Battlestar Galactica

Pegasus

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

• They did it again...

Wow! what can i say?another great cliffhanger.I was looking foward for this episode and i did not got dissapointed at all.It was great to see the Pegasus again after all this years a little different of course i was skeptical about Michelle Forbes but she did her best as Admiral Cain i was hopping they use Dirk Bennedict for this role but she pulled it off.Great acting by everyone but the priceless moment for me was Adama expression when he found out about Helo and tyrol "trial" and when he took the desition to launch the vipers this is as mad as i seen him on the background the attack on the Cylon fleet and this new mistery ship.It its just me or all the Pegasus crew are jerks.and the cliffhanger i never ever thought there were the posibility of a Pegasus vs Galactica confrontation great writing!!!
  • An extremely intense and powerful episode. The entire Galactica world is turned upside down as Admiral Cain and the Pegasus take over. Questions arise about the morality of the Pegasus crew, from the brutal Cylon interrogator to the leader, Admiral Cain.

Wow! Talk about hard-hitting episodes. I feel like I got punched in the gut. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but it almost feels like I was in a fight after watching this episode.

This was one of the best episodes of the entire series while it further declares that this show is NOT FOR KIDS. Galactica encounters another battlestar, the more modern Pegasus, and its commanding officer, Admiral Cain. After the initial euphoria wears off, Adama and the Galactica crew begin to bristle under the increasingly dominant role that Cain and the Pegasus play in their lives.

Though Cain treads lightly at first, she begins to enforce the chain of command, which finds her at the top. She transfers Starbuck and Apollo to the Pegasus where Apollo becomes a Raptor crew member. Though Baltar is brought to Pegasus to examine their Cylon captive, Lt. Thorne boards Galactica to interrogate Sharon.

Thorne is known as the "Cylon interrogator." His men boast about his techniques, which include sexual assault. Helo and Tyrol listen as the Pegasus crewmen boast about having "taken their turns" with their captured Cylon prisoner, a brutalized and mentally broken copy of Number Six. Cally, who had killed the first Sharon, cannot bear to listen and walks out.

Meanwhile we see Lt. Thorne beginning his "interrogation" of Sharon. It begins with several slaps with the back of his hand and continues with punches. This was difficult to watch and roiled my stomach more than any roller coaster could. It was a truly disturbing scene and not for the faint of heart. The abuse and the ribald boasting of the Pegasus crewmen really helped one to feel the sense of helplessness experienced not only by Sharon but also by Helo and Tyrol.

Despite the antagonism between Helo and Tyrol over Sharon, they both realize that the remaining Sharon is in danger. They race to stop Thorne as he prepares to break Sharon using his "special technique." SciFi showed an advisory before airing this scene. The advisory was necessary as this was an intense scene involving the physical and attempted sexual abuse of a female character, whether or not she was a Cylon. Helo and Tyrol attack Thorne and the guard. In the melee, Thorne is killed.

Cain has the two men transported to Pegasus for court-martial proceedings, despite Adama's protestations. Cally pleads with Adama and vouches for Tyrol's character. Adama agrees that he is a good man. Once Adama learns that both men have been found guilty almost immediately and sentenced to be executed, he decides to take action. The outcome of the conflict is not shown. Rather, it is "TO BE CONTINUED."

Tigh, who has flaws of his own, may have learned about a shocking skeleton in Cain's closet. The single-minded focus and violent approach that Pegasus has taken in the struggle against the Cylons may come from the top, from Admiral Cain. Tigh's failings are mere foibles in comparison with Cain's. Has she violated the same moral law that the biblical Cain did?

The episodes this season have continued to throw the Galactica and the fleet into turmoil. Early in the season, we saw the division of the crew and the fleet as Apollo and Zarek followed Roslin to Kobol. Now we see the growing dominance of Cain and the Pegasus crew over Adama and Galactica's forces. Producers Moore and Eick refuse to let us settle in and get comfortable with our surroundings on Battlestar Galactica. It feels less like a weekly serialized drama and more like a messy, random group of events that affect realistic and believable characters. Some of these events can be extraordinarily harsh and brutal, as in the case of Lt. Thorne and his actions. What remains consistent is the twisting, organic nature of the storyline, which doesn't seem to follow a predetermined path. An extraordinary episode, even if it's tough to watch.

