Battlestar Galactica

Revelations

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2008 on Syfy

• In a word -- disappointing.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I was disappointed with this episode. [SPOILER ALERT] Yes, the standoff with the cylons was extremely exciting and suspenseful, but there were two major problems with this episode that ruined it for me.

First was Admiral Adama's breakdown. Yes, EJO's acting was brilliant, but the notion that Adama would completely fall apart over Tigh's revelation was simply ludicrous. Think about it: this is a man who lived through the complete annihilation of human civilization, and even when he thought his son was dead (in the miniseries) he didn't lose his composure. Now, in this episode, the humans and cylons are in the midst of a standoff with the fate of the human race hanging in the balance, and Adama completely falls apart, gets drunk, and collapses into a sobbing heap just because his friend admits he's a cylon?? Give me a break! The second problem with this episode is the ending. So they find Earth and it's a nuclear wasteland. So what? What exactly are we supposed to hope happens next? The humans and cylons seem to be friends now, so there's no conflict there anymore. They've found Earth. There's no immediate crisis to overcome. So I have no idea what we're supposed to hope for or who we're supposed to root for. Normally, in a season finale there is some kind of crisis or conflict that leaves you hungering to find out what happens next. The end of season 2 saw the cylons occupy New Caprica (which we knew would lead to horrifying consequences). The end of season 1 saw Adama shot (leaving us dying to find out what would happen next). Season 3 left us with the revelation of 4 new cylons and Starbuck's mysterious return (leaving us wondering what the 4 cylons would do and how the heck Starbuck returned). Now I have no clue what is going to happen next on BSG, and I honestly don't even care that much.

So this episode was a HUGE let-down.