Battlestar Galactica

Pegasus

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

Episode Fan Reviews page 3 of 3

• Do robots dream of electric sheep? The root of the story is how do you treat your enemies. Is it ok to kill them on the battlefield, but not ok to rape and torture them in private? Are those who commit war crimes our friends? To be continued...

Let's just get the obvious out of the way. Rape is bad. Depictions of rape are bad. However, this show put up a disclaimer just before the scence to be sure the kiddies are out of the room. If you are going to have to insert a rape storyline, then the least you can do is warn people. This show did that.

The arrival of the Pegasus has been expected by anyone who knew anything about the original series. Michelle Forbes (of Star Trek:TNG and 24) is "Admiral" Cain. Obviously the two crews were going to butt heads. Who knew they were going to play the Pegasus as a band of loonatics and power freaks?

This all escalates to a killing and an instant court martial. Apparently on the Pegausus, the accused are to sentenced, tried, and hanged.

This show is looking for a new arc right now. This may be the beginning of it. If so, let the good times roll.
  • Another battlestar is found! A blessing for the ragtag fleet? Or a new way to hell?

Such a nice way to link the old and the new BSGs, even with the cliffhanger at the end.
    But don’t get me wrong: it works perfectly within this new show. If you never watched the 70s BSG, the only thing that you’ll be missing is the similarities I will mention, but the episode works on its own.

In short: while fleeing from the Cylons, Galactica comes across the unimaginable: another battlestar survived, the Pegasus, commanded by Admiral Cain. A Commander Cain was Pegasus’ commander in the 70s. Both Cains share some traits: they’re hawks, while Adama is a dove (well, not so much in this new version). Both Cains take advantage of Adama’s trust (I will not interfere in your command, Adama, says the new Cain; next thing, she’s unifying crews, transferring even Adama’s son to Pegasus, judging two crew members from the Galactica summarily on the Pegasus: did she expect Bill to accept that kind of treatment?).

But there are differences: our new Cain is an Admiral; and it’s a she, the third sex change in the new series (will there be a female-to-male switch? I guess not, after all I remember only three female characters in the old BSG, Adama’s daughter Athena, the socialator-turned-nurse Cassiopeia and Sheba, Commander Cain’s daughter. Well, we could always have Admiral Cain’s son fall for Starbuck ;-)
    Anyway, the new tension between Cain and Adama is not sexual, it’s rank-related. Though Adama says he can take orders (he tells the President something like I’ve been taking orders during my entire career), it takes little to push him to and over the brink of mutiny. Because at the end of the episode Adama order one of his Raptors to board to recover two of his men (I want my men back).

Questions I had while watching this episode:
    -how did Pegasus’ fighters survive in combat against Cylons? One of them sported the silhouettes of over 40 Cylon Raiders, which should be impossible, since they’re newer fighters, therefore susceptible to Cylon hacking.
    -I had thought Baltar might be insane, but now I think he’s plain stupid. Let’s see, we find a new copy of Number Six, kept prisoner in the Pegasus. He gets to interrogate her. He’s going to use the carrot, since Cain’s people have already used the stick (beaten her almost to death, and there are allusions the crew might have gang-raped her). OK up to here. But... he confesses to her his whole adventure with another Six on Caprica. Can’t this man keep his mouth shut? He’s in an interrogation cell, which is surely bugged!
    -when saluting a female officer, shouldn’t you say “yes ma’am” (well, in this case “aye ma’am”, she’s an Admiral)? That’s the impression I had gotten watching JAG anyway.
    -we’ve gone up from beating and torturing Cylons for information to raping them (and not really for information, after just a couple of questions). And almost as disturbing as the frustrated rape scene (which ends with the rapist from Pegasus dead) is, I found the scene where those crewmembers from Pegasus were boasting of how they had “enjoyed” their own Cylon.
    -Cain was not going to accept orders from a civilian President before Adama’s rebellion. Which side will Roslyn take now?
    -In the OS, Cain finally came around to Adama’s point of view, apparently sacrificing Pegasus to protect “the ragtag fleet”. Would our new Cain take this step? I frankly don’t think so. (A nice twist would be an idea that many fanfic writers have used: Pegasus beats the odds in a three to one battle, is thought to be destroyed but only gets heavily damaged, and later rejoins the fleet, apparently a plot element that would have been used in the second season of BSG that never came to be.)

