Battlestar Galactica

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

• A disgusting travesty of television, I'm amazed it ever got past the censors.

I found this episode disgusting and disgraceful. Even the suggestion of such horrific acts being carried out on sentient beings goes far beyond the necessary. I was plainly horrified when I saw number six lying on the brig floor covered in bruises and cuts, and to top it off the attempted rape of Boomer. I am very glad that the scene was interrupted before anything major happened, that for me is this episodes only saving grace.
    These things happen in real life, to real people, imagine the impact this episode would have had on one such person.
  • Rape, torture, bondage and then rape-interrogation. This has ruined this series for me.

Everything was going well with this episode, but the whole rape thing ruined it for me. I was rather shocked and disgusted. I don't think I can watch the show anymore. I assume there was some kind of point they were trying to make, but I was too disgusted to notice. Although the character "six" is supposed to be an android, for all intents and purposes she was human and had been subjected to brutality and totures that would be inflited upon humans. Add to that the rape interrogation of boomer, and you have an episode that crossed the line for this series. I don't think I'll be able to watch again, the whole thing turned my stomach.

What is worse is that there are injustices like this going on in the real world today.
  • I really wanted to like this episode: the original ‘Living Legend” is definitely one of my favorite BSG 1978 episodes. But as I watched Pegasus, all I could think of is how well this episode served to highlight the shortcomings of this new BSG

(PLEASE NOTE: this is a critique of the episode Pegasus. It is spoiler heavy and assumes the reader has already seen the show. Do not expect a recap of the events is this episode: this is a review of those events, not a retelling.)

First of all, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the writers have NO IDEA how a military organization is supposed to function. As viewers we are routinely asked to sympathize with generally undisciplined, insubordinate characters, and sometimes even open mutineers. So now, in order to make the Pegasus crew look like bad guys, they have to be completely over the top callous, evil bastards. They actually had to stage an attempted rape scene to get the audience to sympathize with the protagonists. Starbuck even acts like the crew of Pegasus are stupid for tracking kills, as if (A) that weren’t a common military practice and (B) doing something in a way different than herself is somehow stupid and pointless. Adama tells his pilots that they are officers and should act like it. But they immediately respond by disrespecting their new CAG and then planning to steal a military ship for an unauthorized recon mission just because they don’t like the guys in charge. And we are supposed to think they are doing the right thing? Why should I sympathize with people who have absolutely no regard for anything other than their own desires and opinions. What’s more, why do the writers continually act as if this streak of insubordination and the total lack of discipline on Galactica are somehow commendable. If Cain is going to strictly enforce the regs, and make use of her ‘broad authority’ why doesn’t Roslin point out that even though Colonial Naval regulations make Cain the commanding uniformed officer, the Articles of Colonization make Roslin the President (and presumably Commander-in-Chief). Cain might not accept it, and she definitely has the biggest stick, but that inability to accept Roslin’s authority is a perfect reason for Adama to resist Cain’s command. Speaking of this, we come to Adama’s rebellion at the end of the episode. First of all, why should we support his decision to mutiny against his acknowledged superior officer because he doesn’t like her command style (yes, it sucks that his two officers will be executed, and he should tell her that even if they did mutiny, they are too valuable to simply execute). But what’s more, he launches fighers against a technologically and numerically superior force knowing full well that the Pegasus has plenty of time to see and respond to the attack. How does he expect to win?

Personally, I would have used the military/civilian government struggle at a method of sparking conflict between Galactica and Pegasus. If Cain had refused to acknowledge Roslin’s authority and attempted a military coup, it would have been easy to believe Adama would move against Cain in support of Roslin, the legitmate President. But since Adama himself started a coup last season, the writers couldn’t do that. (Of course, since that coup had absolutely no long term consequences, they might as well have had another one).
    But I suppose this is all moot, since I suspect the Cylons will show up just before open civil war starts and both ships will have to join forces to fight the real enemy.

And some general plot holes/unanswered questions:

-Both Battlestars launch their ‘alert fighters’ at the end of the episode, but we clearly see that some 60 fighters launch from Pegasus and Galactica must have launched damn near all of it’s 40 fighters. I find it hard to believe that all 40 fighters and pilots are on alert at all times.

