Battlestar Galactica

Resurrection Ship, Part 2

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 13, 2006 on Syfy

• Resurrection Ship, Part 2

Resurrection Ship, Part 2 was a deep and character driven episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode. because the characters were so intense and in depth. It was cool to watch as Starbuck was entrusted with a special mission as was the XO of Pegasus. I'm glad neither came to fruition though Admiral Cain did meet an untimely end. The space scenes were great! The character development was awesome and the story lines were very well written. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Worthy of surviving.

The scene in Pegasus' brig was shocking. Not so much the beating, as the mistreatment of Helo and the Chief was to be expected. But Fisk's line, "You can't rape a machine," left me stunned. In that moment he reveals that the Pegasus crew's way of thinking is so fundamentally different than that of the Galactica's, that it's no wonder things went down the way they did when the two ships met. I think the Pegasus stared too long into the abyss, and it stared back into them. And while it does make me extremely frightened of them and what they're capable of, I also can't help but feel for them as they obviously weren't always like that. How different could they have really been from Galactica's crew before the Cylon war(or second war I guess) started? Though the scene solidified, despite my love of the character, that Cain had to die, no matter how it happened.

Cain's conversation with Starbuck was an eerie scene. I loved that while Cain was trying to ensure Starbuck would understand what she had to do to Adama and still give her her support afterward, she was also unknowingly encouraging Starbuck to carry out the mission of killing her. In addition to the irony of Cain's monologue, I loved the way the scene was shot, with Starbuck starring at her out of the corner of her eye and then the shot of Starbuck's face in the foreground and Cain out of focus in the background for the final moment.

While I hated to see the Blackbird get destroyed(especially so soon), it did provide a little taste of some zero-g fire, my favorite thing to come from the sci-fi genre. I enjoyed Apollo's storyline and can certainly understand how he(or any of the pilots) would want to cash his chips in, but with everything else happening in the episode it felt somewhat out of place. It just seemed weird to introduce and focus time on that during the events already set in motion. Honestly, in any other episode it would have probably been my favorite storyline. The shot of him alone in space as he looks on to the firefight in front of him was incredible, though it wasn't long before they topped it.

The shot's of the two battlestar's missiles colliding with the basestars followed by the Viper's guns ripping into the Resurrection ship as Cylon bodies spilled out into space were definitely my favorite so far of the aerial battles. Silencing the guns and resulting explosions was an excellent choice and McCreary outdid himself yet again with a beautiful piece of music. It's sad and almost funereal sound contrasted perfectly with the violence and chaos of the assault, while at the same time blending well with the final shot of Apollo sinking below the water and with the part of me that connected with the thousands of Cylons dieing.

Baltar's scenes with the captured Six model were good, but if I'm being honest they never topped the one in Pegasus(the episode). I did like how they tied in with the main plot and provided a way of taking out Cain without sullying my respect for Adama. Cain on her part went out exactly as I expected her to; defiant in the face of oblivion. The tears welling up in her eyes, belying her indifference to death, were a brilliant touch as she still refused to ever beg for her life. I know I'm gonna miss the hell out of her character.

I hate to see Cain go, but her three episode run has been the highpoint of the series thus far for me. And it wasn't just all because of her.
  • Great Drama But Seriously Flawed

Another reviewer correctly pointed out that the writers and producers of BSG conveniently change the basic nature of their characters when it suits their desires, such as Adm. Cain backing off on having Adama killed. My big problem with this episode involves something that happens repeatedly on this show and one big problem with this particular episode. You have a Cylon being held prisoner on the Pegasus who has been brutally tortured. It is clearly established that Cain considers Cylons the most evil things that can possibly be. Yet we are expected to believe that the cell that Gina occupies would not have cameras and microphones and that this prisoner would not be constantly watched??!!! If it did, Gina would have never gotten out and killed Cain. Cain would have also known how sympathetic Baltar was to this particular Cylon. Also, is it not beyond belief how many times Baltar speaks to the unseen six model that is in his head and no one seems to notice, even when they are standing nearby or unexpectedly walk in on him? A potentially great episode with a truly terrible ending.
  • Awesome episode. The show keeps getting better.

