Battlestar Galactica

Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 06, 2009 on Syfy

• Islanded In A Stream Of Stars

Islanded in a Stream of Stars was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it was the prelude to great changes and had deep yet subtle character development along with story line progression. It was interesting to see the pieces of the bigger picture starting to come together, with Hera at the center of every thing. The future of Humans and Cylons alike are at stake and Boomer has made some questionable decisions, while Adama struggles with a difficult decision regarding the Galactica and the kidnapping of Hera. Helo tries to find a way to find his daughter only to be denied the chance which was sad. Boomer shares a secret world with Hera. There was so much going on and it was very entertaining. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Not really entertaining at all, and dragging out 3 seconds worth of storyline over 40 minutes. What has this show, once top of the art, come to?

I simply cannot grasp what the writers were possibly thinking. Maybe: "We started into the season well; so much so that the fans almost started believing that the masterful scripts of season 1 could be back towards the finale, so let's show them that we can actually top the nonsense we gave them in season 3."? Apart from failing to deliver any of what made this series great and loved, in this episode not even the craft is above doubt (not the actors' craft, the writers'). The first and obvious question: How did they not deal with Chief Tyrols involvement in the Hera abduction? There is no explanation in the last episode, there is none in this one. Is it just implicitly understood the Chief is in the brigg now? If so, how, as a viewer, can I possibly guess that?
    Anyway... that is just the tip of the iceberg. Another one? Gaius Baltar: last time round arming civilians and plotting mischiev, that plotline is nowhere to be seen now. Instead he is somehow back in a position to do cylon detection research. And the list of discontinuity and time-fillers go on.
    Altogether: If you loved the miniseries and season 1, stay away from this one. If you never understood this show and found season 3 to be mindblowingly revealing and super: Here's one you'll love.
  • Space battles have nothing to do with it.

These are tired storylines. I never watched the show for "thrill-seeking action", and just because you don't like the heavy drama (even though it's not nearly as heavy as it thinks it is) doesn't mean you're only about the action. Clearly, we've made it this far. But I feel that BSG has strayed away from what has made it so great. It builds. It surprises. It does none of that any more. It reduces its characters into these woefully boring shadows of their former selves, and by dragging out storylines to the nth degree (how long has the Starbuck mystery gone on now for??), the suspense dies. This isn't who killed Laura Palmer.

I'm sticking with it to the end as I've been one of its most loyal fans. I adore the show. But BSG tastes like a burger that has been on the grill for about two hours two long. The last three eps were overcooked. I am hoping the next couple episodes can salvage the flavor by throwing some A-1 sauce to make it somewhat digestable.
  • The yawnathon continues.

I wanted to like this episode, I really did. The last 6 or 7 have been a big disappointment, but I put that to the side, got in a positive frame of mind and watched. I wanted this to be the episode that relit my enthusiasm for the show. And what do we get?...

Boring. Absolutely boring. Once again, very little happened, and absolutely nothing exciting happened. Nothing. The Starbuck dogtag thing, yeah ok, kinda adds another mystery to the mix, but not exciting. Boring. It's been dragging on so long it's now boring. I don't care if she's dead or not. Move on, writers, move on. Give us something to WOW about. Give us adventure, battles, intrigue, exploration, SCI-FI dammit, SCI-FI!

The sooner this ailing soap opera dies and Battlestar rediscovers the root of what made it a sci-fi masterpiece, the better. With only a handful of episodes left, I'm still hopeful, but doubt whether the writers call get this show back to its former glory.
  • Please Put BSG Out Of Its Misery

Oi! With the exception of the first few episodes after (spoiler) the crew found earth, the second half of season 4 has limped along and is getting more and more absurd. We don't care about anyone, there are no stakes anymore and the mysteries remaining to be solved feel as if they've been made up as they go along anyway. These last few eps have felt like the writers padding out a tiny middle to get to - WE HOPE - a big kick ass finale. But if you're watching on DVD and getting bored, I think you could easily skip this one. The one before also had nothing happen, but at least it was stylish. Sadly this ep has one laughable, shark-jumpy moment when Adama has a "breakdown" in which he starts throwing paint all over a damaged part of the ship that's being patched - it's like a scene from a bad Lifetime movie when a victim decides to cut off all her hair, or breaks a mirror with a whiskey glass Uhg. Cliche and painful beyond believe.
  • The circle closes

"Filler" isn't a term to describe this episode. Yes, Thrace is (for the most part) still moping around wondering at just who - what - she is; Adama is still wandering around his ship giving it looks to suggest he's feeling as much constipated as concerned; we're still hovering in space waiting for the final axe to fall - but....

