Battlestar Galactica

Pegasus

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

• A disgusting travesty of television, I'm amazed it ever got past the censors.

0.1
    I found this episode disgusting and disgraceful. Even the suggestion of such horrific acts being carried out on sentient beings goes far beyond the necessary. I was plainly horrified when I saw number six lying on the brig floor covered in bruises and cuts, and to top it off the attempted rape of Boomer. I am very glad that the scene was interrupted before anything major happened, that for me is this episodes only saving grace.
    These things happen in real life, to real people, imagine the impact this episode would have had on one such person.
  • Rape, torture, bondage and then rape-interrogation. This has ruined this series for me.

1.8
    Everything was going well with this episode, but the whole rape thing ruined it for me. I was rather shocked and disgusted. I don't think I can watch the show anymore. I assume there was some kind of point they were trying to make, but I was too disgusted to notice. Although the character "six" is supposed to be an android, for all intents and purposes she was human and had been subjected to brutality and totures that would be inflited upon humans. Add to that the rape interrogation of boomer, and you have an episode that crossed the line for this series. I don't think I'll be able to watch again, the whole thing turned my stomach.

What is worse is that there are injustices like this going on in the real world today.
  • This series has sucked ever since NBC got their claws into it. (review edited)

I really, REALLY liked the first season of Battlestar Galactica. That's why I am so disgusted with the direction that the series has taken now that NBC has hooked into it and subtly changed the direction.

Pretty much everything in the series is now either "ripped from the headlines" type stuff or is in the same cheesy vein as Law & Order-type shows. From the Abu Ghraib-type garbage in this episode to the pathetic first and second episodes of this season which were so desperate to please any-and-every possible type of consumer group out there (military fans, computer nerds, women, etc.) -- it just reeked of desperation.

And a lot of the episodes are just downright "preachy", which to me makes for rotten Sci-Fi. Sure, it's good run-of-the-mill network-style TV for people who don't like to think too much and who will eagerly watch just about anything labeled as Fantasy or Sci-Fi no matter how bad it is (Stargate fans, for instance), but it's just downright lousy as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope the original team exerts a little more control over the 3rd season (if that's even possible after selling out to NBC), otherwise I might not be along for the ride for too much longer. There's a reason I don't watch regular network TV, and now they've let NBC take this series and turn it into their standard network dreck. That's just wrong, and it makes me angry.

*edit*

After watching more of Season 3, I have to look back at this review and admit that, while I still feel that I was entirely justified at the time I wrote it, my feelings ended up being wrong in the long run. NBC did not entirely ruin the show as I feared that they would, but it has also been a litle cheesier (in this case, melodramatic) than I would have desired.
  • I really wanted to like this episode: the original ‘Living Legend” is definitely one of my favorite BSG 1978 episodes. But as I watched Pegasus, all I could think of is how well this episode served to highlight the shortcomings of this new BSG

5.9
    (PLEASE NOTE: this is a critique of the episode Pegasus. It is spoiler heavy and assumes the reader has already seen the show. Do not expect a recap of the events is this episode: this is a review of those events, not a retelling.)

First of all, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the writers have NO IDEA how a military organization is supposed to function. As viewers we are routinely asked to sympathize with generally undisciplined, insubordinate characters, and sometimes even open mutineers. So now, in order to make the Pegasus crew look like bad guys, they have to be completely over the top callous, evil bastards. They actually had to stage an attempted rape scene to get the audience to sympathize with the protagonists. Starbuck even acts like the crew of Pegasus are stupid for tracking kills, as if (A) that weren’t a common military practice and (B) doing something in a way different than herself is somehow stupid and pointless. Adama tells his pilots that they are officers and should act like it. But they immediately respond by disrespecting their new CAG and then planning to steal a military ship for an unauthorized recon mission just because they don’t like the guys in charge. And we are supposed to think they are doing the right thing? Why should I sympathize with people who have absolutely no regard for anything other than their own desires and opinions. What’s more, why do the writers continually act as if this streak of insubordination and the total lack of discipline on Galactica are somehow commendable. If Cain is going to strictly enforce the regs, and make use of her ‘broad authority’ why doesn’t Roslin point out that even though Colonial Naval regulations make Cain the commanding uniformed officer, the Articles of Colonization make Roslin the President (and presumably Commander-in-Chief). Cain might not accept it, and she definitely has the biggest stick, but that inability to accept Roslin’s authority is a perfect reason for Adama to resist Cain’s command. Speaking of this, we come to Adama’s rebellion at the end of the episode. First of all, why should we support his decision to mutiny against his acknowledged superior officer because he doesn’t like her command style (yes, it sucks that his two officers will be executed, and he should tell her that even if they did mutiny, they are too valuable to simply execute). But what’s more, he launches fighers against a technologically and numerically superior force knowing full well that the Pegasus has plenty of time to see and respond to the attack. How does he expect to win?