-How did Pegasus manage to avoid the cylons Colonial Ship disabling beam during the initial assault and their subsequent encounters? And if the Pegasus did discover the faulty coding in the Baltar’s navigation system, how did they do so? -How did Pegasus discover than cylons look like humans? How did they capture 6?

-Why do we not see any female crew members from Pegasus? And why is Pegasus’s deck chief the only sympathetic character from the entire ship (is he going to be the adoptee who stays with galactica after Pegasus disappears)?
  • The Galactica finds Pegasus, and a battle for control breaks out.

Come on people! There are what, some 40,000 humans left alive. Maybe more, and they are gonna go out and kill 2 for protecting a prisoner. Not only that, but then they are gonna have a huge war? Why dont they just set off nukes and do the Cylons jobs for them!
  • Its hard for sci-fiction, or rather, any sort of television series that relies on false realities (such as fantasy) to break through into what is compassionately human.

A episode truly beyond itself. There are fewer things on television that allow themselves to exist without limitations, to be all they can be. A parallel is, though a different genre: Family Guy. The show exists today not because it was trying to fit into the bubble of comfort that so many find to be the nature of telivision. However, it, like BattleStar Galactica pushes forward and lives on in a state of realistic boundaries. I may mention that many shows tackle these things, rape, torture, but to find a way to create a world, or realm that can be both far-fetched and realistic... that is truly the pleasure of proper writing.

I don't deny that many undertones in the series are somewhat horrifying, however, I merely suggest that word as a means. What it is about this episode that I find most striking is the humanity involved. The issue of the rape is, to me, a horrible thing to watch... as it is meant to be. Yet the fact that it is at the core fake certainly lightens the blow. I am impresesd that a show is able to investigate, and provoke in a manner that is entirely touching, that you can't help but hurt for the characters... well that just shows progress. Human Cruelity is a current that runs through the veins of this show, yes, and this certainly is meant to open eyes wider, to escape from the fantasies involved. To make it real...

I would suggest that for those that have gone through experiences of rape, that they would not want their stories excused, and absolutely that they would never want to re-live them... but at the very least they would not want a reinactment to be softened, to make it any less terrible. If only to ensure that people understand that it IS so terrible. On many levels, though not in the least... it is acheived here.
  • Pivotal plot developments, great tension between the macho sadistic behavior of the Pegasus crew and the more humane Galactica crew. However, the Adama and McDonnell's acting leaves much to be desired, and the camera lingers too long affecting the pacing

The old, clunk Galactica has found another battlestar ship, the Pegasus. I thought the plot situations were good, especially the way Admiral Kane pointed out the lack of expected military discipline aboard the Galactica. It's to be expected, these officers were the rag-tag misfits who never quite got the whole obedience factor of a military heirarchy, assigned to a soon-to-be declassified battlestar. The tension between the macho bordering on sadistic attitude of the Pegasus officers and the more humane Galactica crew were well done. My heart was beating in my chest when Helo and Chief were running to prevent the attempted rape of the Cylon Boomer. It seems a bit unbelievable that the guards wouldn't immediately shoot Helo and Chief as they were beating the interrogator mercilessly, but oh well, it led to the inevitable break of Galactica from Pegasus command.

My major qualm with this episode, however, was with the acting and directing. Specifically with the morose mumblings of Adama, except near the end, and the questionable acting chops of McDonnell as the President. Admiral Kane was appropriately stiff, proud, and commandeering however, and the flight officers and Baltar are well-cast. In addition, the pacing of the episode feels off, as the camera lingers too much on one scene, instead of efficiently cutting to the next. There was one or two times that I felt, let's get on with the story, especially with such a juicy plot as this. I have to blame the director and editor, for not demanding the right acting from the actors, and for their lazy editing. If the episode was tighter and better acted, I would give it a higher score.
  • Another good episode although I wish this time we had more resolution

This was another good episode and a big pick up from the somewhat lacking Lucy Lawless/reporter ep. I am a little annoyed that we haven't heard anything about Boomers baby. This kid is supposed to be integral to the Cylons plan and yet we haven't heard anything about it since it was born. I also wish that there had been a bit more resolution. With the season one finale I felt it was an appropriate cliffhanger but this one left me hanging a bit too much.

