Battlestar Galactica

Six of One

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 11, 2008 on Syfy

• I saw someone else gave this a 3 and am so grateful not to be alone.

2.8
    I loved this show for the first 2 seasons, since then it has steadily gone down hill and these two episodes have just been it wallowing in its own filth.
    tryin to compare intuition with rational thought by bringing violent terrorist acts.
    manipulative emotional moments with no basis in background story
    gratuitous sex
    gratuitous violence
    meaningless dialogue with violence replacing any significant interaction between characters
    cliffhangers that are dry and exploitive, I dont care if there is another frigging cylon hiding somewhere. We covered all that in season one. Just more of the same.
    i truly fear there is no hope for this show. Give me a reason to keep watching, please.
  • I was so dissappointed in BSG's first two episodes that I didn't have the heart to write a review. But somebody in the forum noticed how many people disagreed with the positive reviews and wondered why, so here goes.

I really wanted to like this season. I did, but it has started out slow and plodding with some of the craziest plotlines that it has become painful to watch. As for this episode, let's start with Starbuck. She claims she had a vision and that the prez should show her the same respect Stabuck had for the Roslin's vision. To us and the characters, Starbuck went missing for weeks. She has no evidence to back up any of her claims. And little Kara Thrace isn't the most stable of people to begin with. Roslin was quoting Colonial scripture. Huge difference. Roslin has the writings of their ancestors to back her up. And another thing, I am sick of little Kara Thrace going around beating up squads of marines. I hear everybody tell how this show is so real. In the real world little Kara would get her ass kicked!!!!

And Adama throwing her the keys to a ship is looney, too. Starbuck is so unstable she's liable to smash it into Caprica One. I can understand him being curious about her story, but she attacked marines and threatened the president. She must be punished. Adama has run such a horrible command that I find I couldn't respect him as a commanding officer.

Oh poor Apollo. He can't get personal fulfillment from being a Viper pilot, so he quits and gets a military send off. Are you kidding??!! He's abandoning them in their hour of need! 12 billion people are dead, the Cylons are hot on the trail and selfish Lee Adama is going off to become a lawyer or a politician. This is crazy. The Galactica needs pilots and soldiers to fight Cylons not legal briefs and legislation. People in these dire straights act with more purpose. Nobody in the middle of a war against genocide of their own race goes off to find himself. When Admiral Adama and crew were giving Lee that send off I was so disappointed. I actually walked out of the room. As for the final five, I have always thought this was a very thin storyline. It seems it was created to stretch an already thin plot. I'm going to hold off until further episodes but I have to say Moore and Eick have not done a good job here. As for Head Baltar, I just don't believe it. He's now talking to himself. But believe it or not I'm not going to be critical of this, at least not for now. I have read somebody mentioning the Ship of Lights from old BSG in the storyline with Starbuck discovering Earth. I have been wondering if Head Six and now Head Baltar are something to do with new BSG's version of Count Iblis. Hmmmm, could be interesting. The robot rebellion has me perplexed too. The Cylons purposely created a sub species of robots to serve them. Why worry about their free will now? It's not like centurions and raiders have fulfilling lives. If the Six's and others object to raiders being reprogrammed to be slaves, then why create them slaves in the first place? I don't recall any of the skin jobs giving a rats butt about the welfare of raiders or centurions before. And don't you find it so crazy that just removing a part from a centurion it automatically becomes sentient?

And my Tory has done the deed with Baltar. Oh the pain. Nuff said.

There you go. Go on, lay into me and call me a troll. I wasn't going to write anything but since you guys asked...
  • I'm a little disappointed

4.9
    There are several elements to this episode that I like, but they're outnumbered by the points I find a bit silly. The story point I find most intriguing is the Cylon infighting and possible civil war between the seven known models on the Cylon side. The fact that they have serious disagreements in fundamental philosophies which can actually lead to violence shows a level of depth in the antagonists that is usually lacking in most sci-fi shows.

That being said, here are the slightly iffy issues:

1- Starbuck insisting that the entire fleet follow her to where she believes Earth is without question when the issue of her true allegiance is very much in question. They have video footage of her ship exploding. This is generally a tricky survival scenario. Her sudden reappearance would seem to indicate (quite strongly) that she's a Cylon. Without iron-clad proof that she's telling the truth, I certainly would have shot her the moment her foot touched the flight deck.