But...let's examine what goes on - because it is actually rather a lot. We see that the importance of Hera finally comes to the fore - and if the visions shared by Roslin and Caprica Six are anything to go by, Baltar and (a?) Six still have a major role to play where she is concerned. We find out that while Boomer has indeed (and again) acted traitorously in taking Hera to Cavil / John, her conscience has not entirely deserted her. No doubt she will play a crucial part in the coming rescue attempt.

We see the way is now clear for Galactica's end. Despite his refusal early-on in the episode, Adama will now use the ship in one final mission: the resuce of Hera. It will be a mission from which she will not return - and one wonders if he will himself. We find out that the hybrid prophecy regarding Kara Thrace - that she is the harbinger of doom - is apparently still very much relevant. More than that - it is present in Ander's subconscious mind. Could be the words he speaks are simply an echo of what she hads told him in the past, an instinctive reaction to her attempt to shoot him? Certainly he is "aware" of the adrinal reaction that causes his body to respond (listen to what he actually says as he grips her arm); could it be his subconscious repeats those words to stun her into inactivity, or did they signify something deeper.....

Coming as it does before Baltar's revelation that Thrace has transceded death, I cannot help but think that again, her role as harbinger is not to be taken literally; rather that she will be the focal point of change for both humans and Cylons as much as Hera herself. What lifts this episode above being anything near "filler" status is the writing. Watch closely, and the key players are all given an important moment, and their dialogue at these moments is powerful and poignant. Then there are the "little" moments that demonstrate just how much Cylons and humans need one another: "Gina's" selfless sacrifice to save the life of a human crew member when the hull ruptures; Adama's tacit admission to Tigh that he knows of no-one finer as an officer or a friend. Tigh's steadfast refusal to heed Ellen and go against Adama; Baltar's willingness to extend help to the Cylons aboard the Galactica as much as the humans (Caprica Six isn't the only one "visiting" his area of the ship). Other moments shine as well: Thrace's confrontation with Baltar in his quarters is a masterpiece of direction. Witness how she steps from shadow into light as she asserts she is not an angel - the change in lighting very much suggesting she is... Could the storyline have been compressed? Very probably; some of the scenes did come across as joining-the-dots when the audience can already see the picture. And this is perhaps the biggest frustration with the last half of season 4. While every episode has contained the drama we have come to expect, it cannot be denied that at times they have failed to fire properly on all cylinders. But, even with that criticism voice, I still cannot agree with views stated elsewhere that this is merely a "filler" or that "nothing happened. "Islanded" is what is required at this point: a careful setting of the stage and positioning of the pieces ready for the final climatic finale.
  • Prelude to the end

With only a handful of episodes left, and so many loose ends to resolve, time is of the essence. So it's hard not to feel like this prelude to the series finale wasn't a wasted opportunity. There were some vague hints as to the resolution of the series as a whole, but most of the time was spent on lingering character vignettes. As satisfying as they can be, and as in keeping with the style of the series it might be, it's still hard to temper the disappointment.

This episode was essentially the combination of character reactions to the Galactica situation, the abduction of Hera, and Kara's odd status quo. The net effect is a laundry list of the implications of the past few episodes and what the writers will need to tackle at the breaking of the day. As already mentioned, this almost works at cross-purposes. It's good to know that the writers have a grasp on the loose ends, but it's a also a reminder of just how much they'll need to cram into the finale.

A lot of time is spent on Adama's growing realization that saving Galactica is not a viable option, and the recent efforts have merely been delaying the inevitable. That process is painful, to say the least. For all that the Cylons have agreed to hand over military authority to Adama in exchange for a voice on the new council, it's still the loss of the most potent symbol of Human autonomy. Defense of the remnants of Humanity will now be dependent on outside cooperation, and a former enemy at that.

The previous episode tied Roslin's condition to the "health" of the Galactica, and that metaphor continues. The flashes of the Opera House, and the suggestion that Caprica Six is once again sharing those dreams and visions, point to an explanation for those elements since the first season. But the emphasis is on the notion that Roslin will probably die before the human race finds its new home (if, in fact, that prophecy still holds any meaning), and how that becomes a compelling impetus for Adama's decision to move people off Galactica.

