Battlestar Galactica

Revelations

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2008 on Syfy

• Revelations

Revelations was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica because the final four Cylons were revealed to every one and it was interesting to see reactions and how things played out. As acting President, Lee Adama made some difficult decisions. Watching every one try to debate and reason with D'Anna was cool. I really liked her in this episode. Every one eventually agrees to work together and it was great to watch. The space scenes were excellent and so was the acting. I liked the ending thought it was kind of sad. After all this time, and all this way, Earth isn't what everyone had imagined. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • WOW factor 10! BSG works on so many levels

I sooo totally love BSG. This episode left my jaw on the floor (twice no less). I feel that BSG should have been longer (5 seasons), and that the 4th has been a little rushed so far, but I LOVE it totally. Nothing compares to the excellent story telling, the perfect acting, the superb effects, and indeed the total product. Can't wait for the DVD season release. I keep getting non sci fi viewers to tune in as it works on so many levels. God bless Sci Fi (and Sky in UK for showing it) for this wondrous re-imagining! (Yes, I have a Cylon background screen on my PC - but hey - its excellent :D)
  • Amazing episode, but where do they go from here?

I have to admit I get more and more amazed with the writing quality of this show. This last midseason episode had me sitting on the edge of my seat like many, if not all, previous episodes of this season. The final reveal of the four last cylons, (still waiting for the fifth) was written beautifully and the reaction from Adama when he found out Tigh was a Cylon was so well acted I got chills!
    We finally got some answers to questions that have been lingering for several episodes, if not seasons, and as I expected the answers only gave birth to new questions.
    What will happend to Roslin, What happend to Earth and what do the Cylons really want now that they have allied themselves with the humans?
    The final scene with them standing in the ruins of a devastated city was strong and I can't wait to see the last 10 episodes!
  • Guess what's comming next?

So, here we are at mid season / show finale. At the end of season 3 / begining of season 4 I thought creators had 2 options:

a) never find Earth, leave it as a myth and somehow form a new peace with Cylons (happy end) or destroy remaining of the colonies (sad end)

b) discover Earth. Interesting enough, I always thought they'll discover *us* in early stage of developement or in our real-time, with our technology at the stage much lower then we've seen in the show. Never crossed my mind that they could arrive in *our* future time.

Arival at post-nuclear disaster is a very clever plot developement cause it sends our protagonist and antagonists a very clear message: WAR is bad thing. Also, with no living thing on Earth, authors do not have to acctually deal with complications that would normally arise, such as our technological and society stage of developement, global *politics*, leaders, followers, in short - our own issues... This is also great as show now brought another theme in main focus: destructive nature of a mankind (this all happend again, and again, and again - said by a hybrid).

Then where this can get us in the remaining of the season 4? Well, I think it is the obviuos now: Humans and Cylons will have to co-exist together, since now they are all mortal and will accept the task of restoring life on Earth. In a more interesting way, human race may eventually die, while Cylons with the final 5 will continue to live and bare the memories of human race which will in literal way *evolve* into new race (like Cylons actually did) (Starbuck: in order to child reach it's potential, it's parents must die).
  • An Overlooked point regarding the missing Cylon, Spoilers included...

Is it just me? Or is no one seeing the possibility of the fifth cylon being under everyones noses?

Cylons come in the forms of a few things:

Baseship blabbermouths in puddles
    Sexy(or for the male component, abrasive) Skinjobs
    Tin cans
    ...

There is one more isn't there?

The fighters themselves.

Think about it, the figthers themselves may have been organic in some aspects, but they were still alive and thinking. Why is it so hard to believe that the fifth cylon, one of the 5 that would show the way to earth, actually be a FIGHTER? In this case, a prophetic fighter plane. Maybe its just me who's saying something too crazy to be true, or maybe it may just be the case that the fighter itself is the fifth cylon.

Anyways, great episode, wonder what they'll show is in the next 10 episodes, seems promising.
  • When you Finnish watching this episode you will say "OMG!" And not know what to do with yourself till next week. Amazing episode and it lived up to what I thought it never could. *** SPOILERS IN REVIEW"

This is a amazing episode. I never knew they would find earth going into this episode... I thought I would be waiting another few episodes till they got there. It has everything! The final 4 are exposed, some amazing story development from the final 4! Then after nearly being killing they become good guys once again... It has some great adrenalin moments too, i just never wanted it to end! Now I just cant wait to see the rest of this top show and see what else they can pull out of the hat... Can it get better? Can it really be as unpredictable as this season has been thus far? I sure hope so... This is one season I wish would never end... But I also cant wait for it too!
  • Mid-Season Finale Perfection

This episode takes everything since the third season finale and brings it to a fever pitch, tossing out several assumptions about the direction of the story in the process. In other words, it is exactly what the doctor ordered for a season that has been uneven at best. The more serialized structure of the season has not always worked to the series' favor, but the fruits of such labor are indeed sweet.

I'm not sure if the season arc always included an early discovery of Earth, though it's certainly possible. There was a great deal of concern just before the writers' strike that the series would not return for the second half of the final season, and that this episode would be the end of the show. That makes me wonder if the arc was designed to bring the series to the doorstep of Earth, just in case the series came to an abrupt end (though some indications are that the final episode would have been the conclusion to the cliffhanger). After all, even if so many other mysteries remained unsolved, at least the journey could have ended just before that final scene, right?

