Battlestar Galactica

Syfy (ended 2010)

123home123

Battlestar Galactica Fan Reviews (588)

• The best sci-fi show ever

Once in a while - not very often, to be honest - you will happen on a tv show that utterly and completely captivates you in every way. To me, Battlestar Galactica was that show. I don't know what qualities or aspects of the show that drew me in to such an extent, suffice it to say that I watched the whole series in a week's time or so.

I am not a movie or tv critic, so I will not give the show a rating - no season ratings, no episode ratings, no overall rating from me in this little review. Someone else mentioned the religious aspect of the show in a favorable way, and I have to agree. It gave the show a whole new dimension that I have never experienced in another tv show or movie. Except for the original Star Wars trilogy, that is.

To me, Battlestar Galactica was refreshing, highly entertaining and devastating for my productivity and social life. What more can you ask of a space opera?

Get it on Blu-Ray and start watching it today!
  • Interesting concepts

Battlestar Galactica is a one of a kind series for me. I've watched it fully once and I'm started rewatching it for a second run. I've caught many things that I missed and noticed some interesting concepts that were brought into this incredible space opera.

Firstly, I'd like to say at first the religious side of BSG in the beginning did not sit well with me. However, as the story progressed, I notice the religious side of BSG has deeper meanings and many interpretations. Even though I at first I did not like the blend of science fiction and religion, in the end it did bring some interesting concepts to the table and benefited the show greatly.

Now that I got that over with I would like to talk about some other aspects of the series. The characters progression is paced well and well it actually feels like they are real people with real problems.

The pacing in general was done well except I think two episodes which were "Black Market" and "The Women King" which were out of place and probably the series's weakest episodes.

The storyline and plot were thrilling and created a tense atmosphere which constantly had your heart beating. It is also filled with an enormous amount of plot twists which I love. And there are many heart-wrenching moments. The only inconsistencies with the storyline were some unanswered questions but in general I don't feel that it distracts that much from the plot since the good outweighs the bad, at least in this case.

The science fiction in this series is incredible. From using obscure swear words such as "frak" to the most incredible CGI space battles you will ever see. Most of the SF is explained and pretty well. This show was advertised as Science Fiction so that is why I was worried with the inclusion of religion. However, as I said before it added to the show immensely.

In conclusion, though this show did have a few issues, especially with its storyline, I do feel its probably one of the best shows I've watched and would definitely recommend it.
  • Blown Away!

I am so pleased to have decided to watch this series. I was expecting something throwaway but instead discovered a dark menancing scenario with real charachters and a thought provoking storyline. Wish I had given this a chance earlier. For anyone looking for some real SF give this series a look - you won't be disappointed.
  • The Zenith of sci fi

I not just a reimagined remake of a campy 70's series but it revolutionised and reinvented sci fi television
  • Long Live Galactica.

This is just pure genius. Ignore the negative Nancies on this one, and listen to all the great comments, I can't add anything that has not already been said. If you have a chunk of your precious time to dedicate to a show that will take you on an emotional journey. With some of the finest acting, writing, plots, character development and production of any Science Fiction show ever. Then my friend, this is for you. Long live Galactica............
  • Battlestar Galactica Re-imagined

Battlestar Galactica Re-imagined is one of televisions best sci fi Epic series to ever be produced. I truly enjoyed watching this series from start to finish and I was blown away! The format of the show was engaging and made it easy to follow the stories. The characters were deeply developed over time and it was interesting to see all the growth as they endured trials and tribulations. The space scenes were amazing and very cool. On a grand scale this series seems to be produced with calculating sense, and every thing fell into place perfectly. I really enjoyed the themes which the show explored, giving insight into human nature and behavior. The Cylons were pretty Frakkin cool as well, and their sleek ships beautiful. The ending of the series was explosive and well written. I love how it all tied together and made sense out of everything, also tying the story in to our modern day world, which I love when a series like this can do that! I will definitely be watching this entire series in marathon from time to time because it is just that awesome!!!!!!!!!
  • MuuUuuUust BuuuUUyyY!!!

i just joined so that i can tell people " this is a must have movies " its coming from a guy who also like Dexter, the OZ, the shield, 24, Rome, the wire, Lost, Supernatural, Heroes, Band of brothers...this is my 1st sci-fi series i ever had...
    Good story line, fascinating, enough action & drama!
    love the casting!
    i am not a fans of these type of movie but now this totally changed my mind!
    now i am busy reading reviews of all kind of different sci-fi series on the market.
    i will probably start watching farscape...had read many glowing reviews about the show
  • This episode is about the discovery of who we want to be; about the distance between who we are, and who we will one day be.

