Battlestar Galactica

Precipice

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 06, 2006 on Syfy

• Precipice

Precipice was a superb and very character driven episode as the Cylons decide to crack down on the humans for the resistance, who make contact with Galactica. It was interesting to watch Sharon plea for Cally's life. It was really scary when Cally was taken, and it was even scarier to think that it was by the people she used to know and trust. This episode explored a great moral dilemma within humanity. The ending was awesome and shocking and I look forward to finding out what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • this series gets better and better.

i thought this episiode was just as good as the previous one. a++ in my book.
    and this is the kind of set up to the second part of the war. i hope the writers keep to the story and not stray from it. you know what i mean. i am new here so i hope i gave you a good feel of my review.
    i also like the two gates. and am glad MGM will be continuing and finishing the war against the ori movie form.
    i hope i did ok this my first time here. may the force be with you and keep this site going.
  • Just as dead.

-Sharon becoming an officer was certainly a shock. While I like the relationship her and Adama have formed , I was half hoping, half expecting more to come from her anger over losing the baby, granted she might still have other ideas in mind than just earning back her stripes. And I guess I can see how their camaraderie could come about, so long as Adama understood why Sharon let Cavil come upon them unbeknownst and that she was deserving of that payback.

-I really enjoyed the scene when Adama tells Apollo he should take Pegasus and the fleet to continue the search for Earth and all but acknowledged that he was headed back to New Caprica on a suicide mission. Adama explaining why he had to go back was a moving piece of dialogue.

-Chief discussing the fate of collaborators with Jammer was also a good scene. The idea of that day coming true is a little frightening to me(I like Gaeta), though much less so than it is for Jammer I imagine. Not that I think those who have collaborated shouldn't face punishment. I think that's what I like so much about this whole storyline, the conflict that it brings not only for the characters but for the viewer also. I can't agree with the resistance 100% because of the extreme choices they have to make, but at the same time I celebrate their small victories and can't help but hope they "win."

-Starbuck's scenes continued to impress. That second scar she got back in The Farm always freaked me out and I liked how it came back into play. Starbuck's distancing language("Don't leave me alone with this.") was a nice touch and the scene where she finally cracks and calls her Casey, while holding Leoben's hand without even realizing, was well acted on her part.

-Tigh was also excellent in this episode, both in his scene in the cold open and his moment with Roslin. I loved his facetious description of the resistance in his scene with Anders and Chief(when they send the sitrep), though it seemed to hit eerily close to home with what Tigh considers to be acceptable casualties. And after hearing him vocalize my exact thoughts on Roslin I couldn't help but like him more.

Tigh: "You know, sometimes I think that you've got ice water in those veins and other times I think you're just a naive little school teacher."

His dialogue, delivery, and physical acting were top notch throughout that entire scene actually. The idea that this cause has given him the the want and desire to lead as well as the determination to do it after what he's been through, all while maintaining his gruff demeanor, is a great way to take the character in my opinion. Made better by the fact that his decisions as a leader are still highly questionable. But it's that assurance that his choices are correct that I used to hate about Tigh, but now makes me like him given the circumstances he is in. What they're doing is necessary, but to what extreme they go and the loss of human life that comes with it has to be limited. But for Tigh that limit won't be reached until they or the Cylons are off New Caprica.

-The round up of Roslin, Cally, Zarek(way to stand tall on those months by the way, Tom), and 200 others for a firing squad execution provided some tension and suspense. I have to admit, when Cally got set free by Jammer I was thinking everyone else might really get killed, but the episode ending on the just the sound of gunfire had me second guessing it. Either way it added some good drama, especially in Baltar's reluctance to sign the order and Gaeta's subsequent confrontation with him.

This storyline is definitely starting to give Resurrection Ship a run for it's money.
  • Another good hour of entertainment.

This episode is a continuation of the season premiere. A lot of hard choices are being made and it seems to blur the lines on what is right and what is wrong. The use of human suicide bombers is a big moral issue in our world today and its one of the center points of this episode. Also the choice of liaison is an interesting one and the right one. While it seems a logical choice, given the circumstances it would be hard to trust another cylon. There are not a lot of space actions sequences but there is plenty of action on the ground to enjoy. Not one of the best but still a good episode.
  • Dark times...

