Battlestar Galactica

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

• An extremely intense and powerful episode. The entire Galactica world is turned upside down as Admiral Cain and the Pegasus take over. Questions arise about the morality of the Pegasus crew, from the brutal Cylon interrogator to the leader, Admiral Cain.

Wow! Talk about hard-hitting episodes. I feel like I got punched in the gut. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but it almost feels like I was in a fight after watching this episode.

This was one of the best episodes of the entire series while it further declares that this show is NOT FOR KIDS. Galactica encounters another battlestar, the more modern Pegasus, and its commanding officer, Admiral Cain. After the initial euphoria wears off, Adama and the Galactica crew begin to bristle under the increasingly dominant role that Cain and the Pegasus play in their lives.

Though Cain treads lightly at first, she begins to enforce the chain of command, which finds her at the top. She transfers Starbuck and Apollo to the Pegasus where Apollo becomes a Raptor crew member. Though Baltar is brought to Pegasus to examine their Cylon captive, Lt. Thorne boards Galactica to interrogate Sharon.

Thorne is known as the "Cylon interrogator." His men boast about his techniques, which include sexual assault. Helo and Tyrol listen as the Pegasus crewmen boast about having "taken their turns" with their captured Cylon prisoner, a brutalized and mentally broken copy of Number Six. Cally, who had killed the first Sharon, cannot bear to listen and walks out.

Meanwhile we see Lt. Thorne beginning his "interrogation" of Sharon. It begins with several slaps with the back of his hand and continues with punches. This was difficult to watch and roiled my stomach more than any roller coaster could. It was a truly disturbing scene and not for the faint of heart. The abuse and the ribald boasting of the Pegasus crewmen really helped one to feel the sense of helplessness experienced not only by Sharon but also by Helo and Tyrol.

Despite the antagonism between Helo and Tyrol over Sharon, they both realize that the remaining Sharon is in danger. They race to stop Thorne as he prepares to break Sharon using his "special technique." SciFi showed an advisory before airing this scene. The advisory was necessary as this was an intense scene involving the physical and attempted sexual abuse of a female character, whether or not she was a Cylon. Helo and Tyrol attack Thorne and the guard. In the melee, Thorne is killed.

Cain has the two men transported to Pegasus for court-martial proceedings, despite Adama's protestations. Cally pleads with Adama and vouches for Tyrol's character. Adama agrees that he is a good man. Once Adama learns that both men have been found guilty almost immediately and sentenced to be executed, he decides to take action. The outcome of the conflict is not shown. Rather, it is "TO BE CONTINUED."

Tigh, who has flaws of his own, may have learned about a shocking skeleton in Cain's closet. The single-minded focus and violent approach that Pegasus has taken in the struggle against the Cylons may come from the top, from Admiral Cain. Tigh's failings are mere foibles in comparison with Cain's. Has she violated the same moral law that the biblical Cain did?

The episodes this season have continued to throw the Galactica and the fleet into turmoil. Early in the season, we saw the division of the crew and the fleet as Apollo and Zarek followed Roslin to Kobol. Now we see the growing dominance of Cain and the Pegasus crew over Adama and Galactica's forces. Producers Moore and Eick refuse to let us settle in and get comfortable with our surroundings on Battlestar Galactica. It feels less like a weekly serialized drama and more like a messy, random group of events that affect realistic and believable characters. Some of these events can be extraordinarily harsh and brutal, as in the case of Lt. Thorne and his actions. What remains consistent is the twisting, organic nature of the storyline, which doesn't seem to follow a predetermined path. An extraordinary episode, even if it's tough to watch.

[NOTE: Viewers uncomfortable with scenes of violence against women and with realistic depictions of attempted sexual assault should be aware of the intense nature of a key scene in this episode.]
  • Black becomes white. White becomes black. There's a whole lot of grey in this sort-of finale.

It's clear television writers like to turn the world of their characters upside down, and none more so than in Battlestar Galactica. Initially, the show was more or less just about a fleet of survivors fleeing for their lives from the Cylons.