Perhaps not. Because as celebratory as those first moments in Earth orbit were, the promise of 12 more episodes (thanks to a slight expansion to allow the finale to have necessary scope, ala "Lost") tells us that there's plenty of story left. And the final scene itself is a grim reminder of the "grass is always greener" principle. It fits the Galactica mythos rather well, for the ragtag fleet to find Earth, only to discover a nuclear wasteland instead of a homecoming.

Of course, it's not that simple. That nuclear wasteland was giving off a Colonial beacon signal, and that nuclear wasteland apparently saved Starbuck, gave her a shiny new Viper, and knew how to send the signal by interconnecting it to the Cylon activation signal for the Final Five. The weather nuclear remains of New York City (or possibly the Temple of Aurora?) are a great cliffhanger, but also seem a ruse. Had the alliance found Earth without help, the state of the planet might have been a crushing blow, but there's too much evidence that there's much more to it.

The process of getting to that moment of revelation was some of the best material of the season. The tension hit a fever pitch, and the writers managed to convey the sense of chaos throughout the standoff. Ironically, despite setting himself apart from Roslin on several occasions, Lee seemed to resort to her brand of tactics when dealing with D'Anna's gambit. It wasn't necessarily wrong, but it was a calculated attempt to demonstrate his strength. At the same time, I'm not convinced that Roslin would have avoided the agreement with the Cylon Rebels that came after Kara's moment of realization. And something tells me that alliance will be necessary, because the rest of the Cylons are still out there.

As everything seemed to smack heavily and messily into the fan over the course of the episode, the authentic character moments made it all work. Roslin seems committed to the path of truth, wherever it might lead, even when it means giving Baltar the chance to speak on their collective behalf. Adama's reaction to Tigh's confession was very well done. A number of character reactions to the unveiling of the four new Cylons were postponed by the jump to Earth, but they will most certainly be coming.

There are some serious issues to be resolved in the second half of the season. First and foremost, there is the revelation of the final Cylon, which should be interesting, to say the least. D'Anna specifically said that the final Cylon was not with the fleet at the top of the episode, and at that point, a number of very important characters (notably Adama, Roslin, and Baltar) were all on the basestar. It plays into the notion (at this point, very well supported) that Baltar is the final Cylon. But I still think it would be too obvious to take that direction. Wouldn't it be a huge moment to discover that Leoben was right all the way back in the first season, and Adama really has been a Cylon? It would play into the theory that both Humans and Cylons were meant to come to this mutual moment of transition.

The arrival on Earth will eventually tie into Kara's visions and her resurrection, just as this mysterious signal from the ruins of Earth is connected to everything that has happened since the beginning of the series. I'm left with the notion that the signal is not, in fact, a Colonial signal per se, just as the activation of the Final Five was not typical. The signal may tailor itself to certain individuals in a certain way, with the signal intensifying at the various markers along the path. For some, it may be visions. To others, it may be music. To Kara's special viper, it may be a Colonial beacon. And it could be something automatic, something meant to draw the rest of Humanity and its children to the memory of Earth. (In fact, it's possible that the idea is for both Humans and Cylons to see the ruins of Earth and choose a different path, ala "Babylon 5".)

There's also two other small matters. Roslin wasn't supposed to live long enough to get the fleet to Earth, and there's no other leader who died along the way who would fit the profile. So is it possible that the Earth that was found is not, in fact, Earth? From the visible land masses, it's hard to say for sure. But after tossing that prophecy out so many times, the writers will need to close that loop. There's also the continuing threat from the rest of the Cylon fleet. It's hard to imagine that those models would just choose to live and let live.

The bottom line is that there's plenty of story still left to be told; the only question is when the Sci-Fi Channel will allow it to air. Current estimates give the beginning of the final 12 episodes around the first quarter of 2009, which probably means March 2009, given how the network parses words. In effect, it's the same wait that "Lost" fans are currently enduring, and far less annoying than the long hiatus of shows like "24". We can blame the writers' strike, but this is all about the network and their need to string out their one non-reality critical hit as long as possible.

In the meantime, there will be "Caprica" and perhaps another "Battlestar Galactica" TV-movie, similar to "Razor" last November. It will be a long wait, but at this point, I'm happy just to know that the series will come to a definitive and creator-driven end. Much like "Lost", the establishment of an endgame scenario long before the writing of the finale is just what the doctor ordered.
  • This episode was a top notch thriller that kept us on the edge of our seats for the whole hour! "All will be revealed" was a little misleading because MUCH has yet to be revealed….. and several new questions have been introduced.

Biggest immediate question, "Is this really Earth?" The admiral finally got to pick up a handful of earth (small e), but is it Earth's earth? Several viewers opined that the destroyed city looks like New York, and I could buy into that, but…. Most viewers think the planet looks like Earth, and as a beautiful blue planet seen from space, I could buy into that, too, but….. Did we see any distinctive continental shapes in the views from space? Did we see any other distinctive planets in the Solar System as the fleet approached? Did we see the familiar constellations that were used as a benchmark in the fleet's navigation? Answers: no, no, and no. I make no claims here, but we should be prepared for the possibility that this is not Earth (with the capital E).

