Battlestar Galactica

Guess What's Coming to Dinner?

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 16, 2008 on Syfy

• An alliance is formed between the Cylon rebels and Galactica, and as the final season rolls on, everything turns on its head.

This, the final season of Battlestar Galactica, is supposed to be the reveal of the big mystery that the Miniseries, Seasons 1-3, and Razor have all been moving towards. We've gotten a lot of hints about said mystery.

The Final Five could have come from Earth. Roslin continues to share her visions with Sharon Agathon and Caprica-Six. A vital target, the Resurrection Hub, is within reach, and by extension of that, D'anna's knowledge of the Final Five. Gaius Baltar now preaches the word of God, and there have been signs that his role in the series is deeper than we think. In fact, he is the most likely choice to be the 12th Cylon. If he's not, it would be the biggest red herring we've ever seen.

The mere thought of the Final Five coming from Earth leads me to believe a theory that I've been cycling through my head many times over. Has anyone ever stopped to consider that Earth plays a bigger picture in this than we think? The Cylons don't even know who programmed them, or why knowledge of the Five has been blocked from their heads. Also, every clue leading to Earth: Kobol, the Lion's Head beacon, and the Temple of Five, all found in that order, gets progressively older. As Galactica reached the Ionian nebula, Saul Tigh, Samuel T. Anders, Tory Foster, and Galen Tyrol realized that they were Cylons, by means of a song that just played in their heads. It's possible that everything that's going on goes way beyond the creation of the Cylons. It's something much bigger than that.

What really bugs me is that, after everything that's happened, Roslin still has a considerable amount of authority and support. She's supposed to be a public servant, the leader of a democracy, but her actions throughout the show leave much to be desired.

I can't forget how many times she's trampled others to reach her goals. She usurped Admiral Adama's authority, divided the Fleet, hid Hera from her parents and didn't trust Adama in her plan, tried to rig an election, tortured Gaius Baltar, and let's not even discuss her attempts to circumvent democracy. What really gets me is that both Lee Adama and Kara Thrace risked their asses for her when they found Kobol, and then Roslin turns around and treats them like crap. She denounced Starbuck, and when Lee becomes a Quorum member, she tries to make him look like an idiot, even though he's just trying to uphold democracy. In this episode, they both help her, but she doesn't even apologize to them. She didn't really apologize to Adama, Helo, or Athena when her deception was revealed.

After all that, why has no one even asked, "could she be the 12th Cylon?"

Speaking of which, I really hope Ron Moore and David Eick don't take the cheap way out with this one. Personally, I think it's Tom Zarek, but we'll have to wait and see.

Gaius Baltar's part in the shared vision has yet to be revealed, but apparently, he didn't experience it. Obviously he plays a part, but I'm more worried about Six's role. Caprica-Six stated a desire to protect Hera, but from what? The Final Five? Questions are piling up.

I think that the Fleet, and possibly the two Cylon factions, will find Earth, but the big question is, what state is it in?

This episode was hauntingly effective in its delivery. The tension between the Cylon rebels and Galactica, Gaeta's singing, Roslin and Baltar's arrival on the Basestar, the Centurions walking by the pilots, Natalie's speech, and for me, the biggest "WHOA!" moment came when the Hybrid jumped the Basestar.

We are on the verge of something big. I hope that the journey was worth it.