That was all well and good. But the Cylon threat wasn't enough for good entertainment value. Sure they're imposing, but apart from a few models that look (and even feel) exactly like humans, it's hard to put a face on them. So Season 2, so far at least, has been much less about defence against the Cylons, and much more about internal conflicts. I'm not talking about the 'Sir, I don't think that's a good idea' conflicts that sent Star Trek Enterprise to an early grave. I'm talking insults and fistfights, treason and mutiny. It took seven episodes for the fleet to become a happy(ish) family once again after the chaos of the Season 1 Finale. I didn't think there was any way for the Season 2 Finale to be better. But it was, because the world got turned upside down. Suddenly, it's humans who are being portrayed as vicious and evil, and the Cylons as helpless victims. It's a strange time, to be sure, to be sure...

And so in this, the midseason finale (what a strange term, I've never encountered it before, and don't ever expect such a phrase to be used on British TV), the fleet come across another surviving Battlestar, the Pegasus. At first, it's all jubilation and welcome, but things soon become unnerving. Firstly, the Pegasus' leader is an Admiral, and outranks Commander Adama. So our trusted military leader of the last two seasons is no longer in charge, despite his closeness with the President, simply because of military protocol. Added to this, we discover that Admiral Cain (Michelle Forbes from Star Trek:TNG and 24) is a bit of a hardass bitch, and is keen to shake up the structure of the Galactica because she deems the crew to be inefficient from previous mistakes and failures and yes, mutiny. To be honest, she has a very good point, but the viewer is blinded by the affection we've developed for the Galactica crew.

That's the unnerving part, I wasn't really ready for the disturbing part. Like the Galactica crew, the Pegasus also has a Cylon prisoner aboard. If you'd thought Galactica's Cylon had been treated badly, you'd be wrong. The Pegasus is proof. The prisoner, who turns out to be a copy of the femme fatale that lingers in Dr. Baltar's mind, has been beaten and raped almost to death. The Cylons have killed billions of humans, and yet the humans are the only ones who seem to be showing enjoyment in their malice. Random Pegasus officers make jokes about having a little bit of 'Oh yeah, oh yeah' with the prisoner, and even Cally shows disgust. The same Cally who once shot a Cylon in cold blood just because she was a machine. Worse still, Nasty Interrogation Man decides to 'question' the Galactica's prisoner Sharon, a character we've already been made to feel at least some sympathy for. Question is the wrong word. He does nothing of the sort. After beating her senseless, he's just about ready to rape her (and has possibly even started) when Helo and Tyrol intervene. But even they aren't saints. Whether by accident or intent, Tyrol kills the interrogator. The pair are put on trial by Admiral Cain, and it is swiftly decided that they should be executed. The episode ends with Adama deciding that it's time for him to take a turn at the whole mutiny thing.

What an amazing way to end the season. I never expected things could get so heated in just one episode. It's obviously not the first TV series to try to make good of the bad guys and vice versa (new Doctor Who did it with a Dalek), but it's the most effective I've seen. What made the torture scene so much better was that it was followed by Dr. Baltar giving food to the Pegasus' Cylon, and telling her he would take care of her, before crying over her horrific condition. The line between what separates the humans and the Cylons has become even more blurred, to the point that I find it difficult to have less sympathy for a Cylon than for a human. Bravo to the writers, for daring to write about such a difficult topic, and kudos for pulling it off to make the best episode of Battlestar Galactica so far, and the best finale in a long while. I know, I know, it wasn't technically a finale, but what am I supposed to say? The next episode, and the conclusion to the Galactica/Pegasus showdown, won't be for at least three months. Sob.
  • So there's more survivors...

This show is genious, every episode is filled with greatnes, and this ep is no exeption. Allthough I hate the midseason system, I must admit that for a season finale thisone had just enough cliffhangers. I'm desperately looking foreward til January, so we get to see whats to become of Pegasus.

There were a rape sceene in this episode, and that was truly painful to watch. I love the grayzone that Boomer makes by beeing wounerable as a human, but still she conducts the cylon missions. So we sympathise with her, but after all shes a cylon. Gayuses struggle between his love for six and his loyalty to humanity is also a nice touch. It started out as a black and white goodguys/ badguys series, but now I'm sensing some shades of gray. (well, I have done THAT for a while now). Well done showmakers :)
  • Do you feel sympathetic towards the cylons?