Personally, I would have used the military/civilian government struggle at a method of sparking conflict between Galactica and Pegasus. If Cain had refused to acknowledge Roslin’s authority and attempted a military coup, it would have been easy to believe Adama would move against Cain in support of Roslin, the legitmate President. But since Adama himself started a coup last season, the writers couldn’t do that. (Of course, since that coup had absolutely no long term consequences, they might as well have had another one).
    But I suppose this is all moot, since I suspect the Cylons will show up just before open civil war starts and both ships will have to join forces to fight the real enemy.

And some general plot holes/unanswered questions:

-Both Battlestars launch their ‘alert fighters’ at the end of the episode, but we clearly see that some 60 fighters launch from Pegasus and Galactica must have launched damn near all of it’s 40 fighters. I find it hard to believe that all 40 fighters and pilots are on alert at all times.

-How did Pegasus manage to avoid the cylons Colonial Ship disabling beam during the initial assault and their subsequent encounters? And if the Pegasus did discover the faulty coding in the Baltar’s navigation system, how did they do so? -How did Pegasus discover than cylons look like humans? How did they capture 6?

-Why do we not see any female crew members from Pegasus? And why is Pegasus’s deck chief the only sympathetic character from the entire ship (is he going to be the adoptee who stays with galactica after Pegasus disappears)?
  • The Galactica finds Pegasus, and a battle for control breaks out.

Come on people! There are what, some 40,000 humans left alive. Maybe more, and they are gonna go out and kill 2 for protecting a prisoner. Not only that, but then they are gonna have a huge war? Why dont they just set off nukes and do the Cylons jobs for them!
  • A new Battlestar!?! new danger?

Pegasus is certainly the most audacious episode of BSG so far. Until now the face of war we have seen is that of the grizzled Major Adama and company aboard the Galactica. With clear divisions as to who the bad guys are and what is fair and right in times of war. In this episode the hope and joy at the discovery of another surviving Battlestar, and crew, is short lived as we bear witness to another side of colonial conflict. Galactica’s setting in space removes it from earthly concerns other television show face is confronting the situation in Iraq or the War On Terror. Battlestar can deal with the prickly topics of how we fight a war today or conduct ourselves in these war zones. The aggressive and barbaric rape, torture and humiliation of the Cylon prisoners surely holds a mirror up to events of our times like the scandals and public outcry over Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo Bay. Bravo to the team behind the show for tackling these subjects in an intelligent and forthright manner. Using Science Fiction to reflect culture like in it used to in the past, fear of the Atomic Age for example. Backed up with fantastic cast, writing and execution the shows rebirth has been a revelation and Pegasus is a classic example of the quality we have come to expect from this fine show.
  • Pivotal plot developments, great tension between the macho sadistic behavior of the Pegasus crew and the more humane Galactica crew. However, the Adama and McDonnell's acting leaves much to be desired, and the camera lingers too long affecting the pacing

The old, clunk Galactica has found another battlestar ship, the Pegasus. I thought the plot situations were good, especially the way Admiral Kane pointed out the lack of expected military discipline aboard the Galactica. It's to be expected, these officers were the rag-tag misfits who never quite got the whole obedience factor of a military heirarchy, assigned to a soon-to-be declassified battlestar. The tension between the macho bordering on sadistic attitude of the Pegasus officers and the more humane Galactica crew were well done. My heart was beating in my chest when Helo and Chief were running to prevent the attempted rape of the Cylon Boomer. It seems a bit unbelievable that the guards wouldn't immediately shoot Helo and Chief as they were beating the interrogator mercilessly, but oh well, it led to the inevitable break of Galactica from Pegasus command.

