Battlestar Galactica

Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 06, 2009 on Syfy

• ''BSG is coming to an end and it's intending to go out with a bang, but it's making sure before it does, we're reminded why we love these characters, and this is the episode that showcases them in all of their glory.''

Having read most of the reviews before this, it's startling, and slightly hilarious, how viewers are treating this episode - a tour de force of some of the finest acting and storytelling to come from season four - calling it ''filler'' and boring.

Are we watching the same show?

I suppose I should break it down real quick, just so you don't have to read the rest of the review: if you only watch BSG for its space battles, well, I'm surprised you've lasted this long. If, however, like me, you watch it for stellar acting, compelling characters and fantastic script, then this is your episode.

It's a magnificent calm-before-the-storm that is the 3 hour finale, and it wastes no time in slotting these characters into place, propelling almost every main character into their positions that will drive them through the finale.

Kara is searching for answers about herself and the watch-tower song; Helo and Athena are searching for their daughter; Boomer is attempting to grasp onto remnants of her former self; the old man is preparing to lose the two women he loves most. And that's without mentioning the final five and the Caprica and Baltar!

Every main character is given a beautiful moment, and Kara gets some fantastic scenes (I especially loved the symbolism as she steps out from the bright light after telling Baltar she's not an Angel, and then walks into a dark room with red streaming through it with Anders reminding her she is the harbinger of death).

I have missed Boomer! And I gotta say, I'm glad we're getting her back, somewhat. The little girl playing Hera must be a fantastic actress, or else they pinched her quite often, cos she sold those scenes with aplomb. As did Grace Park, effortlessly portraying the conflicted Boomer and Anguished Athena with equal gravitas.

There are too many instances to mull over, but I will say that any of the scenes involving Roslin and Bill were just gut-wrenching to watch. This show is certainly coming to an end and it's intending to go out with a bang, but it's making sure before it does, we're reminded why we love these characters, and this is the episode that showcases them in all of their glory.