Battlestar Galactica

Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 01, 2005 on Syfy

• The one where: by odin's beard, what an ending!

Well, frak me. That has to be one of the best endings I've ever seen; totally unexpected and completely shocking, my jaw was very much on the floor. It's a cliff-hanger that caps off yet another superbly woven tale, bringing most dangling plot-lines together, while raising some new, hairy situations for next season – like a proper finale should.

It's a finale of many highlights, though my favourite has to be the whopping slug-fest between Starbuck and Cap-Six. It's a bloody and bruising affair, with the towering, blonde toaster a little bit too much to handle for Starbuck. I liked that it wasn't particularly overly choreographed, just quite a few punches aimed at Starbuck's face. Another scene I enjoyed involving Starbuck was her sudden realisation that Boomer back on the Battlestar is a cylon. Katee gives it her all and completely sells her helplessness to do anything about it.

The special-effects, like always, are truly dazzling. The sequence where Crashdown, er, crashes down onto Kobal was particularly impressive. He seems to be a tad inexperienced to deal with the kind of pressure that has been put upon him, as Tyrol points out plenty of holes in his suggested plans of action. Let's hope Tyrol can keep getting through to him otherwise they shant be long for that world.

The stand-off between Roslin and Adama was a fascinating chess-game of willpower. Both believing that the other is bluffing, when it couldn't be farther from the truth. Both put their money where their mouth is, and it is Roslin who makes the final decision to be arrested and thrown into the brigg, to prevent any bloodshed on her ship. All it took was for Roslin to make the radical decision of recruiting Starbuck to her religious cause for Adama to truly show his colours. It's evident he believes that he runs the show and that Roslin is only along for the ride.

No stats this time, I'm afraid. (But let us take solace in the fact that we get to see tens and tens of grace park nekkid.)

All in all, this is a glorious way to bow out of a (generally) really strong season as a whole. This one gave me chills on more than one occasion. Teriffic stuff!