[NOTE: Viewers uncomfortable with scenes of violence against women and with realistic depictions of attempted sexual assault should be aware of the intense nature of a key scene in this episode.]
  • Galactica finds another Battlestar (Pegasus), that survived the initial attack. It's commander (Admiral Cain), takes fleet command, promises little changes, but fails to deliver, and chaos ensues, classic.......

Even though this episode was disturbing to me, I'm sure it was the writer's intent. Cain (and Pegasus) arrives on the scene with much fanfare, but the honeymoon quicly ends as Adama and Cain disagree on pretty much everything! The mutiny that ensues will keep me chatting w/my Sci-Fi groupies till the conclusion in Jan..... A+
  • Galactica encounters the Battlestar Pegasus and it’s commander Admiral Nelena Cain.

Painful, Nerve-wracking, well written, not my favorite story line. All these could be used as this episode's classification.

This episode takes part it’s action from the notorious incident at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. The Pegasus and it’s crew dehumanized the Cylons despite their human appearance. This made it “okay” for Thorne, the “Cylon interrogator”, to brutalize and sexually assault Cylon prisoners. This dehumanizing would seem very logical. Cylons are machines aren’t they? The problem to the Galactica crew is that Sharon was a crewmate and they see “her” as an enemy have not a thing. This humanization results in their (and our) revulsion at the interrogation technique used by the Pegasus’ Cylon interrogator.

Admiral Cain use of summary judgment to convict Helo and Tyrol makes the story of her shooting the Pegasus XO for disobeying an order believable. For the uninitiated actions such as Cain’s, while expedient, are considered crimes despite the war zone status. The same is true for the brutal and dehumanizing treatment of prisoners in Iraq.

I gave this episode top marks despite it’s content. The script was well crafted and acting made the script almost too believable.
  • can this show get any better

well i have to say that was the best episode ive seen so far had me on the edge of my seat from beggining to end

im loving that theres another battlestar but hating the fact that adama as been out ranked
    (no way that will last long)
    i thought having a new battlestar would have brought the colany closer and would have given them more hope but i was dead wrong because were as the galactica have been doing as they plz (to an extent) the pegasus as been under strick orders so when they came together all hell broke loose and that was only the tip of the iceburg

was a great scene were Helo and Tyrol burst in to sharons holding cell and killed that Cylon interrogator cos as soon as he hit sharon i wanted to hit him my self lol...it was that intense
    it then got better when they werent given a fair trail for the murder and were sentenced to death which really peed of adama so he sent out vipers and a rescue team which then peed of the Admiral Cain who also sent out vipers
    it then ended and i was laying on the floor in tears knowing i had to wait till 2006 to c the next episode lol
  • I should give this a 0.5...

For making us wait until JANUARY to see the end of this thrilling episode.

It turns out the Galactica wasn't the only Battlestar to have survived the Cylon attack. The Pegasus, commanded by Admiral Cain (an interesting Biblical reference to be sure), and her crew of what can only be described as a bunch of priates. Frankly, any time where Baltar is the friendly, sane guy, Helo and Tyrol are the males thinking the least with their little heads, and Tigh comes off as a comparatively good XO means something is amiss.

After everyone's met their counterparts, we find that Pegasus has their own Cylon prisoner, a badly-beaten Six. We are also regaled with tales from the Pegasus deck crew of her physical and sexual abuse, which is even enough to sicken Cally, who murdered a Cylon only a couple episodes ago. Most of the abuse comes from the hands of an interrogator, who soon goes to "interrogate" our very own Boomer. This scene, along with the Pegasus crew telling of their own tales of gang-raping their prisoner, makes this possibly the hardest Galactica to watch. But it's also the reason why it's the best show on television.
  • What TV should look like.