Oh, I most say I loved the storylines - first Starbuck's child: she just cannot want to believe it and I was wondering when they will bring that continues up from "Farm" Here they did..

I also most say the whole dark feeling of the occupation, the resistance.. how the people next to you can be traitor.. or secretly helping you and you just do not know.. I like the irony of Gaeta and Tyrol and then the man who took Celly.. he let her go, thanks god, but Roslin and Zarek...

But the whole thing going on in New Carpica.. Gaius signing that order.. they arresting Roslin.. Oh.. eager to see what comes next...

I really most say this episode had amazing atmosphere - they have all so far managed to survive.. but now they are so in that mess.. and mostly because Gaius. I like when Zarek said he wishes Roslin would have managed to steal the elections. But the point - stunning atmosphere creation.
  • I'm not sure what to say for this episode. I'm pretty convinced it's more an informative episode than a season beginning...lots of references to Iraq, too many probably! I hope in a next episode like "33"! SPOILER ALERT

7.7
    As i already read from other reviews, season 3 opening episodes have plenty references to the actual situation of the "war" in the middle east. We have suicidal bombings (the ones from the resistance lead by col. Tigh), we have an overwhelming army (the Cylons' one) that arrives on the colony planet New Caprica to enstablish peace, we have the creation of a police force not well accepted by the population and target for the assassination attempts.
    This is more an informative episode as i said in my summary, since they gave us so many infos, without developing them much! We see Baltar character falling even more in a living hell, killing not only human kind but firstly his conscience...they try to convince us Starbuck has a child, but i think that's only another Cylon humanoid model.
    They make us believe Roslin has been executed, but even though i would really appreciate such a twisting plot i hardly think they did something like that.
    Anyway i enjoyed this episode, and i'm expecting something incredibly awesome and great as "33", the first episode after the miniseries, with terrific action scenes and amazing cliffhangers.
    I didn't see coming a fat commander Lee Adama, but i'm also sure he'll soon come back to his real "shape"...
    Even though i found too redundant the similarities to the actual situation in middle east, i stopped thinking to the words of col. Tigh, when he justifies his actions to Laura Roslin, and i couldn't help but somehow sympathize with him (hoping noone will mistake this as me justifying in any way terrorism)...sadly, i couldn't think of another way to annoy the cylons (again i'm referring to the fictional events and not to reality). I use the verb "to annoy" since i think the colonial actions are more an annoyance than a real threat to the cylons.
    That's why i would sincerely like to see some changes in the balance between the colonial force and the cylons' one...i don't know, something like finally understanding how to stop the downloading process from a dead cylon to another "vessel". IMHO it's about time for the colonials to kick some cylon ***es!
  • Excellent episode.

The Galactica practices a dry run attack on the occupying cylon armada. This training operation will enable them to rescue the stranded humans held hostage by the occupying enemy force. It's been a long time since Galactica went into action. Apollo doing his duties as commander of Pegasus is getting soft and sloppy. Colonel Tigh and his resistance fighters are escalating their attacks on the occupying cylons by staging suicide bombings that kill other humans along the way. This disrupts the plans of the cylons to control the humans. This episode examines serious issues of violence that we deal with in real life, it works well as a backdrop for the story.
  • Six: "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."

It was impossible not to compare this episode to the war in Iraq; the green lighted cameras (very much like the nightly news), the suicide bombings. It even was reminiscent of the holocaust, with the human's very concentration camp-like living conditions and the firing line at the end. I love the way this show makes you question the world around you, and delves into uncomfortable subjects that challenge your believes.

I love Roslin and I particularly liked her conversation with Gaius about suicide bombers. Suicide bombing is a touchy subject, especially when it's what is being used on our soldiers in Iraq (okay, I know, enough already with the politics). Gaius does have a point. The human population on New Caprica is already small enough, there's no need to be loosing any more. But if these bombings are really the only thing disturbing the cylons, then just maybe... If anything I enjoyed their conversation simply because we got to watch Roslin stare Gaius down.