Another big lingering question. "Who is the twelfth Cylon?" Is the final-final another Cylon skin-job or something else entirely. And who created him/her/it? There's clearly some "higher power" in play here, whether Lee, or D'Anna, wants to accept that.

Next question. Why the clever title, "Revelations"? Of course, some important themes of the show have been revealed -- but not all. There are other possibilities. The last section of the New Testament is "The Book of Revelations" and it describes the end of mankind (as we know it), the ultimate triumph of good over evil, and the beginning of something else entirely. So, have we arrived at the biblical post-Armageddon Earth? Or, was the destruction of the 12 colonies actually Armageddon and are we seeing the beginning of whatever comes after that? Maybe we all ought to go back to the Bible and read it against the whole show.

D'Anna had a great question: "All this has happened before… all this will happen again?" In the context of her remark at the time, Humans/Cylons tried to live together before and it didn't work out then….. are we going to live together after this truce but then go after each others throats again in the future (e.g., after we find Earth)? Or, in a much broader context, perhaps mankind been destroyed previously, been reborn, but turned out badly yet another time, was destroyed again….. and perhaps the combined fleet represents another reborning? And somehow Cylons have that larger perspective because of their relationship to their creator? And since they have created skin-job Cylons, "…in his image…" Damn, this is getting confusing. So, maybe, is BSG yet another variation on LaHaye/Jenkins' "Left Behind" series, or Beauseigneur's "Christ Clone Triology," or Rosenberg's recent series?
  • Great way to end the first half of the season in one of the great final scenes of an epidose. (Spoilers included below)

I thought that not having the 5th Cylon revealed in this episode before the break would be a huge disappointment. But I was wrong this episode is what makes this show so amazing. The buildup to the four Cylons being revealed and then almost airlocked was great. But the best part was the culmination of all their efforts to finally reach earth then to watch in amazement all of the looks on their collective faces of sheer heartrenching devastation. That is of course typical BSG cliffanger but after "Revelations" I think it finally hit home that this is the end Earth is in play and all we have left is the final pieces to the puzzle.
  • D'Anna forces four of the final five Cylons out of secrecy; revealing their identities to the entire fleet. Starbuck's viper and the four lead the way to Earth...

Wow. This episode was the best episode of the entire series (so far; as I'm sure the series finale will be the best). The writing was superb and the acting was top notch. Drama. Tension. Revelations. Closure (?).

D'Anna is my hands-down favorite character on the entire show. I was beyond happy when she came on the show, thinking, "Oh, she can never leave since she's a Cylon!" Then, she got boxed. But... She came back, and set things into motion that would lead to Earth.

The four of the final five being revealed to everyone was done perfectly. Tory discreetly going onto the ship (I'm glad Roslin was the first person to find out). Tigh telling Adama (which almost made me cry again; but I didn't, although the previous episode had me in tears at the end). Adam's reaction, to me, was unexpected but brilliantly done. Edward James Olmos better get an Emmy nod!

The entire sequence with D'Anna ready to push the button and Lee about the turn the key and Starbuck rushing to stop them was SO intense. I was literally screaming at the T.V. "Hurry Starbuck! Hurry! Run!" I just loved the whole thing.

Ah. Earth. After forever, they finally have the coordinates. The jump, with the counting down, killed me. I was like, "Oh my God, what's going to happen?" They made the jump and everyone celebrated. Great scene.

Then, they go down to the planet. That one long moving shot panning across practically every character was beautiful. The looks on their faces. Roslin looked almost as if she knew it was too good to be true. D'Anna's face was filled with shock. All the way across every one. Then the camera rose up to see the ruins of a city.

I think that city was New York City. I don't know about you. One of the ruins, looked like the middle part of a bridge (Brooklyn Bridge, maybe?) Who knows? But, I think it is (or rather, was) the Big Apple.

But, what of the final Cylon? Where is everyone on Earth? What happened?

Here are my takes on those questions.

The final Cylon is no one we know. I think the final Cylon was programmed to go to Earth when it was created. The Cylon "God" sent it there as a sort of beacon. The God didn't tell any of the other models because they needed to find their own way to Earth. But, the final Cylon gave them a little help; by sending the four the song to bring them together and then giving them the coordinates to Earth.

However, I think while all of this was happening there was some sort of nuclear war on Earth that destroyed all life (expect maybe that final Cylon) and the fleet got there a little too late.

It sounds crazy but I think it is too predictable for it to be any of the major characters. If it is one of the major characters, a lot of people might go, "I knew it!" and I don't think the producers want that.

I don't know but, I've strayed from the episode. It was the best episode and had the right amount of action, tension, drama, and resolution. And seriously, the best cliffhanger the show has ever seen (oh yeah, I said that; better than the one year later AND the Adama getting shot AND the Starbuck coming back COMBINED).

The BEST episode. Good job, BSG. I can't wait for 2009 and the rest of the season!
  • Cyclons hold hostages. The four of the Final Five is revealed. Earth is found.

This was a very well written episode. BSG always leaves you wanting more. The revealing of the four of the final five was perfect. The emphasis on each individual characters' diversity to the unveiling of their hidden destiny, amongst the five, was priceless. The question now is, what will happen to the allaince. Its not, will it last, but a question of how long. I dont think we have seen the last of the other non-allied cyclons either. Will the fifth of the final five help to shine light on the mystery of earth's destruction? Last thought: Will they rebuild or wander space for another season?
  • Just watch the show for Gods's sake. I can't telling you in words what your going to feel.

