Battlestar Galactica

Episode 0

Razor, Part 1

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Nov 24, 2007 on Syfy

• A Big dissapointment. Let's hope these guys aren't writing Season 4...

The Pegasus story arch was actually what got me into Galactica in the first place and remains my favorite of all. So when I'd heard they were making a special on Cain I was more than excited. They hinted at her being a far more complex person (something Galactica tends to do very well) in season 2 and I wished I could find out a little more about her character. To me, Cain seemed like a woman put in an impossible situation doing what she believed was best for crew. If they weren't willing to do what was necessary to survive, she would shoulder the responsibility for the horrors that resulted and deep down that still hurt her (for me this was all shown in the mini-speech she gave to Starbuck). I compared her to Stalin or Hitler Was the phenomenal progress made by these monsters worth the cost?

However, seeing Razor I cannot express my disappointment enough. The story darted wherever it wished and never spent enough time on anything. Pegasus escaped in all of about 5 minutes, Cain takes up a fight she has no reason to (not a difficult decision in my opinion) so she just looks crazy and irrational. From here, Cain for me went from being a ruthlessly efficient military genius to a suicidal crackpot. This scene is important since after this I began to find the actions of the characters entirely illogical and implausible. Characters came across as one-dimensional and unbelievable. A shame since I've always praised Galactica for its three-dimensional characterization. Some Major guy (whose name I can't even remember) gets shot and Kendra Shaw acts all like a hard ass for no particular reason and she just winds up looking like a b*tch. I couldn't care less about her, she was both wooden and dull and her very existence leaves me completely indifferent. Cain and Shaw showed no signs of being human or emotionally believable. I found out nothing important or interesting in Razor. It seemed to have absolutely no purpose and by the end the babbling of an old man couldn't save a thoroughly bad experience. I was hoping Razor would be a taste of things to come in season 4. Now I'm afraid that could be true. I feel cheated. This is not what I was expecting from Galactica.

I hope the show has a good final run. They need to go back to the days when they had fantastic episodes like 33, Pegasus and Resurrection Ship. Roll on season 4.