Battlestar Galactica

Pegasus

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• A very hard episode to watch, but still gripping.

Like many BSG episodes, this one was very hard on the viewer. In the case of this episode, the themes of sexual assault-both of the Pegaus Six and Sharon-created some very disturbing imagery. The almost rape of Boomer is one of the most horrific scenes Galactica has yet presented.
    Still, the episode is worth watching. We get some great contrast between the crew of the Galactica and the crew of the Pegasus-particularly the conflicting command styles of Adama and Cain. This episode also explores the theme of the dehumanizing effect crisis and war has on people. The crew of the Pegasus has become almost as inhuman as the Cyclons-perhaps even worse, if you take into account the sadistic joy the Pegasus crew takes in their cruelety, vs. the cold, "robotic" attitude of most Cylons. And Adama gets to show his cool side!

All in all, a disturbing but gripping season ender.
  • THIS SHOW IS NOT MEANT FOR KIDS!! If it was it would be at 3p.m. and stupid Sponge Bob would be jumping all over the damn place.

Finally catching up, I watched this season ending episode and was amazed how well written, acted and directed this episode was. Most people were “shocked” about the rape scene, well here’s news for you- This show is NOT MEANT for kids!! If it was it would be at 3p.m. and stupid Sponge Bob would be jumping all over the damn place.

This episode begins with what they though was a prayer being answered –another ship survived. It soon becomes evident that the crew of the Pegasus and Galactica view things differently and this leads to friction and the inevitable “showdown”. I’m glad that Adama stood up to the Admiral and didn’t simply bend over because she outranks him. This episode clearly shows how unified the crew of the Galactica are.
  • Best episode of Battlestar Galactica. Period.

This is one of the greats in science fiction and is the best episode of the series. It has a great storyline and a nice pace, as Admiral Cain appears friendly at first and then mutates into a (fill-in-the-blank). While extremely disturbing, the scene where Sharon is nearly raped is very well-done. It goes back and forth between Sharon being interrogated and Helo getting more angry with the men from Pegasus talking about how they abused their Cylon prisoner. It heightens in intensity until the climax of the scene, when the Chief and Helo stop Thorne from raping her and accidentally kill him. James Callis shines as Gaius Baltar in his last scene in the episode, as he talks with the abused Number Six who is being held in Pegasus. When he talks to her, he does Gaius' emotions excellently, as he admits, for the first time, that he is in love with Humber Six. The cliffhanger is a force to be reckoned with, and is one of the best cliffhangers that I have seen to date. And I've seen some amazing cliffhangers. The music throughout the entire episode, and most especially at the end is utterly amazing. The episode needs a soundtrack all too itself. At the end of the episode, the music is at first strings, showing the intensity between Cain and Adama. Then it combines strings and percussion, showing the increasing intensity as Galactica launches it's fighters against Pegasus. It then goes into full-blown percussion, as Pegasus launches its fighters to counterattack, making for a stunning cliffhanger. This episode is, from beginning to end, amazing. It is without doubt the best episode of Battlestar Galactica to date. And I cannot wait for Resurrection Ship.
  • Its hard for sci-fiction, or rather, any sort of television series that relies on false realities (such as fantasy) to break through into what is compassionately human.

A episode truly beyond itself. There are fewer things on television that allow themselves to exist without limitations, to be all they can be. A parallel is, though a different genre: Family Guy. The show exists today not because it was trying to fit into the bubble of comfort that so many find to be the nature of telivision. However, it, like BattleStar Galactica pushes forward and lives on in a state of realistic boundaries. I may mention that many shows tackle these things, rape, torture, but to find a way to create a world, or realm that can be both far-fetched and realistic... that is truly the pleasure of proper writing.

I don't deny that many undertones in the series are somewhat horrifying, however, I merely suggest that word as a means. What it is about this episode that I find most striking is the humanity involved. The issue of the rape is, to me, a horrible thing to watch... as it is meant to be. Yet the fact that it is at the core fake certainly lightens the blow. I am impresesd that a show is able to investigate, and provoke in a manner that is entirely touching, that you can't help but hurt for the characters... well that just shows progress. Human Cruelity is a current that runs through the veins of this show, yes, and this certainly is meant to open eyes wider, to escape from the fantasies involved. To make it real...

