Battlestar Galactica

Maelstrom

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2007 on Syfy

• Adama: "What do you hear, Starbuck?" Starbuck: "Nothing but the rain."

Did this episode really happen? Did the writers really kill off my favorite character? Let me count the ways this episode pissed me off:

1. They killed Starbuck. 2. They killed Starbuck in such a pointless way. She didn't go out in a blaze of glory. She didn't die in a struggle for redemption or trying to save the human race. 3. All the talk of Starbuck's "destiny", and this is all we get? Her special destiny was to accept death? I’m just not buying it. 4. The episode left me with too many questions and zero answers. If that wasn't Leoben, who was it? What does "all this has happened before, and will happen again" mean? When will be getting answers to these questions? BSG has gotten big on the mythology lately; I just wish I understood it.

In reality, Starbuck's death shouldn't have shocked me as much as it did. The Hollywood rumor mill has been hinting at Starbuck's demise for months now. All the references to the pilot episode; Starbuck finally acknowledging that her and Lee's relationship is going nowhere; Starbuck telling Lee where she wanted her photo to be if she died; throughout the episode I could feel her death coming, but I don’t think I was ready for how it all played out. I just wish she had died for something. Her death felt so meaningless and sudden, that I didn't even feel any emotions until that final scene with Adama.

Is this the last we'll see of the character, though? Will Starbuck come back as a Cylon? I don't know if I'd like that. Actually...frak it. I don't care how she comes back, I just want her back. Final Notes and Quotes - Survivor Count: Same as last weeks. 41, 400.

- We finally met Starbuck's mother, Corporal Socrata Thrace. No wonder Starbuck is so screwed up. I liked the flashbacks. More insight into Starbuck is always fine by me.

- That sex scene with Leoben in the beginning was a scorcher. I'm sure I could apply symbolism to it if I wanted to.

- Leoben: "You're free now to become who you really are. I'm here to prepare you to pass through the next door, to discover what hovers in the space between life and death." What the frak does that mean? Sounds a lot like what D'Anna believed she was destined for.

- Starbuck: "After all we've been through, we are right back where we started. You're the CAG, and I'm your hot shot problem pilot. I guess that's all we'll ever be now, huh?"

- If Katee Sackhoff's name is out of the credits next week, I might just cry.

Final Rating: This was a powerful and emotional episode. But it's not what I wanted. Let's just leave it at that.

- Tim Bronx Find this and many more reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com