To the folks who have complained about the attempted rape scene I have to agree that it was hard to watch. However, that's intentional. Battlestar Galactica is not supposed to be one of the kinds of shows which we are always comfortable watching. On one level I think this is a not too subtle comment on the practices of the US military today. However, it is also an indicator of how far out of bounds Admiral Cain has slipped. She has put a sadist in charge of interrogation. Even if one were to accept the efficacy of torture there are other methods to conduct it other than rape. The fact that this was the method chosen by the interrogator indicates that he is more concerned with satisfying his own urges than with obtaining reliable information (indeed his methods have rendered the valuable captive Six catatonic). It's also a good way to get Helo and the Chief involved in a violent confrontation. If this guy were doing what would probably be standard fleet practice of aggressive questioning they probably would never have interuppted. But the extreme nature of his sadistic torturing led them to fly in like the cavalry and led to the confrontation between Galactica and Pegasus.
  • And I thought last season's finale was a cliffhanger. At least then I knew that Adama would pull through. Here, we're left with a true cliffhanger right in the middle of what looks to be an epic space batle. This show rarely disappoints.

While the crew of the Pegasus filled out all expectations of a cookie-cutter crew set to counter the Galactica, the episode did throw a few loops. I knew the Pegasus Cylon was going to be one of a couple characters, I just thought it might have worked better to be a character introduced a couple episodes ago.

Other than that the finale was great. The final shot sets up what's bound to be a great opener next season.
  • Do robots dream of electric sheep? The root of the story is how do you treat your enemies. Is it ok to kill them on the battlefield, but not ok to rape and torture them in private? Are those who commit war crimes our friends? To be continued...

Let's just get the obvious out of the way. Rape is bad. Depictions of rape are bad. However, this show put up a disclaimer just before the scence to be sure the kiddies are out of the room. If you are going to have to insert a rape storyline, then the least you can do is warn people. This show did that.

The arrival of the Pegasus has been expected by anyone who knew anything about the original series. Michelle Forbes (of Star Trek:TNG and 24) is "Admiral" Cain. Obviously the two crews were going to butt heads. Who knew they were going to play the Pegasus as a band of loonatics and power freaks?

This all escalates to a killing and an instant court martial. Apparently on the Pegausus, the accused are to sentenced, tried, and hanged.

This show is looking for a new arc right now. This may be the beginning of it. If so, let the good times roll.
  • Great cliffhanger episode.

This episode of battlestar is exactly why I watch the series. Adama showed a new side on himself when he turned over his leadership to the evil female captain and again when he ordered his vipers to strike agains the other ship. I can't wait until January when the conclusion will be shown. This show also brought up questions about the treatment of human-cyclons with the cyclon-interrigator from the other ship. Although I'm no cylon lover I was very pleased when they killed him. The humans will have to set some kind of rules regarding this issue since they will more likely then not be facing this problem again.
  • Like a dream.

During my first watch-thru this episode felt really rushed and I was surprised(and a little pissed) that they wouldn't be taking more time with what was one of the biggest plot developments in the series. But after thinking about it and rewatching some of it, I have to say that it was a brilliant choice. I almost felt helpless as these shocking and horrifying scenes keep coming one after another. With no chance to process or come to terms with what I'm seeing, I'm left feeling off balance and every scene after has that much more impact. In times of distress you always just want a few extra seconds to try and understand what's happening, by not giving the viewer that the drama and suspense were increased ten fold.

The chaos started not long after the arrival of the Pegasus, with Adama losing command of the fleet to Admiral Cain. Again there was no break as their scene was interspersed with Tigh and his Pegasus counterpart's scene, wherein he layed out the fate of the Pegasus' last XO. Fisk laughing it off as a joke only made it that much more disturbing.

Baltar's scenes with the Cylon prisoner aboard Pegasus were also brilliantly done. I loved how Six's eyes stayed on Thorn with a look of pure hatred as she's almost bristling with rage and contempt over her copy's treatment. I thought Baltar's description of his relationship with Six made for a heartbreakingly beautiful moment. And I'll just say it once now but it applies to the whole episode, the music was brilliant, like more so than usual.

