Battlestar Galactica

Pegasus

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 23, 2005 on Syfy

• This series has sucked ever since NBC got their claws into it. (review edited)

I really, REALLY liked the first season of Battlestar Galactica. That's why I am so disgusted with the direction that the series has taken now that NBC has hooked into it and subtly changed the direction.

Pretty much everything in the series is now either "ripped from the headlines" type stuff or is in the same cheesy vein as Law & Order-type shows. From the Abu Ghraib-type garbage in this episode to the pathetic first and second episodes of this season which were so desperate to please any-and-every possible type of consumer group out there (military fans, computer nerds, women, etc.) -- it just reeked of desperation.

And a lot of the episodes are just downright "preachy", which to me makes for rotten Sci-Fi. Sure, it's good run-of-the-mill network-style TV for people who don't like to think too much and who will eagerly watch just about anything labeled as Fantasy or Sci-Fi no matter how bad it is (Stargate fans, for instance), but it's just downright lousy as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope the original team exerts a little more control over the 3rd season (if that's even possible after selling out to NBC), otherwise I might not be along for the ride for too much longer. There's a reason I don't watch regular network TV, and now they've let NBC take this series and turn it into their standard network dreck. That's just wrong, and it makes me angry.

*edit*

After watching more of Season 3, I have to look back at this review and admit that, while I still feel that I was entirely justified at the time I wrote it, my feelings ended up being wrong in the long run. NBC did not entirely ruin the show as I feared that they would, but it has also been a litle cheesier (in this case, melodramatic) than I would have desired.