Well, I have to admit I wasn't shocked by who killed Cain. I figured something would happen and Adama would call his part in it off. But I didnt figure Cain would call off her XO as well. I think Adama's talk with Sharon had this effect. WHy does Lee want to die? Because he thought he had let Starbuck down, because of what Adama was going to have Starbuck do or something else. I think Dualla needs to stick with Billy and not even think about APollo. He is Starbucks.
  • Overall, this episode didn´t disappoint and the conclusion is very satisfactory.

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

If is there one thing that I admire in this show is that even if a Storyline is divided in 3 parts, the writers always come with a interesting idea to start the episode and raise the interest of the audience and this is nicely done here. The conflict phase was nice to follow with interesting points and with tense moments. The climax was very well done, divided in 3 parts, the end is exactly what everyone can expect from this Storyline. Presentation Phase - » (9/10) very interesting beginning, could things be worse?
    Complication Phase - » (9/10) expected more of this phase,
    Climax Phase - » (10/10) high tension,
    Ending - » (9/10) very satisfactory,

We have the necessary amount of progress for the end of this storyline, some status positions changed. Hard to say what was filler, but I didn´t appreciated Apollo moment wandering in space. The Storyline conclusion is very satisfactory for one of the best storylines in BSG. The only flaw I notice or I think that strange is how six escape without being noticed and was able to get her revenge.

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (10/10) perfect for the development of the previous episodes,
    Time and Scene Management - » (9/10) almost fine,
    Plot Details/Holes- » (8/10) one flaw that even the writers don´t have an explanation,
    Storyline -» (10/10) all the happening fits well,

This is the type of episode where the tension is very high and the drama follows the same path.

Drama - » (9/10) nice drama and touching moments,
    Suspense/Tension - » (10/10) the best tension they could deliver,

• A victory..

Oh yes, finally - a major victory and it was not only on the against Cylon. The managed to solve their difference between them and the help came from place least expected - from Cylon. On the moment they scene where the Admiral went alone on that room and there was noone, it was so sure that the cylon woman will come and solve their problem and gets her revenge.

I most say I loved the whole tension between commanders and their assassins. Starbuck being on that role and Lee out of action. She, willing to do it, even if everything in her was against killing and when Adama said - stand down.. I think those were the best words for her then.

And the scene on the corridor when they both are going on missions - two selected officers to kill other.. that was great.

Great tension, great visual effect - the battle was impressive and the end - something i think was coming a long time.
  • The first time BSG let me down.

The Pegasus storyline really was a great piece of work, overall, but the ending let me down, and let me down hard.

One of the things that had always made BSG special--in fact, I would call it one of BSG's defining elements--is that it never took the easy way out of any situation. There are no magic bullets, and the creators acted as though they were absolutely allergic to the tired old cliche's we so often get from television in general and these sorts of programs in particular. They seemed to take great delight, in fact, in loudly skewering as many of them as possible.

That all began to change with the ending of this episode. As the storyline had already established, Admiral Cain is dangerously unstable, and, commanding a ship more powerful than Galactica, a direct threat to the entire fleet that already faces an ongoing threat of extermination. Adama and Cain both realize this galaxy ain't big enough for the both of 'em, and plot to kill one another. Adama is quite disturbed by this, but, with an eye toward protecting the fleet, comes to accept it as a necessary evil.

All good stuff.

Then, we get to the conclusion of the episode, and, at the moment of truth, Adama and Cain both back down, calling off their respective murder plots. In the case of Cain, the decision not to assassinate Adama is absolutely inexplicable--she's been portrayed as a monstrous maniac, neck-deep in blood, who has slaughtered anyone who stood in her path. One suspects her decision not to kill was dictated solely by the producers' wish to avoid having Adama kill her. At the same time, Adama's decision, in the face of all logic, not to kill her is plainly dictated by the desire, by the producers, to keep her blood off his hands. That's why it's so disappointing--BSG had, until that point, never backed down from that sort of ugly business. It's why the show has worked so well. It is a cop-out of the first order.

