Battlestar Galactica

Syfy (ended 2010)

123home123

Battlestar Galactica Fan Reviews (590)

• Terrible. Makes me want to throw up.

This show is probably the worst sci fi series EVER MADE! So freaking boring, I fall asleep while watching it. And the action scenes make me gag. When I saw the first action scenes in the mini series I threw up my dinner, it was so awful. Sci Fi Channel's best move of the century would be to cancel this show and take it off the air. They should have never remade this show. It should have stayed in the vault where it belongs. Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis both surpass this show by several million lightyears. If you want to see a REAL sci fi series, check those two out. Especially Stargate SG-1, now THAT'S a classic.
  • Drivel.

I was addicted to Battlestar Gallactica when I was young and had great hopes for the new series, unfortunately it is completely different. I find the new Battlestar Gallactica to be worse than drivel. Worm excrement, maybe, even that sounds too good for it. The characters are not compelling, the plot lines are atrocious and it is a complete waste of time and money. Why on earth they put so much effort into a horrible re-make of a really good show is anyone's guess. It has been posed to me, by my teenage daughter, that maybe the writers' brains have been on strike for the whole of the new series, perhaps she is correct....
  • I'm rooting for the robots.

Good special effects can't save this show from its uninspired dialog, sleepy stories, mediocre acting, and two-dimensional characters.

The show's central failure can probably be attributed to its inability to break the mold. There's nothing really new to see here. The main characters behave in predictable ways to predictable conflicts. The mythology behind Galactica is about as shallow and underdeveloped as the characters that inhabit it. For instance, why are there so many references to Earth culture in a show that does not originate from it? In an early episode, someone mentions that Apollo's call sign is a reference to a Greek God. Unless Caprica is some parallel-universe variation of Earth, it's pretty unlikely that they knew about Greeks, much less Greek Gods. This example among many others displays a lack of attention to detail that good science fiction relies on to make the viewer believe that what they are seeing is actually happening.

Fundamentally, good storytelling depends on convincing you, the viewer, that these characters are real (and that the environment they live in is real) and you should care what happens to them. For me, the writers have failed to do that. I think the Cylons might be right: These humans ARE inferior.
  • I have tried to like this show I really did watched the miniseries, season1, and about 90 percent of season 2 but I\\\\\\\'m sorry I don\\\\\\\'t like the revamped version.

I understand the creator of the new version got tired of clean techno babble filed Sci-fi after his work with Star Trek but apparently he also grew tried of all the positive aspects of the trek universe too. Instead of survivors working together to escape their enemy and doing their best to save the last elements of their race we see a bunch of degenerate misfits devolving into every base behavior you can imagine. No one seems to give a damn that there are only 47,000 people left crammed into slow civilian ships that make perfect targets oh no the males on the show are too busy beating their chests in measuring contests while women either stand around looking lost or are furiously bed hopping. Its clear Ron More has a dim view of humanity and it shows in his “revamped” show.

More points that to me make no sense what ever

Faster then light Star Ships armed with missiles and machine guns… totally nonsense. any civilization capable of FTL flight would’ve devloped some form of directed energy weapons.

Baltar’s imaginary cylon pal

This is just about the dumbest part of this show this fool is running around talking to a voice in his head like a psychotic madman and no one notices… Common!!!!

I so wish Richard Hatch’s version had been the one made not this crap.

Gary
  • The Concept is simple: lets take Battlestar Galactica and completely butcher it. Changing characters, erasing plots, and spitting on the franchise. All this and being called a Classic by today. Disgusting, really.

I have not much to say about this rehash. It's mediocre, dull, and it completely ruins the series. Besides changing characters completely and destroying plotlines set by the original this show just loves trying to think its so cutting edge.

Truth is, it's not.

This show may have some interesting concept plots, but it does not save it. Its characters are uninteresting and cliche, and all of the things that made Battlestar truly timeless is desecrated and removed. Despite this, many people call this a classic. Such a thing is foul. I honestly do not understand why this show has gained so much water in television today.

Avoid this show.
  • This show would be a lot better if it had less romance.