I would suggest that for those that have gone through experiences of rape, that they would not want their stories excused, and absolutely that they would never want to re-live them... but at the very least they would not want a reinactment to be softened, to make it any less terrible. If only to ensure that people understand that it IS so terrible. On many levels, though not in the least... it is acheived here.
  • Now we're getting down to it - are they toasters or are they people? Our heroes (Galactica) are forced to face that question in the torture and attempted rape of Sharon/Boomer Mk2 (or is it Mk3?).

The appearance of Pegasus was utterly unexpected. Maximum points to the writers for this.

As for the claims by some people that the appearance of violence (torture, rape) on this show has ruined it for them: don't we watch this show because it's one of the most real SF shows ever shown? Aren't these people human, their problems equally human? These terrible things are what people have been doing to other people since time began. And, frankly, weren't the blood and guts on show from the gunplay (throughout the series) equally violent?

More credit to the writers for daring to be truthful.

A truly fascinating episode, and Edward James Olmos is simply superb in his own personal torture.
  • This was a perfect cliff hanger for the first half of the season. It made you think, how would the military react without a civilian government.

The Pegasus believes they are the last survivors. They believe all humanity is gone. Primal urges and resoning takes over. I believe we have not heard of all the atrocities. When the truth comes out I think evryone will be shocked as too what Cain has let happen. The Galactica as run by Adama with the influence of civilians has been void of most of these feelings. The crew of the Peasus had no future to see. They had no earth or Kobol. They could not see an escape from the Cylons. I hope we get some flash backs in the next few episodes so we can what the crew of the Pegasus went through. I do not believe cain's story. I believe she turned tail and ran.
  • Caught between the ruthlessly of the cylons and an admiral Cain drunk with power, Adama and his crew have yet once again to fight for the preservation of their human and moral qualities.

What happens when you strip people of common sense, when you lose all perspective, hope and empathy, and the only thing you have left is to blindly follow orders, to accept authority without questions asks? You get dehumanized.
    In ‘Pegasus’ we are shown an alternate vision of how the battlestar could have been run. After the initial euphoria, the mood quickly becomes grim and oppressive. The relief of finding another battlestar who survived the cylons attack, quickly turns into a clash between the characters Cain and Adama and their respective crews. Cain is right about Adama, his empathy could be perceived as a flaw, were it not that this is exactly what distincts humans from the cylons. Although the cylons built the 12 models as closely human possible by incorporating emo-software, they will never be able to grasp the aspect of empathy and caring.

Sharon for exemple, when asked of she’s in love with Helo, answers “you’re the father of my child, you’re are the first in my heart”. She is capable of feelings of love, but not of love itself. Furthermore she can’t comprehend the complexity of the feelings brought on by her formal model with chief Tyrol. The dynamics of such love triangular are very interesting to watch, for it is in their inner nature that we see how the crew and more specific Helo and Tyrol cope with different situations. Sharon, although an I.A. is not reduced to an object, a thing, but is act upon as a being distinctly different from humans. The crew on the Pegasus have lost that distinction and in that, their humanity.

• Great cliffhanger episode.

This episode of battlestar is exactly why I watch the series. Adama showed a new side on himself when he turned over his leadership to the evil female captain and again when he ordered his vipers to strike agains the other ship. I can't wait until January when the conclusion will be shown. This show also brought up questions about the treatment of human-cyclons with the cyclon-interrigator from the other ship. Although I'm no cylon lover I was very pleased when they killed him. The humans will have to set some kind of rules regarding this issue since they will more likely then not be facing this problem again.
  • Just an absolute cliffhanger and a half - pulp TV, that actually gets a family debating subjects such as treatment of the enemy.

I hate the Pegasus.

I hate its Admiral, its CAG, its XO, its interrogation chief, its deck chief, its treatment of prisoners.

I can't believe they treat prisoners like that. Just sickening. How do you follow orders from an Admiral who condones such things? Poor Six, poor Sharon.

BUT, this episode was simply majestic.

I'm glad the rape scene wasn't too graphic - it didn't need to be - just seeing Sharon (YES, she's a Cylon, but to me she's still part-human also) beaten followed by her arms pulled in front of her, and then the rapist pulling down his pants was disturbing enough.

