Battlestar Galactica

Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 10, 2006 on Syfy

• Magnanimous in victory.

As soon as the copy of Brother Cavil appeared on Caprica(in an eerie moment) I was happy. I had been hoping/suspecting that he was a Cylon because I had been thinking for awhile they needed an older model, sort of a contemporary to Adama and Roslin. Plus I love his existential, "There is no God." way of looking at things, which Dean Stockwell pulls off well with an air of indifference in all his lines, notable even for a Cylon. His scene in the brig delivering the Cylon's message was especially good.

Anders getting involved in the love triangle between Apollo and Starbuck didn't really make me enjoy it anymore. I will say however, that Starbuck having to make herself hate Apollo so she can love Anders was hard to watch and made me question my feelings on her character, so in that sense it was a compelling scene.

Even though I knew it was going to be a cluster **** of outrageous proportions if Baltar became president, I couldn't help but love seeing him stick it to Roslin during their private meeting aboard Galactica. Seeing her reduced to begging was just sad and I had to smile at Baltar's final quip.

Baltar: "You know I saved your life? But I won't save your political career."

I have absolutely no respect left to lose for Roslin, but Jesus! How far can you sink, lady? I had been expecting her to ask/order Adama to "disappear" Baltar, so I guess rigging an election is actually a step up. Tigh's involvement didn't surprise me either as he strikes me as the kind of guy who could be bought off for a couple bottles of something. Dee disappointed me though, I'll chalk it up to her feeling like she owes Billy something. I think the fact that even Baltar couldn't see Roslin doing something like that speaks to how far she had really fallen. I might look at it differently if it hadn't been Roslin herself that started Baltar's political career, but I can't help but feel that this is all her fault.

Baltar's swearing in was filled with a sense of dread and made a disturbing impression by being interlaced with scenes of his one night with Six. Which lead into another disturbing scene of Six using the bomb to end her's and many other's lives. Scenes which helped to establish Baltar's mindset and attitude going into the time jump.

I liked the plot(not my favorite ever but I was enjoying it), but I just think it could have been formed up a little better. I guess they felt the need to end on a big cliffhanger, but I think if done right, Six's bomb going off and Baltar's inauguration could have made for a good ending. It just makes more sense(in my admittedly amateur opinion) to have the year pass in between seasons.

Seeing Adama walk the empty hallways as Galactica is falling into a state of disrepair was a sad moment. And a little frightening as it became clear how ill prepared they were for any kind of attack. Not that I didn't have faith in Caprica Six and Sharon, but I knew things weren't going down that easy. Him sending Tigh down to New Caprica was also an emotional scene, and really well written I thought. The colonel seemed to take his arrival in stride, but it was pretty disorienting for me. Chief Trotsky-sorry, Tyrol- ranting over workers rights. And did he put that bun in Cally's oven!? Gaeta working for Baltar, Starbuck playing housewife or at least nursemaid to Anders, yeah, it all left me feeling off my axis. Which in retrospect was a good thing, as it gave the Cylon's partially expected arrival even more impact. It turning out to not only be Baltar's fault for having them settle there, but also for them being discovered because of the nuke he gave Six was the kind of bitter piece of irony this show does so well. I didn't enjoy it as much as Kobol's Last Gleaming, but it was good. Seeing the two Battlestars(and the rest of the fleet) jump away was probably one of the more impactful moments of the series. The Cain/Pegasus arc is still my favorite part of this season though.