It just seems like this show will never end but this show does have a lot of action and I love a good action show. But the thing that annoys me the most is all of the clones in this show. And another thing this show has to much twists and turns that why I do not like this show. Maby someday I will work up the courage to start watching this show again when this show starts getting better. And I don't get the storyline for this show. The characters are alright but their are to many characters to keep track in this show.
  • Cause they were/are mad. (And not the good kind)

I have dim memories of being about ten years old and after sunday lunch (or was it before)of watching the original Battlestar Galactica in all it's seventies fashion crime, cheap SFX, slightly sexist glory. The point of alot of Sci-Fi of that time was to entertain, not be too complicated and generally be a lot of fun. Whilst TV (And thankfully fashion) have evolved it seems to me that TV exces have taken a title and a few names, slapped modern all over it and turned it into a TV series. Don't get me wrong I do love a good bit of Science Fiction but it seems that the new Battlestar Galactica would have been better off being a brand new Sci-Fi series rather than a supposed 'reimagining' of an old one.

'Realistic' and 'Gritty' have been used to describe the show. The only 'Gritty' thing about it is the feeling your eyes get from all the mixed-up highly over done non-realistic storylines.

The polictics of it, Very modern, female president and all, focus on the non-engaging politics of the
    military/government power struggle taking us away from the point of the original show - To shoot crazy robots.

Some of the storylines are totally beyond belief. Anybody situation like we're supposed to belive these people are in, who believed that they may have planted bombs, like Boomer in 'Water' would have carted themselves straight to the brig. We're supposed to believe the Cylons created Number 6? Even if Baltar has the whole 'Mad Scientist' thing people don't report him for his frankly bizzare beyond reason behaviour.

For a first season this show is overly complex which I think
    will alienate a lot of casual viewers and honestly some of it's original fanbase.

It's focus is somewhat jumbled switching between one confusing plot line to another. Its focus is so far away from Starbuck and Apollo most of the time that it may as well be a different show. There isnt much time to learn the characters names or even really begin to care about them.

A catagorical dissapointment. And a set back for Female Sci-Fi leads.
  • As a SciFi Show BS is lacking. This is A SCIFI Show People, Remember SCFI. This show has litle of it.

As a SciFi Show BS is lacking. Come one now, you can fly at lightspeed but they still use projectile weapons. The president is dying of cancer and they can not save her, Chinese medicine as been Curing Cancer for years. The show is a on going depression, with out any real good pleasure moments. Now yes there whole race is close to extermination and all that, but who really wants a to sit and watch the same thing we see on the news, just in a different format. This is A SCIFI Show People, Remember SCFI. This show has litle of it.
  • Too Dark ,sometimes i think it is too heavy and too sad

4.8
    Yes , when almost all the people of your planet is been destroyed and all your friends , and your parents and relatives you can't be happy .
    Yes , it is sad to loose all you have and live in a starship with too many people , in little space .
    But you cannot have only angry , sadness and unhappiness .
    Old Battlestar was a little bit stupid , they always laugh ,
    but I prefer a positive view of the world and of the life.
    I like action and in this show you have people that always think to their big problems.
    This show stress me , we have our real nightmares in this world we don't need others on tv
  • 30% of the viewers has left the show, it easy to see why.

After have seen two great seasons of BattleStar Galactica I've get kind of used to the shows *money saving" episodes.
    It looks like they try to send some very low budget episodes to save money for the rest. Is the show so low financed? With that many viewers?

The beginning of season 3 has all looked that way, So it can't be a surprise for the producers that the show now loosing ground. If the average score for season 1+2 is 9.3
    I can't give the beginning of season 3 more than 8.0 this excludes Exodus part 2 wish was the best episode so far on season 3 (my Score 9.2). We who loved the show can just hope that the producers rais the budget and give us a show that looks like 2006 and not some low budget 1980's story.

A good thing is (for the producers) that there is not so many scifi space shows right now, If it had been the show had prob. dropped a lot more than 30%.
  • 1)Dialogues and characters are caricaturized. 2)Flaws in ambiance and cultural infrastructure 3)Some unnecessary filler episodes

May include spoilers for those who have not watched yet...

Ok, I have just finished watching season 1, and there are a few things that are bothering me about this show..