An episode about how we achieve humanity, and how we often go wrong. The direction, writing and acting is flawless. I was in tears on four occasions, feeling the yearning of all the characters to be better than they are, stumbling and blind, seeking the sun.

The agonizing confession of Baltar, the redemption of Roslin, the courage of Athena, the pain of Helo, the resolution of D'Anna, the steadfastness of Adama, and the loss of immortality.

This is truly the finest episode of an extraordinary TV series.

Don't worry if it's been a while, go back and watch this episode, then watch it again.
  • As good as you've heard.

Spoilers people!!

I mean it. Stop reading now if you've ever even thought of watching this show. Go watch it, you won't regret it.

Ok, lets get this out of the way - A wizard did it. While I found it disappointing that they specified this, I still can't hate the show for doing it. If you didn't realise they might do this coming into the last episode, then you really weren't paying attention.

Personally I prefer shows to let the viewer make their own mind up about religion, intervention by a higher power doesn't have to equal God, but the writers defined it as that and that's their choice. In a way that's kind of a ballsy thing to do, as I'm sure they realize they'd alienate some fans this way.

Setting this aside, the show started ok, a relatively good little space opera, an improvement on the original. Nothing in the mini-series really spelled out just how good it would become and only a few glimpses in the first season (33s) really showed the full potential.

Once the Kobol arc kicks in though the show is full on until the end of the series. Yes the bad season 2 episodes are bad, but a few wobbles a season are allowed in any tv show when the writing, acting and effects are this good.

It never ceases to suprise, whether in the intelligent writing, story twists and for a 'non-HBO/Showtime/etc' show, just how far they are willing to push what you can get away with - not to put to fine a point on it - making it probably the first 'mature' SF show and I'm not talking about sex. In this respect it owes a debt of gratitude to many earlier SF TV shows, but instead of pushing forward the boundaries, it drags them all the way into the 21st Century.

I have the odd gripe about the series, but they're minuscule in comparison to just how good this show is. That's why it gets a 10.
  • The Darkness of Space

This show is not just my favorate sci-fi show ever but it's my favorate show in general. This show I can't help but feel it was just made for me. It is just so perfect for me I can't find one thing wrong with it nor do I want to so you won't find me saying anything bad.

Yeah I saw the original 70's show it's derived and I like it but I don't really love it. This show I feel is a great example of a revival/remake done the right way but also just providing us one of the best final fronteer sci-fi's I've ever seen, the show is a Philp K. Dick like tale.

There are just lots of great things about the show, I love the CGI, effects and even the set pieces it all loods good. I really bought and believed in this final frounteer universe the show is set in and loved the designs of the ships and seeing how worn they looked giving an sense of time and age. Just seeing this shows what happens when you use those three elements the right way. The atmosphere was dark and moody, the battle sequences are great, it's true their a bit brief and there is some shakey cinamatography. But the shaky cinamatography I'll admit I'm not fond of this technique but in this show it's used the right way I feel gave that feeling of how realistic and intense the battles really are, plus it wasn't so shaky where I couldn't see who shot who I acutally could see it. And also the cinamatorgraphy gave the show and almost documentry feeling since most of it felt like or probably was shot with a digital camera, it really help give that feeling not just of how realistic things are but that your the other character that is in this universe and currently filming what is happening in in. This also helped with the atmosphere making it tense and suspenseful because you know something is happening but there isn't anything you can do about it.

However despite all of this what made the show really work were the characters and the development they all went though. All of them just feel papably realistic as if all of them could exist. I'll just say a few characters that are my favorates. Athena (Grace Park) she is just a great character let alone the actress I think is hot as hell as well as good. She is the most sympathtic and complex, she started off as a mere spy with a mission but then decided to defect because of her love for a human. And of course she has to struggle with gaining trust and living among the humans. Helo he's my second favorate. His character is somewhat of a peacekeeper, from his relationship with
    Athena it has widened his view on the Cylons making him realize that not all of them are evil, and he does the best thoughout the show to make sense out of the madness and maintain some sense of fairness.

