Battlestar Galactica

Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 10, 2006 on Syfy

• Looks like you're frakked

***Obligatory Spoiler Warning***

They were right about one thing - the season finale definitely got people talking, and from what I hear it's mostly been good. It was a pretty bold move, rolling the dice on the future of one of the most acclaimed series on television by completely changing the dynamic of the story. But as a wiser man than I once said, sometimes you've got to roll the hard six.

Everything seemed fine leading up to the end, didn't it? We had some more real-world political parallels with a very close election, a dark tale of the mental anguish that Chief Tyrol has been quietly suffering, and a potentially ill-fated rescue mission back to Caprica. And yet there was a feeling that everything was about to change. Whether it was Sharon's premonitions, the forboding voice of the new preacher, or the appearance of a dark new world, something seemed to scream that there was change a-brewin'. Knowing that this was a ninety-minute season finale may have had something to with it. President Baltar. Okay, I've stopped shuddering. How do you campaign for President when everyone who works with you thinks you're completely nuts? Give Zarek some credit for selling his candidate, I suppose. And did Roslin really have to be so adamant that they not settle on New Caprica? Couldn't she have just, you know, lied to everyone about giving it some thought? Could that be any worse than having Baltar as President? Big picture, people. And how hard is it to rig an election? That stunt was amateurish; if you wait until the very last box of ballots to throw the thing by a few thousand votes, you're going to raise a lot of suspicions. If you really want to steal a democratic election, give the people some credit and try to do it right. Joe Kennedy must be rolling in his grave.

The producers tell us that one of our pals isn't going to make it off of New Caprica next season. My money's on Anders; a happily-married Starbuck is just no kind of Starbuck I want to see.