In this episode, we see a different side of Cylons. Or should I say the way humans treat them. We find Number Six locked up in a room in the Pegasus, beaten up almost to death and abused. Gaius' expression is very touching. It is one of the first time that we see a sympathetic reaction from him for someone other than himself. It shows how horrible the actions of the crew were on Number Six.
    In addition, they almost get to Sharon. Major Thorne tries to rape her before being stopped by Helo and the Chief. I found myself rooting for the Cylons and suddenly realized why they would want to eliminate humans.
    It seems that nothing is always black or white. Sometimes things are grey...
  • Best episode of Battlestar Galactica. Period.

This is one of the greats in science fiction and is the best episode of the series. It has a great storyline and a nice pace, as Admiral Cain appears friendly at first and then mutates into a (fill-in-the-blank). While extremely disturbing, the scene where Sharon is nearly raped is very well-done. It goes back and forth between Sharon being interrogated and Helo getting more angry with the men from Pegasus talking about how they abused their Cylon prisoner. It heightens in intensity until the climax of the scene, when the Chief and Helo stop Thorne from raping her and accidentally kill him. James Callis shines as Gaius Baltar in his last scene in the episode, as he talks with the abused Number Six who is being held in Pegasus. When he talks to her, he does Gaius' emotions excellently, as he admits, for the first time, that he is in love with Humber Six. The cliffhanger is a force to be reckoned with, and is one of the best cliffhangers that I have seen to date. And I've seen some amazing cliffhangers. The music throughout the entire episode, and most especially at the end is utterly amazing. The episode needs a soundtrack all too itself. At the end of the episode, the music is at first strings, showing the intensity between Cain and Adama. Then it combines strings and percussion, showing the increasing intensity as Galactica launches it's fighters against Pegasus. It then goes into full-blown percussion, as Pegasus launches its fighters to counterattack, making for a stunning cliffhanger. This episode is, from beginning to end, amazing. It is without doubt the best episode of Battlestar Galactica to date. And I cannot wait for Resurrection Ship.
  • Galactica encounters the Battlestar Pegasus and it’s commander Admiral Nelena Cain.

Painful, Nerve-wracking, well written, not my favorite story line. All these could be used as this episode's classification.

This episode takes part it’s action from the notorious incident at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. The Pegasus and it’s crew dehumanized the Cylons despite their human appearance. This made it “okay” for Thorne, the “Cylon interrogator”, to brutalize and sexually assault Cylon prisoners. This dehumanizing would seem very logical. Cylons are machines aren’t they? The problem to the Galactica crew is that Sharon was a crewmate and they see “her” as an enemy have not a thing. This humanization results in their (and our) revulsion at the interrogation technique used by the Pegasus’ Cylon interrogator.

Admiral Cain use of summary judgment to convict Helo and Tyrol makes the story of her shooting the Pegasus XO for disobeying an order believable. For the uninitiated actions such as Cain’s, while expedient, are considered crimes despite the war zone status. The same is true for the brutal and dehumanizing treatment of prisoners in Iraq.

I gave this episode top marks despite it’s content. The script was well crafted and acting made the script almost too believable.
  • The fleet discovers that another battlestar, the Pegasus, has survived the cylon onslaught. It takes little time, however, for friction between Adama and the Pegasus' commander to bring about a showdown between the fleet's two battlestars.

This is one of the better episodes of an already wonderful series. Once again, the performances are good, and the effects are as impressive as anything currently on television.

I particularly enjoyed the interaction between Adama and Admiral Cain, who outranks him. The writers understand that one of the best ways to explore character is through the introduction of conflict. Through the actions of Cain and other members of the Pegasus crew, it becomes clear that the greatest threat to our heroes may not ultimately come from the cylons, but from other humans.

Overall, this was a very exciting and compelling entry in this series. Not to give anything away, but the episode ends in a way that had me dying to see what happens next.
  • Caught between the ruthlessly of the cylons and an admiral Cain drunk with power, Adama and his crew have yet once again to fight for the preservation of their human and moral qualities.