The scenes during and leading up to Thorn's attempted "interrogation" of Sharon definitely had my ass closer to the end of my couch than any before them. With the Pegasus crew being so cavalier in discussing having their way with the captured Six, and their plans to do the same to Sharon once Thorn finished with her, I almost felt sick as the shots of Sharon being held down started. Honestly, this show has never come close to eliciting that much reaction from me. As much as I love Chief's character(Helo I'm still lukewarm on), no matter what happens to him my only regret will be that it was his first blow that killed Thorn and that Chief didn't get to beat him to death slowly.

The final moments came close to rivaling the suspense of the scenes that spawned them. I loved the cold blue lighting of the Pegasus' CIC to contrast with the warm, red interior of the Galactica as Adama and Cain squared off. I swear Cain's line, "Commander, why are you launching vipers?" gave me chills, her delivery was so perfectly authoritative and almost malevolent, especially on the word "commander." I know it's a small thing but I rewound it like three times it was so good.

I can't decide yet if this beat out Kobol's Last Gleaming Pt. 2 as my favorite episode, but it's definitely close.
  • Silence of the gun

We might sneer and point and the admiral who comes out of the woodwork. We might point at this person and claim that we are better then this, that we are the true measure of command. But this episode and the ones following clearly show that there is a fine line between being a military genius and a looning fruitcake. Until we get there we do now know what we will be. The silence of the gun is only quiet and peaceful at the surface, but it deepens the abyss that follows. So how do each of us react when behind us is death and annihilation? Are we noble or will we move standards? Season 1 cleary showed how Adama had to move the bar more then once. Perhaps he only got lucky, but this episode clearly leaves the bitter taste behind that 'no choie' is a reality, and that what makes this series so amazing.
    war is plain, simple and always dirty. That message comes clearly across.
  • A very hard episode to watch, but still gripping.

Like many BSG episodes, this one was very hard on the viewer. In the case of this episode, the themes of sexual assault-both of the Pegaus Six and Sharon-created some very disturbing imagery. The almost rape of Boomer is one of the most horrific scenes Galactica has yet presented.
    Still, the episode is worth watching. We get some great contrast between the crew of the Galactica and the crew of the Pegasus-particularly the conflicting command styles of Adama and Cain. This episode also explores the theme of the dehumanizing effect crisis and war has on people. The crew of the Pegasus has become almost as inhuman as the Cyclons-perhaps even worse, if you take into account the sadistic joy the Pegasus crew takes in their cruelety, vs. the cold, "robotic" attitude of most Cylons. And Adama gets to show his cool side!

All in all, a disturbing but gripping season ender.
  • Caught between the ruthlessly of the cylons and an admiral Cain drunk with power, Adama and his crew have yet once again to fight for the preservation of their human and moral qualities.

What happens when you strip people of common sense, when you lose all perspective, hope and empathy, and the only thing you have left is to blindly follow orders, to accept authority without questions asks? You get dehumanized.
    In ‘Pegasus’ we are shown an alternate vision of how the battlestar could have been run. After the initial euphoria, the mood quickly becomes grim and oppressive. The relief of finding another battlestar who survived the cylons attack, quickly turns into a clash between the characters Cain and Adama and their respective crews. Cain is right about Adama, his empathy could be perceived as a flaw, were it not that this is exactly what distincts humans from the cylons. Although the cylons built the 12 models as closely human possible by incorporating emo-software, they will never be able to grasp the aspect of empathy and caring.

Sharon for exemple, when asked of she’s in love with Helo, answers “you’re the father of my child, you’re are the first in my heart”. She is capable of feelings of love, but not of love itself. Furthermore she can’t comprehend the complexity of the feelings brought on by her formal model with chief Tyrol. The dynamics of such love triangular are very interesting to watch, for it is in their inner nature that we see how the crew and more specific Helo and Tyrol cope with different situations. Sharon, although an I.A. is not reduced to an object, a thing, but is act upon as a being distinctly different from humans. The crew on the Pegasus have lost that distinction and in that, their humanity.

• Excellent Cliffhanger. Waiting for next episode

This is an awesome episode where I'm just left guessing whats going to happen. The cliffhanger at the end, with the two battlestars attacking each other is epic.

I'm dying to see the next episode, and wish it would be released!!!!!!!!!!

(and hoping so much that its not coming out in jan 2006)
  • WOW!!!!