I think this episode was about dehumanising your enemy - if you successfully do that, it makes it easier to perform all sorts of atrocities on them.

I cheered when both Helo and the Chief ran to her aid though. :)

There was other important thiongs going on in this episode, but for me, it was the dehumanising of the enemy that was an important subject for me.

• Excellent Cliffhanger. Waiting for next episode

This is an awesome episode where I'm just left guessing whats going to happen. The cliffhanger at the end, with the two battlestars attacking each other is epic.

I'm dying to see the next episode, and wish it would be released!!!!!!!!!!

(and hoping so much that its not coming out in jan 2006)
  • This show declares that this episode is NOT FOR KIDS. Torture, rape, and other nasty stuff

I hate the US mid season break, I do not think that it happens in any other country, not in Australia, anyway.

I give this show thee different ratings, the first a 10, for being a great episode, the second a 8 for being a two parter and the third for the long pause between dates 0.

The review

The Galataica discovers a radar blip of a large size, they think it to be a Cylon Basestar, it turns out to another Battlestar, the more modern Pegasus, and its commanding officer, Admiral Cain.

After much fanfare and celebration, the real plot of the story evolves.

The Pegasus, also has a Cylon prisoner with is the Number six (Gais Balters personal fav) she is found to be in a catatonic state, after been tortured and repeatedly raped. Baltar surmises that the Cylon Psychology can be broken or manipulated, much like our own (humans) can. In the end he declares(in the solitude interrogation room) his love for the person he knew before the war and that she was a Cylon that looked exactly like her.

Meantime, some of the Pegasus Crew is boating to Callie, Helo and the Chief, about their “conquests” with their captured Cylon, all while, the Pegasus’s Cylon interrogator is making his way and trying to have his way with Sharon. This leads to a confrontation with Helo, Chief and the Lt Thorn(interrogator), where they (Helo an Chief) rush to the aid of Sharon, and inadvertently kill (slams his head on a wall) the LT Thorn.

They are taken to the Pegasus found guilty of murder and treason, and sentenced to death.

This lead Commander Adama to sent a “Retrieval Raptor” to the Pegasus to get his men back from Admiral Cain, to which she responds, by launching her alert fighters.
    Commander Adama does likewise.

• The Galactica finds Pegasus, and a battle for control breaks out.

Come on people! There are what, some 40,000 humans left alive. Maybe more, and they are gonna go out and kill 2 for protecting a prisoner. Not only that, but then they are gonna have a huge war? Why dont they just set off nukes and do the Cylons jobs for them!
  • WOW!!!!

Another great episode. I felt that Admiral Cain was way over the edge. You can even look at her crew and see fear from them when she gives the order to attack the Galactica. The Chief still loves Sharon or at least still cares for her, which really showed when he and Helo stopped the officer from attacking Sharon. Apollo and Starbuck being sent to the Pegagus was a joke. Like they are going to follow orders any better over there. Starbuck left to go get the new stealth viper to do her own recon.

Mutiny!
  • Another good episode although I wish this time we had more resolution

This was another good episode and a big pick up from the somewhat lacking Lucy Lawless/reporter ep. I am a little annoyed that we haven't heard anything about Boomers baby. This kid is supposed to be integral to the Cylons plan and yet we haven't heard anything about it since it was born. I also wish that there had been a bit more resolution. With the season one finale I felt it was an appropriate cliffhanger but this one left me hanging a bit too much.

To the folks who have complained about the attempted rape scene I have to agree that it was hard to watch. However, that's intentional. Battlestar Galactica is not supposed to be one of the kinds of shows which we are always comfortable watching. On one level I think this is a not too subtle comment on the practices of the US military today. However, it is also an indicator of how far out of bounds Admiral Cain has slipped. She has put a sadist in charge of interrogation. Even if one were to accept the efficacy of torture there are other methods to conduct it other than rape. The fact that this was the method chosen by the interrogator indicates that he is more concerned with satisfying his own urges than with obtaining reliable information (indeed his methods have rendered the valuable captive Six catatonic). It's also a good way to get Helo and the Chief involved in a violent confrontation. If this guy were doing what would probably be standard fleet practice of aggressive questioning they probably would never have interuppted. But the extreme nature of his sadistic torturing led them to fly in like the cavalry and led to the confrontation between Galactica and Pegasus.
  • Realism, edge of the seat instalment