What happens when you strip people of common sense, when you lose all perspective, hope and empathy, and the only thing you have left is to blindly follow orders, to accept authority without questions asks? You get dehumanized.
    In ‘Pegasus’ we are shown an alternate vision of how the battlestar could have been run. After the initial euphoria, the mood quickly becomes grim and oppressive. The relief of finding another battlestar who survived the cylons attack, quickly turns into a clash between the characters Cain and Adama and their respective crews. Cain is right about Adama, his empathy could be perceived as a flaw, were it not that this is exactly what distincts humans from the cylons. Although the cylons built the 12 models as closely human possible by incorporating emo-software, they will never be able to grasp the aspect of empathy and caring.

Sharon for exemple, when asked of she’s in love with Helo, answers “you’re the father of my child, you’re are the first in my heart”. She is capable of feelings of love, but not of love itself. Furthermore she can’t comprehend the complexity of the feelings brought on by her formal model with chief Tyrol. The dynamics of such love triangular are very interesting to watch, for it is in their inner nature that we see how the crew and more specific Helo and Tyrol cope with different situations. Sharon, although an I.A. is not reduced to an object, a thing, but is act upon as a being distinctly different from humans. The crew on the Pegasus have lost that distinction and in that, their humanity.

• can this show get any better

well i have to say that was the best episode ive seen so far had me on the edge of my seat from beggining to end

im loving that theres another battlestar but hating the fact that adama as been out ranked
    (no way that will last long)
    i thought having a new battlestar would have brought the colany closer and would have given them more hope but i was dead wrong because were as the galactica have been doing as they plz (to an extent) the pegasus as been under strick orders so when they came together all hell broke loose and that was only the tip of the iceburg

was a great scene were Helo and Tyrol burst in to sharons holding cell and killed that Cylon interrogator cos as soon as he hit sharon i wanted to hit him my self was that intense
    it then got better when they werent given a fair trail for the murder and were sentenced to death which really peed of adama so he sent out vipers and a rescue team which then peed of the Admiral Cain who also sent out vipers
    it then ended and i was laying on the floor in tears knowing i had to wait till 2006 to c the next episode lol
  • Muddy Brilliant, evil tyranical dictator Admiral Cain shows what an Iron fist will force good people to resort to.

Absolutely brilliant, trials pending executions, muntiny its got it all....A proverbial synopsis of humatity itself. Good v Evil.

Although abit strong for some more sensitive viewers the rape scene of Boomer and the realisation as to how Cain's cylon prisoner came to be such a shocking state clearly shows what depths humanity will drop to during war.

Mid season finales should be outlawed can't wait till 2006!
  • I should give this a 0.5...

For making us wait until JANUARY to see the end of this thrilling episode.

It turns out the Galactica wasn't the only Battlestar to have survived the Cylon attack. The Pegasus, commanded by Admiral Cain (an interesting Biblical reference to be sure), and her crew of what can only be described as a bunch of priates. Frankly, any time where Baltar is the friendly, sane guy, Helo and Tyrol are the males thinking the least with their little heads, and Tigh comes off as a comparatively good XO means something is amiss.

After everyone's met their counterparts, we find that Pegasus has their own Cylon prisoner, a badly-beaten Six. We are also regaled with tales from the Pegasus deck crew of her physical and sexual abuse, which is even enough to sicken Cally, who murdered a Cylon only a couple episodes ago. Most of the abuse comes from the hands of an interrogator, who soon goes to "interrogate" our very own Boomer. This scene, along with the Pegasus crew telling of their own tales of gang-raping their prisoner, makes this possibly the hardest Galactica to watch. But it's also the reason why it's the best show on television.
  • They did it again...

Wow! what can i say?another great cliffhanger.I was looking foward for this episode and i did not got dissapointed at all.It was great to see the Pegasus again after all this years a little different of course i was skeptical about Michelle Forbes but she did her best as Admiral Cain i was hopping they use Dirk Bennedict for this role but she pulled it off.Great acting by everyone but the priceless moment for me was Adama expression when he found out about Helo and tyrol "trial" and when he took the desition to launch the vipers this is as mad as i seen him on the background the attack on the Cylon fleet and this new mistery ship.It its just me or all the Pegasus crew are jerks.and the cliffhanger i never ever thought there were the posibility of a Pegasus vs Galactica confrontation great writing!!!
  • Overall, this is without a doubt, the best episode that this season delivered so far.