Another great episode. I felt that Admiral Cain was way over the edge. You can even look at her crew and see fear from them when she gives the order to attack the Galactica. The Chief still loves Sharon or at least still cares for her, which really showed when he and Helo stopped the officer from attacking Sharon. Apollo and Starbuck being sent to the Pegagus was a joke. Like they are going to follow orders any better over there. Starbuck left to go get the new stealth viper to do her own recon.

• Creepy and interesting

After being on the run and not rested Galactica stumbles upon another Battlestar. This is the greatest news the fleet has gotten. It is a much needed releif for Galactica, now able to alternate watches and duty times with the Pegasus. Great News for the fleet as well, now under the protection of two mighty capital ships. This could also mean the possiblity of more survivors out there somewhere. Sadly this doesn't last. Anytime a new character is introduced that out ranks the main character, they turns out to be a jerk. This makes sence otherwise you get your main character only better. The Admiral seizes control of the fleet. She also authorizes torture of Boomer. Luckly Helo and Chief come to her rescue, although you could argue they were a little late. This sends the two Battlestars into a giant conflict, resulting in a possible war. Again the series decides to bring in the subject of Cylon rights. This goes to show that Adama is much more humane than Admiral Cain.
  • Differing methods of survival, seen through new eyes, and both found wanting

I said it before, and I’ll say it again: I truly despise this “summer finale” business that the SFC consistently shoves down our collective throats. It forces the producers and writers to segment their season arcs in a way that doesn’t always fit the traditional three-act story structure that those arcs are built around. When the writers force it, it doesn’t work very well; “Stargate: Atlantis” is a good example. This series, however, took the opportunity to touch on the original series (thematically, anyway) while taking advantage of the fact that the first season arcs came to a relative conclusion.

Adama and his crew have gone through some trying times over the past 20+ episodes, and as many detractors have pointed out, some decisions by the command staff have been questionable at best. In particular, Adama has allowed a number of things that would never be overlooked in a traditional military structure. He tries to make the crew a family, and he treats them as such. In the face of extreme adversity, Adama’s flaw is often his compassion.

As I mentioned in my comments for the previous episode, one criticism against the series is the deeply flawed nature of every character. None of them are sterling officers with a sense of protocol; they all have agendas and concerns of their own, and those often get in the way of true unity. But that begs the question: would a strict enforcement of martial authority be any better?

In keeping with the concept of the series in terms of its characterizations, the crew of the Pegasus may be following the chain of command, performing as one would expect during a war, but they are hardly pristine and perfect officers. If anything, that strict and regimented lifestyle, when sustained over time with no prospect of an end in sight, must inevitably have an outlet for the negative energy.

As the episode marched on and the depravity of the Pegasus crew was revealed, I was struck by reports of what ordinary soldiers during the Vietnam conflict had done under vaguely similar circumstances: rape of “enemy” prisoners, for one thing. One could argue that Boomer is treated a bit too well, and that Tyrol and Helo are being played, but simply from the point of view of Boomer’s pregnancy and the opportunity to understand the Cylon agenda, it makes sense for them to keep her in good condition. The treatment of Six on Pegasus only reinforces what the Cylons think of humans.

As Ron Moore says on his podcast for the episode, the worst part is that Admiral Cain (played by the very hot Michelle Forbes) is right about Adama’s shortcomings. Of course, that doesn’t make her own methods any better, and it doesn’t give her the right to execute people without a fair hearing. Cain also fails to take into consideration all the things that Adama accomplished; first and foremost, he kept the majority of survivors alive despite issues with the civilian president and an assassination attempt. Cain has actually killed survivors to keep others in line. It’s a question of keeping the goal in sight, even under extreme circumstances. (Perhaps those justifying the gang rape of prisoners in their reviews might stop to consider what they are championing.)