1)Why does the whole presidential paranoia and the system of government of the 12 colonies so much resemble and remind me the current US governmental system? The press-room, flags, the bodyguards, elections, over-praising of democratic system of government, power/authority struggles etc...Why don\'t the people of twelve colonies have their distinct/specific governmental system?

2)There are at most 50000 people in the fleet yet there are already more than 10 reporters and journalist flooding the presidential press-room. Why the need for reporters, are there any tv, radio channels broadcasting to civilian vessels? Considering 50000 population is about the population of a town, is it usual for a town to have 10 different media groups and hence journalists? What do the journalist gain from continuing their job? DO they get paid? Do they get bonus supplies/rations in return? Where do they operate from? Does the fleet happen to have a broadcasting vessel?

3)The fleet is fleeing and struggling for survival yet people are over-enthusiastic about trivial issues such as the (vice/)presidential elections and pay overdue attention to it. Does it really require a president to govern 50000 people, 3000 to 5000 of whom are alrady military personnel?

4)What can a president achieve without its core personnel of officials and advisors?

5)The president already have 3 bodyguards aboard. I find it ridiculous that they have so many people to spare for such a job among 50000 people? Who among 50000 people, who are struggling for survival amidst of a war, would try to harm the president? What would happen if someone did? Would the fleet fall into disarray? Do they have any other option besides sticking together?

6)Why do the president, bodyguards and some civilians wear earth-style clothing? They are wearing suits. I can understands the suits but ties? Ties are only accessories, what\'s the odds of two kin cultures to develop the same style of clothing when having been seperated from each other for more than 2000 years?

7)Why don\'t they use their own system of measurement, units etc... Where is the cultural background and diversity of the 12 colonies?

8)In episode \"hand of god\", there are about 50 cylon raiders swarming on galactica yet after the mine installation is destroyed, they suddenly vanish. Why don\'t they take out galactica, which has only 10 vipers onboard and is a sitting duck at that time?

9)Why are the raiders have an organic core? How does starbuck operate the wrecked raider given that she has carved the organic core to get inside it? How does its hull sustain itself with a punch of baseball size on its side? Given that its organic core is destroyed, how does the ship keep functioning?

Unless these (and any other) gaps in the infrastructure of the show are redressed, I believe it won\'t be able to go beyond an action series with a loose background...
  • Ratings for S1-2

S1: 6/10

S2: 4/10
  • If depression is your idea of entertainment, this is IT. You gotta love noir, destruction, and mindless writing.

1.2
    As a lifelong fan of science fiction, I desperately wanted to like this. And in desperation, I had to stop watching it, because it wasn't really science fiction, but an amalgam of fantasy storylines that went from one depressing scenario to the next. If watching the pain and suffering of people is entertaining, then perhaps, "de Sade" is your patron saint.

One might wonder that the writers / producers think that it's trendy and amusing to drag us into the void, but I can find better things to do with my time.

This is a definite kill. Sadly, for those who enjoyed the gee-whiz and sly references to antiquity of the former BG, this is not going to fly in the new BG.
  • Terrible ending to a once great show.

I used to love this show, but watching the last season was just dreadful. I was hoping that the story would return to something resembling the first season, but no... In the end it was a massive cop out. God solved everything.
    Yeah right... In order to break the cycle of violence, let's do the following: destroy all our technology, make sure our immortal enemies still keep theirs, and lets live in caves for the next 150,000 years. Surely that's a massive improvement. There were so many things wrong with this ending I can't even begin to mention them all.... some of the other reviews might have tried, kudos to them. I just don't think my fingers can type that much. To be honest, I might not even be qualified to write a review, I gave up about halfway through this monstrosity of an episode and started fast forwarding through to the end. The only good thing about this episode is that they finally ended a show that was getting worse with every single episode. Now all I can do is hope that the planned prequels/sequels either don't come off the ground or are written by someone more qualified. A drunken monkey comes to mind...
  • Depressive, but addictive show

2.2
    This is a dark and depressive space soap. The show just keeps moving backwards. There is never any positive progression in these peoples situation, hence the dark and depressive characterisation.