I am a big fan of the last series. My favorite episode happens to be the re-uniting of the Pegasus with the Galatica. I liked how they merged the two fleets togther in the old series.

So far I must say I have not been let done by the new series. The plots are invitingly new with that hint of the old series. The new Pegasus really rocks he boat. The pitting of the two ships is essential to pull off the parallel story line. I like how the different twist has made it even more exciting.

I wait with baited breath till January for the next installement of one of the best shows on TV.
  • Black becomes white. White becomes black. There's a whole lot of grey in this sort-of finale.

It's clear television writers like to turn the world of their characters upside down, and none more so than in Battlestar Galactica. Initially, the show was more or less just about a fleet of survivors fleeing for their lives from the Cylons.

That was all well and good. But the Cylon threat wasn't enough for good entertainment value. Sure they're imposing, but apart from a few models that look (and even feel) exactly like humans, it's hard to put a face on them. So Season 2, so far at least, has been much less about defence against the Cylons, and much more about internal conflicts. I'm not talking about the 'Sir, I don't think that's a good idea' conflicts that sent Star Trek Enterprise to an early grave. I'm talking insults and fistfights, treason and mutiny. It took seven episodes for the fleet to become a happy(ish) family once again after the chaos of the Season 1 Finale. I didn't think there was any way for the Season 2 Finale to be better. But it was, because the world got turned upside down. Suddenly, it's humans who are being portrayed as vicious and evil, and the Cylons as helpless victims. It's a strange time, to be sure, to be sure...

And so in this, the midseason finale (what a strange term, I've never encountered it before, and don't ever expect such a phrase to be used on British TV), the fleet come across another surviving Battlestar, the Pegasus. At first, it's all jubilation and welcome, but things soon become unnerving. Firstly, the Pegasus' leader is an Admiral, and outranks Commander Adama. So our trusted military leader of the last two seasons is no longer in charge, despite his closeness with the President, simply because of military protocol. Added to this, we discover that Admiral Cain (Michelle Forbes from Star Trek:TNG and 24) is a bit of a hardass bitch, and is keen to shake up the structure of the Galactica because she deems the crew to be inefficient from previous mistakes and failures and yes, mutiny. To be honest, she has a very good point, but the viewer is blinded by the affection we've developed for the Galactica crew.

That's the unnerving part, I wasn't really ready for the disturbing part. Like the Galactica crew, the Pegasus also has a Cylon prisoner aboard. If you'd thought Galactica's Cylon had been treated badly, you'd be wrong. The Pegasus is proof. The prisoner, who turns out to be a copy of the femme fatale that lingers in Dr. Baltar's mind, has been beaten and raped almost to death. The Cylons have killed billions of humans, and yet the humans are the only ones who seem to be showing enjoyment in their malice. Random Pegasus officers make jokes about having a little bit of 'Oh yeah, oh yeah' with the prisoner, and even Cally shows disgust. The same Cally who once shot a Cylon in cold blood just because she was a machine. Worse still, Nasty Interrogation Man decides to 'question' the Galactica's prisoner Sharon, a character we've already been made to feel at least some sympathy for. Question is the wrong word. He does nothing of the sort. After beating her senseless, he's just about ready to rape her (and has possibly even started) when Helo and Tyrol intervene. But even they aren't saints. Whether by accident or intent, Tyrol kills the interrogator. The pair are put on trial by Admiral Cain, and it is swiftly decided that they should be executed. The episode ends with Adama deciding that it's time for him to take a turn at the whole mutiny thing.