Pity we’ll have to wait a few months to get the end to this two-parter. That’s the only reason I didn’t give it a 10
  • This episode was just plain awesome. Atlhough I have to say I haven\\\'t seen a single one that didn\\\'t end with some incredible events!

I\\\'m surprised that no one (from what I\\\'ve read) has mentioned the amusing name of the admiral cain. It\\\'s interesting that they would choose that name, due to the award winning book \\\"The Caine Mutiny\\\". Spelled a bit differently, it\\\'s a very similar idea - mutiny of a ship based on morales, but everything that the crew disagreed with was actually run by the books some way or another.

Very well written, and an incredible sort-of-finale for the part season!
  • Black becomes white. White becomes black. There's a whole lot of grey in this sort-of finale.

It's clear television writers like to turn the world of their characters upside down, and none more so than in Battlestar Galactica. Initially, the show was more or less just about a fleet of survivors fleeing for their lives from the Cylons.

That was all well and good. But the Cylon threat wasn't enough for good entertainment value. Sure they're imposing, but apart from a few models that look (and even feel) exactly like humans, it's hard to put a face on them. So Season 2, so far at least, has been much less about defence against the Cylons, and much more about internal conflicts. I'm not talking about the 'Sir, I don't think that's a good idea' conflicts that sent Star Trek Enterprise to an early grave. I'm talking insults and fistfights, treason and mutiny. It took seven episodes for the fleet to become a happy(ish) family once again after the chaos of the Season 1 Finale. I didn't think there was any way for the Season 2 Finale to be better. But it was, because the world got turned upside down. Suddenly, it's humans who are being portrayed as vicious and evil, and the Cylons as helpless victims. It's a strange time, to be sure, to be sure...

And so in this, the midseason finale (what a strange term, I've never encountered it before, and don't ever expect such a phrase to be used on British TV), the fleet come across another surviving Battlestar, the Pegasus. At first, it's all jubilation and welcome, but things soon become unnerving. Firstly, the Pegasus' leader is an Admiral, and outranks Commander Adama. So our trusted military leader of the last two seasons is no longer in charge, despite his closeness with the President, simply because of military protocol. Added to this, we discover that Admiral Cain (Michelle Forbes from Star Trek:TNG and 24) is a bit of a hardass bitch, and is keen to shake up the structure of the Galactica because she deems the crew to be inefficient from previous mistakes and failures and yes, mutiny. To be honest, she has a very good point, but the viewer is blinded by the affection we've developed for the Galactica crew.

That's the unnerving part, I wasn't really ready for the disturbing part. Like the Galactica crew, the Pegasus also has a Cylon prisoner aboard. If you'd thought Galactica's Cylon had been treated badly, you'd be wrong. The Pegasus is proof. The prisoner, who turns out to be a copy of the femme fatale that lingers in Dr. Baltar's mind, has been beaten and raped almost to death. The Cylons have killed billions of humans, and yet the humans are the only ones who seem to be showing enjoyment in their malice. Random Pegasus officers make jokes about having a little bit of 'Oh yeah, oh yeah' with the prisoner, and even Cally shows disgust. The same Cally who once shot a Cylon in cold blood just because she was a machine. Worse still, Nasty Interrogation Man decides to 'question' the Galactica's prisoner Sharon, a character we've already been made to feel at least some sympathy for. Question is the wrong word. He does nothing of the sort. After beating her senseless, he's just about ready to rape her (and has possibly even started) when Helo and Tyrol intervene. But even they aren't saints. Whether by accident or intent, Tyrol kills the interrogator. The pair are put on trial by Admiral Cain, and it is swiftly decided that they should be executed. The episode ends with Adama deciding that it's time for him to take a turn at the whole mutiny thing.

What an amazing way to end the season. I never expected things could get so heated in just one episode. It's obviously not the first TV series to try to make good of the bad guys and vice versa (new Doctor Who did it with a Dalek), but it's the most effective I've seen. What made the torture scene so much better was that it was followed by Dr. Baltar giving food to the Pegasus' Cylon, and telling her he would take care of her, before crying over her horrific condition. The line between what separates the humans and the Cylons has become even more blurred, to the point that I find it difficult to have less sympathy for a Cylon than for a human. Bravo to the writers, for daring to write about such a difficult topic, and kudos for pulling it off to make the best episode of Battlestar Galactica so far, and the best finale in a long while. I know, I know, it wasn't technically a finale, but what am I supposed to say? The next episode, and the conclusion to the Galactica/Pegasus showdown, won't be for at least three months. Sob.
  • What TV should look like.