And it doesn't resolve a situation that must be resolved. The logic that led Adama to his decision to kill Cain in unassailable, and, weak-kneed producers or not, the problem still remained. Cain was extremely dangerous; her continued existence threatened the continued existence of everyone in the fleet, including her own crew.

So BSG's creators once again take the easy way out; to keep the blood of the hands of our heroes, they have the Cylon prisoner on Pegasus escape and kill her.

Very disappointing, on every level. And it wasn't the end of bad creative decisions in the second season, either.
  • Look at all the pretty spaceships

I'm having a little bit of review fatigue here, but I'll try to express my intense astonishment with the quality of this episode as best I can.

Apollo and Baltar somehow managed to make themselves the focus of this episode, despite one of them being locked (by choice) in a cell and the other floating helplessly in space. And then in the background there's this spectacular battle being waged. A lesser show would have focused on the battle, and paid little heed to the existential stuggles of some little pilot. Heck, I don't even like Apollo, and somehow this episode made me care what was happening with him.

And then Baltar's less appealing side begins to show. Apparently, falling in love with a Cylon torture victim deprived him of his reason and prompted him to give his enemy a gun and let her loose. How does this fit into his plans for self-preservation? Please, don't turn Baltar into some sort of love-sick idiot. The guy's supposed to be a genius or something.

Admiral Adama, eh? So this isn't Star Trek, where Riker is totally happy being Number 1 for seven years? Good.

Okay, I'll bring this abortion of a review to a close now. God Save the President. President Roslin, that is.
  • One of the best episodes.

One thing I really didn’t like is that the season was split into two. First I had to wait a few months then watch it. I also didn’t like they split up the DVD set to 2.0 and 2.5. I think what the suits or whoever is in charge of this atrocious. If it wasn’t for the fact I am a serious fan I would have stopped watching the series. Now this is the conclusion of a two parter and the action really heats up very well. I like how Starbuck does the planning of this mission and how her out of the box thinking helps once again like the previous attack on the cylon fuel planet. The director take time to show each side their views and how much of it they think is right. Great suspense and awesome last 10 minutes.
  • Great episode.

Now, the attack will happen on the cylon fleet. it's really cool to see cylon ships getting destroyed. the space battle was a very big one, and presented in a very spectacular way. this is what makes galactica so good, it's with the huge space battles. the vipers go into action, seeing them do manuevers we haven't seen before is a real treat. we see baltar again with his unusual behavior. He provides some comic relief to this episode's very high tension. Adama and Cain holds out their plans to take out each other, but then a cool twist takes place.
  • The Resurrection Ship is destroyed; Adama and Cain back down, to the relief of their would-be assassins; Cain is killed in her quarters by Gina; Admiral Adama takes command, Fisk takes command of Pegasus; Tyrol and Helo are freed; Lee ponders his fate

This episode is supurb. It was advertised as "testing the rigor and character of two commanders," but is so much more than that.
    Adama demonstrates why he'll make a good admiral in this episode, because when he thought about it, he realizes that Lee is right; assassination is not the way to deal with problems with a superior officer.
    Cain pulls back, but why is something we will never know. Fisk was uncomfortable with the idea of assassinating Adama, something of hope for the Pegasus.
    Apollo becomes suicidal, probably from despair, but this is something that will be explored in later episodes.
    Starbuck not only serves well as the CAG, but ends up with one of the best lines in the episode, saying that the fleet would have been safer with Cain.
    This episode marks a pivotal turn; the Cylons no longer can strike as a big unit without permanently losing any of their number. It also brings in the Pegasus as a wild card which will affect the fate of the fleet.
  • for lack of a better word...perfect

An amazing well done episode. Michelle Forbes shows the great acting ability she is so capable of. Admiral Kane reminds me so much of an ex manager that I had long ago that it gave me chills. Tension filled and well acted....not to say amazing and well used special effects. This is the only show I am following on TV and the only one worth really checking out. Ronald D Moore is a god...well of writing
  • The Comeback Kids

I was struggling with the last story and some of the character changes that looked to be happening. I mean Kara bowing to a new authority, what? Then being asked by her commander to assisnate her? Kara would never have been part of this. Now I was aurgueing with myself over this until I saw this episode. Then everything feel into place and I was amazed at the writing and the story flips. I like the plot beiung tripped by the "toaster". It was awesome.
  • Out of character for any action or sci-fi show EVER created!