I was intrigued by the Cylon meetings, and the one where Gaius was forced to sign the kill order was particularly intense. I really thought Gaius would finally draw the line, but unfortunately the coward in him came out again. There definitely is dissension among the cylons, and cylon-cylon violence appears to be becoming more common. I was surprised when Six was shot, although I'm sure she'll be resurrected. It's ironic, no matter how perfect machines are made out to be, faulty human qualities (at least ones considered by the cylons) still appear in them.

Starbuck has a daughter! At least that's what Leoben claims, although I'm wary as I was pretty sure the farm was annihilated last season. It does explain, though, Leoben's insistency on getting Starbuck to love him. I was surprised when Starbuck held Leoben's hand in the hospital. She has to be playing him, right? There's no way Starbuck would fall for him so easily.

Final Notes and Quotes

- I liked Zarek admitting that Roslin would have been a better president.

- We learned that that the Centurians (metal cylons) can't distinguish one skinhead (a human model) from another.

- Marriage was the craze since we saw our characters last year. Dualla to Lee, Callie to Tyroll, and apparently Sharon to Helo. (Did you catch that? She was going by Sharon Agathon.)

- This was the first time Gaius had a hallucination of Harvey Six in the presence of the real Six.

- Adama trusts Sharon enough to assign her to lead the mission down to earth. I believe Sharon will remain loyal to Adama. That is, until she finds out he faked her baby’s death last season.

- Why are there only 7 cylon models on New Caprica? Okay, I know it's to preserve suspense on the identities of the cylons, but I think when this series is looked back upon this will be seen as it’s only glaring weakness. - It was decided that Lee would take Pegasus and the 2,000 civilians to continue the search for earth. And here I was thinking that the writers had forgotten about that plot.

- Sharon: "How do you know? I mean, how do you really know you can trust me?"
    Adama: “I don't. That's what trust is."

- Brother Cavil: "In other words, they are worried about what God might think if they commit murder. They are covering their existential asses!"

Final Rating: Excellent. 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • Strong analogies and an incredibly dark premise mix to powerful effect!

If the season premire was all about introducing the new status quo to new and long-time viewers alike, then this is the beginning of the real story. As originally aired in the United States, this was the second hour of a two-hour premiere. This worked well because the first episode was stuffed with necessary exposition. No matter how well it was handled, the audience was left wanting more, some sense of where the story would logically progress.

As it happens, this second episode also introduces some expository elements, but they are targeted and precise. Most notably, the captive Kara finds herself under manipulation when her supposed daughter is brought into her cell. According to Leoben, Kara’s ovary (extracted in “The Farm”) was used to create, using his genetic material, a hybrid child. This child, especially once injured by Kara’s negligence, rips through her defenses and leaves her vulnerable, Stockholm Syndrome style. (Of course, I have my suspicions that Kara may still be playing for time to escape.)

Another major development is the rounding up of certain insurgents, including Callie. It appears that the Cylons have plenty of collaborators among the humans, and they know a lot about the resistance. Ellen Tigh becomes a far more important character than ever expected as a result. Callie was probably chosen to send a message to the rest of the population, along with visible targets like Roslin and Zarek. I like the fact that they now respect each other a little more, though the adversarial nature of the relationship remains. All of this serves to expose Gaeda as the insurgency’s mole in the government, which cannot go well for him.

One very impressive aspect to all of this is the use of Jammer and Duck, featured heavily in the “webisodes” released in the US before the season began. Duck, of course, was the first suicide bomber in the premiere, and Jammer finds himself in a tough situation as one of the first members of the New Caprica Police. This gives the “webisodes” a lot of weight, and I appreciate the fact that such content was relevant to the overall story.

On the other side of the equation, the in-fighting within the Cylon regime is becoming violent. The “new way” of the Cylon was introduced by Caprica-Six and Boomer in “Downloaded”, but time seems to have tempered the enthusiasm of the Cylon for this twist on God’s intentions. If they continue to press their reforms, the hardliners among the Cylon could simply decide to get rid of the “liberal influence” and return to their genocidal tendencies.

That could, if handled well, resolve one of the major questions of the series: what is the Cylon agenda? So far, this season has done much to flesh out (no pun intended) that side of the conflict, but there’s a lot more to be revealed and explored. How will the Cylons respond when they discover that Sharon is now an officer for the Colonials? Adama was willing to trust one Cylon, but will that become the exception that proves the rule?