All through the show so far, every episode was able to continue building the characters for us, however, this episode also seems to have tried to make us realise that things are not black and white, wrong or right, do we become as bad as the enemy, even if the enemy is not of our own kind? If we want to do some philosophical thinking here we can ask wither the directors trying to draw parallels with real life? Do we let the rules bend if whoever we have imprisoned not from our race, colour, nationality or religion? Who knows…

This episode was able to keep me on the edge of my seat from the get go to the worlds to be continued, that’s when I remembered or realised that there won’t be a continue for this next week! Aaahhhhh

I do agree with the person above who said that when they came to rescue boomer that the two military personal did not shoot them on site, but hey it’ s only a show at the end.

Such an enjoyable episode, I hope the next one can keep up with my now too hight expectations!
  • One damn-fine episode

"Pegasus" shows exactly why some critics call Battlestar the best show on T.V. The writing was brilliant, the plot was intense as all hell, and the ending left me wanting more. I don't think I've ever seen a more dramatic or disturbing scene than the rape/interrogation scene. Now I have to wait 3 damn months for a new episode. Shat.
  • Muddy Brilliant, evil tyranical dictator Admiral Cain shows what an Iron fist will force good people to resort to.

Absolutely brilliant, trials pending executions, muntiny its got it all....A proverbial synopsis of humatity itself. Good v Evil.

Although abit strong for some more sensitive viewers the rape scene of Boomer and the realisation as to how Cain's cylon prisoner came to be such a shocking state clearly shows what depths humanity will drop to during war.

Mid season finales should be outlawed can't wait till 2006!
  • Pivotal plot developments, great tension between the macho sadistic behavior of the Pegasus crew and the more humane Galactica crew. However, the Adama and McDonnell's acting leaves much to be desired, and the camera lingers too long affecting the pacing

The old, clunk Galactica has found another battlestar ship, the Pegasus. I thought the plot situations were good, especially the way Admiral Kane pointed out the lack of expected military discipline aboard the Galactica. It's to be expected, these officers were the rag-tag misfits who never quite got the whole obedience factor of a military heirarchy, assigned to a soon-to-be declassified battlestar. The tension between the macho bordering on sadistic attitude of the Pegasus officers and the more humane Galactica crew were well done. My heart was beating in my chest when Helo and Chief were running to prevent the attempted rape of the Cylon Boomer. It seems a bit unbelievable that the guards wouldn't immediately shoot Helo and Chief as they were beating the interrogator mercilessly, but oh well, it led to the inevitable break of Galactica from Pegasus command.

My major qualm with this episode, however, was with the acting and directing. Specifically with the morose mumblings of Adama, except near the end, and the questionable acting chops of McDonnell as the President. Admiral Kane was appropriately stiff, proud, and commandeering however, and the flight officers and Baltar are well-cast. In addition, the pacing of the episode feels off, as the camera lingers too much on one scene, instead of efficiently cutting to the next. There was one or two times that I felt, let's get on with the story, especially with such a juicy plot as this. I have to blame the director and editor, for not demanding the right acting from the actors, and for their lazy editing. If the episode was tighter and better acted, I would give it a higher score.
  • Awesome show but...January AAAGHHHHHH

This is why I bought the DVD...Because I knew this stupid break was coming.

I have been surfing the net and have found some interesting things...

The fans of the old series are really freaked out about the new show especially this episode. But people complained about Stargate SG-1 ruining the chances for a Stargate movie sequel...um like that was going to happen! Dukes of Hazard truests attacked the new movie as well as well as Charlies Angels what ever...

great cliffhanger and I was surprised the show was over. time slipped by...
  • True Civil War

This episode really proved to us what we are dealing with here. First of all there was the score, the show has always had a very energizing score, but this time was different. The music had just as much a part in this downhill journey as the actors did. The episode started in pure panic as an unknown ship came into to driadus range, went to joy as the Pegasus was reveled, and into utter confusion as the beginning of an all out civil war began. Secondly, Gaius Baltar. He has truly embraced his destiny in this episode. Till January!!!
  • So there's more survivors...

