Battlestar Galactica

He That Believeth in Me

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 04, 2008 on Syfy

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Somewhere in Between.

It was a good episode -- no question about that -- but it could have definitely been better. While I was ecstatic to finally see the show back on the air, I was also a bit baffled by some of the decisions. I just wish they would have spent more time elsewhere. Starbuck is obviously not going to kill the president, nor is she the last cylon. I think that her being the last cylon would be WAY too obvious, and if she did actually kill the president... then Moore has bigger balls than I ever gave him credit for. It just took up half the episode trying to convince us of something that's never going to happen. That annoys me.

Plus, the whole Baltar/Jesus angle. That's cool and all, I always love watching that psychotic bastard, but for a premiere with so many questions looming, we spend what amounts to an entire act with him and his hoard of sluts?

The good moments were good, but they were few and far between. Time could have been MUCH better spent elsewhere.

Still a good premiere, but slightly ill-conceived and still focused on teasing people without answering questions -- after it's been gone for a year, no less.

I was, however, waiting with bated breath when Saul shot the old man. I though that surely they didn't have the cajones to do that, but, as much as I like Adama, killing him, in that way no less, would have been a helluva shocker in the premiere that would have ushered things forward. Of course... then he'd only return in a new raptor in a few weeks. ;D
  • Edge of your seat action and drama!

Fantastic Episode! This episode was so fast paced and I love how all the characters were on edge and very tense throughout the whole episode. The special effects were fantastic in the opening space battle, very chaotic and realistic. If the rest of the season can keep up with this episodes standards it will be the best season ever! There wasn't really any story development on the cylons (the 6's, boomer, D'anna Biers, Leoben, and that other guy). They did however cover a good amount of ground on the 4 of the final 5 cylons which of course is what we all were waiting for. I highly recommend this episode!
  • Uninspired writing by the show's worst writers leaves much of the plot's emotional, dramatic and political aspects unexplored to the show's usual potential. This was still far better than the vast majority of other TV shows' best episodes, though.

Yet again -- with the exception of "Maelstrom" which was quite powerful and "Downloaded" which was heavily rewritten by Ron Moore -- Weddle and Thompson prove to be the show's worst writers, especially when it comes to dialogue and drama. They're the action writers, having some knowledge of military tactics, but their scenes never have the weight, innovation and raw power of Michael Taylor, Michael Angelli, Toni Graphia, let alone the awesome Ron Moore. I thought the interest picked up significantly in the last act, but several moments felt a bit predictable (Tigh "shooting" the admiral) or not as fully explored as they would have been by other writers (Lee pondering about how grateful he and father would be if Zach had come back, even if he were a cylon; the newly revealed cylons talking about how to believe in themselves or Anders talking to Starbuck about the same issue). These weren't bad scenes, but just look at the emotional power and subtlety of episodes written by the aforementioned writers and tell me they couldn't write those moments better!

Lastly, Baltar's reactions to the cult were great and this storyline will surely yield wonderful commentary on the nature of religion -- mostly in the hands of more capable writers. It still didn't feel as interesting as it should have and Baltar's interest in the boy wasn't persuasively conveyed; it just felt sudden and unexplained. His arc has been a complicated one in the show. He really began to emerge as a hero in the first half and a bit of Season 2, even saving Laura Roslin from cancer ambitionlessly -- until her put-downs drove him over the edge and into the blind ambition of a presidential bid. The character's turns felt understandable in Season 2, but this suicidal interest in the boy somehow felt unconvincing and a bit dull.

Still, the show continues its overriding political message of demonstrating how human history is full of instances of the dehumanization and the homogenization of "the other", and I'm proud of the show reestablishing that theme with this episode. Hopefully it will help persuade viewers to not needlessly do what they will to other peoples, as America has to those in the Middle East for decades with hypocritical moral justifications. This message would be well-heeded by any nation, though.

Now, I can't wait to see other writers do that at which Weddle and Thompson failed...

7.5 out of 10
  • This story will not answer an questions. It will keep everyone asking,"what will happen next.

Starbuck is back from the dead? This is the big part of the
    story that people want anwsers to. And to keep people watching they will drag it out for a long time. Thats good
    writing. Is she a cylon? Thats what it looks like. But lets step back for a sec. The writer said, from the begining that he wanted this show to be real life like. No aliens. Well they took a really big step out of that box. The normel thing is everyone is asking questions. Baltar is the bad version of Jesus. And Six is an angel. And the four are so confussed they don't know which way to go. Anders in the one scene with the cylon shows that he is one of the four. Apollo is now on his way to being the next president. The fleet took a very bad hit. But one of the questions for gotten about is. Why did every ship in the fleet lose power in the first place? This stuff is great.
1 2 >