn't mature enough to handle the responsibility given to you since you clearly abuse your position to delete/lock things that aren't aligned with your opinion.") This is the problem. You keep reverting to personal insults. This is your final warning (even though you have had several other warnings). Stop the nonsense now.

ShotgunBlade

[6]Mar 25, 2009
    Regardless of your justifications for your actions for what OTHERS have done, my post did not violate any rules, yet you took it upon yourself to delete it anyway. Furthermore, select members being negative does not justify the locking of a THREAD. Remove the offending posts, don't simply shut down the entire thread because one person called someone "delusional" (btw, you honestly need to develop some sense of restraint if you find use of that word to describe others warrants heavy moderation tactics). Fact: my thread had neither violent threads nor multiple instances of "trolling" or other rule violations that warranted it being locked, regardless of what was going on in other threads.

This forum is for discussing BSG, for both its accomplishments and its faults. Otherwise, it's not much of a forum, just a place to stroke one another's egos because you all have one opinion. I suggest you remember that.

ShotgunBlade

[7]Mar 25, 2009
    FYI, calling you not mature enough to handle the responsibility given to you is an evaluation of your abilities as a moderator, not a personal insult. Furthermore, I have never insulted anyone on these forums, despite your claims. Nor have I been warned "multiple times" for any such thing - I was given one warning by you for "trolling/off topic" for the above post which was both on topic AND in my own thread. Please, stop trying to cover up for the fact that you slipped up by making this about me - I haven't broken any rules.

MetaLuna

[8]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 5
    Shotgun, you're the only one I recognize who made derogatory posts. Most everyone else was sort of tossing off rants here and there, but you've been consistently angry. I'm just saying... maybe it's time to move on.

And I agree. Calling people delusional is a personal attack. Enjoying it doesn't make me delusional, though it does make me happy.

ShotgunBlade

[9]Mar 26, 2009
    I didn't call anyone delusional, or use derogatory posts. Link me to just OME. You're the one that's been angry because I said I found the use of "God" as final solution to many of the show's problems poor writing, and you clearly took offense to that due to your religion or some other factor. Again, stop trying to vilify me because I had a negative opinion of the show's ending. One benefit of a forum is that my entire posting history is available for all to see (which I invite anyone to look at), so lying about me making derogatory posts is not going to do you any good.

sourabhshetty

[10]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 10
    ShotgunBlade....derogatory posts of other people on your thread is warrant enough to lock your thread.....Even if you yourself are good enough not to post anything wrong, your thread was giving forum for the detractors to post comments that may have been improper..

ShotgunBlade

[11]Mar 26, 2009
    Then remove offending POSTS, a user breaking the rules does not warrant shutting down someone else's thread entirely. If I went into a long standing stickied discussion thread and made fun of a member does that mean the entire thread should be stopped because of it? It's poor moderating to do so.

123home123

[12]Mar 26, 2009
    Look, you are doing the same thing again on this thread. Almost half a dozen posts that don't have anything to do with the thread topic, that don't have anything to do with the show itself and that are antagonizing other users. THAT is the problem, not negative comments about the series. There are numerous critical comments on the main episode discussion thread, NONE of which have been deleted or modified by me. NOT ONE. That is because those people did not try to take over this forum or insult other users. And now you are running this thread into the ground. What does any of this have to do with the show? It's all about you. I'm locking this thread too because it is becoming another off-topic thread. Any further disruptive off-topic and trolling behavior will be reported and moderated.
    Edited on 03/26/2009 11:11pm
    Edited 2 total times.

TVcom_Moderator

[14]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 29
    ShotgunBlade wrote:
    Regardless of your justifications for your actions for what OTHERS have done, my post did not violate any rules, yet you took it upon yourself to delete it anyway.

Just to clarify:

The post was moderated by staff, not 123home123. It was moderated because it presented the derogatory opinion that people who liked the final episode were dishonest. Making derogatory blanket statements about other users is classic trolling by TV.com's definition and most other sites as well, and was moderated accordingly.

Discussing what you don't like about the show is fine. Stating derogatory opinions about other viewers is trolling, and off-topic.

This thread seems to have been created as an attack on "downers," not anything specifically about BSG. 123home123 has locked this thread, and we'll let it stand with no moderations of anyone who posted in this thread, although technically everyone was off-topic by attacking other users, rather than discussing the show.

At some point, if enough posts in a thread go off-topic or otherwise violate the TOS, it is acceptable to lock the thread.

Please keep in mind there is already a pinned thread to discuss the episode. If someone wants to post a standalone opinion of the final episode(s), that would be what reviews and blogs are for.

Private and personal conversations with an editor about moderation policy should go to PMs. The TOS applies to those as well.

Hope that clarifies everything.

The TV.Com moderators and staff