On top of all of that, there’s some progress for Lee and his restoration. For all his apparent softness and loss of edge, he does have a very good point. Even if they fight, humanity must be preserved, even if it’s just a few thousand souls. No matter what his reasons, Adama cannot be certain that Sharon can be trusted, and it may be a disaster for Galactica to return to New Caprica. If it does go badly, Adama can do everything possible to keep the Cylons busy while Lee leads the remaining fleet as far away as possible.

As with all good episodes of “Galactica”, there’s more to discuss and debate than a simple review can hope to cover. While Tigh’s insurgency brings up interesting question about Iraq, there are obvious parallels to occupied Europe in the 1940s. In essence, the writers continue to delve into history, psychology, and philosophy as inspirations.

(As a sidenote: I also have a podcast associated with my various reviews called “Dispatches from Tuzenor”. Current episodes cover “Battlestar: Galactica”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://entil2001.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • Science Fiction at its laziest.

1.7
    Well, I\'d been awaiting BG\'s third season pilot like everyone else, and I must say I was pretty disappointed. The ponderous analogies to Iraq and Abu Ghraib, the suicide bombings, the wretched Iraqi \"police force\" and the desperate insurgents, all were there, all dutifully copied from the newsfeeds for their supposed relevance and hanging like millstones from the storyline. TV science fiction is always at its weakest whenever it tries to draw its topicality from the headlines, whether in the classic Twilight Zone or Star Trek episodes or the current Battlestar Galactica. It\'s cheap and lazy and insulting to the viewer to call this science fiction.

I\'ve been watching this new Galactica since the miniseries, and was always fascinated by the different look and feel of the universe it created. The story was consistently dark, the characters unpredictable in their rawness, the episodes extremely well thought-out. Even the characters you didn\'t like were always watchable, a good sign in a large-cast series like this. The high point of the series for me was the introduction of the Pegasus and its crew, and especially the episode that ended with Adama and Admiral Cain signing each other\'s death warrants. It was a marvel of editing and suspense.

Since then, it\'s been a bumpy ride of ups and downs this last season. Most of the show was still excellent. But this 2-hour third season pilot has been a huge letdown. The sense of invention has stalled, and instead we get these clumsy political parallels being drawn, in which the Cylons seem like the American forces and the insurgent humans are being compared to terrorists. Is there a point being made here, other than a sort of schoolboy delight in drawing infantile parallels to current events?

Please, bring back the Galactica I once knew, a show I could enjoy and respect without apology!
  • Battlestar is back!

Battlestar Galactica's hiatus was a long one. Season two ended in March with a gutsy cliffhanger and I've been anxious to see the story continue since. I'd even be so bold as to say that outside of Veronica Mars, there wasn't a show I was looking forward to starting the fall season more.

I tried to not get too pysched about it, to not have my expectations be too high. I feared I'd be disappointed. I also have to admit I was worried the bold move by Ron Moore and company of pushing the time frame of the story forward a year might be a jump the shark moment for the show.

Well, all I can say is that after just two episodes of the new season that the shark is no where in sight and Battlestar Galactica is back and continuing to deliver just as it has the past two seasons. Best show on TV--possibly.

The two hour premiere picks up four months after the end of "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2". New Caprica is under Cylon rule and the fleet warped out to save themselves. As Tigh leads a resistance movement to try and disrupt the Cylons for when Adama comes back to rescue them, the rest of the cast has their various roles to play. Starbuck is held hostage by Lebonen, who desparately yearns to make her love him, Gaeta is working for Baltar, Baltar is president in name only, taking orders from the Cylons and signing death warrants. Meanwhile, out in space, Adama can't forgive himself for not staying and fighting and Lee's married Dualla and gone soft--literally and figuratively.

The Cylons invaded New Caprica to bring new enlightenment and the love of god to the humans. But the humans are resisting, leading to some conflict on just how to rule. Human police squads are set up to remove dissidents and keep order. Brother Cavill's Cylon aruges that the human population should be whittled down to 2000 at most. (Interesting to hear that Lee's echoes this, saying the fleet should abandon New Caprica and take the 2000 survivors they have and continue toward Earth).

