Battlestar Galactica

Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 1

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 03, 2006 on Syfy

• A dark time.

The snippets from the presidential debates, while not exactly enthralling, were well written. Baltar in particular had some dialogue that was, if not inspiring, at least convincing(only because I know his character better than the people of the fleet). And any time someone can put Roslin on tilt is a good time. Even at this point I was 100% against Baltar as president, but it was nice seeing him get her so flustered that she had to result to some rather un-presidential comebacks, "Why don't you go frak yourself?" Baltar folding in the discovery of the new planet into his existing strategy of attacking Roslin's faith based quest for Earth was a very savvy political maneuver. Zarek's still no Bruno Gianelli or anything though. If anyone is curious to know where I would stand on the issue; you couldn't get me off of Galactica(or Pegasus) even if it was Earth they had just found. Now if I was part of the civilian fleet it might be a different story, but probably not.

I found myself still sympathizing a great deal with Sharon. The scene in the briefing room in particular was hard to watch knowing all that she's going through. It didn't get any better out in the hallway either. Helo's not a bad character, but man, the guy can be oblivious sometimes. Did you really just ask her if she's okay? No, she's not gonna be okay for awhile.

Introducing the whole idea of fate, and the Gods or God showing favor to either side early on in the series was a smart move, as it allows discoveries like the planet Racetrack finds to have some reason behind their suddenness, which is more than many shows would do. Beyond that I wasn't really crazy about the scenes of Starbuck's Raptor battalion's journey to Caprica. They weren't notably bad, it just felt like they were filler to stretch out the storyline so they could save their arrival for the end of the episode. Plus I felt bad for the red shirts that ended up in a mountain.

Chief letting his feelings for Sharon go so far as to make him question his own humanity was one of the better storylines in my opinion. I enjoyed his scenes with Brother Cavil(I'll elaborate on him in the next episode). The quick cuts of Chief beating Cally and his dream sequence were some nice pieces of cinematography/editing. I don't know if it was something they had to do for scheduling reasons, but I like Chief appearing beardless in the dream, as if to imply it's how he sees himself. If you didn't want to kill yourself before, I imagine wailing on a sweetheart like Cally would certainly get you there. And Cavil's, "it's all on you," form of therapy didn't seem to provide much comfort.

It was solid but beyond a few moments nothing especially noteworthy about it. Maybe I was just expecting too much because of how good the last season finale's Pt. 1 was.