Battlestar Galactica

Sine Qua Non

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 30, 2008 on Syfy

• *spoiler* Events in this ep were unexpected (by me at least) but upon reflection it was exactly how they had to go. I speak of course of Lee's 'ascension' to President.

Firstly, I found this to be the most enjoyable episode of the season so far.

I find it very tiring all the manic angst surrounding Kara all the time (tho I love her character). It's nice that the writers let up for once.

So, how about those politicians eh? How typical. I don't know how long Roslin was missing - it only seemed like hours, or a couple of days at most, before Zarek and the rest started lobbying for a successor.

And what a successor eh? Interesting that the Admiral abdicated his position to Tigh just when Junior became political leader. Of course, it had to be, I don't know that the fleet would have put up with an Adama in charge of the military and an Adama in charge of the political arm. A little too much like a monopoly there.

It was interesting Romo Lampkins reaction to his realization that there was really only one candidate for President too. He felt he'd been manipulated in that direction by some force.....ahh all these portents....is Ron Moore really a religious person or does he just like fraking with us - more the latter I think.

I thought it was also unrealistic for the Admiral to pack up a 'vacation raptor' and take off to await a rendevous with the basestar Roslin jumped in. I mean, aren't Raptors just a little thin on the ground nowadays? Can the fleet really afford to have the 'boss' bugger off on a personal trip? Surely if finding Roslin and the others were a reality - or pivotal to the continuation of the fleet - then the Galactica should have taken off after them.

That's just a bit of nitpickery on my part though and by no means lessened my enjoyment of the episode.

Just the fact that we got to see some of the other players for a change (I love the character of Romo Lampkin I confess) and that we have finally seen something happen with Lee Adama instead of that political limbo he's been this season, played a big part in my enjoyment of it; and as I mentioned before, not having to endure more psycho' starbuck and the circle of angst that surrounds her and anyone who comes within her orbit; or that bloody annoying git Baltar who has irritated me to death since the mini series. I know he's supposed to be one of the pivotal characters, but just once I'd love to get close enough to slap the messianic, narcissistic, womanisers face.

I just don't see what use he is - whatever parts Baltar has played in getting the fleet to this point could quite easily have been attributed to other permanent and/or one-off characters without challenging the premise of the show (in my opinion - I know there's a bunch of people who'll want to take me to task for that statement). Okay, I've had my rant I'd better quit before I offend too many more people.

Suffice to say - enjoyable ep. - not a world beater - and it was nice to finish an ep without being in a state of shock or ire....just once.