I really love the relationship both characters have in the show they have great chemestry I really bought them as best friends turned lovers, it's almost simlar to the romance story in two anime series "Gundam 08 MS Team" and "Macross" which both had a man and woman from different sides of the war falling in love with one another. The other thing I love about the relationship is there is a universal sensablity about it, it could be about two people of a different religon, one whom is handcaped, just any kind of relationship you can think of which always had to do about two people being different and are persecuted because of the simply fact they love one another. This made me route for both of them even more because what they feel for each other isn't wrong, to say love is wrong or even try to destroy it is a crime.

What I love is how at times your feelings about the characters can be mixed or even change which made them all the more realistic. At time what they do could put you at odds with them. Were also not sure of what to feel about the war since there is sort of a grey area, were not sure how the war was started and the Cylons motives are enigmatic. But it's also facnating how both the humans and cylons are struggling to put sense and meaning into their existance and what being human really means.

It gets at issues of falabilities, distrust, racism, redemption, ethical boundaries how much we are tempted to break them and the importance of maintaining them. As well as extensial phylosophical concepts on humanity and existance.

Battlestar Galatica takes you to the darkness of space and beyond.
  • Frak! I didn't want it to end. But when it did, I wanted to watch it all over again.

The creators took a show from my childhood, and brought it up to date. They aged it appropriately to capture the kids, now adults, who loved the original. It was brilliant. It was edgy, it was dark. While watching it, I always felt cold. The ship was dark, damp, and musty. It's no wonder people longed for companionship. There were great twists and turns. Your loyalties were turned end over end. The writing, complete to the last episode, was superb.

I for one, have started collecting the DVDs. I will watch it again.
  • The best show i've ever encountered ???

i'm not a TV geek, or a scifi person. When i watched the show for the first time (it was Flesh and Bone epi) i didn't like it, or didn't understand what the hell is going on so i gave up. But then i've heard a lot of reviews -good ones- about it, so i decided to give it another try i searched for a good episode and chose the Farm & Home1, and i was AMAZED. the acting of Katee, Jamie, Grace was so outstanding. i just loved it and bought the whole 4 seasons at once and started watching. the characters: they're what make a show success or total crap. All of them delivered a fine act a very believable and likable acting, starting with the Admiral, the old man, loved every part of his dilemmas. Mary is just weirdly great. Starbuck, wow, where to begin?! Katee is my fav actress right now. And knowing that she and Helfer are friends is just great.
    Bulter is a different story, he's good and insane but i didn't like his character that much, i mean they just should have thrown him off an airlock and get rid of him. Loved the little moment when Kara walks in on him with the imaginary Caprica in season1, the look on her face was so funny that i laughed till it hurt.

the writers did a fine work in the development of the story and characters, and gave them depth and personalities. it's just a great show, there are no words to describe it, it's just great. Till now i haven't seen any show that lift up to BSG's level. P.S. i watched TSCC just because it's about Robots. And i didn't regret it.
  • Great show, it is sad to watch last episode...

I love everything about this show the plot, characters, scenes. There is not even one episode that I can call boring or unnecessary or foolish. The show connects everything very well, like passing from multi god religion and Greek mythology to one god religion. The concept of angels and creation. I am happy to say that the plot is written so wisely and intellectual for a TV show , and thanks to writers for that.
    And a really superb ending for this show but I would be happy if a saw more scenes of Lee and Starbuck. This is one of the shows that I really miss to watch.
  • BSG is one of the best TV shows ever created and if you like Sci-fi you will love it.

I watched it when it first aired many moons ago. I was hooked. Then the TV series started and I couldn't watch it for some reason. I just never bothered. Then I heard it was awesome. I knew it would be and so I netflixed it and watched every single season to catch up. I then watched the second half of the fourth season in 'real time' and I was so thrilled by every moment because every moment counted. BSG is one of the best TV shows ever created and if you like Sci-fi you will love it.
  • It´s incredible thrilling for any watcher: fans of science fiction or not.