Although there is no positive development, the show has a constant, but slow, negative course. I believe this is the source of the addictive element. If you have all the episodes, you will keep watching, hungering for some progression. Though, it never comes.

Not a recommended consume of time.
  • Problems with BS Galactica

So, even though this series is off the air now, there are some of us who are still discovering it for the first time. This includes me. I'm busy watching the series on Netflix where you can watch the first four seasons.

I'm on season two right now. Here are somethings that bug me about this series:

1) For a civilization to have developed the technology to create battleships like the Galactica, why on earth would people still be using paper??? I mean seriously, this makes NO SENSE. Even with a show like Star Trek, back in the sixties, you had reports that were approved and signed by Captain Kirk and they weren't reports made of paper but "iPad" like devices which the captain would review.

2) A cure for cancer. I'm sorry but a civilization as advanced as in technology as one that can create battleships and travel via warp speed, in my opinion, would have found the cure to cancer. It made no sense in the first season that the president would be dying from breast cancer. If anything, it should have been some other disease.

3) Pilots are PILOTS. And NOT Marines too! In today's military, you have NAVY, ARMY, MARINES and AIR FORCE. You don't see air force pilots fighting on land similar to what Marines do! Air force pilots fly planes! They don't act like Marines. So to watch Starbuck acting like a marine makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. She's a PILOT. And that is what she excels at. So for the writers to take such artistic license by having Starbuck act like a marine is ridiculous.

4) What is the source of oxygen on all of these battleships? Like Galactica, for instance? Is this ever explained? Where are the green plants?

That's just for starters. I have other complaints that frankly should have been addressed by the writers of this series.

Yes, this series does tackle many political issues. And I enjoy it. But there are some serious WTF situations written into this series that make no sense whatsoever.
  • I gave it a second chance, and have to say that I am glad that I did.

I previously wrote how I felt that this great show "jumped the Shark" at the start of the 4 season. Well I would like to thank my friends that talked me into being patient with those early season 4 eps. I would also like to thank the Sci Fi Channel (Australia) for doing the season 4 marathons and almost live screening.

I have to say that the show won me back and I will now be buying the season 4 disc.

Great show I would rate it in the top 5 Sci Fi shows of recent times. For the record I have Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles firmly at number one.
  • Silly.

In the end this series was silly, supernatural, sci-fi. Sufficient suspense to draw you in, as it did me, but like binge drinking ultimately leaves an aftertaste of bile.

I can tolerate the science-fantasy of Star Wars and similar when the story strongly draws upon the human struggle, but this series was just bent on TRYING to warp religious myth into science understanding. Worse than DS9's attempt, BSG tempts believer audiences with the idea that monotheism is superior to pantheism and is wholly compatible with critical thinking. Ethics and morals come from our humanness and do not need a supernatural origin.

The characters had their moments (sexy female cylons for one), special effects theirs (the FTL of Galactaca out of its falling attack for one), the plot lines and underlying themes simply fell short in the end....I guess this show is pretty much Sci-fi for Creationists as exemplified by the series finale. No real answers provided....just point at "God" (aka Adm. Adama) as the underlying reason for all. Add to that the new BSG series spoils my fine memories of the original BSG series. Still I generously give the series a 5, as I was able to stomach it in the end.
  • I don't like it. I can't stand starbuck bad enough a woman but just an idiot. The original was more for a younger audience but it just was better.

This show isn't sexy it shows sex. I don't find it good at all. Starbuck and Boomer had more interesting characters in the original. Apollo, I wouldn't follow him across the road never mind the galaxy. The admiral of the Pegasis was more interesting. Show should of went with her instead. President another woman total jack ass. Admiral Adama boring no one respects the big cheese. I bashed enough. Of course they cancel a great show like Firefly. At least Stargate SG1 is still on for alittle while. I say these scum bags of humanity with cylons in tow need a detour. When they get to earth's solar system we turn the lights out come on. We leave a sign on Pluto earth 3 jumps ahead. Put em right into a 2 sun system.
  • Hate it!!