2- Apollo deciding to resign his commission and pursue a career in law.

**********************WHAT???!!!*************************

His very species numbers less than 40 000 and their survival depends entirely on the Galactica's ability to repel Cylon attacks. In order to do that, the fleet needs PILOTS.....not a fracking LAWYER!!! Apollo is one of the best pilots the colonials have and to abandon them like this is tantamount to treason. Instead of a sending off party and an honor guard salute, he should have been arrested and charged with desertion in time of war.

3- The centurion's "sentience suppressors". Are you telling me that the centurions are just as self aware and able to make rational, independent decisions as the humanoid Cylon models, but are prevented from this by a doohicky implanted in their heads? Pleeeeaaaaase!

I really do hope that these issues are properly addressed and clarified since it seems to me that the writers of this series are starting to become a little self-indulgent with their use of destiny and mysticism as plot devices.
  • A bit of a drop from the premiere, but still good

At the end of the second season, I was personally disappointed in the episode "Downloaded", because it represented a moment of transition for the Cylons without the necessary context. Caprica Six and Boomer decided to change the Cylon philosophy towards Humanity, and this was depicted as a deviation from The Plan. Unfortunately, The Plan was shrouded in mystery, so it was hard to recognize the extent and depth of what was coming.

This episode has a similar shift, but the writers took the time in previous episodes to set the stage for the schism. Everything since New Caprica has been prologue to the revelation of the "Final Five" and the effect on the Cylon as a whole. The boxing of the Threes permits stalemate. The current Six revolution (led by "Natalie") is most interesting because it facilitates the transformation of Cylon culture.

It suggests, very strongly, that the Raiders and Centurions were operating under complete programming restraint to follow the will of the seven known humaniform models. After all, previously, those seven models were essentially in lockstep. Now, the emergence of the Final Five could have triggered the Raiders towards free will, and now the Centurions have been given the same. They want to understand their origins as well.

This again plays into the idea of a possible ancient origin to the Cylon within certain Human genetic bloodlines, supporting the "cyclic mergence" theory. It's known that the humaniform Cylons can breed, so odds are good that the children can breed. The Cylons of the First Cylon War were all robotic. Why, then, would they designate twelve models above and apart from the robotic and cyborg types? Why would seven of them be aware of each other, but the other five not be? Is it possible that the Cylons only created seven models, but were programmed to know that five others existed somewhere else?

That said, Cavil's decision to break the deadlock with Boomer shouldn't have led so directly to the decision by Natalie to start a revolution. She never presented a firm challenge to Boomer's right to a vote. After all, if Cavil began with the precedence of it, Natalie could have easily demanded that all versions of every model should be given an equal voice. Or she could have demanded that Boomer's right to vote independently be justified or debated. Whatever the case, it seemed more like a plot convenience than a logical progression.

Back on Galactica, the story is less active. Lee officially departs to his new job as a member of the Quorum of Twelve. This positions him rather well to be Roslin's potential successor, since her health continues to decline. Given his early association with her, this would be fitting. In contrast to the obvious conclusion that Kara Thrace is a Cylon, this change in Lee's status makes him the perfect candidate. If nothing else, it would certainly make his comment about Zak in the premiere a case of clever foreshadowing. It would also put him in the perfect position to facilitate a Human/Cylon accord.

All that said, his departure felt interminable. No less than three scenes covered the necessary emotional requirements. Everything was taken care of in the final scene, rendering the scenes in the rec room and the ready room a bit moot. It felt like the writers needed something to fill the time, and they pushed for sentimentality. (The time might have been better spent on Racetrack and her game of Strip Triad; Leah Cairns in civvies would be more than worth it!)

Despite the rift that it threatens to create between Adama and Roslin, there was little question that Adama would ultimately throw his support behind Kara's claims regarding Earth. Not full support, of course, because that would be incredibly foolish, but enough to get the job done. I suspect that this will eventually put her in contact with Cylons of similar vision, though that is obviously nothing but speculation.

The final item of significance is Baltar's new relationship with Tory. It begins as subterfuge, but I suspect it will turn into a significant plot point. The writers again went with over-convenience by giving Baltar just the right metaphor to use with Tory, but the presence of Head!Baltar made up for some of the disappointment. Is that Head!Six messing with Baltar's mind, or has his own subconscious manifested in a new and disturbing form?