This show is genious, every episode is filled with greatnes, and this ep is no exeption. Allthough I hate the midseason system, I must admit that for a season finale thisone had just enough cliffhangers. I'm desperately looking foreward til January, so we get to see whats to become of Pegasus.

There were a rape sceene in this episode, and that was truly painful to watch. I love the grayzone that Boomer makes by beeing wounerable as a human, but still she conducts the cylon missions. So we sympathise with her, but after all shes a cylon. Gayuses struggle between his love for six and his loyalty to humanity is also a nice touch. It started out as a black and white goodguys/ badguys series, but now I'm sensing some shades of gray. (well, I have done THAT for a while now). Well done showmakers :)
  • Creepy and interesting

After being on the run and not rested Galactica stumbles upon another Battlestar. This is the greatest news the fleet has gotten. It is a much needed releif for Galactica, now able to alternate watches and duty times with the Pegasus. Great News for the fleet as well, now under the protection of two mighty capital ships. This could also mean the possiblity of more survivors out there somewhere. Sadly this doesn't last. Anytime a new character is introduced that out ranks the main character, they turns out to be a jerk. This makes sence otherwise you get your main character only better. The Admiral seizes control of the fleet. She also authorizes torture of Boomer. Luckly Helo and Chief come to her rescue, although you could argue they were a little late. This sends the two Battlestars into a giant conflict, resulting in a possible war. Again the series decides to bring in the subject of Cylon rights. This goes to show that Adama is much more humane than Admiral Cain.
  • Just humans...

2 battlestars? That one too much...People always have to fight, and when there's no cylon threat, they fight themselves :) Warning: possible spoilers!
    Admiral Cain...Well, isn't this a name of a first vampire? My guess: she's a cylon. I wonder, how they will sort the situation out? Someone needs to shoot this woman...
  • Differing methods of survival, seen through new eyes, and both found wanting

I said it before, and I’ll say it again: I truly despise this “summer finale” business that the SFC consistently shoves down our collective throats. It forces the producers and writers to segment their season arcs in a way that doesn’t always fit the traditional three-act story structure that those arcs are built around. When the writers force it, it doesn’t work very well; “Stargate: Atlantis” is a good example. This series, however, took the opportunity to touch on the original series (thematically, anyway) while taking advantage of the fact that the first season arcs came to a relative conclusion.

Adama and his crew have gone through some trying times over the past 20+ episodes, and as many detractors have pointed out, some decisions by the command staff have been questionable at best. In particular, Adama has allowed a number of things that would never be overlooked in a traditional military structure. He tries to make the crew a family, and he treats them as such. In the face of extreme adversity, Adama’s flaw is often his compassion.

As I mentioned in my comments for the previous episode, one criticism against the series is the deeply flawed nature of every character. None of them are sterling officers with a sense of protocol; they all have agendas and concerns of their own, and those often get in the way of true unity. But that begs the question: would a strict enforcement of martial authority be any better?

In keeping with the concept of the series in terms of its characterizations, the crew of the Pegasus may be following the chain of command, performing as one would expect during a war, but they are hardly pristine and perfect officers. If anything, that strict and regimented lifestyle, when sustained over time with no prospect of an end in sight, must inevitably have an outlet for the negative energy.

As the episode marched on and the depravity of the Pegasus crew was revealed, I was struck by reports of what ordinary soldiers during the Vietnam conflict had done under vaguely similar circumstances: rape of “enemy” prisoners, for one thing. One could argue that Boomer is treated a bit too well, and that Tyrol and Helo are being played, but simply from the point of view of Boomer’s pregnancy and the opportunity to understand the Cylon agenda, it makes sense for them to keep her in good condition. The treatment of Six on Pegasus only reinforces what the Cylons think of humans.

As Ron Moore says on his podcast for the episode, the worst part is that Admiral Cain (played by the very hot Michelle Forbes) is right about Adama’s shortcomings. Of course, that doesn’t make her own methods any better, and it doesn’t give her the right to execute people without a fair hearing. Cain also fails to take into consideration all the things that Adama accomplished; first and foremost, he kept the majority of survivors alive despite issues with the civilian president and an assassination attempt. Cain has actually killed survivors to keep others in line. It’s a question of keeping the goal in sight, even under extreme circumstances. (Perhaps those justifying the gang rape of prisoners in their reviews might stop to consider what they are championing.)