3.7
    This....... never mind. It's not as good as the previous ones and it's flat out boring. Yawn. If you want Battlestar Galactica watch the older ones. The new one sucks. If there was nothing on in the world except this I would go outside and play sports or go party somewhere or actually read a book! This is the exact meaning of DISASTER. I have an idea for this problem. Have it banned from T.V. Wait I can't do that. Then just don't watch it. Believe me I love Battlestar Galactica but it's just not the same as before.

~Priest Ohm~
  • My Gripe: Of What I think about this so called, "new version", of "Battlestar Galatica".....

Of course many of those here whom like the new series don't see as to what is wrong with it: While you can see that anglo males are carrying on hot and and heavy, with female of all races and colors, [opposite of thier own] you do not see any [small part] black male actors doing the same..... Yes there may be a "wide diveristy", of females of all races & colors, and a small sample of a few, of black, asian, and hispanic male, on the show: But how many of them, [that are minority males] or more so BLACK MALES, will you seeing "carrying on", with Starbuck, {Katee Sackhoff's' character] replicated, Sharon "Boomer" Valerii, {played Grace Park} replicated #6, {played by Patricia Helfer] President Laura Roslyn, {played By veteran actress Mary Donohough} or "Crewman Specialist" Cally... {Played by Nicky Cline} All I see, are the the "leading male" actors characters having "intimate" relations with females of all races & colors, even if the may be replicates, but no males of colors doing such.... As usual, with hollywood,. directors and producers, to have the anglo male, "come out on top", [figuretively, and literally, speaking] and the minority male actors of color, at the bottom... This show is yet another one that is racial biased, depicts such, not trying to break the interracial barriers.. {In love, and relationships} Nothing ever changes in the small minds of anglo males producer & directors in hollywood, just the time and era's...
  • The current version of this series is a dark, poorly written and poorly acted perversion of a fun Battlestar Galactica series from the past.

4.9
    I have tried to watch this series several times and have found that shaking camera, extreme closeup and stupid sound track not only bored me but it made me turn away. One really cannot compare it to the original series. They were geared for completely different audiences. The melodrama and evil characters are not something I enjoy watching. There is no character I remotely connect with or care about. The special effects are almost annoying as the dialog. This series just doesn't cut it as good science fiction. I cannot believe people are still watching it. I know I won't any more.
  • The new show is really dumb & lame

0.0
    This show is a JOKE! The original series had a realistic feel to it; the new one is too Earth-like; they wear glasses, use 12 hour clocks, use telephones, wear suits & ties....give me a break! Hire some writters that have at least a 3rd grade level of science!!!

The original was FAR BETTER; better stories, and really seemed to be alien (the final season got pretty bad tough).

It seems that every time they try to remake a CLASSIC show they try to 'over-modernize' it and depend to much on computers instead of TALENT!
  • Final moments made the struggl;e of the whole series pointless, at least in the grand scheme of things.

Hrm. Loved the series overall, though some of the New Caprica stuff was rather pointless. The las part of the finale just generated an incredible sense of futility. Ok, *these* particular humans survived, but their culture, civilization, knowledge, etc., gone. Poof. There was utterly no point to them running to earth. Humans were already here, so the race survves regardless. They get rid of their tech, so humanity has a "clean slate", which is pretty illogical, actually, no, it's idiotic. They guaranteed that mankind will have no knowledge of the evils of making machines as slaves, yada yada, so they accomplish the exact opposite of their intention. "Going native" was selfish, stupid, and worst of all, made their entire struggle to keep human civilization alive, pointless. They may as well not have come to Earth at all, since there wera already humans here, and other than the fact they didn't have language yet, they seemed to be doing ok. I'll leave out the various angel/God/destiny drivel, since it ended up being mostly fluff, and portrays God as someone rather like a child using a magnifying glass on ants....over and over.
  • Why would they do this?

0.1
    Why would they remake this and change everything. Starbuck a female? Oh, why can\'t they just make a different show? They think they can get more viewers by using the name of a popular show? I don\'t understand why they can let this happen. The first Battlestar gallactica had humor, this has none. It doesn\'t have me watching it either.
  • Typical yank show. Spoilt by the inclusion of politics and the battle for the presidency. Rather see more survival than powr hungry people. And too much booze all the time.