What an amazing way to end the season. I never expected things could get so heated in just one episode. It's obviously not the first TV series to try to make good of the bad guys and vice versa (new Doctor Who did it with a Dalek), but it's the most effective I've seen. What made the torture scene so much better was that it was followed by Dr. Baltar giving food to the Pegasus' Cylon, and telling her he would take care of her, before crying over her horrific condition. The line between what separates the humans and the Cylons has become even more blurred, to the point that I find it difficult to have less sympathy for a Cylon than for a human. Bravo to the writers, for daring to write about such a difficult topic, and kudos for pulling it off to make the best episode of Battlestar Galactica so far, and the best finale in a long while. I know, I know, it wasn't technically a finale, but what am I supposed to say? The next episode, and the conclusion to the Galactica/Pegasus showdown, won't be for at least three months. Sob.
  • This episode was just plain awesome. Atlhough I have to say I haven\\\'t seen a single one that didn\\\'t end with some incredible events!

I\\\'m surprised that no one (from what I\\\'ve read) has mentioned the amusing name of the admiral cain. It\\\'s interesting that they would choose that name, due to the award winning book \\\"The Caine Mutiny\\\". Spelled a bit differently, it\\\'s a very similar idea - mutiny of a ship based on morales, but everything that the crew disagreed with was actually run by the books some way or another.

Very well written, and an incredible sort-of-finale for the part season!
  • Another battlestar is found! A blessing for the ragtag fleet? Or a new way to hell?

Such a nice way to link the old and the new BSGs, even with the cliffhanger at the end.
    But don’t get me wrong: it works perfectly within this new show. If you never watched the 70s BSG, the only thing that you’ll be missing is the similarities I will mention, but the episode works on its own.

In short: while fleeing from the Cylons, Galactica comes across the unimaginable: another battlestar survived, the Pegasus, commanded by Admiral Cain. A Commander Cain was Pegasus’ commander in the 70s. Both Cains share some traits: they’re hawks, while Adama is a dove (well, not so much in this new version). Both Cains take advantage of Adama’s trust (I will not interfere in your command, Adama, says the new Cain; next thing, she’s unifying crews, transferring even Adama’s son to Pegasus, judging two crew members from the Galactica summarily on the Pegasus: did she expect Bill to accept that kind of treatment?).

But there are differences: our new Cain is an Admiral; and it’s a she, the third sex change in the new series (will there be a female-to-male switch? I guess not, after all I remember only three female characters in the old BSG, Adama’s daughter Athena, the socialator-turned-nurse Cassiopeia and Sheba, Commander Cain’s daughter. Well, we could always have Admiral Cain’s son fall for Starbuck ;-)
    Anyway, the new tension between Cain and Adama is not sexual, it’s rank-related. Though Adama says he can take orders (he tells the President something like I’ve been taking orders during my entire career), it takes little to push him to and over the brink of mutiny. Because at the end of the episode Adama order one of his Raptors to board to recover two of his men (I want my men back).

Questions I had while watching this episode:
    -how did Pegasus’ fighters survive in combat against Cylons? One of them sported the silhouettes of over 40 Cylon Raiders, which should be impossible, since they’re newer fighters, therefore susceptible to Cylon hacking.
    -I had thought Baltar might be insane, but now I think he’s plain stupid. Let’s see, we find a new copy of Number Six, kept prisoner in the Pegasus. He gets to interrogate her. He’s going to use the carrot, since Cain’s people have already used the stick (beaten her almost to death, and there are allusions the crew might have gang-raped her). OK up to here. But... he confesses to her his whole adventure with another Six on Caprica. Can’t this man keep his mouth shut? He’s in an interrogation cell, which is surely bugged!
    -when saluting a female officer, shouldn’t you say “yes ma’am” (well, in this case “aye ma’am”, she’s an Admiral)? That’s the impression I had gotten watching JAG anyway.
    -we’ve gone up from beating and torturing Cylons for information to raping them (and not really for information, after just a couple of questions). And almost as disturbing as the frustrated rape scene (which ends with the rapist from Pegasus dead) is, I found the scene where those crewmembers from Pegasus were boasting of how they had “enjoyed” their own Cylon.
    -Cain was not going to accept orders from a civilian President before Adama’s rebellion. Which side will Roslyn take now?
    -In the OS, Cain finally came around to Adama’s point of view, apparently sacrificing Pegasus to protect “the ragtag fleet”. Would our new Cain take this step? I frankly don’t think so. (A nice twist would be an idea that many fanfic writers have used: Pegasus beats the odds in a three to one battle, is thought to be destroyed but only gets heavily damaged, and later rejoins the fleet, apparently a plot element that would have been used in the second season of BSG that never came to be.)