Were Tyrol and Helo right to defend Boomer as they did? Hard to say, but it’s a testimony to the writers that the audience actually has sympathy for Boomer and Pegasus’ version of Six. At the very least, they were provoked. I can’t imagine what the female crew members on Pegasus thought of the men happily celebrating gang rape. I did note that Cain was dismissive of the President, who is technically in authority over her as well. That ought to be fun to watch in the second half of the story. Whatever the case, this is going to be one hell of a ball of string to unravel come January!
  • can this show get any better

well i have to say that was the best episode ive seen so far had me on the edge of my seat from beggining to end

im loving that theres another battlestar but hating the fact that adama as been out ranked
    (no way that will last long)
    i thought having a new battlestar would have brought the colany closer and would have given them more hope but i was dead wrong because were as the galactica have been doing as they plz (to an extent) the pegasus as been under strick orders so when they came together all hell broke loose and that was only the tip of the iceburg

was a great scene were Helo and Tyrol burst in to sharons holding cell and killed that Cylon interrogator cos as soon as he hit sharon i wanted to hit him my self was that intense
    it then got better when they werent given a fair trail for the murder and were sentenced to death which really peed of adama so he sent out vipers and a rescue team which then peed of the Admiral Cain who also sent out vipers
    it then ended and i was laying on the floor in tears knowing i had to wait till 2006 to c the next episode lol
  • 2 Battlestars in 1 Show. Great Bargain

I was wondering if the this 2003 version would use the Battlestar Pegasus like the old 80’s version. There was so many changes that you cannot even compare the two. First off I really like how different one’s course can be depending on the leader. You can really see how Cain is so much different than Adama. I like detailed and different they rendered each Battlestar, you get to see why Galactica was slated to be decommissioned. As eye candy you get to see a lot of space shots in this episode. The last few minutes was intense. If you like Flight of the Phoenix (last episode) this one is just as good if not better.
  • Another battlestar

Weird, before seeing it I had seen that this episode was at the top list as best episode of this serie and so I had the hopes high and in the end I was really shocked - that should have been better than "Kobol's Last Gleaming"? Ok, leaving it - again, episode full of hope at first. The meet a new battlestar - this means: more firepower, more fighters, more men.. more all. But as they soon realize it has down sides too - they Admiral in charge on Pegasus is hard woman and it soon comes out that they cruelty is part of life in Pegasus. Chief and Helo gets their taste when they try to save Sharon and get accused of murder and end up being found guilty and headed to execution.

I mosty say - much happening and ending was really promising.
  • Major cliffhanger!

This is the first episode that makes you realize you can't live without BSG! We had to wait, like, months for the cliffhanger to play out. If you weren't keeping tabs at you assumed "okay I can't wait to see how this plays out next week"... only to find next week it's a repeat. And then you google for the airdate of part ii and you are like "oh no! The next episode won't be unil next year? Frack!"

A minor plot hole that I don't know if it was ever adequately explained in later episodes. Maybe it was. How did the modern Pegasus avoid the whole Cylon virus attack?
  • One of the finest series on television

Just to add to the other reviewers, this is a perfect example of how Battlestar Galactica has become one of the finest shows doing the rounds.

Having listened to the podcasts accompanying the episodes it's very interesting seeing where Ronald D. Moore is taking the series. Can't wait for the concluding part of this story and we're only half way through the series!!
  • Just an absolute cliffhanger and a half - pulp TV, that actually gets a family debating subjects such as treatment of the enemy.

I hate the Pegasus.

I hate its Admiral, its CAG, its XO, its interrogation chief, its deck chief, its treatment of prisoners.

I can't believe they treat prisoners like that. Just sickening. How do you follow orders from an Admiral who condones such things? Poor Six, poor Sharon.

BUT, this episode was simply majestic.

I'm glad the rape scene wasn't too graphic - it didn't need to be - just seeing Sharon (YES, she's a Cylon, but to me she's still part-human also) beaten followed by her arms pulled in front of her, and then the rapist pulling down his pants was disturbing enough.

I think this episode was about dehumanising your enemy - if you successfully do that, it makes it easier to perform all sorts of atrocities on them.

I cheered when both Helo and the Chief ran to her aid though. :)

There was other important thiongs going on in this episode, but for me, it was the dehumanising of the enemy that was an important subject for me.

• The fleet discovers that another battlestar, the Pegasus, has survived the cylon onslaught. It takes little time, however, for friction between Adama and the Pegasus' commander to bring about a showdown between the fleet's two battlestars.

This is one of the better episodes of an already wonderful series. Once again, the performances are good, and the effects are as impressive as anything currently on television.