I am a big fan of the last series. My favorite episode happens to be the re-uniting of the Pegasus with the Galatica. I liked how they merged the two fleets togther in the old series.

So far I must say I have not been let done by the new series. The plots are invitingly new with that hint of the old series. The new Pegasus really rocks he boat. The pitting of the two ships is essential to pull off the parallel story line. I like how the different twist has made it even more exciting.

I wait with baited breath till January for the next installement of one of the best shows on TV.
  • I should give this a 0.5...

For making us wait until JANUARY to see the end of this thrilling episode.

It turns out the Galactica wasn't the only Battlestar to have survived the Cylon attack. The Pegasus, commanded by Admiral Cain (an interesting Biblical reference to be sure), and her crew of what can only be described as a bunch of priates. Frankly, any time where Baltar is the friendly, sane guy, Helo and Tyrol are the males thinking the least with their little heads, and Tigh comes off as a comparatively good XO means something is amiss.

After everyone's met their counterparts, we find that Pegasus has their own Cylon prisoner, a badly-beaten Six. We are also regaled with tales from the Pegasus deck crew of her physical and sexual abuse, which is even enough to sicken Cally, who murdered a Cylon only a couple episodes ago. Most of the abuse comes from the hands of an interrogator, who soon goes to "interrogate" our very own Boomer. This scene, along with the Pegasus crew telling of their own tales of gang-raping their prisoner, makes this possibly the hardest Galactica to watch. But it's also the reason why it's the best show on television.
  • can this show get any better

well i have to say that was the best episode ive seen so far had me on the edge of my seat from beggining to end

im loving that theres another battlestar but hating the fact that adama as been out ranked
    (no way that will last long)
    i thought having a new battlestar would have brought the colany closer and would have given them more hope but i was dead wrong because were as the galactica have been doing as they plz (to an extent) the pegasus as been under strick orders so when they came together all hell broke loose and that was only the tip of the iceburg

was a great scene were Helo and Tyrol burst in to sharons holding cell and killed that Cylon interrogator cos as soon as he hit sharon i wanted to hit him my self lol...it was that intense
    it then got better when they werent given a fair trail for the murder and were sentenced to death which really peed of adama so he sent out vipers and a rescue team which then peed of the Admiral Cain who also sent out vipers
    it then ended and i was laying on the floor in tears knowing i had to wait till 2006 to c the next episode lol
  • Galactica encounters the Battlestar Pegasus and it’s commander Admiral Nelena Cain.

Painful, Nerve-wracking, well written, not my favorite story line. All these could be used as this episode's classification.

This episode takes part it’s action from the notorious incident at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. The Pegasus and it’s crew dehumanized the Cylons despite their human appearance. This made it “okay” for Thorne, the “Cylon interrogator”, to brutalize and sexually assault Cylon prisoners. This dehumanizing would seem very logical. Cylons are machines aren’t they? The problem to the Galactica crew is that Sharon was a crewmate and they see “her” as an enemy have not a thing. This humanization results in their (and our) revulsion at the interrogation technique used by the Pegasus’ Cylon interrogator.

Admiral Cain use of summary judgment to convict Helo and Tyrol makes the story of her shooting the Pegasus XO for disobeying an order believable. For the uninitiated actions such as Cain’s, while expedient, are considered crimes despite the war zone status. The same is true for the brutal and dehumanizing treatment of prisoners in Iraq.

I gave this episode top marks despite it’s content. The script was well crafted and acting made the script almost too believable.
  • Galactica finds another Battlestar (Pegasus), that survived the initial attack. It's commander (Admiral Cain), takes fleet command, promises little changes, but fails to deliver, and chaos ensues, classic.......

Even though this episode was disturbing to me, I'm sure it was the writer's intent. Cain (and Pegasus) arrives on the scene with much fanfare, but the honeymoon quicly ends as Adama and Cain disagree on pretty much everything! The mutiny that ensues will keep me chatting w/my Sci-Fi groupies till the conclusion in Jan..... A+
  • An extremely intense and powerful episode. The entire Galactica world is turned upside down as Admiral Cain and the Pegasus take over. Questions arise about the morality of the Pegasus crew, from the brutal Cylon interrogator to the leader, Admiral Cain.

