Battlestar Galactica

Sine Qua Non

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 30, 2008 on Syfy

• A one episode break from last weeks cliff hanger. Not as well done as the previous two episodes, but set up future story lines. It was ok for BSG, but is still better than just about everything else on TV this week.

Some will describe this as a filler episode with good reason, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There were two stories in this episode, one about lee, and the other about his father.

Some people on here had issues with Adama leaving the fleet because of Rosilyn. I personally did not and thought it was interesting he realized his personal wishes were comprimising the fleet. It is an interesting take on the leadership position he has that he saw he was causing harm and decided to step down on his own free will. Many leaders (even fictional on TV) would not do that. It also set up Tigh's storyline in the future because he knows he is a cylon but is now in charge. It should be interesting to watch his character in the future episodes.

Like others, I was less impressed with the Lee storyline. It would have been much more interesting to have Zarek as president and the episode was too predictable that Lee would be president. It reminded me of VP Cheney being the vetter for Bush's vice president selection when they ended up choosing him for VP. Maybe they had that in mind?

I watched the show twice and in the second viewing, it was obvious Lamkin's cat was in his mind. I do not think he was really going to shoot Lee, but it was a test as he thought Lee set himself up to be president and wanted to see if he had what it took (in his mind at least)

Other minor quibbels were Starbuck being seemingly normal again without explaination and I thought Adama let Tigh off the hook rather quickly after finding out he was having sex with the Six. I know they fought, but you would think that even though he might let it go as a friend, to put him in charge after that revelation seemed a little forced storywise. It was like they had in mind Tigh would now be leading the fleet and they rushed the story to make that happen.

On second thought, the Starbuck thing is a major quibble. Adama stated he did not believe in miracles when she came back, and now she is CAG again and the whole coming back from the dead thing seems to be dropped. Although they surely will deal with this again later, having her just pop up in the episode without addressing this actually seems like a plot hole or is unusual sloppy writing. Even if they can't answer how she came back, at least it should have been discussed on screen before allowing her back to her post. I'm beginning to think they may have written themselves into a corner with the coming back from the dead story and they don't know how to resolve it so they are basically punting the issue.

It was a good episode, not great, but good.