Battlestar Galactica

Sine Qua Non

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 30, 2008 on Syfy

• I used to love this show and considered it my all-time favorite. But this episode was appallingly bad... easily the worst of the whole series.

As a huge fan of BSG (which has been my all-time favorite TV show), this episode was a profound disappointment... easily the worst episode of the entire series. It was ridiculous on so many levels, I don't know where to start. [SPOILER ALERT - do not read further if you have not seen the episode]

Lee Adama as president? What is he, 35? And we're supposed to believe the whole Quorum and Tom Zarek would roll over and agree to it so quickly, just because William Adama won't return Zarek's phone calls?

Colonel Tigh sleeping with and impregnating Six?? What the frak??? Aside from the sheer absurdity of Tigh and Six sleeping together, there is the question of how Six could possibly be pregnant, given that we've been told all this time that Cylons can't reproduce with each other.

Then there was Admiral Adama's impulsive FTL jump away from the fleet to search for the baseship, which left 35,000 people defenseless against a Cylon attack. This was by far the stupidest thing he's ever done. For all he knew he could have been heading right into a Cylon trap (with the battered Raptor they discovered having been the bait). And then the icing on the cake was Admiral Adama resigning his command and handing the reins over to Tigh -- right after discovering that Tigh had been sleeping with Six, of course!! Yes, that makes perfect sense -- find out your senior officer is secretly consorting with the enemy, then promote him! Adama said Tigh is a better person than he was in the past -- oh, please! You just found out he's sleeping with a Cylon prisoner, for frak's sake! As recently as the season 3 finale he was a drunk basket case and humiliated himself on the stand at Baltar's trial. Putting Tigh in charge is even riskier for the fleet than staying in charge with your own judgment clouded by your desperation to find Roslin.

So basically Adama was willing to put the lives of 35,000 people (and the future of the entire human race) at risk just so he could personally look for Roslin. I don't know about you, but this episode has basically ruined the entire series for me. The first four episodes of Season 4 were sublime. It looked like this was shaping up to be the best season of the series. But in one single episode, the show has now completely jumped the shark. Huge, huge disappointment.