WHAT A SHOW. Turn after turn, twist after twist... and I just keep coming for more. This episode is exactly why I watch this series. The unofficial ending to the spring installment of BSG,you may have to watch this twice. The characters are at their finest here, especially Adama(which one you'll have to guess), and finally the Final Five are given their due. The plot included a definite twist at the end that I (or anyone for that matter) could've seen coming. I love BSG and will be sad to see it go. I could go on and on, but to say again, if you like BSG, WATCH THIS EPISODE.
  • The cylons get outed, Bill has a meltdown, Lee grows a pair, and who killed Earth?

Geeze, do I really have to wait until 2009? Frak. This is gonna be a bad wait, because can anyone say cliffhanger from hell? BSG sure is good with the cliffhangers.

Well anyway. The final four get outed. Well two of them do anyway. Saul and Tory out themselves. Tory first by going with Dianna when asked under the pretense of giving the captive President Roslin her meds. Tory's heel turn has been coming for awhile but still it was fun to watch. Loved how no one (not the Prez or Baltar was too shocked at the idea of Tory being one of the Final Five.) Oh speeking of which, it appears Roslin and Baltar have come to terms with each other. After last ep and Roslin almost killing/letting Baltar die, the talk was extremely well done. I liked it alot. Then there was Saul Tigh. Oh how I love thee. This episode was such a Tigh episode. Him telling William Adama that he was a Cylon was heartbreaking in so many ways. Tigh seriously manned....uhhh Cyloned up this episode with his plan to save the hostages. Kill me...Save them. Hell it was better then Les's plan. Kill them all and let the Gods sort them out.

Speaking of Lee, President Lee Adama came into his own this episode. Watching him comfort his father who had just had a meltdown was intense and then having him tell his father that he would take care of what needed to be done about Saul Tigh was amazing. The scenes between Saul and Lee were great. I loved how Saul called Lee "Apollo". Also, I loved how it was Lee who made peace with the Cylons and not Roslin. It made sense to me. Roslin as much as I love her (and for the record I do) she just isn't capable of it. Lee Adama is. Also loved the Starbucks reaction to finding out her hubby is a cylon. Loved the look in Anders' eyes. They basically said, "Love me anyway."

Oh yeah....and who killed Earth?

Love love love how they found Earth...together. Cylons and humans. Not alone. Together.

Plus....we still don't know who the final cylon is.

Earth isn't the final revelation.

So what is?

And when is 2009 again?
  • Possibly one of the best episodes of the series, but didn't feel like a mid-season finale cliffhanger. It felt like the entire series could have ended right here and now.

Best episode of the season, one of my all time favourites episodes in the entire series. I'm simply ... speechless after watching the episode. I mean, it would have been twice as better if I would have avoided reading spoilers and watching promo videos, but that's my lesson for the next episodes: no more watching previews.

So Kara Thrace isn't the final cylon. Neither is anybody else in the fleet, which means that the final cylon is either dead, or on earth. The final scene of this episode was the one that sent shivers down my spine and my jaw was dropped. Is the planet radioactive? That would really, really suck if it actually were.

But seriously: January 09' until the rest of the series continues? That's simply way too long. I have no idea where the show is headed right now, but things are getting so dark, imagine how shocking the series finale is going to be. There are so many questions that have been left unanswered.

Simply amazing. I simply cannot wait to see what this show has in store for us viewers next, it's going to be headed in to an explosive finale.
  • Revelations galore.

So I'm pretty sure that my jaw is dislocated at the moment...

As everyone else is saying, WOW. The last ten minutes were absolutely intense. During the final ad break, me and my friend were talking, and he was saying "I think they are going to find Earth..." and I was saying that they couldn't possibly find Earth in 15 minutes. But I was wrong. And Earth seems to be post-apocalyptic? Why do I have a feeling that it probably won't be quite that simple? Also the way that the whole cheering scene was done was beautiful.

Roslin walking in and just touching Adama's arm, and him getting back into his uniform was amazingly acted. Pretty much all of EJO's scenes were amazing in this episode. His reaction to Tigh being a cylon was pretty heart wrenching. I had wondered if he had any idea, but I guess not.

I was sure that Lee was going to hit the airlock button just before Kara ran in. It would have been interesting, and they haven't killed anyone off since Pike. I

loved how Tory went over right away. It's consistent with how she was last time we saw her. Laura and Baltar's reactions were amazing, especially Baltar insisting that he knew all along.

The look on Kara's face when Sam admitted to being a cylon? Amazing. I bet she was having flashbacks to the conversation in "He That Believeth in Me". I know I was.

Lee's speech, as always, was great. I am really starting to like this character change a lot more now that he gets to make a nice speech every few weeks.

A lot to look forward to next season; what happened with the 13th tribe, how is the human/cylon alliance going to work out, what about the ones, fours, and fives? What about Boomer? What about the opera house, and Hera, and maybe Nicky and CapriSaul child? How did Kara get to Earth? Who is the final cylon? What are the head people?
  • I love this show for numerous reasons, and this episode shows all of them, and one extra. Planet of the apes!!!