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

With so few materials to cover, the writers best choice would be put new character or new material to cover and they did the best bringing another colonial battlestar – Pegasus. But as we can expect, this only could bring a new problem too. And what a problem, with so many people and Adama superior (was the best way to create the tension) all our characters little by little find their problems. This is without a doubt one of the most interesting conflict phase I have saw in BG. The climax of this episode was again in Sharron side, the level of tension was simply great and this provided another great complication for Chief. The ending is just what you can expect, simply great.

Presentation Phase - » (9/10) very interesting,
    Complication Phase - » (10/10) one of the best, different sides, different eyes,
    Climax Phase - » (9/10) high suspense,
    Ending - » (9/10) great ending,

This episode progressed a lot if you take all the happening in consideration, so hard to say if there was filler, no flaws noticed and a storyline where I cannot see nothing that turned me off.

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (10/10) fine,
    Time and Scene Management - » (10/10) perfect,
    Plot Details/Holes- » (10/10) fine,
    Storyline -» (10/10) one of the most interesting Storylines,

The main focus is drama because of the conflicts and then we have a great tension.

Drama - » (10/10),
    Suspense/Tension - » (9/10),

• Just an absolute cliffhanger and a half - pulp TV, that actually gets a family debating subjects such as treatment of the enemy.

I hate the Pegasus.

I hate its Admiral, its CAG, its XO, its interrogation chief, its deck chief, its treatment of prisoners.

I can't believe they treat prisoners like that. Just sickening. How do you follow orders from an Admiral who condones such things? Poor Six, poor Sharon.

BUT, this episode was simply majestic.

I'm glad the rape scene wasn't too graphic - it didn't need to be - just seeing Sharon (YES, she's a Cylon, but to me she's still part-human also) beaten followed by her arms pulled in front of her, and then the rapist pulling down his pants was disturbing enough.

I think this episode was about dehumanising your enemy - if you successfully do that, it makes it easier to perform all sorts of atrocities on them.

I cheered when both Helo and the Chief ran to her aid though. :)

There was other important thiongs going on in this episode, but for me, it was the dehumanising of the enemy that was an important subject for me.

• One of the finest series on television

Just to add to the other reviewers, this is a perfect example of how Battlestar Galactica has become one of the finest shows doing the rounds.

Having listened to the podcasts accompanying the episodes it's very interesting seeing where Ronald D. Moore is taking the series. Can't wait for the concluding part of this story and we're only half way through the series!!
  • Differing methods of survival, seen through new eyes, and both found wanting

I said it before, and I’ll say it again: I truly despise this “summer finale” business that the SFC consistently shoves down our collective throats. It forces the producers and writers to segment their season arcs in a way that doesn’t always fit the traditional three-act story structure that those arcs are built around. When the writers force it, it doesn’t work very well; “Stargate: Atlantis” is a good example. This series, however, took the opportunity to touch on the original series (thematically, anyway) while taking advantage of the fact that the first season arcs came to a relative conclusion.

Adama and his crew have gone through some trying times over the past 20+ episodes, and as many detractors have pointed out, some decisions by the command staff have been questionable at best. In particular, Adama has allowed a number of things that would never be overlooked in a traditional military structure. He tries to make the crew a family, and he treats them as such. In the face of extreme adversity, Adama’s flaw is often his compassion.

As I mentioned in my comments for the previous episode, one criticism against the series is the deeply flawed nature of every character. None of them are sterling officers with a sense of protocol; they all have agendas and concerns of their own, and those often get in the way of true unity. But that begs the question: would a strict enforcement of martial authority be any better?

In keeping with the concept of the series in terms of its characterizations, the crew of the Pegasus may be following the chain of command, performing as one would expect during a war, but they are hardly pristine and perfect officers. If anything, that strict and regimented lifestyle, when sustained over time with no prospect of an end in sight, must inevitably have an outlet for the negative energy.