In essence, Galactica is only good for one more mission anyway, and that's where the abduction of Hera comes into play. Hera represents the future for both the Human and Cylon people, and in that respect, she is a symbol of hope. The Cylons don't see a future without her, and The Humans don't see a future without the Cylons. Cavil is forcing a confrontation that he assumes he will win. For Adama and the Cylons, there is only one mission left: retrieve Hera by any means necessary or die trying.

Ander's situation has the potential of giving Galactica an unexpected edge. It could allow Adama to run the impending mission with a skeleton crew. It also had the benefit of reminding the audience that Kara has been termed "the harbinger of death", which I still believe is meant more in the classical sense of change. In other words, survival through mergence of the Human and Cylon people into a self-propagating population.

At least, that's how it's appeared to be shaping up; with the mystery of Kara's resurrection still on the table, it could really mean anything. The "Kara is a proto-Hera" theory is still viable, but this episode lends credence to those who see an outside agency as being the connective link between the Final Five activation, the Roslin/Caprica connection, Kara, and Hera. I'm still not particularly pleased with that notion, because it has a great deal of potential to fall into deus ex machina territory.

Some have speculated that this outside agency could be the Lords of Kobol. If the Lords of Kobol were, as speculated, the surviving Cylons of a previous cycle, it would at least fit the overall foundation for the series. Another offered possibility is the "beings of light" theory, referring to a story from the original "Battlestar Galactica". If that were true, it would be unfortunate, because while the effect has been explored in relative detail, there hasn't been much evidence of someone else beyond the Humans and Cylons lurking in the background.

Unfortunately, all of these plot and character threads, right down to Boomer's wavering faith in her actions and Baltar's little speech about Kara, could have been compressed into a lot less time. It feels like this episode was a bit too methodical for its own good. It's hard to tell, however, because it all comes down to the finale. If three hours of finale is enough to cover all the bases sufficiently, then this episode will be vindicated.
  • ''BSG is coming to an end and it's intending to go out with a bang, but it's making sure before it does, we're reminded why we love these characters, and this is the episode that showcases them in all of their glory.''

Having read most of the reviews before this, it's startling, and slightly hilarious, how viewers are treating this episode - a tour de force of some of the finest acting and storytelling to come from season four - calling it ''filler'' and boring.

Are we watching the same show?

I suppose I should break it down real quick, just so you don't have to read the rest of the review: if you only watch BSG for its space battles, well, I'm surprised you've lasted this long. If, however, like me, you watch it for stellar acting, compelling characters and fantastic script, then this is your episode.

It's a magnificent calm-before-the-storm that is the 3 hour finale, and it wastes no time in slotting these characters into place, propelling almost every main character into their positions that will drive them through the finale.

Kara is searching for answers about herself and the watch-tower song; Helo and Athena are searching for their daughter; Boomer is attempting to grasp onto remnants of her former self; the old man is preparing to lose the two women he loves most. And that's without mentioning the final five and the Caprica and Baltar!

Every main character is given a beautiful moment, and Kara gets some fantastic scenes (I especially loved the symbolism as she steps out from the bright light after telling Baltar she's not an Angel, and then walks into a dark room with red streaming through it with Anders reminding her she is the harbinger of death).

I have missed Boomer! And I gotta say, I'm glad we're getting her back, somewhat. The little girl playing Hera must be a fantastic actress, or else they pinched her quite often, cos she sold those scenes with aplomb. As did Grace Park, effortlessly portraying the conflicted Boomer and Anguished Athena with equal gravitas.

There are too many instances to mull over, but I will say that any of the scenes involving Roslin and Bill were just gut-wrenching to watch. This show is certainly coming to an end and it's intending to go out with a bang, but it's making sure before it does, we're reminded why we love these characters, and this is the episode that showcases them in all of their glory.
  • Maddeningly, 'Islanded in a Stream of Stars' takes the same approach as 'Someone To Watch Over Me', choosing to wind down rather than amp up.