4.7
    Was a good first season, but second season crap. Too much rubbish about the presidency & politics. American influence again. Just look at who you elected. So much booze. Amazed the storyline has lasted this long. Everytime they are drinking. How about more on the civillian ships. the 48 hour earlier opening, you have over done it. Cant believe Baltar gets away with so much & the military are so stupid. If it doesnt improve going to give up on it. Now Babylon 5, there's a good series. Learn a thing or 2 from it will you.
  • When good shows go bad!

Any more touchy feely and I will be ill. Please less kissing action between the crew and more fighting with Cylons. Writers please watch old series for action storylines. What is it with shows like this the only action we get is when its the last episode and they want a hook to get renewed . Well I say if this continues no exciting finale will revive this dying show for another season. The other wee problem all the human terminology. eg Wedding rings please they are supposed to be aliens and where are the Black crew members? Please ship up or ship out.
  • BOO! Another rip off of a classic

If you are going to bring back a classic, PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!.

If you really feel the need to bring it back, change the premise, cast, mission, etc., do it but rename it. How about Galactica 2003. At least when Sealab went of the resivation they had the good taste to rename it.

Bad enough the Cylons are human cyborgs, and Starbuck has been turned into a women, but what happened to the basic plot of fleeing the Cylon empire and searching for the lost colony!

This show has none of the spirit of the original, none of its pathos, and none of the foibles that made it a classic.

Please let this show die as soon as possible.

• The plot that was lost along the way...

This new Battlestar Galactica started out in what I would say was a fantastic initial series. The setting was clearly never focused just on technology, with the attention to the Gaius Baltar character in series one being clearly on human vulnerabilities, and to me was gripping (the whole of series one I was say never dragged). Unfortunately the following series seemed to start losing their way, not keeping the same standard as the first series, for example, the episodes based on the new caprica seemed dull in comparison. However it was the way it ended which seemed the most disappointing, anyone who watched the behind the scenes 'The Last Frakkin Special' show should have noticed the comment 'forget the plot, it was about the characters'. This comment I think it telling, basically it looks like they had totally messed up the plot line (could be argued by the start of series 3), and instead of trying to rectify this in series four, instead they ended the whole thing by just focusing on some of the individuals (and even in this regard there was blatant holes, no real explanation around the Starbuck character for example). As it ended with so many unexplained plot holes (and a really a nonsensical ending in a whole host of ways), I can only presume that the director was under great pressure from the TV station just to wrap things up (as they were canning the show) and took the easiest way out. From what began with a truly great start, unfortunately it has had a very disappointing ending, if anyone was to ask in future, I could honestly only recommend this new Battlestar Galactica overall as watchable, rather than good or great (which it could have been).
  • This was my favorites series in the first two seasons, but they have been get more preachy and less believable. Now most episodes just annoy me. Read on for specifics, but there will be spoilers.

It all went downhill for me in the season 2 finale. They jumped a year into the future and just about everyone came across like a sad parody in this episode. Starbuck grew her hair long and was living in a shanty playing house, Adama grew a mustache and was shuffling around an empty battlestar. Apollo was the worse, they put him in fat suit. It was like a bad SNL skit. Basically everyones character seems to have short circuited to do nothing sloth while Baltar and goes completely nutso, but off course everyone else is in self pity apathy mode so nobody stops him. Then the cylons show up. BSG runs away. That was beginning of the drek.

Cylon occupation seems to have only served one purpose, preaching sympathy with the Palestinian cause. Occupation leads anyone to suicide bombers see... Barf, more drek.

Now to the present. Occupation over, They discover a potential super weapon, which is of course a reason to be preachy again. They don't really want to use it. I mean killing all the enemy who nearly killed all of humanity so far and is mopping up the rest is bad, even if it might be your only chance for survival. Barf... (sarcasm on)
    But hey, Starbuck cuts her hair and she is now back to normal military starbuck again, Apollo hops a treadmill for 5 mins and he can ditch the fat suit, and is military buff again. It's all normal again. Yipee! What a cool device to have everyone look different while they were sad sacks, then return to normal appearance when they got their act together. Losing 20lbs in one episode no less.
    (sarcasm off)

Preachyness, lameness is all I remember lately from a a once great show.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10