I particularly enjoyed the interaction between Adama and Admiral Cain, who outranks him. The writers understand that one of the best ways to explore character is through the introduction of conflict. Through the actions of Cain and other members of the Pegasus crew, it becomes clear that the greatest threat to our heroes may not ultimately come from the cylons, but from other humans.

Overall, this was a very exciting and compelling entry in this series. Not to give anything away, but the episode ends in a way that had me dying to see what happens next.
  • Reviting episode with one the key Bat Star story features appearing....the Pegasus!

I loved this one. I was waiting to see how the Pegasus would be included in the 2003 series. Having the commander be a woman was a very nice twist. She was strong, bold, and took the path of violating the code of conduct...just like in the old series but with the dark tone that Bat Star 2003 has added so well. It was great to see how the crew got fractured in their alliance over this episode and the following episode. I loved how we thought we knew how the collision of characters was going to turn out, and then it didn't happen, and then another character comes around from the side to finish off the Pegasus story at the last moment of the last episode. Wow.
  • **This review is of the extended version

It is always possible to have, as they say, too much of a good thing. Less is more, addition by subtraction, and all that is typically pretty solid advice, but in this case, more of a good thing is simply a gift. The added footage is mostly expository; Cain gives more details regarding her ship's escape and trials, we get to learn just what Gina did in her role as a covert operative aboard Pegasus, and there's bit more about the goings-on down in the hangar deck, but some of the other additions were real jewels. We finally get to see the scene where Starbuck tries to convince Adama and Roslin that a return to Caprica is worthwhile (something that appeared in the recap section of a later episode). I particularly liked the extended drinking scene involving Tigh and Fisk. Also, there's a little throwaway with Baltar and Fisk aboard Pegasus that helps cement the jolly first mate as one of the few likeable Peggies. And Gaeta dispels those pesky rumors regarding his sexual preferences with an inquiry regarding the availability of porn. Of course, he didn't specify what kind of porn he was interested in, and we can't really assume that the Colonial Fleet has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The additions to the episode, thankfully, didn't hurt the narrative, which is one of the season's best. Cain is still the same hard-nosed commander, still undeterred from her single-minded pursuit of the Cylons. And Adama, despite all of his outward reassurances, still harbors misgivings about his new superior. I wonder if he knew more about her than he let on; perhaps he was one of those Commanders that she was promoted over. And I think we all know that he hasn't been taking orders his whole career - the last few months he's pretty much been in charge of his own destiny, and that can't be easy to give, especially to someone you know won't be sharing authority with a kindergarten teacher.

Now we're getting down to it - are they toasters or are they people? Our heroes (Galactica) are forced to face that question in the torture and attempted rape of Sharon/Boomer Mk2 (or is it Mk3?).

The appearance of Pegasus was utterly unexpected. Maximum points to the writers for this.

As for the claims by some people that the appearance of violence (torture, rape) on this show has ruined it for them: don't we watch this show because it's one of the most real SF shows ever shown? Aren't these people human, their problems equally human? These terrible things are what people have been doing to other people since time began. And, frankly, weren't the blood and guts on show from the gunplay (throughout the series) equally violent?

More credit to the writers for daring to be truthful.

A truly fascinating episode, and Edward James Olmos is simply superb in his own personal torture.
  • Just humans...

2 battlestars? That one too much...People always have to fight, and when there's no cylon threat, they fight themselves :) Warning: possible spoilers!
    Admiral Cain...Well, isn't this a name of a first vampire? My guess: she's a cylon. I wonder, how they will sort the situation out? Someone needs to shoot this woman...
  • CDR Adama is the classic military hero. (Possible spoilers)

This is another example of a well-written character brought to life by an excellent actor. The way that Adama reliquished command to ADM Cain, with out question or hesitation, shows that, even though he obviously has more experience, he follows the chain of command, no matter how is affects him. Adama would have been an admiral, had he not gotten out of the service for those years (how ever many there were.) It looked like ADM Cain was trying to bait him into a situation that she could use as an excuse to remove him from command (note the looks that they exchanged with Roslin.) EJO proves again to be an excellent actor, showing Adama as a battle-hardened veteran, not wanting to take orders from this \"new kid,\" but honor-bound to follow the chain of command. Kudos to you, EJO.
< 1 2 3