My major qualm with this episode, however, was with the acting and directing. Specifically with the morose mumblings of Adama, except near the end, and the questionable acting chops of McDonnell as the President. Admiral Kane was appropriately stiff, proud, and commandeering however, and the flight officers and Baltar are well-cast. In addition, the pacing of the episode feels off, as the camera lingers too much on one scene, instead of efficiently cutting to the next. There was one or two times that I felt, let's get on with the story, especially with such a juicy plot as this. I have to blame the director and editor, for not demanding the right acting from the actors, and for their lazy editing. If the episode was tighter and better acted, I would give it a higher score.
  • Another good episode although I wish this time we had more resolution

This was another good episode and a big pick up from the somewhat lacking Lucy Lawless/reporter ep. I am a little annoyed that we haven't heard anything about Boomers baby. This kid is supposed to be integral to the Cylons plan and yet we haven't heard anything about it since it was born. I also wish that there had been a bit more resolution. With the season one finale I felt it was an appropriate cliffhanger but this one left me hanging a bit too much.

To the folks who have complained about the attempted rape scene I have to agree that it was hard to watch. However, that's intentional. Battlestar Galactica is not supposed to be one of the kinds of shows which we are always comfortable watching. On one level I think this is a not too subtle comment on the practices of the US military today. However, it is also an indicator of how far out of bounds Admiral Cain has slipped. She has put a sadist in charge of interrogation. Even if one were to accept the efficacy of torture there are other methods to conduct it other than rape. The fact that this was the method chosen by the interrogator indicates that he is more concerned with satisfying his own urges than with obtaining reliable information (indeed his methods have rendered the valuable captive Six catatonic). It's also a good way to get Helo and the Chief involved in a violent confrontation. If this guy were doing what would probably be standard fleet practice of aggressive questioning they probably would never have interuppted. But the extreme nature of his sadistic torturing led them to fly in like the cavalry and led to the confrontation between Galactica and Pegasus.
  • Excellent Cliffhanger. Waiting for next episode

This is an awesome episode where I'm just left guessing whats going to happen. The cliffhanger at the end, with the two battlestars attacking each other is epic.

I'm dying to see the next episode, and wish it would be released!!!!!!!!!!

(and hoping so much that its not coming out in jan 2006)
  • WOW!!!!

Another great episode. I felt that Admiral Cain was way over the edge. You can even look at her crew and see fear from them when she gives the order to attack the Galactica. The Chief still loves Sharon or at least still cares for her, which really showed when he and Helo stopped the officer from attacking Sharon. Apollo and Starbuck being sent to the Pegagus was a joke. Like they are going to follow orders any better over there. Starbuck left to go get the new stealth viper to do her own recon.

Mutiny!
  • CDR Adama is the classic military hero. (Possible spoilers)

This is another example of a well-written character brought to life by an excellent actor. The way that Adama reliquished command to ADM Cain, with out question or hesitation, shows that, even though he obviously has more experience, he follows the chain of command, no matter how is affects him. Adama would have been an admiral, had he not gotten out of the service for those years (how ever many there were.) It looked like ADM Cain was trying to bait him into a situation that she could use as an excuse to remove him from command (note the looks that they exchanged with Roslin.) EJO proves again to be an excellent actor, showing Adama as a battle-hardened veteran, not wanting to take orders from this \"new kid,\" but honor-bound to follow the chain of command. Kudos to you, EJO.
  • Excellent addition to the story line.

I was wondering when they would find some new internal bikering to add a new dimension to the story line. I knew that all the strife could not come from the cylon threat, there had to be something from within the human fleet to make it interesting. people react to danger in such a variety of ways and I was wondering if someone would not see cylon prisoners has an excuse to stop acting human.... I guess I was not the only one who saw that coming.
  • One damn-fine episode

"Pegasus" shows exactly why some critics call Battlestar the best show on T.V. The writing was brilliant, the plot was intense as all hell, and the ending left me wanting more. I don't think I've ever seen a more dramatic or disturbing scene than the rape/interrogation scene. Now I have to wait 3 damn months for a new episode. Shat.
  • Thoroughly engaging.

