Battlestar Galactica

Revelations

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2008 on Syfy

• This episode was a top notch thriller that kept us on the edge of our seats for the whole hour! "All will be revealed" was a little misleading because MUCH has yet to be revealed….. and several new questions have been introduced.

Biggest immediate question, "Is this really Earth?" The admiral finally got to pick up a handful of earth (small e), but is it Earth's earth? Several viewers opined that the destroyed city looks like New York, and I could buy into that, but…. Most viewers think the planet looks like Earth, and as a beautiful blue planet seen from space, I could buy into that, too, but….. Did we see any distinctive continental shapes in the views from space? Did we see any other distinctive planets in the Solar System as the fleet approached? Did we see the familiar constellations that were used as a benchmark in the fleet's navigation? Answers: no, no, and no. I make no claims here, but we should be prepared for the possibility that this is not Earth (with the capital E).

Another big lingering question. "Who is the twelfth Cylon?" Is the final-final another Cylon skin-job or something else entirely. And who created him/her/it? There's clearly some "higher power" in play here, whether Lee, or D'Anna, wants to accept that.

Next question. Why the clever title, "Revelations"? Of course, some important themes of the show have been revealed -- but not all. There are other possibilities. The last section of the New Testament is "The Book of Revelations" and it describes the end of mankind (as we know it), the ultimate triumph of good over evil, and the beginning of something else entirely. So, have we arrived at the biblical post-Armageddon Earth? Or, was the destruction of the 12 colonies actually Armageddon and are we seeing the beginning of whatever comes after that? Maybe we all ought to go back to the Bible and read it against the whole show.

D'Anna had a great question: "All this has happened before… all this will happen again?" In the context of her remark at the time, Humans/Cylons tried to live together before and it didn't work out then….. are we going to live together after this truce but then go after each others throats again in the future (e.g., after we find Earth)? Or, in a much broader context, perhaps mankind been destroyed previously, been reborn, but turned out badly yet another time, was destroyed again….. and perhaps the combined fleet represents another reborning? And somehow Cylons have that larger perspective because of their relationship to their creator? And since they have created skin-job Cylons, "…in his image…" Damn, this is getting confusing. So, maybe, is BSG yet another variation on LaHaye/Jenkins' "Left Behind" series, or Beauseigneur's "Christ Clone Triology," or Rosenberg's recent series?