Wow! Talk about hard-hitting episodes. I feel like I got punched in the gut. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but it almost feels like I was in a fight after watching this episode.

This was one of the best episodes of the entire series while it further declares that this show is NOT FOR KIDS. Galactica encounters another battlestar, the more modern Pegasus, and its commanding officer, Admiral Cain. After the initial euphoria wears off, Adama and the Galactica crew begin to bristle under the increasingly dominant role that Cain and the Pegasus play in their lives.

Though Cain treads lightly at first, she begins to enforce the chain of command, which finds her at the top. She transfers Starbuck and Apollo to the Pegasus where Apollo becomes a Raptor crew member. Though Baltar is brought to Pegasus to examine their Cylon captive, Lt. Thorne boards Galactica to interrogate Sharon.

Thorne is known as the "Cylon interrogator." His men boast about his techniques, which include sexual assault. Helo and Tyrol listen as the Pegasus crewmen boast about having "taken their turns" with their captured Cylon prisoner, a brutalized and mentally broken copy of Number Six. Cally, who had killed the first Sharon, cannot bear to listen and walks out.

Meanwhile we see Lt. Thorne beginning his "interrogation" of Sharon. It begins with several slaps with the back of his hand and continues with punches. This was difficult to watch and roiled my stomach more than any roller coaster could. It was a truly disturbing scene and not for the faint of heart. The abuse and the ribald boasting of the Pegasus crewmen really helped one to feel the sense of helplessness experienced not only by Sharon but also by Helo and Tyrol.

Despite the antagonism between Helo and Tyrol over Sharon, they both realize that the remaining Sharon is in danger. They race to stop Thorne as he prepares to break Sharon using his "special technique." SciFi showed an advisory before airing this scene. The advisory was necessary as this was an intense scene involving the physical and attempted sexual abuse of a female character, whether or not she was a Cylon. Helo and Tyrol attack Thorne and the guard. In the melee, Thorne is killed.

Cain has the two men transported to Pegasus for court-martial proceedings, despite Adama's protestations. Cally pleads with Adama and vouches for Tyrol's character. Adama agrees that he is a good man. Once Adama learns that both men have been found guilty almost immediately and sentenced to be executed, he decides to take action. The outcome of the conflict is not shown. Rather, it is "TO BE CONTINUED."

Tigh, who has flaws of his own, may have learned about a shocking skeleton in Cain's closet. The single-minded focus and violent approach that Pegasus has taken in the struggle against the Cylons may come from the top, from Admiral Cain. Tigh's failings are mere foibles in comparison with Cain's. Has she violated the same moral law that the biblical Cain did?

The episodes this season have continued to throw the Galactica and the fleet into turmoil. Early in the season, we saw the division of the crew and the fleet as Apollo and Zarek followed Roslin to Kobol. Now we see the growing dominance of Cain and the Pegasus crew over Adama and Galactica's forces. Producers Moore and Eick refuse to let us settle in and get comfortable with our surroundings on Battlestar Galactica. It feels less like a weekly serialized drama and more like a messy, random group of events that affect realistic and believable characters. Some of these events can be extraordinarily harsh and brutal, as in the case of Lt. Thorne and his actions. What remains consistent is the twisting, organic nature of the storyline, which doesn't seem to follow a predetermined path. An extraordinary episode, even if it's tough to watch.

[NOTE: Viewers uncomfortable with scenes of violence against women and with realistic depictions of attempted sexual assault should be aware of the intense nature of a key scene in this episode.]
  • They did it again...

Wow! what can i say?another great cliffhanger.I was looking foward for this episode and i did not got dissapointed at all.It was great to see the Pegasus again after all this years a little different of course i was skeptical about Michelle Forbes but she did her best as Admiral Cain i was hopping they use Dirk Bennedict for this role but she pulled it off.Great acting by everyone but the priceless moment for me was Adama expression when he found out about Helo and tyrol "trial" and when he took the desition to launch the vipers this is as mad as i seen him on the background the attack on the Cylon fleet and this new mistery ship.It its just me or all the Pegasus crew are jerks.and the cliffhanger i never ever thought there were the posibility of a Pegasus vs Galactica confrontation great writing!!!
1 2 3 >