I am not a faithful fan because of the visuals or the acting, all supurb, but what I come back for is social commentary. I have always thought that science fiction is the best medium for difficult commentary. What is special about this show, perhaps once in a lifetime is the different audiences it can bring together. If only they could have changed the title, "battlestar" is off putting for my adult friends, specially when the original show was so...bad. I wonder if some of these terrorism or genetic type themes are even noticed by the throngs of preteens watching the show, but that is ok! The more audiences the better. For this epidode I have only one thing to say that shouldn't spoil the show, planet of the apes!!! We knew there was half a season left! Come on, I saw it coming.
  • Well, of course it's revealing, the episode is called Revelations.

Holy crap the final scene completely made me so happy. I had always wondered what direction they would go with that.(spoiler-free) I have loved they way they have handled every character since the beginning of this new season and Aright now I am pleased as punch with this cliffhanger. One of the greatest moments in the series was the scene with Lee and Bill Adama when Lee is consoling his father... marvelous. One thing that does disappoint me is the Caprica Six-Tigh affair going on, and I'm interested to see if they do something about that by the end.... whenever that may be. There were some great reveals with the reveals of four of the final five. With the way this episode ended I wonder what the importance of the final cylon. Not full of action like the last episode, but still incredibly done. The wait for the last ten episodes is going to be as bad as the wait for LOST's next season. Spectacular.
  • And the finally find Earth...

wow. I have no words for this episode - it was stunning. I had heard so much good about it and was waiting it but I was not ready for that.

First the situation they find it - D'Anna has taken all people has hostage and want final four (or three and Troi comes without problem). Adama has to makes hard decition and that leads to events that really are mind blowing - Tigh stands forward in order to save the fleet and those humans aboard Cylon baseship.. A music or something hits on again and before Tyrol and Sam are arrested, they let Starbuck know - that her viper is the key - and then when all is solved in very intense and nerve wrecking moment, they jump to Earth - to find a wasteland..

Just a brilliant episode!
  • Even the episode title couldn't prepare you for the last ten minutes.

While I was beginning to doubt BSG's ability to throw us with unexpected and unconventional story developments, given the slow pace of the season to date, I always hoped they were building up to something huge. And boy, were they ever. But I'll get to that in a bit.

BSG has always prided itself on putting the human aspect of a supposed science-fiction show ahead of the geek element, and episodes like this prove that doing so can have immense payoff when the story has to (by nature) take first place. Edward James Olmos follows up Mary McDonnell's Emmy-deserving performance in the last episode with his own knockout delivery here - his adamant denial of his best friend's nature, and then his meltdown only in the presence of his son, whom he's now evidently willing to trust as well as love and respect. He caps it all off with a stirring speech when the realisation of the Colonials' aspirations comes to pass at the end.

The ensemble cast put in a virtuoso performance in a plot-driven episode. The Final Four finally get unmasked, Lee steps up to the plate as President, and D'Anna's back to her insidious ways as, apparently, the new Cylon leader.

Right from the very beginning you could tell big things were going to happen in this episode. The intensity built right from where D'Anna took the Colonials hostage, through to Tigh's long-awaited reveal to Adama, through that suspenseful sequence where we wonder simultaneously: (1) will D'Anna commence nuclear war, (2) will Lee flush Tigh out the airlock, (3) what the frak is Kara looking for?

And then, just like that, it all comes together with that most unexpected of resolutions: peace.

But wait! Before you start relaxing, assuming the rest of the episode is wrap-up, a sudden jump through hyperspace ... and the fulfillment of three-and-a-half seasons of faith, doubt, and ultimately hope come to fruition.

But wait! They've made it to Earth, and that's great - but what do they find when they get there?

Frak me over.

Like most viewers, it caught me completely off-guard that they made it to Earth with hardly any notice (apart from the messianic music heralding a slow-motion juxtaposition), and for that reason their arrival had a little less impact than perhaps we might have wanted. But in true BSG style, the final tracking shot sets up a myriad of questions, in addition to the many we already had - for example, what's up with Hera and the vision of the Opera House? Is the Cylon God going to show up at some point and provide lots of expository dialogue explaining all the mythology that's built up? And most importantly, do the Cylons still have a plan?

Sadly, we'll have to wait some eight months to get the answers to these questions. But when BSG comes back, it will be the return of a show worth waiting for. And so say we all.
  • Absolutely astonishing! *SPOILER ALERT*

How much of this episode did I see coming? Hmmmmmmmm. None of it!

Never in a million years would I have guessed that Tigh would reveal his true nature to Adama, nor could I have predicted Lee's willingness to toss him out the launch bay. Tory's action once she saw her opportunity to join the Cylons was just about the only thing that was predictable. I would quite honestly be shocked and surprised if Edward James Olmos is not nominated for an Emmy for "Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series" for his performance throughout this season and for this episode in particular. His attempt at denial when his oldest friend revealed that his was a Cylon and his anguish as the reality of it set in was stellar. There was no stoic, stone-faced acceptance of this heart-wrenching news. He lashed out and then broke down. He became far more damaged than he was able to cope with and it overwhelmed him.