One thing I found interesting was the Cylon's attempts to find and understand human love. We've seen that Sharon has it from Helo, but the other Cylons seem desparate to find it. Six defends letting Baltar live and continue as a puppet preisdent becuase of her feelings toward him--feelings that the Cylons feel cloud her judgment. Lebonen yearns for Starbuck to love him, drugging her up and playing out some weird fantasy of a happy family life, despite the fact that Starbuck kills him and makes him re-download. And then we have Cavill who is having the physical side of a love affair with Ellen Tigh. As the episode begins, Ellen uses her feminine wiles to free Tigh. We later find out who is really screwing who as Cavill reveals he's been manipulating her and continues to do so, blackmailing Ellen into a betrayal of the resistance movement. (And you can bet this will have huge consequences when Tigh finds out....and he will.)

We see the beginnings of the rescue of humanity and we're forced to ask ourselves--do the ends justify the means. The humans begin to use suicide bombers in an attempt to take out Baltar. The mission fails since Baltar decides not to go. The Cylons feel they are offering love and can't understand why the humans won't accept it from them. Lebonen even goes as far as to bring out a child that he claims his and Starbuck's to force Starbuck to love him. And it may be working since concern for her health brings the two together, with Starbuck offering him the human contact he so desparately wants as the episode ends. The look on his face when she took his hand was superbly done.

As if all that weren't enough, we get a cliffhanger. A group is rounded up and taken out to be shot. A group including Roslin and Zarek. Now, I'm willing to bet Roslin escapes--not sure how, but I do think we'll see the resistance gunning down Cylons. But I do wonder if the show would pull the trigger and kill Zarek. I've heard that not everyone makes it out of the season alive and Zarek would be enough of an impact character were they to kill him off. It'd be a bold, gutsy call and one I could see this show making. All I know is--the cliffhanger left me wanting more and wanting more now.

There are so many plot threads going here. We've essentially skipped 16 months over the course of three episodes. I am curious to see some of these gaps filled in. I am intrigued most by if and how Baltar can be accepted back by the Colonists. His signing of the death warrants of innocent people is fairly extreme and I wonder if Baltar will finally split off from the humans and travel with the Cylons, as he did in the original series. I realize that no one in the human camp knows that Baltar betrayed them to the Cylons to start this process, but his popularity has wanted. Even Zarek states that he wished Roslin had stolen the election..the implication being they might not be in such dire straights.

Also, we see Lee lose his drive. He's content where he is and no longer takes risks. Is part of that not having Starbuck around to spur him on? It seems like that could be?

And what will the effects of the imprisonment and possibly finding her daughter have on Starbuck? And would this affect her relationship with Anders, her husband?

Oh, so many questions and a whole season stretching out in front of us to answer them. I can't wait....
  • In Precipice, Sharon is trusted; Six is dead again; Baltar's soul is well and truly fried; Laura and Tom are executable and Cally's on the run...oh, and Starbucks a real mother...maybe

The scene at the end in the hospital at Kasey's bedside when Kara put her hand over Leoben's I thought was downright creepy!!! My first thought when I saw the child at the bottom of the stairs was that someone had done it deliberately as part of the plan to manipulate Kara emotionally. Well, whether it was or it wasn't - it looks like it's working....ick

As for Ellen -the swirl- Tigh, she redeemed and damned herself in my eyes between Occupation and Precipice. Redeemed because she 'twisted' Cavill to get her hubby out of jail, and then stole the resistance plans after 'swirling' Cavill....not cool.

I really loved Adama making Sharon his liaison on New Caprica. After all the rotten things he and President Roslin did to Sharon, it was nice to see her being trusted for once. And after all - they still have airlocks if they need 'em.

The end of this episode was a stunner. Very "Nazi extermination".

Finally, how come Kara's hair hasn't grown? It's the same length as it was when the Cylons occupied New Caprica 134 days before. At the rate it grew in the twelve months between LDYB1 and 2 it should have grown at least 2 inches between LDYB2 and Occupation.

And I still think Dualla's a Cylon.
  • To boldly go where no show has gone before!