It's incredible thrilling for any watcher: fans of science fiction or not.
    I'm a science fiction fan long before I watched this serie. But I have no words to tell how I feel after I watched it. Probably amazed because this is one of the best series I ever watched.
    Battlestar galctica is the most real science fiction serie. And the story is a real piece of art. It's hard to describe it in any other way, because the story is so wonderfully written that the suspense, the emotion and the action feel almost real. Like you are right there in the middle of their fight for survival.
    And the merit must be shared with the cast. They really do a very nice job.
  • Battlestar Galactica is spectacular,Brilliant and well written & directed. this show is one of the Best Sci-Fi Series .

I love Star Trek,I love Smallville, I love Aliens and just when I thought that there is nothing more that can match the thrill in sci-fi domain ,there it is Battlestar Galactica! I truly enjoyed it.
    It's different, it's exciting, it's superbly directed and produced. The actors are so vivid, the visual style is fantastic, the music is inspiring, the plot is great, everything is just done right. One of the best, if not the best, SF series ever. I'll go even further and say that for me it's one of the best series on TV all around .
    The story lines are just first class and the characters are first rate. I don't remember the original series (I wasn't born when it came out), but i did recently check it out, sorry but this newer up to date show is far better. Great acting and special effects.
    The reason I love this show is because it has at its heart a human drama, it shows how real people might react if faced with this situation. It uses real life occurrences in order to make it real.
  • So Say we all......

Excellence personified. Superb ending but wanted to see Cylons get a bit more of a kicking. Caprica pilot looked just as interesting. Thanks for an enthralling ride BSG.....SO SAY WE ALL. Adama(The Old Man), a genuine leader despite the floors, warts and all. In the end the real reason the 12 colonies survived all their tribulations. The Cylons realised their all to disturbing human traits and disappeared to everyones releif. Kara Thrace was able to sidestep her fate and save her people. Sad for Lee though. Never got to get it on properly with Starbuck and Dee couldn't take any more before the final scenes were set. Baltar disturbed, shallow, selfish but very funny. Finally got to understand what the struggle was really about but is still an arrogant b*****d. Finally the Cylons......frakin' toasters, send them all to oblivion !! Bring on CAPRICA !! So say we all !
  • This show is one I will remember all my life. So say we all!

Simply a work of art. As a fledgling writer, I find myself frustrated by the writing on television. So little of it means anything-they're far more concerned with entertaining the masses than making something worthwhile. Battlestar Galactica is a work of art that speaks to the humanity in all of us, while also providing some wonderful space battles.

The characters are the focus and drive of this show. It isn't slick, it isn't glib, it is raw and amazingly moving. One of the only shows to ever make me cry. Moments like the end of Sine Qua Non, Adama's speech in the miniseries, and Roslin's "I am coming for all of you!" promise are simply flawless, and make the viewer grateful to be watching. Thank you, Ron Moore. You created an emotional rollercoaster, and I'm glad you took us all along for the ride.
  • I am pleading for more people I know to watch it!!

Beautiful i believe is the right word
    everyone presumes itll be stupid aliens but please!
    THERE ARE NO ALIENS
    and anything futuristic is always tiptoed into realisticlly. ie. the religion they have is constructed from acient greek and roman etc, and their committment to it is no more fanatic than some Christians in real life.
    Please watch it but not with a sceptical head, you'll only riun it for yourself

The first season was somehow not too addictive but that got sorted in the next season and i couldn't watch season 3 fast enough
    havent got onto season 4 yet but i've only heard good things

Id also like to put one of these:
    I LOVE KARA THRACE!!!
    xx
  • THe best tv show on tv. Not lost or heroes, this is the masterpiece of tv Sci-fi show. Thats it the best show on TV

Ok maybe it is slow the second half of this episode. But really its incredible how good a show can be. Not all the bad episodes, bad writing, bad character development as in heroes or lost.
    Battlestar galactica will be the best, clasic of Sci-fi. I really belive this show will change all the crap in tv right now, just to make an effort an be as good as this show.

THe first part was amazing in the edge of the seat tipe of episode, the second half, makes complete sence if you think about it.