The end result is an episode that is a bit slower than the premiere, and given that it was essentially the resolution of a cliffhanger, it felt like something was missing. The potential for a true Cylon civil war has potential, but the events on Galactica could have been equally explosive. Instead, they were more of an emotional counterpoint, and that may not have been enough.
  • Given the first episode a little disappointing to begin with but soon corrects the pace

7.4
    This episode was broadcast on Sky one with the first as one big episode, so I can only guess where that episode concludes and this starts - although the guest credits and the abrupt shift in pace kinda gives it away.

We'll start with the Cylon council because technically that's where the pacing problems begin. A boardroom meeting in Star Trek is more fun than this although a lot of plot is given concerning consciousness. The Cylon raiders did actually think for themselves and retreat on their own last episode when they scanned Anders. Half the Cylon Models believe that independent thought in the Raiders should be allowed and half don't. This is in some ways for the protection of the Higher Rank to succeed and progress sort of like a class system but instead of creating laws they just remove the power of thought and individualism, in this case from the lower working class. Ironic considering that Boomer votes against her own Model which has never happened before.

The other plot strands concern Kara being locked in the Brig after threatening Roslin (although Roslin was the one that attempted to shoot Kara and missed, she's obviously in 'trust no one' mode) and forever shouting 'we're going the wrong way!' she doesn't calm down till Lee makes an appearance for a snog and to announce he is now an official Lawyer. Cheeky, although her discussion with Anders last ep shows that they are still together and she cares, unlike Dee who is officially broken up with Lee.

Anyhoos, one of the most interesting things this episode was Baltar talking to Baltar, how can this be, it should be Caprica Six not Caprica Baltar but No there is definitely something odd going on. To add to this he describes 'All along the Watchtower' (the Cylon trigger) to Tori almost in explicit detail. Kinda strange for a chatup line.

Like I said, this episode starts out as plodding, but gets much better as it goes on. One question though, how come the Centurions now have more of a dappled metallic sheen to them rather than their usual Chrome look? I like it.
  • Good plot, but rushed story-telling and a paucity of political commentary makes the season thus far feel a bit of a wasted opportunity. There's a 50 minute version of this episode screaming to get out of time constraints.

This episode by Michael Angeli was considerably better than last week's season opener by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, whose writing usually lacks political commentary, and that was no exception.

Michael Angeli has done some fantastic work. He wrote the incredible Season One episode "Six Degrees of Separation", which is so much fun and features some wonderfully comedic scenes with Baltar. He returned to the show in Season 3 and wrote a decent episode entitled "A Measure of Salvation" that suffered from many of the problems in this one: rushed plotting and insufficient elaboration of conversation and subtlety of emotional drama. He also wrote the fairly dull "Woman King" which didn't suffer from rushed plotting, but did lack any real dynamism or a good story. However, he did absolutely wonderful work on "The Son Also Rises", which featured some of the series' best dialogue and most moving and brilliant meditations on the nature of lost love and justice.

This episode is better than "Woman King" but fails to live up to his impressive work on "The Son Also Rises" and "Six Degrees of Separation" by quite a wide berth, and that's worrisome for the final season of an incredible show.

The plot seemed fine, but poorly conveyed in parts. The Starbuck plot was well-written and excellently acted, as were Lee Adama's scenes, especially his good-byes to Starbuck and Dualla. However, it all feels rushed in parts, but only slightly so.

The Cylon baseship scenes are perhaps the biggest disappointment. These scenes feature the only political commentary of the episode, namely the issue of how to effect change -- through force or democracy? This subplot doesn't disappoint in opting for a complicated illustration of the "good" cylons opting to protect cylon raiders from being lobotomized by engaging in a violent coup when a democratic vote fails. They also democratized the cylon race by giving the centurions the gift of reason, thereby freeing these former slaves from their programmed constraints. There's even some nice religious tones and decent dialogue between Cavil and the others. Yet Cavil's scenes are usually not just good, but great! Go back to "Lay Down Your Burdens" or "Occupation"/"Precipice", and one can see that every word of every argument uttered by this character is fascinating. His scenes in this episode are less effective than they should be.