Pity we’ll have to wait a few months to get the end to this two-parter. That’s the only reason I didn’t give it a 10
  • Do robots dream of electric sheep? The root of the story is how do you treat your enemies. Is it ok to kill them on the battlefield, but not ok to rape and torture them in private? Are those who commit war crimes our friends? To be continued...

Let's just get the obvious out of the way. Rape is bad. Depictions of rape are bad. However, this show put up a disclaimer just before the scence to be sure the kiddies are out of the room. If you are going to have to insert a rape storyline, then the least you can do is warn people. This show did that.

The arrival of the Pegasus has been expected by anyone who knew anything about the original series. Michelle Forbes (of Star Trek:TNG and 24) is "Admiral" Cain. Obviously the two crews were going to butt heads. Who knew they were going to play the Pegasus as a band of loonatics and power freaks?

This all escalates to a killing and an instant court martial. Apparently on the Pegausus, the accused are to sentenced, tried, and hanged.

This show is looking for a new arc right now. This may be the beginning of it. If so, let the good times roll.
  • Wow, what can i say its just perfect to set up the finale of the series.

Just a simply amazing episode. You could tell as soon as the crew from the Pegasus entered Galatica that they where different, battle hardened!

But the events that unfolded where amazing. The pegasus crew, like there commanding officer are battle hardened and act accordingly. They have come in taken command and had no disregard for Adama or his wishes. Commander Cain is like the perfect soldier who totally believes in the cause no matter what the consequences! The court marshal quick and brutal with the obvious result. The officers did wrong and will be punished. No if's buts or maybes, no chance for them to explain, just following orders and the execution to be instant.

What she didn't count on was the reluctence of Commander Adama to give up his crew so easily. Which sets up an agonising wait to see how the events unfold. Will the Pegasus fighters actually fire on the Galactica? Or will sense pre-vail and avoid the unnecsary slaughter and waste of the few remaining figthers which have so valianetly defended Galactica so far.

Its a tough call but i feel sense will pre-vail and eventually they will combine forces to combat this new Cylon threat.
  • A second Battlestar...a large Cylon fleet...and an Admiral who runs a ship that is a tad to tight

This episode alone stands as an example as to why I watch this show. It was well written, with exciting pacing. I was rivited to my tv for the entire episode. It was a great lead in to the mid-season break. And to see Michelle Forbes back on TV was great as well. There is nothing about this episode that I can find fault with. It shows the two vastly different schools of thought when it comes to the treatment of prisoners.

The vast difference in treatment was astounding. From the beatings and violations of the Cylon (who is a copy of Baltar's companion), and how those on the Galactica treat Sharon. It was a great way to end the mid-season, and I know I will be counting the hours and days until its return.
  • And I thought last season's finale was a cliffhanger. At least then I knew that Adama would pull through. Here, we're left with a true cliffhanger right in the middle of what looks to be an epic space batle. This show rarely disappoints.

While the crew of the Pegasus filled out all expectations of a cookie-cutter crew set to counter the Galactica, the episode did throw a few loops. I knew the Pegasus Cylon was going to be one of a couple characters, I just thought it might have worked better to be a character introduced a couple episodes ago.

Other than that the finale was great. The final shot sets up what's bound to be a great opener next season.
  • FINALLY an episode with teeth!