Although the fleet seemed to be on the road to Earth, I couldn't imagine that they were going to find it quite so suddenly. The moment the fleet jumped into Earth orbit, I knew something unexpected was in the offing. As the colonial landing craft began their approach, I wondered immediately "Why aren't there any orbiting satellites? Why has there been no intercept jets deployed when these UFOs approached land?". My immediate speculation was that they had arrived either at the time of the dinosaurs or after an apocalypse. The later turned out to be true. What will the human survivors do now? Will they figure out how to use the time distortions of the nebula where Starbuck "died" and was rediscovered to travel to Earth at an earlier time to try and avert whatever happened? Will they try to make the best of it on a burned out wasteland? Will they simply die out and let the circular flow of history begin the cycle again? I cannot even begin to second guess the writers of this show and I would not be so foolish as to try. They seem to know where they are going with this story and I will leave it to them. They haven't disappointed me yet and I don't think they will....unless the do a Sopranos-esque cut to black.
  • so what happens next

So I did watch the show on my DVR In which it is hard to get caught up on but what surprises my is the end after that but that the fans know of any how there are questions that haven't been answered and about who is the fifth cylon. Hey dont go all jumping to conclusions but surprise is going to happen in mid-season of 2009 to find out what takes place when the Adama and the others found out what happens but wonder do the viewers know who is the fifth cylon is and what did happen to earth when the crew landed and is more to what goes on.
  • Re-elect Lee Adama 2008; and Starbuck will be the cause of destruction of mankind

As others have mentioned, and I do agree, this was very much an episode about Saul Tigh. Tigh is the perfect soldier, and it shows in this episode.

To me, though, the greatest moment of the episode was with Lee Adama when the Admiral asked whether or not BSG should destroy the base ship of the rescue attempt failed. "It's your call, Mr. President." I felt that was when Lee suddenly felt the weight of office. He recovered quickly, and once Roslin dies, he will make a great President. Of all the characters in the show, Lee is my favorite.

I'm surprised that BSG found Earth. One jump? That's it? Rushed, but then again, that is one of the signatures of the show. The writers have always made great jumps: the the founding of New Caprica, the occupation by the Cylons, finding Earth. I haven't been disappointed by this show yet, and this episode certainly delivers.

I'm also glad that Earth wasn't filled with people. BSG landing in 2008 America would have been lame, and it's been done (The 4400; Galactica 1980). And this show has many loose ends to wrap up:

Is Baltar a prophet of the one true God, and what was up between he & Number 6 all these years? Will we see the reconciliation between the humans' & the Cylon's scriptures (Humans: There are those who believe that life here began out there" Cylons: All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again)? And will Starbuck be the cause of destruction of all humans?
  • Chief: Somethings changed. I just don't know what it is. SPOILERS

On the Cylon ship D'anna holds the BSG crew hostage until the 4 cylons are released.
    Adama, Roslin and D'anna use a raptor to dock BSG, D'anna says that the final 4 are free to join the other Cylon's if they choose.

Tori is the only one to go back with her as they leave BSG.

Roslin has given the orders to Adama that if the cylons don't back down then he is to destroy the cylon ship... with her and the others on it.
    D'anna stars killing the crew aboard the cylon ship until the other 3 cylons join her.

Tigh tells Adama he is one of the final 5, Adama doesn't take the news well and has a break-down (Of sorts), Lee finds his father distraught and takes control of the Tigh situation, Lee calls D'anna and tells her she now has 10 minutes to release his crew or he will fire Tigh out of an airlock!

Tigh then gives up the other cylons Chief and Sanders in order to force D'anna's hand further. All 3 are put in an airlock together, Starbuck is inspecting a viper ship that seems to hold a secret and realises it is ommiting a homing beacon to Earth. Lee gives the four cylons amnesty and invites D'anna on ship to share the news of Earth. D'anna releases the BSG crew aboard the cylon ship and the cylons and Humans decide to find earth together.

Roslin and Adama are reunited, Roslin tells Lee that he will have to be president again soon. She gives the order to find earth. The fleet celebrate as they reach Earth.

At the end cylons and humans step foot on Earth together!!! what a good episode! Very exciting.
  • A little rushed, perhaps.........

I was shocked with the pace of this episode, it did feel a little rushed towards the end, the revelations came thick and fast, almost too fast to keep up with. It could of been a 2 hour finale perhaps?
    Anyway, Tigh finally tells the Admiral that he's one of the final five and Adama's reaction was exactly how anyone would react if they found out their best friend of 30 years is a frakkin CYLON! Denial at first followed by utter devastation and despair. It almost destroyed him. It was highly emotional and very well acted. Kudos to EJO!
    The following scenes with Kara running to stop Lee were reminiscent of the final scenes in that great Australian war movie Gallipoli. I could almost hear that cheesy 80's electronic music! The tension was palpable.
    The reveal of the other three skinjobs was kind of an anticlimax to Tigh's scenes. After Kara's admission to Ander's about what she'd do if she found out he was a cylon a few episodes back ie blow his frakkin head off, I really thought her reaction would be a more powerful one, I was expecting her to kill him as he was being led away but maybe she's not as tough as she likes to think? I've been watching this show from day one and I've always imagined how they'd find Earth, I expected an Independence Day type arrival with the people of modern day Earth looking on in amazement and trepidation as this fleet of alien ships descends down on them. I certainly didn't expect it to happen mid season but I did find my self thinking 'this is so frakkin awesome, they're here!' so I was a touch disappointed to see them land on what looks like a post apocalyptic wasteland. Is it really Earth? I'm sure that's one of the questions the producers want us to ask ourselves.
    The fleet wide celebrations and the Admiral's speech were awesome, I felt like cheering with them! I actually thought that this mid season finale would be the final cylon reveal but we're going to have to wait some time before that happens. I'm not going to speculate on who that might be, everyone has an opinion and most likely everyone is way off the mark, well at least I hope so.
    Oh well, at least I'll have Heroes to tide me over until 2009!
  • Revelations provides the first steps towards closing the BSG mythology. The Humans and Cylons will finally confront their most dispised demons and most hopeful angels. The wanderers will finally confront their greatest dream.