This episode had me glued to my seat. In catching up on episodes I've missed (in this case, watching the entire season in a short time span) I tend to "skim", with my finger hovering on "fast forward". There was no skimming in this episode. I enjoyed the interaction between Cain and Adama and the interaction between the two crews. I enjoyed watching how each crew treated the cylons. I felt for Cylon Boomer. Sodomy is never excusable and the fact that Cain didn't seem to take this into account when Tyrol and Helo were on "trial" (such as it) is bothersome for many reasons.

This is one of my favourite episodes of the series thus far.
  • SUCH A GREAT EPISODE !!! Astonishing, disturbing, passionate ! DO NOT MISS THIS ONE !

The episode starts with joy and hope and pride as we discover that another battlestar has survived. It keeps going with anxiety, worry and fear as we wonder how everyone and everything (being so different from one ship to another) will work together. And it ends with...with...how to describe this...guts torn appart, feeling of rebellion, anger, bitterness. Oh My, Michelle Forbes gets the worst out of me on that episode, she's just perfect on the part ! it's such a dark episode..;and what a cliffangher !
  • Another battlestar is found! A blessing for the ragtag fleet? Or a new way to hell?

Such a nice way to link the old and the new BSGs, even with the cliffhanger at the end.
    But don’t get me wrong: it works perfectly within this new show. If you never watched the 70s BSG, the only thing that you’ll be missing is the similarities I will mention, but the episode works on its own.

In short: while fleeing from the Cylons, Galactica comes across the unimaginable: another battlestar survived, the Pegasus, commanded by Admiral Cain. A Commander Cain was Pegasus’ commander in the 70s. Both Cains share some traits: they’re hawks, while Adama is a dove (well, not so much in this new version). Both Cains take advantage of Adama’s trust (I will not interfere in your command, Adama, says the new Cain; next thing, she’s unifying crews, transferring even Adama’s son to Pegasus, judging two crew members from the Galactica summarily on the Pegasus: did she expect Bill to accept that kind of treatment?).

But there are differences: our new Cain is an Admiral; and it’s a she, the third sex change in the new series (will there be a female-to-male switch? I guess not, after all I remember only three female characters in the old BSG, Adama’s daughter Athena, the socialator-turned-nurse Cassiopeia and Sheba, Commander Cain’s daughter. Well, we could always have Admiral Cain’s son fall for Starbuck ;-)
    Anyway, the new tension between Cain and Adama is not sexual, it’s rank-related. Though Adama says he can take orders (he tells the President something like I’ve been taking orders during my entire career), it takes little to push him to and over the brink of mutiny. Because at the end of the episode Adama order one of his Raptors to board to recover two of his men (I want my men back).

Questions I had while watching this episode:
    -how did Pegasus’ fighters survive in combat against Cylons? One of them sported the silhouettes of over 40 Cylon Raiders, which should be impossible, since they’re newer fighters, therefore susceptible to Cylon hacking.
    -I had thought Baltar might be insane, but now I think he’s plain stupid. Let’s see, we find a new copy of Number Six, kept prisoner in the Pegasus. He gets to interrogate her. He’s going to use the carrot, since Cain’s people have already used the stick (beaten her almost to death, and there are allusions the crew might have gang-raped her). OK up to here. But... he confesses to her his whole adventure with another Six on Caprica. Can’t this man keep his mouth shut? He’s in an interrogation cell, which is surely bugged!
    -when saluting a female officer, shouldn’t you say “yes ma’am” (well, in this case “aye ma’am”, she’s an Admiral)? That’s the impression I had gotten watching JAG anyway.
    -we’ve gone up from beating and torturing Cylons for information to raping them (and not really for information, after just a couple of questions). And almost as disturbing as the frustrated rape scene (which ends with the rapist from Pegasus dead) is, I found the scene where those crewmembers from Pegasus were boasting of how they had “enjoyed” their own Cylon.
    -Cain was not going to accept orders from a civilian President before Adama’s rebellion. Which side will Roslyn take now?
    -In the OS, Cain finally came around to Adama’s point of view, apparently sacrificing Pegasus to protect “the ragtag fleet”. Would our new Cain take this step? I frankly don’t think so. (A nice twist would be an idea that many fanfic writers have used: Pegasus beats the odds in a three to one battle, is thought to be destroyed but only gets heavily damaged, and later rejoins the fleet, apparently a plot element that would have been used in the second season of BSG that never came to be.)