OUT OF CHARACTER!!

Out of character for any action or sci-fi show EVER created! When have you had a battle with such a build up be in the background? NEVER! It's unheard of! The battles and the special effects are suppose to be the meat of sci-fi series...no sci-fi would pull that off...

Well, that's exactly what BSG does in this episode. It has the biggest battle since the mini series as a beautiful background (i love the explosions!)...and if you read the reviews NO ONE is complaining! Because BSG is not about the battles is about the characters...real, flawed characters we care about. The opposite of Star Wars...where cool, expensive battles don't even raise a heartbeat...oh Lucas...

I loved this episode, just a magnificent ending to the Pegasus arch...can't wait for more!
  • I liked it, but....

Let me first say that I loved this episode. It has been a while when I was perfectly quiet and rivited to the screen like I was when Adama and Cain were almost ready to give the order. The whole room seemed to disappear for those moments. I loved it. The only real complaint about this episode was the almost too neat way that they let Adama off the hook by having Six kill the Admiral. That felt too "God in the Machine" for my taste. I agree that the Admiral character couldn't be around for long. She would have to be dealt with very soon, but this felt too neat. I don't have any good ideas, myself, on what would have been a better way to get rid of her, but I would have probably let her survive one more episode and then deal with it. The effect she had on Starbuck should be interesting to watch in the coming weeks.
  • BSG keeps getting better and better.

I am really impressed at the continuing quality improvement. In this part 2, the admiral and commander are poised to kill each other and pull back from the brink. Starbuck was in a difficult place but showed her support for Commander Adama and was ready to kill at his order. A little more development in the cylon lines as well as the vice presidents (Balthar) story where he makes a critical pivotal choice.
  • A perfect ending to one of the best story arcs in recent memory...for *any* series

I’m often asked: what kind of episode would be able to achieve a rating of 10/10? So many strong episodes top out at 8 or 9, and yes, that’s intentional. It leaves the very top rating for the episodes that transcend what most productions manage. Not through perfection, necessarily, but through the power of the story and its telling, through taking chances or raising the bar. Episodes like “Severed Dreams” for “Babylon 5” or “Once More, With Feeling” for “Buffy”,

This episode now joins the elite.

Nearly every scene brings with it an emotional resonance that is lacking from most televised storytelling. From the poetic decision by Apollo to let the black overtake him, to Starbuck’s anguish at having to eliminate a flawed but dedicated leader, to Baltar’s latest step towards apparent betrayal, to Adama’s realization of what he must do in the name of humanity…it all strikes a chord. And more importantly, it brought several plot threads to fruition while sparking off several others.

Ron Moore made a point in his podcast to remind the audience that the series tries not to give easy answers to the questions posed by the story. Flawed humans are allowed to remain flawed and take a long journey towards some new way of thinking, which may in fact be equally flawed. Yet if there is a theme or a message, it’s what Adama says after his pivotal discussion with Sharon, harkening back to the mini-series: it’s not enough just to survive. Humanity must demonstrate why it is worthy of survival.

This was the fundamental difference between Adama and Cain. Adama has been focused, from the very beginning, on keeping humanity safe but doing so while preserving some sense of human morality and decency. It was about preservation of humanity on philosophical terms, and it took him some time to understand that Roslin was equally committed to the same goal, simply on a more spiritual level. It’s not great for military discipline, but in a very real sense, the familiar structures of command and government are already little more than an artifice.

Cain, on the other hand, had allowed her hatred of the Cylons to overcome some aspects of her humanity, leading to a brand of survival that dismissed the finer aspects of human morality. It was survival of humanity in literal terms. Yet that focus and drive was something vital, especially now that Roslin is dying and Adama has broader responsibilities. Never mind that there’s an entire crew on “Pegasus” with Cain’s harsher philosophy. Cain was coming around, after all, and she was not completely lost. Starbuck will likely remind Adama in future episodes how important that focus was.