I thought the episode was very well done. You are always wondering about how something can go wrong and how everyone will act once the "Final Five" are exposed. The remaining episodes now have a mark on the wall. The journey is over, or is it? The truth is out, but there are still some questions. How will the Humand and Cylons finally find peace, and will they survive their first exposure to...Earth?

Thanks to the magic of the internet, I have been able to view the first half of the final season. I use to buy it off of ITUNES, but now that NBC has broken ties (and their new provider does not open its content to folks in overseas locations) I have to find alternate ways of keeping up with BSG. Hopefully, NBC and ITUNES can work out its issues and make the final series available, especially since this is a plus for both sides (I am actually paying less through internet sharing). Either way, I look forward to the final episodes of a great series... BSG, frakking great.
  • Earth ... but not as we imagined it.

This one was simply mind boggling.

Diana starts calling the shots and orchastrates the whole hostage situation to get the final four back. Pretty cool stuff.

Adama's efforts to avert the crisis were admirable right up tot hte point that Sol gives himself up. Bill's response and subsequent breakdown was *powerful* acting. Lee cradling his father in his arms and promising to "take care of it" after Starbuck gives Leoben's "children replace their parents" speech was very touching.

Tori goes over to the Cylons. Well acted, I think, as I simply cannot stand her.

The weirdest thing was when Starbuck finds that her Viper "knows" the way back to Earth. I really hope that they start explaining things.

Lee and Diana break some seriously new ground by agreeing to co-operate, after Starbuck and Gaius respectively beg them to stand down.

Possibly the coolest moment of the series came when Adama threw caution to the wind and jumped to Earth. Seeing the fleet in orbit of the blue planet was mind blowing, and Adama's follow up speech was fracking incredible.

And then the bomb-shell - they all got to the "promised land" - but things were not as hoped for. Earth appears to be a radioactive waste land.

How will the truce carry on from here? How will the *other* Cylons react to this bit of news? What do the people do now? Is this place even inhabitable? How about the last of the 5 - do we learn their identity (I reckon it is Helo)?

We have 10 more awesome episodes to find out - and the "will they/won't they find Earth" debate has been put firmly to rest. Now all we want are some seriously good answers to all the many, many questions that were raised during 4 incredible seasons.
  • A fitting mid-season finale for a brilliant tv series

I echo many of the reviews for this episode on this site. Great visuals, superb acting, lots of payoff as the plot "jumps" forward.

I also particularly enjoyed the Adama/Tigh and Adama/Lee scenes. EJO was brilliant in this episode - he stole all scenes. Because he's usually so stoic, his recent episodes have allowed his superior acting skills - and his character's humanity - to shine through.

So as not to be a blind fanboy, I must admit there were a few things that could have been done a bit better. The editing seemed a bit clumsy in some ways to me. In particular, the discovery and voyage to Earth was all a bit quick. Given that finding Earth this has been the dominant theme and quest since the start of the series, it seemed to happen a bit too fast with little tension build-up.

Another example was the transition from suspicion/double dealing which characterized the Cylon Rebels vs. Colonials this season to suddenly being happy allies on a quest. It all seemed a bit too quick and missed the chance of exploring character's reactions and journey to accepting this leap of faith. Related to this, I felt that the decision to give amnesty to the 4 revealed cylons to be just a bit too simplistic. Remember how much fretting and drama surrounded trust issues with Athena, collaborators on New Caprica, Ellen Tigh etc... Hopefully these character issues will be resolved in the second half.

Still, this stuff is just nit picking. I'm not traditionally a huge scifi fan, but BSG on an average day is a cut above almost anything out there on TV. Revelations continues to raise the bar and I'm just holding my breath until January 2009.

Frak me!
  • The mid-season finale grandly sets the stage for the final batch. It is a perfect opportunity to look back on the series and how far everything -- and everyone -- has come. Some journeys are only beginning, but for others, we've a bittersweet conclusion.

Revelations may be only the mid-season finale for Battlestar Galactica's final season, but it unmistakably heralds the end of our journey. In many ways, some journeys have already been completed, and the episode's subtle and not-so-subtle nods in these directions are breathtaking and tragic. In light of the series' impending conclusion, the slightest of moments become bittersweet and meaningful, while the grandest boast proudly, "The face of this series has changed forever." As the Cylons and Colonials seem bent on mutual destruction, Col Tigh takes matters into his own hands and tells Adama the truth, offering himself as a sacrifice on the altar of truth and justice and the Colonial way. The moment is perfect, from the heartbreaking acting of Michael Hogan (noble to the last) and Edward James Olmos (in one of his rare displays of emotion), to the swelling music, and this being the mid-season finale of the final season, all bets are off.