Maddeningly, 'Islanded in a Stream of Stars' takes the same approach as 'Someone To Watch Over Me', choosing to wind down rather than amp up, spending a little more quality time with our favourite crew before they all probably get blown to bits in the finale. This decision requires a deal of patience with the show, something that it would be completely understandable not to feel when one considers the scope of what we have to come. In this respect, it is rather like that other programme that Battlestar has so often been favourably compared to: J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5, in which the latter instalments of its fifth season were noticeably quiet rather than action-packed extravaganzas. At the time, it was a little disappointing but, on reflection, they work as acts of conclusion far better than any epic space battle would have. With that in mind, 'Islanded' perfectly pitches every emotionally cathartic moment: from Starbuck's 'outing' to the crew, forcing her to come to terms with the fact that, well, she probably isn't alive (or something) to Adama's need to let go of 'the love of his life' (as SFX describes it), his beloved ship. Granted, Olmos uncharacteristically overacts his 'breakdown' in the aggressive painting and decorating sequence but we'll forgive him this one digression in four years of perfection. Plus, he more than makes up for it in the final five minutes with one of his finest home runs as he says goodbye to Galactica with a similarly superb Tigh. Here's to a stellar finale...
  • Glactica continues to fall apart. We found out some more about Starbuck. Great scene at the end between Tigh and Adama raised this episode to above average.

The mystery of Starbuck is slowly revealing itself (maybe too slowly for some of the reviewers on here) She is indeed human and is back from the dead. Baltar uses this info publically to make a religous speech. A great scene was Starbuck putting her own picture back up on the wall of the dead. I don't see a scientific explanation for all of this and it looks like god is directing everything. (whatever god is in this show)

A great scene between Tigh and Adama as they accept that Galactica needs to be abandoned, although it looks premature as the teaser for the final shows it has one last battle in her.

Anders was plugged into the computer to help "reboot" him, and he talks just like a hybrid and tells Kara the same thing the hybrid said. (she is the "harbinger of death") A dying eight says a lyric from all along the watchtower to Tigh, so the mystery of what the song means deapens since an eight knew it too.

All and all, a good but not great episode. Not complaining as t sets things up for the final. Cant wait to see it!
  • The rebel Cylons and the Colonial humans react to Hera's kidnapping while the physical condition of the Galactica continues to deteriorate. If you need me I'll be commiserating with two tired old men…

Plot Synopsis (S04E19) – The rebel Cylons and the Colonial humans react to Hera's kidnapping while the physical condition of the Galactica continues to deteriorate. While Helo and Athena reel from the kidnapping of Hera, everything else seems to be falling apart too, from our girl the Battlestar to the new Congress of Fleet Captains, to Roslin, who seems to be getting closer to death episode by episode.

As the three episode finale is just around the corner, this episode was setting up all the little pieces in order to make the coming series finale something to behold. As the XO tries desperately to hold onto his humanity and all the things he knows and holds dear, the old man starts to let go of the past, embrace the current situation, and say goodbye to the Battlestar. Ordering everyone on the Battlestar to move to the baseship in the coming days and weeks, we see both men sitting in their dying ship - broken, and tired.

More Thoughts on 'Islanded in a Stream of Stars':
    - Starbuck's secret is also revealed in this episode, when Baltar outs her as the undead/angel version of Kara. - It was also great to see that Edward James Olmos directed this episode, which could be thought of as the penultimate episode before next week's two week finale kicks off.
    - Boomer is so far gone now, I wonder if her redemption will come at all.
    - Helo's scene with Adama was intense and Tahmoh Penikett really brought his A-game for those scenes.
    - Anders is awake!!! Kara needs to know what/who she is, and we want to know too! - I love so many of the scenes between Adama and Rosline, but them sharing a smoke, talking about where home really is has to be in my top two.
    - The colony is some weird looking bug like ship. Bottom Line: Every episode over means we're nearing closer to the end of a phenomenal series…sigh…

Next week: Two weeks left!!

More at www.theplurp.com
  • Emotional..

That episode seemed to be in so many ways setting the final stage.. it was very emotional, very powerful dialoge.. and some superb camera work.

I do not know even where to start. So much happened. Mainly it was Galactica whose health is rapidly going bad.. and Adama sees her ship and her love slipping away from him.. and that desperation.. that scene with the paint.. the anger.. the sadness. Well done.

Then there is Starbuck.. who tries to end Sam's suffering but that gets interesting turns.. and the whole thing with the wall.. she putting her picture there..

And I liked that in so many ways they reminded who they were before.. the journey those chars have made.. like Gaius and Caprica Six.. she said she has changed.. and Gaius.. he used to be scientist.. I have no idea what he is now..