Battlestar have always been about the characters and their realtion ship with destiny and "divine" powers. And the war, is just the mirror, the way human acts. Cylon or not, we are violent and irracional. So the only way of not doing that is by, giving up everything we have achive, because that makes us, go back to zero.
    So i think this is a perfect ending for a perfect show.

Lets say good bye to the best show on TV.
    All say we all
  • Wow. Just wow. A superb ending to a superb show.

It has been a couple of years since I started following Battlestar. I remember having to watch a couple of episodes before the show struck home, but ever since then I have been dying to discover the fate of the characters and of the remnants of human civilization. Though several episodes over the years annoyed me for not bringing the storyline forward, the majority were excellent. Cudos to the writers for creating such a dynamic and multifacetted saga. I was a bit worried for the end game - would it be all drama and no answers? Instead of dissapointment I find myself allmost in shock over this close to religious experience that the final episode almost was. Not only did they succeed in making an action packed last adventure, but also in giving the viewers a plausible explanation of applied probability theory in a cosmic setting. In short - I am speechless.
  • All good things...Humans and Cylons fight survive

After the many years of watching BSG it was really a fitting end and a well deserved rest. It would have been a bold and depressing ending if the whole human race had been obliterated. It would also have been surreal had the humans blasted the Cylons to Kingdom come.

In this ending, the humans escape to find refuge on the only speck of life in the a million light-years, our Earth. The characters were allowed to flourish in the 5 years it was on. Knowing where they started only added to the richness of the individual.

It really was character driven. Like the West Wing, it's a show that I will truly miss.
  • A complete and total triumph.

When this story began six years ago I always had one lingering, nagging doubt; that there is no way the writers and producers of this show will come up with a satisfying ending. I am old enough to have watched the trainwreck that we called Galactica 1980. Ooof, I still get the shivers. But somehow they did it. They really did it. They gave me a show that left me as satisfied as any show has done in the past. Every plot point was satisfied, every arc was completed, and, beyond all belief, they found Earth and the ending made sense. After watching this finale, I feel this show is as good as any show on TV. Congrats to Ron Moore and his crew. I should have never doubted you.

Tom in Vegas
  • Contrary to those crying Deus Ex Machina, the finale has stuck true to the show's plot and opens up healthy interpretation of about the themes of Battlestar Galactica.

I see so much critics yelling out that the God explanation was a cop-out for the show. No - it was not a cop-out. It may have actually been brilliance in the fact that it ties so many of BSG's themes together in such a profound way. BSG is not a story where you read from front to end, close the book, and trash it. You're going to probably need to brainstorm an essay afterwards. The ending result is based on the viewer's interpretation. To simply think that the explanation was "Oh, it's God..." is just asinine. And this is not a surprise. From the mini-series Head Six mentions that God has a plan and that he's going to execute it. As Adama says in the retirement speech of the miniseries: "You cannot play God and wash your hands of the things you've done." Introducing an actual god was smart for the show. It is not unsolvable, it is just that if you interpret and analyze the explanation in a different way, you won't like it. He made a plan and sent Head Six and Baltar to carry out the plan. The plan was to restart life. He loves his creation, and he does so so much that when his (imperfect) creation becomes its own cancer (war and such), he doesn't just wipe out existence and go BAH! He had his creation start over. Again and again. He watches over his creation, always hopeful that this time his creation will only hold the good and not the bad. Even this God needs his own leap of faith and hopeful sentiment. And this is a real theme in the show. Trusting and making leaps of faith, living hopeful lives. It's about the responsibility of being all powerful. There are so many varying degrees of playing god. Humans played god on the cylons. the final five played god on their skinjobs. Cylons playing god on their own centurions. a higher being playing god on his humans and cylons!