Were Tyrol and Helo right to defend Boomer as they did? Hard to say, but it’s a testimony to the writers that the audience actually has sympathy for Boomer and Pegasus’ version of Six. At the very least, they were provoked. I can’t imagine what the female crew members on Pegasus thought of the men happily celebrating gang rape. I did note that Cain was dismissive of the President, who is technically in authority over her as well. That ought to be fun to watch in the second half of the story. Whatever the case, this is going to be one hell of a ball of string to unravel come January!
  • One of the finest series on television

Just to add to the other reviewers, this is a perfect example of how Battlestar Galactica has become one of the finest shows doing the rounds.

Having listened to the podcasts accompanying the episodes it's very interesting seeing where Ronald D. Moore is taking the series. Can't wait for the concluding part of this story and we're only half way through the series!!
  • CDR Adama is the classic military hero. (Possible spoilers)

This is another example of a well-written character brought to life by an excellent actor. The way that Adama reliquished command to ADM Cain, with out question or hesitation, shows that, even though he obviously has more experience, he follows the chain of command, no matter how is affects him. Adama would have been an admiral, had he not gotten out of the service for those years (how ever many there were.) It looked like ADM Cain was trying to bait him into a situation that she could use as an excuse to remove him from command (note the looks that they exchanged with Roslin.) EJO proves again to be an excellent actor, showing Adama as a battle-hardened veteran, not wanting to take orders from this \"new kid,\" but honor-bound to follow the chain of command. Kudos to you, EJO.
  • FINALLY an episode with teeth!

An interesting and very exciting episode that finally starts to show how the characters are realistically connected to each other and makes the point that they are a social unit fighting for a common goal. Eventhough the military is in charge there should be a more prominent human point to the fighting!
  • And I thought last season's finale was a cliffhanger. At least then I knew that Adama would pull through. Here, we're left with a true cliffhanger right in the middle of what looks to be an epic space batle. This show rarely disappoints.

While the crew of the Pegasus filled out all expectations of a cookie-cutter crew set to counter the Galactica, the episode did throw a few loops. I knew the Pegasus Cylon was going to be one of a couple characters, I just thought it might have worked better to be a character introduced a couple episodes ago.

Other than that the finale was great. The final shot sets up what's bound to be a great opener next season.
  • A second Battlestar...a large Cylon fleet...and an Admiral who runs a ship that is a tad to tight

This episode alone stands as an example as to why I watch this show. It was well written, with exciting pacing. I was rivited to my tv for the entire episode. It was a great lead in to the mid-season break. And to see Michelle Forbes back on TV was great as well. There is nothing about this episode that I can find fault with. It shows the two vastly different schools of thought when it comes to the treatment of prisoners.

The vast difference in treatment was astounding. From the beatings and violations of the Cylon (who is a copy of Baltar's companion), and how those on the Galactica treat Sharon. It was a great way to end the mid-season, and I know I will be counting the hours and days until its return.
  • Wow, what can i say its just perfect to set up the finale of the series.

Just a simply amazing episode. You could tell as soon as the crew from the Pegasus entered Galatica that they where different, battle hardened!

But the events that unfolded where amazing. The pegasus crew, like there commanding officer are battle hardened and act accordingly. They have come in taken command and had no disregard for Adama or his wishes. Commander Cain is like the perfect soldier who totally believes in the cause no matter what the consequences! The court marshal quick and brutal with the obvious result. The officers did wrong and will be punished. No if's buts or maybes, no chance for them to explain, just following orders and the execution to be instant.

What she didn't count on was the reluctence of Commander Adama to give up his crew so easily. Which sets up an agonising wait to see how the events unfold. Will the Pegasus fighters actually fire on the Galactica? Or will sense pre-vail and avoid the unnecsary slaughter and waste of the few remaining figthers which have so valianetly defended Galactica so far.

Its a tough call but i feel sense will pre-vail and eventually they will combine forces to combat this new Cylon threat.
1 2 3