An interesting and very exciting episode that finally starts to show how the characters are realistically connected to each other and makes the point that they are a social unit fighting for a common goal. Eventhough the military is in charge there should be a more prominent human point to the fighting!
  • CDR Adama is the classic military hero. (Possible spoilers)

This is another example of a well-written character brought to life by an excellent actor. The way that Adama reliquished command to ADM Cain, with out question or hesitation, shows that, even though he obviously has more experience, he follows the chain of command, no matter how is affects him. Adama would have been an admiral, had he not gotten out of the service for those years (how ever many there were.) It looked like ADM Cain was trying to bait him into a situation that she could use as an excuse to remove him from command (note the looks that they exchanged with Roslin.) EJO proves again to be an excellent actor, showing Adama as a battle-hardened veteran, not wanting to take orders from this \"new kid,\" but honor-bound to follow the chain of command. Kudos to you, EJO.
  • One of the finest series on television

Just to add to the other reviewers, this is a perfect example of how Battlestar Galactica has become one of the finest shows doing the rounds.

Having listened to the podcasts accompanying the episodes it's very interesting seeing where Ronald D. Moore is taking the series. Can't wait for the concluding part of this story and we're only half way through the series!!
  • Differing methods of survival, seen through new eyes, and both found wanting

I said it before, and I’ll say it again: I truly despise this “summer finale” business that the SFC consistently shoves down our collective throats. It forces the producers and writers to segment their season arcs in a way that doesn’t always fit the traditional three-act story structure that those arcs are built around. When the writers force it, it doesn’t work very well; “Stargate: Atlantis” is a good example. This series, however, took the opportunity to touch on the original series (thematically, anyway) while taking advantage of the fact that the first season arcs came to a relative conclusion.

Adama and his crew have gone through some trying times over the past 20+ episodes, and as many detractors have pointed out, some decisions by the command staff have been questionable at best. In particular, Adama has allowed a number of things that would never be overlooked in a traditional military structure. He tries to make the crew a family, and he treats them as such. In the face of extreme adversity, Adama’s flaw is often his compassion.

As I mentioned in my comments for the previous episode, one criticism against the series is the deeply flawed nature of every character. None of them are sterling officers with a sense of protocol; they all have agendas and concerns of their own, and those often get in the way of true unity. But that begs the question: would a strict enforcement of martial authority be any better?

In keeping with the concept of the series in terms of its characterizations, the crew of the Pegasus may be following the chain of command, performing as one would expect during a war, but they are hardly pristine and perfect officers. If anything, that strict and regimented lifestyle, when sustained over time with no prospect of an end in sight, must inevitably have an outlet for the negative energy.

As the episode marched on and the depravity of the Pegasus crew was revealed, I was struck by reports of what ordinary soldiers during the Vietnam conflict had done under vaguely similar circumstances: rape of “enemy” prisoners, for one thing. One could argue that Boomer is treated a bit too well, and that Tyrol and Helo are being played, but simply from the point of view of Boomer’s pregnancy and the opportunity to understand the Cylon agenda, it makes sense for them to keep her in good condition. The treatment of Six on Pegasus only reinforces what the Cylons think of humans.

As Ron Moore says on his podcast for the episode, the worst part is that Admiral Cain (played by the very hot Michelle Forbes) is right about Adama’s shortcomings. Of course, that doesn’t make her own methods any better, and it doesn’t give her the right to execute people without a fair hearing. Cain also fails to take into consideration all the things that Adama accomplished; first and foremost, he kept the majority of survivors alive despite issues with the civilian president and an assassination attempt. Cain has actually killed survivors to keep others in line. It’s a question of keeping the goal in sight, even under extreme circumstances. (Perhaps those justifying the gang rape of prisoners in their reviews might stop to consider what they are championing.)

Were Tyrol and Helo right to defend Boomer as they did? Hard to say, but it’s a testimony to the writers that the audience actually has sympathy for Boomer and Pegasus’ version of Six. At the very least, they were provoked. I can’t imagine what the female crew members on Pegasus thought of the men happily celebrating gang rape. I did note that Cain was dismissive of the President, who is technically in authority over her as well. That ought to be fun to watch in the second half of the story. Whatever the case, this is going to be one hell of a ball of string to unravel come January!
  • Just humans...