Anyway.. a good episode.. for sure.
  • Anders is plugged into Galactica's systems as the ship is falling apart around the crew. Meanwhile Boomer takes Hera to the hub of the remaining Cylon army.

As the show builds up to its final few eps one can't help but think that the recent lull in tension is a slow build to a barnstorm ending.

This week Galactica is falling apart at the seams as the Cylon resin isn't repairing the ship. Adama is having trouble letting go of the ship when it is proposed by Lee that the crew abandon ship. This leads to the parliament making calls for it to get torn apart with the pieces being past out through the fleet.

Meanwhile Starbuck is still confused about her corpse on Earth and come to Baltar to see if he can explain whether the corpse is actually her. When he discovers that there is no doubt that it is her he uses it as a platform for his religious movement.

At the same time the Cylons in the fleet are asking Adama to send the Galactica to go after Boomer to retrieve Hera. They, along with Starbuck, believe that she is the key to the salvation both humans and Cylons. Adama allows the Cylons a raptor to scout where they believe the hub of the other Cylons is located. But they soon find that the hub has been moved and that there is no way of know where Hera may be. Helo wishes to look for her himself but Adama does not allow it.

This ep is a big step forward for the show with only a few eps remaining. This ep builds up for what is destined to be a big finale.

Have to say that this was another outstanding episode. No, it was not as pivotal as the previous episode nor will it be particularly memorable in and of itself. What it does, however, is weave more of the character's reactions into the final narrative. We need to see each of the characters slowly unraveling and dealing with the tragedies they have suffered. Seeing the effects on Helo and Athena as well as Adama and Rosalyn was truly gut-wrenching. This episode might have been quiet and a bit slow, but it was an expert set-up for the finale. We've seen the fuse slowly burning and now it is time for the fireworks.
  • It seems everyone is forced to change in desperate times and during impossible odds. Yet the ''flip of the coin' or the brink of distruction is ussualy followed by rebirth.

For some this means death has come for a visit that is long over due, while some will find evolution within dire prospect.

Ofcourse I'm talking about Adama's dying ladies, the death and rebirth of Kara and Sam, the developements revolving around Caprica Six and the always interesting Gaius Baltar and ofcourse as a subplot Helo's shame and Athena's anger and the never ending story about eledged father and mother of all descending Cylon; Saul and Helen Tie.

Wrapping up this weeks all round beautifuly written (almost poetic) episode about death and rebirth, evolution and dying love. Like any man I care about space battles, violence and sexual perversity. But at times like these, when little sense of sensebility runs through deep vains of emotion and psychological currents carefuly woven around beautifuly written plotlines played by truelly exceptional actors like Olmos, Pinekett and Sackhoff, then well I turn Metro.

Few highlights from my point of view: - Adama's dying ladies.
    - Bill and Saul's boundless friendship.
    - 'Helo' Agathon and Athena.
    - Anti Angel Thrace.
    - The end of the Battlestar (now thats a meta for ya).

Cheers to all my fellow BSG fanatics for sharing a truelly revolutionary ending to an allready (or soon to be) legendary tv show!
  • For better or for worse, it seems we are on predetermined wishy-washy auto-pilot.

I remember reading interviews with Eick and Larson and the cast before the beginning of the 4th-and-a-half season readying us for the incredible, explosive ride. Two or three episodes ago, that ride seemed to have arrived. Look at the list. These have 9.5 and 9.6 written all over them. And then, inexplicably, the writers decided we should have more pathos, character development and human drama. *4 episodes before the end of the series*
    See Boomer encounter the dreaded snivelling child!
    Rejoice in the return of lying insecure Baltar and nagging wife Ellen, both a step down from their previous roles of almost-Jesus and Cylon demi-god!
    Be thrust in the proooooolonged deaths of Roslin and Galactica!
    I challenge you to name one fraking thing that really happened in this episode except Sam being plugged in the Cylon mainframe that is of urgent, direct story consequence - and we even saved that little tidbit for the last episodes.
    Everything else is of a re-hash, drawn-out, hold-on-just-a-little-longer filler category (we actually needed reminding at THIS point that Cylons can be better than humans when that six saved the repair man??); I repeat, 4 episodes until the end of the entire series.
    Had they dispensed with this at the beginning of season 4, we would have an incredible wild ride of 7-8 episodes never before seen in the history of SF. As it is, in this episode, the word that sums it up for me is: whimper. And that can't be good.
  • Brought everything full circle, and brought everything closer together so that it will be easier to give everything a satisfying conclusion in the 3-part finale.