As the episode marched on and the depravity of the Pegasus crew was revealed, I was struck by reports of what ordinary soldiers during the Vietnam conflict had done under vaguely similar circumstances: rape of “enemy” prisoners, for one thing. One could argue that Boomer is treated a bit too well, and that Tyrol and Helo are being played, but simply from the point of view of Boomer’s pregnancy and the opportunity to understand the Cylon agenda, it makes sense for them to keep her in good condition. The treatment of Six on Pegasus only reinforces what the Cylons think of humans.

As Ron Moore says on his podcast for the episode, the worst part is that Admiral Cain (played by the very hot Michelle Forbes) is right about Adama’s shortcomings. Of course, that doesn’t make her own methods any better, and it doesn’t give her the right to execute people without a fair hearing. Cain also fails to take into consideration all the things that Adama accomplished; first and foremost, he kept the majority of survivors alive despite issues with the civilian president and an assassination attempt. Cain has actually killed survivors to keep others in line. It’s a question of keeping the goal in sight, even under extreme circumstances. (Perhaps those justifying the gang rape of prisoners in their reviews might stop to consider what they are championing.)

Were Tyrol and Helo right to defend Boomer as they did? Hard to say, but it’s a testimony to the writers that the audience actually has sympathy for Boomer and Pegasus’ version of Six. At the very least, they were provoked. I can’t imagine what the female crew members on Pegasus thought of the men happily celebrating gang rape. I did note that Cain was dismissive of the President, who is technically in authority over her as well. That ought to be fun to watch in the second half of the story. Whatever the case, this is going to be one hell of a ball of string to unravel come January!
  • Great cliffhanger episode.

This episode of battlestar is exactly why I watch the series. Adama showed a new side on himself when he turned over his leadership to the evil female captain and again when he ordered his vipers to strike agains the other ship. I can't wait until January when the conclusion will be shown. This show also brought up questions about the treatment of human-cyclons with the cyclon-interrigator from the other ship. Although I'm no cylon lover I was very pleased when they killed him. The humans will have to set some kind of rules regarding this issue since they will more likely then not be facing this problem again.
  • The Battlestar Pegasus, thought destroyed, shows up. Admiral Cain promptly takes command, imposing her command. Following a snap court-martial, she orders the death of Helo and Tyrol. Adama launches his Vipers, determined to get his men back...

A very good episode, in which the true nature of these many characters is revealed; Adama is forced to cede command, but is unhappy with his superior officer. Lee and Starbuck are reduced to simple pilots again, flying under a bad CAG. What I liked, in accordance with RDM\'s comments, is that Admiral Cain says a lot of things which are very true. What we know, that she doesn\'t, is that however distorted, the Galactica family works very well regardless of their problems. The cliffhanger ending is well done; the image of the two squads aiming at each other sends shivers down my spine.
  • This show declares that this episode is NOT FOR KIDS. Torture, rape, and other nasty stuff

I hate the US mid season break, I do not think that it happens in any other country, not in Australia, anyway.

I give this show thee different ratings, the first a 10, for being a great episode, the second a 8 for being a two parter and the third for the long pause between dates 0.

The review

The Galataica discovers a radar blip of a large size, they think it to be a Cylon Basestar, it turns out to another Battlestar, the more modern Pegasus, and its commanding officer, Admiral Cain.

After much fanfare and celebration, the real plot of the story evolves.

The Pegasus, also has a Cylon prisoner with is the Number six (Gais Balters personal fav) she is found to be in a catatonic state, after been tortured and repeatedly raped. Baltar surmises that the Cylon Psychology can be broken or manipulated, much like our own (humans) can. In the end he declares(in the solitude interrogation room) his love for the person he knew before the war and that she was a Cylon that looked exactly like her.

Meantime, some of the Pegasus Crew is boating to Callie, Helo and the Chief, about their “conquests” with their captured Cylon, all while, the Pegasus’s Cylon interrogator is making his way and trying to have his way with Sharon. This leads to a confrontation with Helo, Chief and the Lt Thorn(interrogator), where they (Helo an Chief) rush to the aid of Sharon, and inadvertently kill (slams his head on a wall) the LT Thorn.

