Battlestar Galactica

Rapture (2)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 21, 2007 on Syfy

• Brother Cavil: "Your model is fundamentally flawed."

D'Anna has finally seen the final five, and now her whole model has been boxed for good. Damn the writers; they’re trickier than the Cylons. Who was the mystery Cylon that garnered an apology from D’Anna ("You. Forgive me. I had no idea.")? After D’Anna stepped out of her vision/hallucination/whateveritwas she said to Gaius that he was right. Is Gaius the Cylon? No, that would be a little too predictable for the writers, wouldn't it? Who else has D'Anna been rude too that deserves an apology? She met everybody on Galactica during last season's "Final Cut", so the possibilities extend to practically everyone in the cast. Whoever it truly is, the writers are doing an excellent job with the suspense; it’s really killing me. Like Gaius, I desperately want to know the truth, dammit!

The Cylon's decision to box D'Anna puzzled me, just a bit. Yes, she was turning her back on the group and going all messianic on them, but the Six and Sharon models are both pretty flawed, as well. Just in one episode, Six murdered a fellow Cylon (that's the third time she's committed violence against her own race) and helped Athena escape with Hera. I assume D’Anna’s obsession that her destiny is separate and greater from the rest of the Cylons is what truly caused her termination.

Athena begging Hiro to kill her was definitely the most heartbreaking scenes of the night. Athena demonstrated her courageous soul as a devoted mother this week. To go blindsided right into the enemy camp takes guts, and Athena went through and came out on top, with a fellow Six model by her side (Caprica Six I'm hoping?). Wouldn't it just be wonderful if Six and Gaius shared the same cell now that he's been captured, as well? How fantastic of the writers to go back to something seemingly meaningless (Starbuck's paintings) and turn it into a major plot point. Kara has a destiny? What is it? That's the same thing Leoben told her back in season one, isn't it? Is her destiny why Leoben is so fascinated by her? Kara better not be a Cylon, that’s all I can say.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Survivor Count: 41,401

- If re-view season two's "Valley of Darkness" you can actually see the mysterious painting on the wall of Kara's apartment.

- What was with Boomer? Could months on the Cylon ship really turn her so anti-human?

- Hera has finally gotten medical attention.

- Gaius was in a body bag at the end of the episode. Why? So he wouldn't be attacked by an angry mob like Boomer was?

- Okay, I'm glad Athena made it back safe and sound, but it was way too convenient that there were only two Cylons around when she went for her baby.

- Dualla: "My husband ordered me to risk my life for yours. That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to bring Starbuck back to Apollo." And she performed her mission well. Too bad that even after risking her own life, all Lee could think about was Starbuck.

- Sam: "If Kara dies out there, I swear to gods I will kill you myself."
    Lee: "If she dies out there, I'll let you."

- Starbuck: "I love Sam. I hate Sam. I love Lee. I hate Lee. Gods, I have to cheat just to keep the pieces all nice and neat." It looks like the love trapezoid is finally coming to a head next week.

Final Rating: This episode was exciting and exhilarating, and yet awfully confusing, as well. But that's BSG for you. Let's go with another 4, or somewhere close to that area.

- Tim Bronx