Pity we’ll have to wait a few months to get the end to this two-parter. That’s the only reason I didn’t give it a 10
  • Pegasus

Pegasus was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of surprise and tension as Admiral Cain decided to integrate the two Battlestar crews. It was interesting to see how everyone interacted with each other. Colonel Tigh learns some disturbing news about Cain, Tyrol and Helo learn about the Cylon "Interrogator" and Baltar tries to help the Pegasus Cylon prisoner. There was a major shift in power and the ripples started to show right away. The overall production was amazing. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • The one where: they find another battlestar! Yay!

In television land, this is what I'd like to call a jaw-dropper. A mind-blower. A new bar for an already stellar piece of science-fiction storytelling. ''Pegasus'' is, without a doubt, one of the strongest episodes of BSG, and one of the most compelling hours of sci-fi I've had the pleasure of watching.

This was one tough cookie.

What begins as an hour of celebration – as Galactica discover the presence of another battlestar ship – soon descends into brutality, rape, power plays and possible character deaths. To say there are a few shocking instances here would be putting it very lightly. I mean, I'd win ''understatement of the year'' by all accounts.

BSG has always been a gritty sci-fi show, but the rape scene involving Sharon was completely unexpected and made me feel very uneasy. I simply wasn't prepared for the series to take me there. Gold acting stars to Grace Park during said scenes, they were particularly tough to watch because of her authentic performance. I was glad to see Helo and Tyrol arrive to offer up some much needed ass kicker-y (and accidental deathery); however, it has only made matters worse as Admiral Cain has sentenced them both to death.

Michelle Forbes is alarmingly compelling as Admiral Cain. She has such a vital screen presence, it would be difficult to note any other actor in the role. Ruled with an iron fist, Pegasus certainly serves as the road not taken for Galactica, something that could have easily happened had Bill Adama not recovered, and Tigh was left in charge with his serpent wife whispering in his ear.

Gaius' scenes with a captive Six were really well done. Completely traumatised by her excessive physical and sexual abuse, it came as such a shocker to see such a defeated version of Six lying helpless, bloodied and bruised on the cold floor. I think head-Six's reaction is what really stirred my emotions, cos she really broke down and away from her usual self.

The final few moments are hair-raising. Adama has sent a marine squad to retrieve his men, and Cain has launched vipers on her end, in retaliation. It doesn't get any better than this.

And like I said, this was one tough cookie.

• This is a review of the specially-extended version of "Pegasus" as found on the retail complete series DVD boxed set.

And if there wasn't a better argument for BSG to go 90-minute episodes of 13 episodes a season, I dunno what is.

Pegasus Extended begins with a scene the broadcast version never saw, and continues in that vein all the way to its dramatic conclusion. The extended scenes with Cain and Adama, Caprica and Baltar...aren't just fillers, they are hugely pivotal additions and really should have been in the opiginal broadcast. If you haven't already purchased Season Two - and I urge you to purchase the official DVD's - not rely on some BitStream download, then take a long time to watch Pegasus, and marvel at what had to left on the cutting-room floor to get the episode to fit into its alloted time. A great episode transformed into a tremendous one.
  • The Galactica discovers that another battlestar survived, but things don't bode well

Whoa, intense !!! A little painful to watch at times, but this is the type of fiction I live for., it was compleatly engaging and compleatly believable . That was a painful cliffhanger to leave us on, but a great episode before that. Actor who played Cain was awsome, loved her as Ensign RO too
  • A very charged episode with some powerful emotional moments. Modern take on the Original BSG episode "The Living Legend"

Classic Battlestar Galactica fans will barely recognize this as the new Galactica's version of the original episode "The Living Legend." The episode contains the same sort of disagreement on how things should be done that went on between Lorne Green and Lloyd Bridges in the original BSG episode, but also provides a lot more. This episode exposes the crueler side of humanity. Between the rather disturbing image of the Pegasus' Cylon prisoner and the attempted rape of Boomer, we see that Admiral Cain and some of the Pegasus' crew represent the evil, ruthless characteristics of mankind.