But for every grand moment, there is one just as beautiful in its subtlety. Chief Tyrol, one of the most quietly self-assured characters throughout the first three seasons, is broken and re-made in season 4 into a lost wreck, reminiscent of The Dark Knight's Joker, at odds with the insanity of the entire world. Anders has the audacity to be surprised by the guards that come for him, but Tyrol laughs, appreciating the bitter irony of the situation. His haggard nod to Tigh is another understated, powerful moment, thanks to the reserved acting of Aaron Douglas.

The tension builds with expert precision... Tigh in the airlock alone seems doomed, yet when Anders and Tyrol join him, their safety in numbers is assured. Nobody would kill off three major characters with untold stories in one fell swoop -- so Anders and Tyrol are forced to leave, once again raising the stakes. Tigh yells, "What are you waiting for Apollo, do it!" and for a split-second the death of this tragic character is imminent, unavoidable, and wholly appropriate.

Before the choir-accompanied arrival at Earth is complete, however, another of the series' journeys is finally over: D'Anna repeats the religious mantra "All this has happened before," and Lee takes a bold step, replying, "But it doesn't have to happen again." And then the scene that everybody's been talking about since Revelations aired... its mind-frakking value is off the charts. It artistic beauty as a single, lasting image, is iconic. And the subtle moments it leaves us with are frightening -- for years we have watched these characters on their admirable search for a home they never knew, and now they are presented with the reality that that search had been for nothing. The sacrifices made have been for nothing. As we watch the characters adjust to their lot, clinging to each other when it seems they have nothing left (Tori's hopeless gesture; Caprica coming to Tigh's side), it's the embittered Tyrol that has the last, empty laugh.
  • Fantastic and shocking. Where can they go from here?!

What a fantastic finale. Utterly fantastic. They get to their destination half a season early and find it in complete shambles. Where the shows goes from here, who knows? But it was a great job at keeping the show fresh and exciting!

The acting was at its best in this episode. The ones who really shined though were Edward James Olmos, Michael Hogan, and Jamie Bamber. The entire cast though was all just really great. Lots of really good facial expressions from the cheif in this episode, and everyone's reactions to the big reveal at the end was also well-done.

I guess the one thing you can say against this episode was that the pacing was a litte weird, and it felt a tad choppy and likely would have served better as an hour and a half episode instead. But overall...simply an amazing finale.
  • One of the best, if not the best, episode of season 4. This episode has expanded the realm of BSG. And now anything can happen in the last part of the series. Whether it is a planet of the apes ending or an encounter with Aliens or the Gods.

Most of the 4th season have been a slow build up to some big finale. This episode was not the finale, but it expanded the realm of the series. If will begin to reveal spoilers from this episode and then discuss it now. So if you have not yet seen the episode, then stop reading. It was one of those hostage episodes as we see in all series. That was not that great. But what was good was the character-play. Saul Tigh reveals to Admiral Adama that he is indeed a cylon. And have always been. This upsets Adama, and you really feel what he feels. That is good acting and character writing. That Tigh is a cylon also is one of the things that expands the realm of the series. Because Adama has known Tigh for many decades. Tigh has aged. That dosent make any sense, because you had the impression that the human looking cylons could not age and was a new invention by the cylons. So this reveals more of the capabilities of the cylons. If it really is the cylons who have engineered Tigh and the other 4. Because if Tigh was also a Cylon 40 years before this series, then it means that the Cylons had much more technology back then. Technology and inside agents they could use to destroy human kind easily back in the first cylon-human wars. But they didnt. So i am thinking that some grander force is interfering with the cylons and the humans. Some higher order of Aliens or supernatural force. Something that has shaped the early stages of human kind on Kobold. And a force that has shaped the Cylons, and force their actions into some grander plan of the universe, that involves both humans and cylons. This theory of mine also fits well with the ending of this episode. 30 minutes into the episode the humans and cylons make a goody-goody peacy treaty of coorporation (im all for peace, but on the big screen it is sickening to look at). I was afraid that this episode would end with a star wars episode 1 kind of ending, where some alien yelled peace along side humans in a very campy and over the top way. But then the twist came. The twist was expeded. They follow the signal in Starbucks fighter. The humans and cylons arive at a blue planet they think is earth. But then the planet of the apes ending jump in. They are on the surface of a nuclear fallout ruins of a city. Earth has fallen. It has been nuked. But is it earth? If so when did it fall? If it is not earth, then it was a temporary homeworld of the 13th tribe. Or maybe it was some splinter group of the 13th tribe who settled at the planet, and was nuked by the 13th tribe. Or maybe it was a whole different civilisation. Maybe it is not even a human civilisation. Or maybe it is an ancient cylon civilisation. Or maybe it was earth, and that that was an ancient cylon civilisation.

But if it was earth, then who destroyed it? Humans them selves? Cylons or some unknown alien race? I think that it is some higher alien race. That will threaten the humans and cylons alike as a race, so that humans and all cylons have to unite.

It could also be a result of a higher alien power. The force that made Starbuck find "earth". A high race of Aliens, that are so advanced that they would seem as gods to humans and cylons. They very Gods/Aliens who lived in harmony with humans on Kopold. Now that could be a twist.

Anyway this whole series is so imagineative in its approach to religion, and the question of what has happended, what will happen and destiny.
< 1 2