Battlestar Galactica

Sine Qua Non

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 30, 2008 on Syfy

• Two words to sum up this episode = Bad editing. Read on if you have seen the episode (possible spoilers!)

7.8
    After the brilliant episode of last week I had really high expectations for this one. Personally I don't think the main problem with this episode was the writing (well except for the last 5 mins - but I will get to that later), nor was it the directing (which was pretty good), but it was the bad editing. Every episode ive seen before of BSG, even the filler episodes, were carefully edited and flow very smoothly. Sadly this was not the case with this particular episode as I felt there were huge chunks missing in the story. I think the story could have been done in two episodes or maybe in an hour and half but definitely not in the 45mins they were allocated. The second major problem was the ending with Adama all alone on a raptor. I felt that he was very out of character for him to do that all alone. It also did not feel right how he was fist fighting Tigh and a bit later (it was about 10mins later on the show but there was no time scale in the episode to suggest how long) he gives Tigh command of Galactica. Tigh did object a little bit, but it felt like they were discussing the weather and not Adama stepping down.

Clearly the writers are trying to build momentum for the next episode, but I think the way it was done was slightly poor towards the end. Personally if they really needed Adama on that baseship they could have let Roslin talk to him before leaving and he would insist on accompanying her and then the baseship jumps with Roslin and Adama on it. It felt very out of character the way they did it (and cheesy as well). Not to say the episode did not have its moments : the Adama and Tigh fight was amazing, Lampkin's dialogue was impressive, and the Natalie scene with very well directed. It just did not have the usual quality,particularly in the editing department and the writing in the end, that I would expect from this series.