They are taken to the Pegasus found guilty of murder and treason, and sentenced to death.

This lead Commander Adama to sent a “Retrieval Raptor” to the Pegasus to get his men back from Admiral Cain, to which she responds, by launching her alert fighters.
    Commander Adama does likewise.

• This was a perfect cliff hanger for the first half of the season. It made you think, how would the military react without a civilian government.

The Pegasus believes they are the last survivors. They believe all humanity is gone. Primal urges and resoning takes over. I believe we have not heard of all the atrocities. When the truth comes out I think evryone will be shocked as too what Cain has let happen. The Galactica as run by Adama with the influence of civilians has been void of most of these feelings. The crew of the Peasus had no future to see. They had no earth or Kobol. They could not see an escape from the Cylons. I hope we get some flash backs in the next few episodes so we can what the crew of the Pegasus went through. I do not believe cain's story. I believe she turned tail and ran.
  • Galactica finds another Battlestar (Pegasus), that survived the initial attack. It's commander (Admiral Cain), takes fleet command, promises little changes, but fails to deliver, and chaos ensues, classic.......

Even though this episode was disturbing to me, I'm sure it was the writer's intent. Cain (and Pegasus) arrives on the scene with much fanfare, but the honeymoon quicly ends as Adama and Cain disagree on pretty much everything! The mutiny that ensues will keep me chatting w/my Sci-Fi groupies till the conclusion in Jan..... A+
  • THIS SHOW IS NOT MEANT FOR KIDS!! If it was it would be at 3p.m. and stupid Sponge Bob would be jumping all over the damn place.

Finally catching up, I watched this season ending episode and was amazed how well written, acted and directed this episode was. Most people were “shocked” about the rape scene, well here’s news for you- This show is NOT MEANT for kids!! If it was it would be at 3p.m. and stupid Sponge Bob would be jumping all over the damn place.

This episode begins with what they though was a prayer being answered –another ship survived. It soon becomes evident that the crew of the Pegasus and Galactica view things differently and this leads to friction and the inevitable “showdown”. I’m glad that Adama stood up to the Admiral and didn’t simply bend over because she outranks him. This episode clearly shows how unified the crew of the Galactica are.
  • A very hard episode to watch, but still gripping.

Like many BSG episodes, this one was very hard on the viewer. In the case of this episode, the themes of sexual assault-both of the Pegaus Six and Sharon-created some very disturbing imagery. The almost rape of Boomer is one of the most horrific scenes Galactica has yet presented.
    Still, the episode is worth watching. We get some great contrast between the crew of the Galactica and the crew of the Pegasus-particularly the conflicting command styles of Adama and Cain. This episode also explores the theme of the dehumanizing effect crisis and war has on people. The crew of the Pegasus has become almost as inhuman as the Cyclons-perhaps even worse, if you take into account the sadistic joy the Pegasus crew takes in their cruelety, vs. the cold, "robotic" attitude of most Cylons. And Adama gets to show his cool side!

All in all, a disturbing but gripping season ender.
  • Its hard for sci-fiction, or rather, any sort of television series that relies on false realities (such as fantasy) to break through into what is compassionately human.

A episode truly beyond itself. There are fewer things on television that allow themselves to exist without limitations, to be all they can be. A parallel is, though a different genre: Family Guy. The show exists today not because it was trying to fit into the bubble of comfort that so many find to be the nature of telivision. However, it, like BattleStar Galactica pushes forward and lives on in a state of realistic boundaries. I may mention that many shows tackle these things, rape, torture, but to find a way to create a world, or realm that can be both far-fetched and realistic... that is truly the pleasure of proper writing.

I don't deny that many undertones in the series are somewhat horrifying, however, I merely suggest that word as a means. What it is about this episode that I find most striking is the humanity involved. The issue of the rape is, to me, a horrible thing to watch... as it is meant to be. Yet the fact that it is at the core fake certainly lightens the blow. I am impresesd that a show is able to investigate, and provoke in a manner that is entirely touching, that you can't help but hurt for the characters... well that just shows progress. Human Cruelity is a current that runs through the veins of this show, yes, and this certainly is meant to open eyes wider, to escape from the fantasies involved. To make it real...

