Battlestar Galactica

Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 25, 2005 on Syfy

• Something's wrong.

That was the best cold open so far in the series, so much going on but it was all done well. The shots of Sharon struggling with taking her own life were brilliantly acted on her part. Grace Park seems to be one of those actresses who does better without dialogue. Cdr. Adama's words to Apollo after their boxing match were written and delivered with equal aplomb.

Cdr. Adama: "You don't lose control."
    Capt. Adama: "Thanks."
    Cdr. Adama: "No...you gotta lose control. Let your instincts take over."
    Capt. Adama: "I thought we were just sparring."
    Cdr. Adama: "That's why you don't win."

And the string of scenes were tied together with such a beautiful piece of music, it was suspenseful yet somber, and thus fit perfectly with the the cold open.

My favorite scene, besides the cold open, was definitely the one between Baltar and Sharon in her bunk. Baltar really surprised me by even going in there, let alone showing that much compassion. If the two of them weren't already amongst my favorite characters they would have been after that scene.

Roslin, on the other hand, pretty much secured a permanent position as my least favorite character by convincing Starbuck to take the Raider back to Caprica. The thing that pissed me off the most about is that she's basically telling Starbuck, "I have no faith in you're ability or plan to take down the Basestar and don't think you'll make it back with the Raider." Plus, the Basestar has to be destroyed before they can use the arrow on Kobol anyway. So why not just do that first, potentially rescue a couple very important members of the fleet(Chief and Baltar), and then go off looking for the arrow in Cylon-held territory? Even if it was an issue of them being able to track the transponder in the Raider that was used to destroy the Basestar, they could have swapped it out with the other fully functional one before she headed off to Caprica. Awaggghh! I frakkin' hate her.

I did enjoy the entire episode, even when I was angry at Roslin.