Battlestar Galactica

Six Degrees of Separation

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 18, 2005 on Syfy

• I really did enjoy this episode, but found the action and/or pace a bit stilted, when compared to previous episodes. A couple (very minor) flaws were evident, in my humble opinion...

I really did enjoy this episode, but found the action and/or pace a bit lacking or stilted, when compared to previous episodes. Of course this is an ongoing series, but I thought that the scene with the collapse of President Laura Roslin (and subsequent follow-up scenes)while on the phone with Dr. Gaius Baltar was not deep enough, for my taste. I thought there should have been a bit more substance to that particular scene - either beef it up with more dialogue, or wait until the next episode to elaborate a bit more. It's really a minor issue. As are the issues I have with this episode (Episode 7 - Six Degrees of Separation); minor tweaks - no glaring issues noted, at least to my eyes. The other thing I noticed, in terms of plausibility, was the disappearance of Six. "...she turned the corner, and was gone..." With a range of non-networked security apparatus (and personnel) at their disposal, it seems odd that Six isn't picked up on camera or IR. Maybe we'll find out in the coming episode(s) as to her/it's fate.

One really creepy scene is the scene with Lt. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii (played by the beautiful and very talented Grace Park), where she's caressing the Cylon spacecraft (the Raider)that Starbuck flew back to the BSG in episode 6 (Litmus), and talking about it (it seems) in terms of a lovable, faithful pet: "It's not really a thing, y'know? It's probably a Cylon itself. More of an animal, maybe, than the human models. Maybe they genetically design it to perform a task. To be a fighter. [You] can't treat it like a thing and expect it to respond. [You] have to treat it like... a pet. At least that's my guess." Good guess; Sit Rover! Sit!

I had mentioned earlier in my summary about the action being a bit slow. I didn't have the sense, as in previous episodes, of the breakneck in-your-face action sequences. I know that having a major action plot in every episode is unrealistic - harmful even. I didn't want action for action's sake, but would like to have seen just a little more "action", to spice up (or connect) the slower scenes together. Just a minor point really.

All-in-all I enjoyed this episode, despite (just) a few very minor flaws - I don't know if I would even call them "flaws" - maybe a blemish is a better term. It was well shot, acted, and put together; it got me wanting to get to the next episode. Well done!