With Battlestar Galactica coming to a close, the writers finally start to pull things together for one last episode, before they can fully conclude all the stories that have developed over the years.

One of the most interesting stories this season has been Starubuck's story. She's had to deal with a lot this season, including finding out she is the "Harbinger of Death," finding her own dead body, dealing with Anders' near-death, seeing a vision of her father, and discovering that the song she was taught as a kid is the same one that triggered the Final Five's memory last year. In this episode, she is dealing with all of those issues, although didn't really give many answers to them, except Gaius confirming that she is not a Cylon. However, that wasn't the point. The scenes dealing with these issues were very well done, greatly developed her characters, and even got her to the point where she has accepted her resurrection. These scenes were very well done, and did a great job at showing her character develop.

And, speaking about Gaius, his character is finally starting to become more interesting again in this episode, after about half a season where his story was basically at a stand-still. In this episode, his story also comes full-circle. This episode shows that his new religious story isn't so far off from his original story. He says to the people who listen to him that angels are among them. That they take the forms of people who they care about the most, and he sees one every day. It is clear from the dirction of the scene that he is talking about his visions of Six, but it also seems to relate to Starbuck's visions. Can this be the start of answering the question of what these things are? Very possibly. It may not be angels like Gaius thinks, but I do have a feeling that it will be some kind of higher being that can appear to people whenever they want. The answer will have to wait though, but at least it seems that much closer than before. Also, his religious faith was strengthened as he found out about Starbuck's resurrection. "Death is not the end," according to him. Anybody who believes that there will be an afterlife will get one. But is this true? Or is Starbuck the only one who has the ability to resurrect? My guess is that everybody does, and it relates back to the beginning of the series, when Gaius and Six were in his home, and there was an explosion that could have killed him. We have been led to believe, or at least assume, that he just happened to survive. But if Starbuck had the ability to be resurrected, and not even know it until she saw her body, then it is very possible for the same to have happened to Gaius after that explosion. Another part of Gaius' story that I really enjoyed was the simple scene between him and Caprica Six. It did a great job at showing how much they have evolved, or in the case of Gaius' character, haven't evolved. They may have both gone through a lot of different experiences since the mini-series, but that one scene did a great job at showing that sometimes people can change due to their experiences, like Caprica Six, while some people remain the same despite their experiences, even if they turly believe they have changed.

Two characters who have already been brought full-circle before this episode are Helo and Athena. Their relationship from the start has been a comparison, and a contrast, to that of Boomer and Tyrol, and the previous episode highlighted that fact well. After the startling events that happened at the end of the last episode, their stories progress in a very natural way. They both grieve for their daughter, and both want to get her back. Helo hates himself for having sex with Boomer and blames himself for what happened. And because of that, he wants to redeem himself and chase after Hera. These scenes were a great continuation for what was developed in the last episode, and I really felt sorry for their characters. To have their child taken away like that, for whatever evil purpous Cavil wants her for, it was just so sad to see them going through that. I was hoping that either Adama would let him go, or he would sneak onto a ship and go after Boomer and Hera without his permission. I'm very interested in seeing where the writers take this tory in the last few episodes.

Throughout the series, a big part of Laura Roslin's story was that she was dying of breast cancer, and she had psychic visions. At the end of last episode, she collapsed, and in this one she's in the hospital, awake but dying. On top of this, her visions are back. Both of these things do a great job at bringing her character full-circle, and set up the rest of her story as well.

Finally, the near destruction of the Battlestar Galactica does a great job at bringing both Tigh and Adama full-circle. For Tigh, he's been so connected to the ship for most of the series, and closely connected to Adama. As pointed out a few episodes ago, his greatest love is Adama. But it wasn't just Adama that he felt connected to, it was the whole ship. Laura says to Adama that she's never really felt at home anywhere, excpet for Galactica. And it seems that is true for a lot of people, including Tigh. In fact, in a very beautiful scene between him and Ellen, when she asks him why he wouldn't go with her (the woman who he knew and loved since about 2000 years before), and their children (the other Cylons), he responds that he doesn't love her, and doesn't love the Cylons, nearly as much as he loves the ship and its people. He considers the people on the ship his family, not the Cylons.