Interestingly enough, Sharon’s conversation with Adama reveals why Baltar’s decision might be more in service of humanity than in betrayal of it. Baltar shows Gina that there is something within humanity that deserves to survive. Six may not be willing to see it that way, based on their strange relationship, but Baltar’s actions could be interpreted as mitigating the harsher human responses. I wouldn’t be shocked to discover that Baltar, however accidentally, turns out to be as instrumental in humanity’s survival as Adama or Roslin.

I connect Lee’s decision to die in space with the realization that Roslin was the one who suggested that Cain be assassinated. He could have believed that from his father, given Adama’s decision to jail the President, but he never would have expected that from Roslin. I think he chose death over survival out of despair for humanity itself. I may be wrong about the why, but Lee is going to take a long time to find something worth living for. Will Starbuck or Dee give him that something?

I believe that this episode had the most elaborate and extensive special effects sequences since the mini-series, and those scenes are simply stunning. What’s even better is the fact that those amazing effects and the battle itself are almost tangential to the meat of the story, but they represent a massive shift in the status quo for the fleet. The Cylons are now rocked back on their heels and the fleet has two Battlestars. I wouldn’t be shocked if the bulk of the season, at least until the season finale, took advantage of the lack of Cylon presence by returning focus on the issues within the fleet itself.

After all, this episode, likely in concert with the next episode, brings the “complication” phase of the season arc to an effective end. It’s all about setting up the resolution. After hitting such a high point, it’s going to take time to work through the consequences and set the stage for the next stunning achievement. Some might question whether the series can accomplish something like this again, but who saw this coming, even after the excellent “Pegasus”?

There’s one more thing that must be noted, beyond the tight and nuanced writing, the near-perfect performances, and the inspired direction. What takes all of that to the next level is the incredible score. The score for this episode was more powerful than I can express in this review. I can’t wait for the second season soundtrack, just for this episode’s score alone. I could rewatch this episode several times over and still find new things to discuss, and for that reason, this episode deserves the highest praise.
  • Resolutions are never easy on this show...

First, let me say how much I am looking forward to re-watching this episode while listening to Ron Moore's podcast. And what a wonderful opportunity that is. More shows ought to look into release podcast commentary - Veronica Mars, I am thinking of you!

Anyway, I totally did not see the new arc for Apollo coming. I did see the fate of Admiral Caine. I was happy to see the hint that President Rosyln will not be getting "a hot new Cyclon" body as was potentially hinted at last week.

The space battle was absolutely wonderful this week. If you like the space fighting, you will fall out of your chair. The acting was tense and to the point.

My only complaint was the complete lack of information about the fate of Gina. Combined with the hints about future episodes and the existence of 'cyclon-sympathizers', I wanted just a hint of where Gaius is hiding her.
  • An ending for one character and a new path for another. This ep sets us up for a couple of arcs for the rest of the season

OMG8
    There's only one other show that leaves me speechless at the end of each ep and that's The Shield.
    We,the viewers, came into this ep knowing exactly what to expect, didn't we? Didn't we?
    Starbuck was going to kill Cain and Ford was going to kill Adama.
    Only none of that happened. What we got instead was a wonderful segue into fleshing out over the rest of the season,what makes Apollo tick, and a lot more questions about the differences, if any, between Cylons and Humans.
    And of course, we got to hate the Pegasus crew just a little more than we did last week.
    And not to forget the connection that Starbuck seems to feel toward Cain, while still not waivering in her loyalty toward Cmdr Adama.
    and and and. The writers pack so much into each ep it's astounding.

• Suspense, anger, pain, fear, tenderness, despair, and Cain's marvelous "Frack. You." Galactica sets compelling human emotions within a gritty and intriguing space battle. It's the good stuff.

Although Starbuck was spared her horrible task, we felt every second, every bit, of her emotions leading up to it.

