Battlestar Galactica

No Exit

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 13, 2009 on Syfy

• The last of the Final Five returns, Anders knows the truth behind the creation of the Humanoid Cylons, and Boomer does something right.

We all wondered how it happened. How did the Cylons evolve into human form? We knew that they created the Hybrids in an attempt to do so, but that attempt was unsuccessful. Now we know.

This episode was the reveal of the big mystery that the Miniseries, Seasons 1-3, Razor, and Season 4 have all been leading towards. The Final Five are the reason why the Cylons were able to take human form, and Cavil was the first, hence the numbering of the Significant Seven models.

Let's take a moment with Cavil, shall we? He helped the Final Five create the other six models we are all familiar with. Among all the Cylons, he is steadfast in his belief that they are nothing more than machines, although his expressions betray his words. Cavil has been the most sadistic and cruel towards the human race, and his conversations with Ellen Tigh reveal his reasons for that. One of which is his own self-loathing towards the fact that he feels like a machine trapped in a man's body. Just picture the Smith-possessed Bane in The Matrix Revolutions and you'll see what I mean. The other is jealousy towards the Number Seven model we never knew about, and the reason for the Final Five not knowing their true nature.

Cavil was created by Ellen Tigh in the image of her father, and his original name was John. When I heard that I started to think, were the other Cylons also created in similar fashions? Something to think about.

Why do I get the feeling that Tyrol's idea to repair Galactica's damaged hull is just gonna lead to disaster? He's talking about using Cylon organic material to keep the old battlestar from coming apart at the seams, and while I don't think the rebel Cylons are gonna try to destroy them given the recent events, I'm getting this nagging feeling that it's gonna come back to bite them in the ass.

What really got my attention was Boomer. For the first time since New Caprica, she really did something right. For a time I thought she was just another version of Cavil, motivated by a self-loathing and a desire to rid herself of her past sins. What is gonna happen when she and Ellen reach Galactica, and what are they gonna do to her given that she shot Adama?

This ep was revealing to say the least, and while not emotionally charged like the previous two episodes, it served to further the storyline along and give us some answers. The end is coming and we know it, and Ron Moore and David Eick are gonna make sure that it goes out with a bang.