2 battlestars? That one too much...People always have to fight, and when there's no cylon threat, they fight themselves :) Warning: possible spoilers!
    Admiral Cain...Well, isn't this a name of a first vampire? My guess: she's a cylon. I wonder, how they will sort the situation out? Someone needs to shoot this woman...
  • Creepy and interesting

After being on the run and not rested Galactica stumbles upon another Battlestar. This is the greatest news the fleet has gotten. It is a much needed releif for Galactica, now able to alternate watches and duty times with the Pegasus. Great News for the fleet as well, now under the protection of two mighty capital ships. This could also mean the possiblity of more survivors out there somewhere. Sadly this doesn't last. Anytime a new character is introduced that out ranks the main character, they turns out to be a jerk. This makes sence otherwise you get your main character only better. The Admiral seizes control of the fleet. She also authorizes torture of Boomer. Luckly Helo and Chief come to her rescue, although you could argue they were a little late. This sends the two Battlestars into a giant conflict, resulting in a possible war. Again the series decides to bring in the subject of Cylon rights. This goes to show that Adama is much more humane than Admiral Cain.
  • So there's more survivors...

This show is genious, every episode is filled with greatnes, and this ep is no exeption. Allthough I hate the midseason system, I must admit that for a season finale thisone had just enough cliffhangers. I'm desperately looking foreward til January, so we get to see whats to become of Pegasus.

There were a rape sceene in this episode, and that was truly painful to watch. I love the grayzone that Boomer makes by beeing wounerable as a human, but still she conducts the cylon missions. So we sympathise with her, but after all shes a cylon. Gayuses struggle between his love for six and his loyalty to humanity is also a nice touch. It started out as a black and white goodguys/ badguys series, but now I'm sensing some shades of gray. (well, I have done THAT for a while now). Well done showmakers :)
  • True Civil War

This episode really proved to us what we are dealing with here. First of all there was the score, the show has always had a very energizing score, but this time was different. The music had just as much a part in this downhill journey as the actors did. The episode started in pure panic as an unknown ship came into to driadus range, went to joy as the Pegasus was reveled, and into utter confusion as the beginning of an all out civil war began. Secondly, Gaius Baltar. He has truly embraced his destiny in this episode. Till January!!!
  • Awesome show but...January AAAGHHHHHH

This is why I bought the DVD...Because I knew this stupid break was coming.

I have been surfing the net and have found some interesting things...

The fans of the old series are really freaked out about the new show especially this episode. But people complained about Stargate SG-1 ruining the chances for a Stargate movie sequel...um like that was going to happen! Dukes of Hazard truests attacked the new movie as well as well as Charlies Angels what ever...

great cliffhanger and I was surprised the show was over. time slipped by...
  • Pivotal plot developments, great tension between the macho sadistic behavior of the Pegasus crew and the more humane Galactica crew. However, the Adama and McDonnell's acting leaves much to be desired, and the camera lingers too long affecting the pacing

The old, clunk Galactica has found another battlestar ship, the Pegasus. I thought the plot situations were good, especially the way Admiral Kane pointed out the lack of expected military discipline aboard the Galactica. It's to be expected, these officers were the rag-tag misfits who never quite got the whole obedience factor of a military heirarchy, assigned to a soon-to-be declassified battlestar. The tension between the macho bordering on sadistic attitude of the Pegasus officers and the more humane Galactica crew were well done. My heart was beating in my chest when Helo and Chief were running to prevent the attempted rape of the Cylon Boomer. It seems a bit unbelievable that the guards wouldn't immediately shoot Helo and Chief as they were beating the interrogator mercilessly, but oh well, it led to the inevitable break of Galactica from Pegasus command.