The season opener surpassed my boldest dreams! I never thought a show could be that daring in its storyline and that inventive with its characters. In these two episodes they have managed to portray many of the things that are crucial in our world - devided loyalities, the enemy is not just the enemy anymore but your friend, your lover, your child. Things are not clearcut. It becomes blurred who you can trust. Or the issue how far you are willing to go if your rage and despair become deep enough. People are going through this all the time around the world and this show makes me understand what it must be like.

All the characters depart from their usual patterns. Baltar's predicament actually touched me. I felt that there is something heroic in Ellen Tigh (and who would have thought it the way her character was first introduced!). Saul is going to dark places I wouldn't have thought his character able to go to. Adama has decided to trust Sharon!!! That one really blew me away. The good thing is that although all the characters reveal new and different sides of their personalities they never seem 'out of character'.

A daring start to a new season, a fantastic show and I have high hopes that it'll continue this way.
  • OMG, They Killed Roslin! You Bastards! (Spoilers, duh)

It looked like she was going to die, and then I heard gunfire. That suggests that she's dead, and if there's one thing I've learned from watching television, it's that when a show leaves you with any doubt as to a character's vital status, they're probably dead. RIP, Madame President, we hardly knew ye.

So, we've moved on from Iraq War parallels to holocaust parallels. Collaborationist cops come in the middle of the night to drag you away, load you in a truck and drive you out to the middle of nowhere to be shot. I have to wonder where those people thought they were going. There only seems to be the one town on the whole planet, so what did they expect, a camp out? And why was there even a road to begin with? I guess the New Capricans really just enjoy their long, scenic drives. At least Roslyn got to have a nice chat with her old adversary, Tom Zarek, before they most definitely did her in. Looks like he had some time to rethink his political allegiances; too bad he won't get a chance to join the resistance, being dead and all. If I lived in New Caprica City, I would start a business selling "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Roslin" T-Shirts; I'd make a fortune, at least until the Centurions shot me.

One thing I didn't care for was the reduction of Ellen Tigh to a simpleton. I'd always thought of her as crafty and conniving, or at least clever, but she somehow got herself hooked in by everything that Cylon told her. Does she really think that they'll let Tigh live when they know that he's connected to the resistance? Does she expect one tiny bit of intelligence to satisfy the Cylons? What a disappointment. Although I bet Dean Stockwell had more fun filming that scene than he's had in a long time. When was the last time that guy had a love scene that didn't involve Scott Bakula?

A very tricky subject, the ethics of suicide bombing. Innocent civilian bystanders and all, it always seems to cause more problems than it solves, but if the Cylons are so bothered by it, then maybe, just maybe, it's worth it. I guess it would be easier to cheer for if the tactic weren't being used with such efficacy against American forces even now. Getting into such a timely subject matter has its pros and cons: you generate a lot of discussion on the topic, sure, but then you inevitably get painted with an ideological brush. On the other hand, ragging on the Holocaust seems just a little too easy nowadays.
  • Disconcerting, Harsh, Real

Awesome 2 hour seaon premier. It seems as though the Cylons and the Humans had about a years worth of relative peace, or at least peaceful co-existance. We see emerging, yet again, the Cylon's inherant need to rule over humans, to inflict their own ideas upon the humans, and the humans refusing to give up their free will. Excellent show!! I thought the whole situation with Starbuck was weird, mainly because I have no idea who the Cylon is that's holding her prisoner, nor how he came to know her or to want her so badly. I suppose that'll come out soon. I love that they're using Sharon as a liason between the resistance and the Cylons. I think we see the Cylons nearly 'bored' with this peaceful co-existance, there's always going to be dissention in any society, I think that's the one lesson that is difficult for the Cylons to learn. I'm looking forward to seeing another great battle. I think that the Cylons are going to be really devastated by the coming conflict, simply because I think that the Humans have learned a great deal about their nemesis. Great show and I can hardly wait for next week!!!
  • Run Kallie Run!!