I knew how things would have to end with Cain, but how it was delivered was amazing.

The bar of soap beating - frackin' OUCH, man.

So, where did Gina go? Did Gaius help her escape?

Lee is pretty blue. Did he really want to die?

Edward James Olmos said in TV Guide that he improvised Adama's gentle kiss to Roslin. What a great moment of acting instinct and bravo to the producers for keeping it.
  • A Rise to Power...Finally

This episode was a great closer to the three episode blood bath of civil war. The way this episode started completely floored me. Lee all by himself in the middle of space, with cylon raiders flying by. It left you on the edge to find out how he got there and if anyone would save him.

The scene with Adama and Sharon was to me one of the best scenes of the night. The whole "why" thing was answered. In a lot of ways she was saying that Adama said it himself, that humanity doesn't disserve to live, because if it isn't the cylons, we'll rip each other to shreds anyway. That of course is the reason why he stood down on the assassination of Admiral Cain. Cain stood down because of the talk she had with Kara. Cain said that when Kara is faced with a great decision, not to let conscience get in the way. She also said that even the greatest warriors can be tempted to change their actions. That's why Cain bowed out.

As far as the assassins themselves, neither if them wanted to have to take out their target. Kara was sweating like a pig, and Jack was very jittery. He even started to walk out before Cain would even talk to him over the wireless, but Adama caught him.

Finally, there is the scene between Laura and Adama....Beautiful. That in itself disserves an Emmy Nod next year. Adama is at a place where he truly respects her now. Mostly because of her struggle with cancer, and still her will to keep going. To suffice in the most grim situations. Life on the run can take a toll on the body as it is, and with cancer that can be even harder. She is a very strong character for the times she is living in.

The crew is also getting weary. Lee was hoping to die out there is space. He wanted it to end. To them life is the same thing, running and fighting, but once they come out of this, things will be better.

The cylons have to have a back up, so their not gone of course. Next week looks very promising as usual, til then.
  • The show continues to move in unexpected directions. Apollo ponders his purpose in life while Admiral Cain reveals her humanity. Baltar takes the final leap to the dark side, and Number Six has competition--from Gina!

Yet another excellent episode! What I enjoy most about the series is the way that the writers develop the story and themes in unexpected manners, while remaining true to the characters and their motivations. Even when I know some of the spoilers, the storytelling is so good that it doesn't ruin the dramatic effect.

I thought the episode would focus on the battle to destroy the Resurrection Ship, or even on the dual assassination plots, but it ended up focusing on Apollo and Baltar. I was surprised to watch Apollo's suicide attempt. Baltar finally crossed the line and became a true Cylon collaborator, although he is more devoted to Gina than he is to the Cylons in general (another neat twist on the old series).

Cain's reputation was rehabilitated somewhat in the episode. She was much more sympathetic than in the last two episodes. We saw her as she stood helpless, though still defiant. She also showed her compassionate side as she couldn't bring herself to begin a possible civil war by assassinating Adama.

This series just doesn't get old. I can't say it's getting better because it has always been great. This episode wrapped up a few storylines but introduced a few more. It's a little messy, but then life can be that way. It remains an excellent series, one of the best on television and one of the best sci-fi series ever.
  • Action, Suspense, Reflection and Justice. This episode totally rocks! From the action of the battle scences to the tension of the characters!

This episode in many ways gives examples of Loyalty. From Starbuck & Apollo following orders that they were not comfortable with, to Helo and Chiefs unwavering support of Sharon. But the most evident forms of loyalty came in the form of Gaius Baltar and his devotion for Trica Helfer's cylon character. His love for her allowed him to give her a chance to gain Justice and gave her protection. Refection is also a major part of this episode. Apollo reveals his breaking point with all the fighting and the Presidents' and Admiral Adama's obvious relief with not having to follow through on very sinister plans causes all of them to reflect on what this war has cost them. Overall this episode has Action, Suspense, Reflection, and Justice. Excellent components that make this episode fantastic. I did not give it a 10 rating, for i felt Apollo's sudden change to losing his own will power to live was out of character but he def still made it believable.