Battlestar Galactica

Resurrection Ship, Part 1

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 06, 2006 on Syfy

• The tension between Adama and Cain continues, while Starbuck reminds everyone about the real enemy. A great return after the midseason break. This first episode since Time Magazine declared BSG the best show on TV should please newcomers to the show.

Another great episode! We finally learned about what happened to the other civilians and now we know more about the Cylon resurrection process. What makes Cain so chilling is that her actions are realistic. She isn't a caricature of a villain. After the initial Cylon attack, she was in a desperate situation and she calmly and calculatingly chose the path of military efficiency to the exclusion of all other considerations. Her great sin was forgetting what the purpose of the Colonial armed forces is: protecting ALL of humankind against external threats.

Roslin had been successful in convincing Adama to stay with the civilian fleet after the initial attack on the Colonial homeworlds. Adama's first instinct was to stand up and fight the Cylons. Now Roslin is becoming a woman of iron will and intense determination as she succumbs to her disease. I was surprised to see her role in the developing conspiracy, but I thought it worked well. Yet another plot element that I didn't see coming.

I'm glad to see that the show is not rusty after such a long break. This was the first episode since Time Magazine declared BSG to be the best show on television. I hope that attracted a lot of new viewers tonight. Most of them would have liked what they saw. Though you can't please all the people all the time, you can certainly please most of the people at least this time. I think Moore and company did just that.