As with most of the other BSG episodes, this one draws you in and makes you feel the intensity and emotion of the situation the characters are in. The ending of the episode is suspenseful and leaves you excited for the conclusion (much the same as what occured with the first season conclusion). I would have to say I haven't found a BSG episode that I have disliked yet, and this one is definately at the top of my list for best so far in this series. Some people who have seen it were uneasy, couldn't believe that they would air the attempted rape scene and thought that the episode could've done without it, but I definately think that outside of it being essential to the plot, that scene furthers the tension between the two crews and really gives you an idea of the emotion sensed by the characters. It also shows a lot about Tyrol and Helo, and just how much the both love Boomer, Cylon or not.
  • Woooooooooow!!

This was the best episode in the series and definatly a worthy ending to the season.

Were to start. After fleeing the cylons for weeks the galactica finnally gets some good news. Theyve found a fellow battlestar the pegasus. at firts all seems wel and the two crews are intergarating well. Though visable tensions are present.(most nottably because the galactica is housing a cylon with which we all know helo is having a relationship with. The pegasus deals with cylons differently and we are sopon subjected to the appaling conditions their cylon a nuber six modal has had to go through.

The same fate lies in store for the galacticas sharon. The pegasus colnel attempts to rape sharon as a "method of information extraction" however helo and the chief fight of his advance however his subsequent murder finds them both court marshalled and facing death. the Adama steps up an invasion force to get his men back and tensions reach boiling point...
  • Awesome show but...January AAAGHHHHHH

This is why I bought the DVD...Because I knew this stupid break was coming.

I have been surfing the net and have found some interesting things...

The fans of the old series are really freaked out about the new show especially this episode. But people complained about Stargate SG-1 ruining the chances for a Stargate movie sequel...um like that was going to happen! Dukes of Hazard truests attacked the new movie as well as well as Charlies Angels what ever...

great cliffhanger and I was surprised the show was over. time slipped by...
  • FINALLY an episode with teeth!

An interesting and very exciting episode that finally starts to show how the characters are realistically connected to each other and makes the point that they are a social unit fighting for a common goal. Eventhough the military is in charge there should be a more prominent human point to the fighting!
  • Wow, what can i say its just perfect to set up the finale of the series.

Just a simply amazing episode. You could tell as soon as the crew from the Pegasus entered Galatica that they where different, battle hardened!

But the events that unfolded where amazing. The pegasus crew, like there commanding officer are battle hardened and act accordingly. They have come in taken command and had no disregard for Adama or his wishes. Commander Cain is like the perfect soldier who totally believes in the cause no matter what the consequences! The court marshal quick and brutal with the obvious result. The officers did wrong and will be punished. No if's buts or maybes, no chance for them to explain, just following orders and the execution to be instant.

What she didn't count on was the reluctence of Commander Adama to give up his crew so easily. Which sets up an agonising wait to see how the events unfold. Will the Pegasus fighters actually fire on the Galactica? Or will sense pre-vail and avoid the unnecsary slaughter and waste of the few remaining figthers which have so valianetly defended Galactica so far.

Its a tough call but i feel sense will pre-vail and eventually they will combine forces to combat this new Cylon threat.
  • What TV should look like.

I am a big fan of the last series. My favorite episode happens to be the re-uniting of the Pegasus with the Galatica. I liked how they merged the two fleets togther in the old series.

So far I must say I have not been let done by the new series. The plots are invitingly new with that hint of the old series. The new Pegasus really rocks he boat. The pitting of the two ships is essential to pull off the parallel story line. I like how the different twist has made it even more exciting.

I wait with baited breath till January for the next installement of one of the best shows on TV.
  • And I thought last season's finale was a cliffhanger. At least then I knew that Adama would pull through. Here, we're left with a true cliffhanger right in the middle of what looks to be an epic space batle. This show rarely disappoints.

While the crew of the Pegasus filled out all expectations of a cookie-cutter crew set to counter the Galactica, the episode did throw a few loops. I knew the Pegasus Cylon was going to be one of a couple characters, I just thought it might have worked better to be a character introduced a couple episodes ago.

