Battlestar Galactica

Sine Qua Non

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 30, 2008 on Syfy

• I'm not sure how to take this one.

6.2
    Given that there are very few episodes remaining (two more before the mid-season break and then about a dozen more in January 2009), I have to doubt the wisdom of investing yet another episode in little more than backroom political maneuvering and emotional self-indulgence. With the president and half of the fleet's defense force missing, the pressing concern is "Who will be our president?" and "My kinda-girlfriend is missing. I have to abandon my post." The priority, in my humble opinion, would be to FIND THEM rather than quibble about things that will be quite moot if the militant Cylons find you and most of your planes are gone.

A man of Adama's experience and training would NEVER hand over command of the fleet to anyone under circumstances like this. In addition, given that the population of the human race is down to roughly 39 000 people, you don't need a president and a quorum of twelve. You need a mayor! They barely have people to populate a small town, yet they insist on having a governmental structure suitable for a population of billions. That has always been one detail about this show that has gnawed at me, but I've never really voiced it.