Meanwhile, Adama deals with both the dying Roslin and the dying Galactica. As Roslin puts it, it must be hard for him to see the two women he loves the most dying before his eyes. He is put into a tough situation when he has to deal with the possibility of abandoning his ship, a possibility that he refuses to even consider at first. But as reality sets in, and as Roslin convinces him, sometimes you just have to let go of the one you love most, and he orders everybody to abandon the ship.

In the final scene, Adama tells Tigh of his decision, and at first he is very reluctant to accept it, but is slowly convinced that it has to happen. This is one of the most powerful non-cliffhanger endings that the show has ever produced, because it does a few things. First, it greatly emphasizes the frindship, and the understanding that these two characters have. They have gone through hell together, and gone through many changes, even ones that threatened their friendship (like finding out that Tigh was a Cylon), but after all that, they have not only remained friends, but actually grown much closer than ever before, and this scene does a great job at showing this. Second of all, it did a great job at really brining their characters full circle. Adama was forced into the role of leader of both the fleet and Galactica in the mini-series, but it's a role that he's growned into so well, and doesn't want to let it go. Tigh has also grown to love his life on the Galactica, and is even more reluctant to let go. But in the end, they both realize that it's for the best. But most of all, it greatly emphasizes the whole full-circle feeling that the entire episode gives throughout. It isn't just these characters that are going to say goodbye to the ship that they love so much. It's us fans as well. We feel it coming, now more than ever with this episode, and the 3 part finale getting closer than ever before. And this episode does an amazing job at playing with that feeling, giving us the knowledge that we can't go back from here, that this is the end.

After 4 amazing seasons, and an amazing second half of season 4, I couldn't be happier about what they did with this episode. They brought everything full circle, brought everything closer together, so that it is much easier to see that they will be able to conclude things in a satisfying way, and leaves us saying goodbye to these characters we've grown to know and love throughout the series.
  • Who would have guessed that a SciFi show that others thought had to do with space battles and enemy cyborgs would deal with such deep human issues of everyday life? Well written.

The show was a conclusion - not a conclusion to the BSG storyline but a conclusion in letting go of wish dreams and coming to grips with the future. Adama and Tigh want Galactica to go on. Starbuck wants to hold on to the life she had. Even little Hera wants to hold on to being with her Mom. But Adama and Tigh have to realize that Galactica won't be fixed, Starbuck has to realize that she did die and she isn't going to have Anders back as she remembered him, and Hera has to come to grips that Boomer isn't going to turn the ship back and she must deal with Boomer instead of with her Mom. And everyone has let go of Earth being the answer.

It's obvious that Adama has more planned than just to cannibalize Galactica for the rest of the fleet. Cavil's nefarious plans obviously involve repopulating the Cylons somehow through Hera. I doubt Helo will be at peace with Adama's decision. What parent would? But maybe he'll hold on and trust 'the old man.'

How about that Cylon colony? Looked like the Borg Queen's headquarters! But BSG is so much deeper than old Voyager ever was.

So now that they have let go of the past, what future is in store?

We'll have to wait till next Friday,

BK13
  • Things are in place for the final revelations and this show has jumped started it's engines like never before. The daybreak trilogy following this episode, will be unforgettable.

There was a lot revealed in this episode, no question about that. We look into Kara's situation a little more, we get to see a little more of Baltar, we find out Roslin's actually alive (which was somewhat disappointing for some reason, seeing how she's gotten lucky with her life so many times!) There was so much more covered in this episode yet it didn't feel rushed in any was whatsoever.

It's episodes like this that have left me speechless after the credits. No jaw dropping, because that's over-dramatic, but I was completely silent for minutes after the episode was done because of the fact that the end is almost here. After four long seasons, three episodes remain, which will all be aired within the next two weeks. Galactica ended when it was supposed to. It didn't over stay it's welcome by deciding to pull plot twists out of a hat, it was decided that season four would be the final season, and that was the best decision that was ever made for the show. Because by the end of Daybreak part three, we will know the truth.

Now, enough of discussing the show in general, back to the episode. There were so many memorable moments in this episode, and there's no need to review these moments to avoid more spoilers than I've already given in the first paragraph of this review. In general, it was well written, well acted and wonderfully executed.

Two weeks to go, I have absolutely no doubt that this series is going to go out with a bang. A memorable, perhaps unforgettable episode. One of my personal favorites for sure.