Other than that the finale was great. The final shot sets up what's bound to be a great opener next season.
  • Do robots dream of electric sheep? The root of the story is how do you treat your enemies. Is it ok to kill them on the battlefield, but not ok to rape and torture them in private? Are those who commit war crimes our friends? To be continued...

Let's just get the obvious out of the way. Rape is bad. Depictions of rape are bad. However, this show put up a disclaimer just before the scence to be sure the kiddies are out of the room. If you are going to have to insert a rape storyline, then the least you can do is warn people. This show did that.

The arrival of the Pegasus has been expected by anyone who knew anything about the original series. Michelle Forbes (of Star Trek:TNG and 24) is "Admiral" Cain. Obviously the two crews were going to butt heads. Who knew they were going to play the Pegasus as a band of loonatics and power freaks?

This all escalates to a killing and an instant court martial. Apparently on the Pegausus, the accused are to sentenced, tried, and hanged.

This show is looking for a new arc right now. This may be the beginning of it. If so, let the good times roll.
  • Like a dream.

During my first watch-thru this episode felt really rushed and I was surprised(and a little pissed) that they wouldn't be taking more time with what was one of the biggest plot developments in the series. But after thinking about it and rewatching some of it, I have to say that it was a brilliant choice. I almost felt helpless as these shocking and horrifying scenes keep coming one after another. With no chance to process or come to terms with what I'm seeing, I'm left feeling off balance and every scene after has that much more impact. In times of distress you always just want a few extra seconds to try and understand what's happening, by not giving the viewer that the drama and suspense were increased ten fold.

The chaos started not long after the arrival of the Pegasus, with Adama losing command of the fleet to Admiral Cain. Again there was no break as their scene was interspersed with Tigh and his Pegasus counterpart's scene, wherein he layed out the fate of the Pegasus' last XO. Fisk laughing it off as a joke only made it that much more disturbing.

Baltar's scenes with the Cylon prisoner aboard Pegasus were also brilliantly done. I loved how Six's eyes stayed on Thorn with a look of pure hatred as she's almost bristling with rage and contempt over her copy's treatment. I thought Baltar's description of his relationship with Six made for a heartbreakingly beautiful moment. And I'll just say it once now but it applies to the whole episode, the music was brilliant, like more so than usual.

The scenes during and leading up to Thorn's attempted "interrogation" of Sharon definitely had my ass closer to the end of my couch than any before them. With the Pegasus crew being so cavalier in discussing having their way with the captured Six, and their plans to do the same to Sharon once Thorn finished with her, I almost felt sick as the shots of Sharon being held down started. Honestly, this show has never come close to eliciting that much reaction from me. As much as I love Chief's character(Helo I'm still lukewarm on), no matter what happens to him my only regret will be that it was his first blow that killed Thorn and that Chief didn't get to beat him to death slowly.

The final moments came close to rivaling the suspense of the scenes that spawned them. I loved the cold blue lighting of the Pegasus' CIC to contrast with the warm, red interior of the Galactica as Adama and Cain squared off. I swear Cain's line, "Commander, why are you launching vipers?" gave me chills, her delivery was so perfectly authoritative and almost malevolent, especially on the word "commander." I know it's a small thing but I rewound it like three times it was so good.

I can't decide yet if this beat out Kobol's Last Gleaming Pt. 2 as my favorite episode, but it's definitely close.
  • Silence of the gun

We might sneer and point and the admiral who comes out of the woodwork. We might point at this person and claim that we are better then this, that we are the true measure of command. But this episode and the ones following clearly show that there is a fine line between being a military genius and a looning fruitcake. Until we get there we do now know what we will be. The silence of the gun is only quiet and peaceful at the surface, but it deepens the abyss that follows. So how do each of us react when behind us is death and annihilation? Are we noble or will we move standards? Season 1 cleary showed how Adama had to move the bar more then once. Perhaps he only got lucky, but this episode clearly leaves the bitter taste behind that 'no choie' is a reality, and that what makes this series so amazing.
    war is plain, simple and always dirty. That message comes clearly across.
< 1 2 3