A good analogy for why this God did what he did is such that Ellen created Cavil. As much as Cavil emulated the bad characteristics of life, Ellen continued to love him. Even after all that he's done, she believes that he could change. God didn't just get rid of his creation. "God is love." He loved his creation and he believed we could change, also. This ending creates so much discussion on philosophy in spirituality, morals in humanity, and the nature of mankind. What we need to do is not just close the book after the last page, but to really analyze the themes of BSG. Like Olmos says, 25 years from now this show is going to be a fine wine. Acting was great. Cinematography was great. Pew pew! was awesome. And Bear McCreary does his finest work. Well played.
  • A perfect ending to a brilliant series

Absolutely brilliant, i loved the way the series ended, tying up all loose ends (I think) Bit confused about Starbuck, was she an angel that everyone could see? So many times series have ended with you asking even more questions (a la X-Files) but this one finished it off nicely, I particularly like that we are 150.000 years later, that made sense, although what a surprise it would be if someone unearthed a fossilised raptor ! Hopefully they wont ruin this landmark series by creating a prequel or some spin off like "The Cylon Wars" (Mind you I would probably still watch it !)
    All in all excellent, yet another brilliant series over with, first Stargate (OK not quite in the same league)then the Shield, Now Battlestar Galactica, I can only hope that the creators come up with something equally brilliant in the future.
    I believe the stand out actor of this entire series has to be James Callis (Baltar)obviously without him (and six) None of this would have happened. Callis played his role perfectly throughout every series and episode he was in, that's not detracting from the rest of the cast, i thought EVERYONE was brilliant, anyway there you have it.
  • Frakking sad final...

It is over, again...! 3 times now. So the only possible line of action is to start asking for the another turn!

It was a long road since I first almost died by a heart attack, when I first saw that Starbuck would be a girl... but since I loved her from The Education of Max Bickford, I gave it a try...

Biggest mistake : not use the original Galactica Theme, that one will be always remembered, and some seconds at the pilot and at the final wasn't enough.

Now lets hope that Caprica doesn't take much to be on screen.

The better: Katee Sackhoff is really an Angel.
  • After 5 years on the air with four seasons and a couple of films I have to say that this is the greatest sci-fi ever produced, including classics as Star Trek, Star Wars and such.

I just watched the finale episode of Battlestar Galactica and find myself... stunned. I have been following this show since the beginning, watched all the webisodes, but haven't considered myself a BSG-freak, but now I am considering to become one. The production value and the story-telling in this show is absolutely fabulous, the acting and the special effects leave you breathless from time to time, and before all, the way the whole series seems thinked through is nothing else than beautiful. For some time I have been fearing that the series would have some kind of half-bad ending with a whole lot of loose ends, but no-no, the summarize of this show is one of the best I've seen, both in shows and movies. In other words, it would be totally worth it to watch all four seasons, the films and the webisodes just to experience this ending.

Absolutely stunned.

Thank you for five years of top notch entertainment, and thank you for a splendid ending that will make me love this series for all times.
  • It HAD to end this way, because it has always been about us.

It all clicked into place after Galactica's last jump, away from the cylon colony. As the Earth rose above the moon, you could easily discern the continent of Africa. The end of season 4.0 showing Earth in ruins, well I could not understand why nothing they showed looked familiar (like the Statue of Liberty in Planet of the Apes). As for how the series ended as a whole, well you can please some of the people some of the time...... I thought it all fit well. It answered a lot of questions and asked a few new ones. I am really disappointed to see it end, but I can live with the way it did. I loved the entire ride with all of its perfection and flaws. And if you didn't like the end, well that's just too frakkin' bad.
  • shame its ended

The last episode was utterly awesome and i the way that it ended guess there wont be any follow ups. guess you cant have a battlestar galactica without the actual ship it just wouldnt be the same, but why they abandoned technology is beyond me, simple technology would help them and they started off without it so surely they must of known that sooner or later it would crop back up and why didnt any archeologists discover the raptors there were plenty flying around earth and i bet they didnt get rid of them. And why did kara just dissappear. shame its ended i think i kind of liked the fact of flying around in space. technology wouldnt make that all happen again because theyd no what to and what not to do with it. last half hour of it really dissapointed. but the rest was awesome.
  • for those who are still watching the first three seasons and think they are awesome, wait until you watch season four...

simply, it gets better every season. Personally, season four is the best of all. knowing that this season will be the ending of that show I still wish if there was another one...
    for those who are still watching the first three seasons and think they were awesome seasons, wait until you watch season four. Its absolutely amazing with lots of changes of events. The whole story line will take you to another dimension. If you're the type of person who likes predicting whats gonna happen next, then good luck with this one, cuz you might get only a few of these right...
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10