I have to hand it to Rick Berman, he makes one stellar show after another (pun not intentional), and Galactica is no exception. I just love the dark places that they're going to. Showing the nasty, ugly, almost primitive side of humanity that so many futuristic shows forget about. What other series has suicide bombers that you're rooting for? I understand suicide bombings a bit more now, although they differ from real life in that fact that real suicide bombers are religious fanatics and not desperate freedom fighters. This show is so real. It's real people in real situations and real things happen to them. I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.
  • another tv classic

there are few shows on tv today that make you want to talk about it with your co-workers - this is the best of the lot!

mister moore knows how to write a sci-fi space drama that could easily translate to a full scale movie!

the chracters are well written, beautifully cast, well acted, loveable, hated, feared...it is just one of the best shows on tv - even for the sci-fi channel

can't wait to see where it goes this season - and the talk around the office is going to be fantastic

one demand - without commercials - this is one of the finest episodes of any tv show around - drama, drama, drama and a kick azz cast and writing to support it all the way!
  • Saul Tigh has gone to a dark place where no person should have to go. His anger leads him down a brutally violent path with many innocent victims. An insightful look at the motives behind suicide bombers and the dangers of giving into hatred.

Tigh has really gone off the deep end, but I think his character was key to the whole suicide bomber storyline. The great thing about Battlestar Galactica's treatment of current political issues is that it never devolves into one-sided preaching. Moore and Eick have taken on a lot of sensitive subjects but they always come through without looking like ideological hacks for one party or another. At first, we were almost meant to sympathize with the suicide bombers as we saw the desperation of Duck's life after he lost Nora (in "Occupation"). We saw the injustices visited upon the humans by the Cylon occupiers. And I almost thought, hey, maybe these guys are right. Go Duck!

But then Baltar asked Roslin straight out whether she supported the suicide bombings. Her eyes betrayed her. She couldn't lie to Baltar. She couldn't lie to herself and voice her support of such tactics.

An even more telling scene involved the conversation between Tigh and Tyrol. Tyrol mentioned that the marketplace was getting shut down. He couldn't imagine that even Tigh would have wanted to bomb the marketplace, not with all the innocent parents, children and casual shoppers, humans all. But Tigh said he would have bombed the marketplace. His speech was chilling:

We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Wow! Even Tyrol and Anders, two tough guys, were taken aback by those words.

There was a lot going on throughout, maybe too many stories to keep track of, but I don't know how the writers could have gotten around that. Fat Apollo was a little strange to me too. The Kara story was a little slow. At one point I thought she was actually going to kill Kacey, the little girl. I'm kind of glad they didn't go down that path. Not something you really want to watch, even in a fictional story.

Tigh has gone into a deep, dark place and I don't think he's going to come out whole. The loss of his eye symbolizes that. If and when the people on New Caprica are rescued, how will people react to Tigh? His personal rage has grown into an uncontrolled killing spree on New Caprica and I'm sure some human will later want personal revenge on Tigh for his atrocities. Though I don't agree with Tigh's tactics, I certainly find him the most intriguing character right now. Great job on the part of Michael Hogan and great storyline. He's a cross between a Hamas leader in the West Bank and Captain Ahab from Moby-Dick. He even looks like a beaten down ship captain with the scruffy beard, the eye patch and the wool knit cap.

Great start to the new season!
  • This is the way to start a season.....

This has always been one of my favorite shows. And this two parter has been exactly why. So much darkness. .. so much angst... so much potential for bad bad things happening. Is my favorite character Roslin dead? (Probably not...previews say no) but still, I was waiting for the Cylons to arrest her. She's a very dangerous figurehead/symbol. Starbuck is in a very twisted place....and frack me I love it. Is Kara falling under the Cylon's spell or is she planning an escape with or without her daughter?

Ellen Tigh is playing a dangerous game for her husband who may not forgive her when he finds out. He's a hard core soldier who's wife just gave the enemy their plans for the besst chance of escape. I feel sorry for the woman who is doing a very bad thing for love.

I loved the scene between Roslin and Zareck. (I love Roslin, i did say that right?)

Baltar Baltar Baltar.... you signed the papers. You fool. Although at that one moment I almost felt sorry for him. The many Sharons....I like them. I like all of them. Sharon is interesting as you are never quite sure where her (any of the hers) loyalites really are.

Xena! Xena! Xena!

Dean Stockwell is the bomb. I love the Brother Cavil cylons. They are just so evil.

Ok what did I miss..... Well that's about it.

Long live President Roslin the true ruler of the colonies.