My major qualm with this episode, however, was with the acting and directing. Specifically with the morose mumblings of Adama, except near the end, and the questionable acting chops of McDonnell as the President. Admiral Kane was appropriately stiff, proud, and commandeering however, and the flight officers and Baltar are well-cast. In addition, the pacing of the episode feels off, as the camera lingers too much on one scene, instead of efficiently cutting to the next. There was one or two times that I felt, let's get on with the story, especially with such a juicy plot as this. I have to blame the director and editor, for not demanding the right acting from the actors, and for their lazy editing. If the episode was tighter and better acted, I would give it a higher score.
  • Muddy Brilliant, evil tyranical dictator Admiral Cain shows what an Iron fist will force good people to resort to.

Absolutely brilliant, trials pending executions, muntiny its got it all....A proverbial synopsis of humatity itself. Good v Evil.

Although abit strong for some more sensitive viewers the rape scene of Boomer and the realisation as to how Cain's cylon prisoner came to be such a shocking state clearly shows what depths humanity will drop to during war.

Mid season finales should be outlawed can't wait till 2006!
  • One damn-fine episode

"Pegasus" shows exactly why some critics call Battlestar the best show on T.V. The writing was brilliant, the plot was intense as all hell, and the ending left me wanting more. I don't think I've ever seen a more dramatic or disturbing scene than the rape/interrogation scene. Now I have to wait 3 damn months for a new episode. Shat.
  • Realism, edge of the seat instalment

All through the show so far, every episode was able to continue building the characters for us, however, this episode also seems to have tried to make us realise that things are not black and white, wrong or right, do we become as bad as the enemy, even if the enemy is not of our own kind? If we want to do some philosophical thinking here we can ask wither the directors trying to draw parallels with real life? Do we let the rules bend if whoever we have imprisoned not from our race, colour, nationality or religion? Who knows…

This episode was able to keep me on the edge of my seat from the get go to the worlds to be continued, that’s when I remembered or realised that there won’t be a continue for this next week! Aaahhhhh

I do agree with the person above who said that when they came to rescue boomer that the two military personal did not shoot them on site, but hey it’ s only a show at the end.

Such an enjoyable episode, I hope the next one can keep up with my now too hight expectations!
  • Another good episode although I wish this time we had more resolution

This was another good episode and a big pick up from the somewhat lacking Lucy Lawless/reporter ep. I am a little annoyed that we haven't heard anything about Boomers baby. This kid is supposed to be integral to the Cylons plan and yet we haven't heard anything about it since it was born. I also wish that there had been a bit more resolution. With the season one finale I felt it was an appropriate cliffhanger but this one left me hanging a bit too much.

To the folks who have complained about the attempted rape scene I have to agree that it was hard to watch. However, that's intentional. Battlestar Galactica is not supposed to be one of the kinds of shows which we are always comfortable watching. On one level I think this is a not too subtle comment on the practices of the US military today. However, it is also an indicator of how far out of bounds Admiral Cain has slipped. She has put a sadist in charge of interrogation. Even if one were to accept the efficacy of torture there are other methods to conduct it other than rape. The fact that this was the method chosen by the interrogator indicates that he is more concerned with satisfying his own urges than with obtaining reliable information (indeed his methods have rendered the valuable captive Six catatonic). It's also a good way to get Helo and the Chief involved in a violent confrontation. If this guy were doing what would probably be standard fleet practice of aggressive questioning they probably would never have interuppted. But the extreme nature of his sadistic torturing led them to fly in like the cavalry and led to the confrontation between Galactica and Pegasus.
  • WOW!!!!

Another great episode. I felt that Admiral Cain was way over the edge. You can even look at her crew and see fear from them when she gives the order to attack the Galactica. The Chief still loves Sharon or at least still cares for her, which really showed when he and Helo stopped the officer from attacking Sharon. Apollo and Starbuck being sent to the Pegagus was a joke. Like they are going to follow orders any better over there. Starbuck left to go get the new stealth viper to do her own recon.

Mutiny!
  • The Galactica finds Pegasus, and a battle for control breaks out.

Come on people! There are what, some 40,000 humans left alive. Maybe more, and they are gonna go out and kill 2 for protecting a prisoner. Not only that, but then they are gonna have a huge war? Why dont they just set off nukes and do the Cylons jobs for them!
< 1 2 3