Battlestar Galactica

Maelstrom

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2007 on Syfy

• Starbuck comes face to face with her destiny and destiny just doesn't live up to the hype.

We've been told Starbuck has a destiny for the last few episodes. All those episodes have been building up to this final Maelstrom. Yet somehow I feel cheated, and so should Starbuck.

We have learned recently that Starbuck has been drawing and seeing the 'eye of Jupiter' since she was a little girl. We learned in this episode that her unstableness and self-destructive streak stem from unresolved mother issues. She never had a chance to say goodbye to her dying mother and hence never had closure. That I can buy.

The whole episode is filled with not so suddle foreshadowing of the ending. Kara and Lee pick out their spots on the wall of the dead. The candle drips multicolored wax onto the floor in the shape of starbuck's visions. Starbuck gives Adama a figurehead for the model ship he is building in a 'goodbye' gesture.

But I can't accept that Starbuck's much-hyped destiny was to kill herself in a storm on some unknown planet on the way to Earth. She is too important a character to meet her end in such an unimportant manner. I truly hope that this 'ending' was simply a tactic to throw us fans off the track of her real destiny. I don't think she's dead at all.