I would suggest that for those that have gone through experiences of rape, that they would not want their stories excused, and absolutely that they would never want to re-live them... but at the very least they would not want a reinactment to be softened, to make it any less terrible. If only to ensure that people understand that it IS so terrible. On many levels, though not in the least... it is acheived here.
  • Blast from the past.

This episode echoes a storyline from the old series. The Battlestar Pegasus. Galactica has a sister ship, this ship is commanded by an admiral who committed war crimes against her own people. She's a tough leader, she's the opposite of adama who acts with a moral standard. they almost go on a shooting war with one another. but starbuck somehow prevents it from happening. this is definitely one of the best episodes of the show. the pegasus is now a good part of the fleet. 2 fleets are better than one, they have a better chance of surviving the cylon onslaught.
  • Can this show get any better?

Well what an episode it left me speachless, it had surprises all the way through. After fleeing the cylons for weeks the galactica finally gets some good news, they find the Pegasus. But all is not what it seems. Adama and Cain have conflicting command styles and it all kicks off.

This is truly one of the best episodes of the season (so far) it had all you would expect from action to suspence. Everyone seemed to find their counterpart as well which also proved to be trivial.

The episode ends on a massive cliff hanger with both sets of vipers heading towards each other, then the dreaded To Be Continued pops up a leaves you begging for more.

Great episode!
  • Unbelievably well written. I only recently discoverd ths series and it\\\'s nice to have a quality story line in SciFi.

The writers managed to create a great feeling of \\\'the funs over now\\\'. I can\\\'t get over how brutal this episode fits into the series. Even the music throughout was bugging me. All throughout the episode I was actually thinking, damn I was enjoying the relaxed atmosphere on board.
    When the Admiral said \\\' Welcome back to the colonial fleet\\\' I was like \\\'Hold yer weesht, hen\\\' (translated from Glaswegian to \\\'Now just a minute there young woman\\\').
    What a cow(had to use that word cos thinks that the word **** is offensive) Get the doctor dude to say she\'s a Cylon...
    Brutal. Brilliant.

I don't even know where to start. This episode poned in so many ways. I was just starting to think, "Hey, I wonder if they're going to make a Pegasus episode sometime soon," and here it is. I agree, it isn't like "The Living Legend", it's better. Seeing Pegasus, the believable emotions that can be experienced when something seems to be to good to be true, and the conflicting styles of command, it was just great TV. As for the scene when Sharon is about to get raped, I see nothing wrong. As has been mentioned 1,000 times before me, this show is not for kids! Kids may certainly want to watch it (and I don't blame them), but to me this doesn't seem like a problem, even though everyone else seems to think so. As for the cliffhanger, it couldn't have been better. There was so much suspense built up over the course of the show and it just explodes in the last 3 minutes. Great episode. 10 out of 10.
  • Realism, edge of the seat instalment

All through the show so far, every episode was able to continue building the characters for us, however, this episode also seems to have tried to make us realise that things are not black and white, wrong or right, do we become as bad as the enemy, even if the enemy is not of our own kind? If we want to do some philosophical thinking here we can ask wither the directors trying to draw parallels with real life? Do we let the rules bend if whoever we have imprisoned not from our race, colour, nationality or religion? Who knows…

This episode was able to keep me on the edge of my seat from the get go to the worlds to be continued, that’s when I remembered or realised that there won’t be a continue for this next week! Aaahhhhh

I do agree with the person above who said that when they came to rescue boomer that the two military personal did not shoot them on site, but hey it’ s only a show at the end.

Such an enjoyable episode, I hope the next one can keep up with my now too hight expectations!
  • True Civil War

This episode really proved to us what we are dealing with here. First of all there was the score, the show has always had a very energizing score, but this time was different. The music had just as much a part in this downhill journey as the actors did. The episode started in pure panic as an unknown ship came into to driadus range, went to joy as the Pegasus was reveled, and into utter confusion as the beginning of an all out civil war began. Secondly, Gaius Baltar. He has truly embraced his destiny in this episode. Till January!!!
< 1 2 3