The main problem is that the dialogue is far too abrupt between the cylons. It feels less like a relatable society of people honestly discussing things than curt summaries of what each character feels. When Boomer betrays her fellow Sharon models, the other Sharon says nothing and the new Number Six says barely anything. Leoben says two sentences in the entire episode, when he's been shown to have a forceful, passionate personality in any scene with Starbuck. It's like every scene has been edited down to its essential dialogue like a telegram, but the natural way people talk to each other -- the elaboration of how they feel -- has been edited out or not written at all. The cylon scenes have long felt this way -- devoid of sufficient discussion and emotion, or simply devoid of enough detail of expression to give these scenes believability.

The most criminally-written scenes involved Baltar. For the first time, I actually grew bored of his dialogue -- and this was quite disappointing from the writer who captured so well the essence of Baltar's desperation and bogus faith so believably in "Six Degrees of Separation" I usually pore over every word uttered by this amazing actor performing this incredible role. This time, however, the scenes with Tory felt a bit rushed and unbelievable. His conversion this season to belief in one God -- and the need to proselytize this faith -- has been unconvincingly handled. Perhaps Weddle and Thompson messed up this crucial transformation, but his tearfully, emotional confession to Tory that he is getting tired of holding in his faith in one God seemed silly and, since it was out-of-character, unsatisfactorily explained. The scene in which he's in bed with Tory was absolutely painful to watch for such a formerly beautifully-written character.

There were some great things about the episode, however. Starbuck's frantic desire to take the fleet to Earth felt very believable and sympathetic. Also, Roslin and Adama's talk about what to do about Starbuck and about Roslin's fate was quite fresh and wonderful with each character making worthwhile points. Their relationship seemed to have settled a bit half-way through Season 2 and in Season 3, but this is one relationship that really feels as though it's growing this season. I look forward to more of this.

I get a sense that many of the episode's flaws were due to time constraints and that maybe more elaborately-written, -acted, and -filmed scenes could easily be expanded upon on DVD. I wish Ron Moore had done this for many Season 3 episodes that felt similarly rushed. I hope he does it with this episode. There's a 50-minute (as opposed to 41-minute) version of this episode screaming to get out.

8 out of 10
    (I should emphasize that only the rarest of shows get 10 -- only the absolute best episodes of The X-Files ("Talitha Cumi", "Paper Hearts", "Redux II", etc.), Battlestar Galactica ("Pegasus","Lay Down Your Burdens", "Occupation"/"Precipice") and Deep Space Nine ("In the Pale Moonlight"). I would give the best story of The 4400 to date, "Terrible Swift Sword"/"Fifty Fifty," around 9.0, and I really loved that.)
  • Cylons against themselves

Oh - who would thought that - D'Anna was just the beginning of Cylon falldown and they are now on each other troughs. And first mainly what happened in last episode and that raiders decided stop attacking and then that some wanted to change it - it was quite shocking from coming from cylons - specially that one.. (number One? oh I cannot remember their names). He was so against every change D'Anna was making and now - going to change things that are basic for their civilation.. sounds crazy.

And then ofcourse we have Starbuck who is not only messed up but just crazy too and it is just so weird to watch it. I liked her standof with president and how it ended.. but she really should manage to hold herself together.. but she gets her change - let's hope it ends up something good.. but who she is.. where she came.. what happened - those questions remain.
  • Nothing really happened, but wasnt that bad at all...!

This episode was very slow. Starbuck kidnapped the President, and tried to convince her, that the fleet is goin to the wrong way. Roslin tried to shoot Kara, but she missed. After that, they arrested Kara.

Lee is now a lawyer. He retired from the duty, and everyone celebrated him. He had a party, and everything. He went to Kara, at the prison, and confessed that he believes her. *Kiss sequence* :) Nothing special...

But the cool part was in this episode, the Cylons.
    They voted to reprogram the raiders. Caprica doest want that, but the majority voted against her. So she gave free will to the centurions, and they killed a Cylon leaders. :) Of course, they will revive soon...

At the end, Kara was released from the prison by Adama, and he gave Kara a ship, to find Earth.

This is gonna be fun!
  • Kara Thrace is questioned about her finding of earth and tensions come between the cyclons.

Even though nothing happened until the last five minutes, it was a great episode. Maybe it was the character development, the well written script or the fact that it's the last fraking season of bsg I just kept on watching. The acting was top notch, camera is great and adds tension and amazing music was ever prominent. Character development was there too, but it was with Tory. This was interesting because she is not one of the main character cyclons, it would have been nicer to see Saul or Anders go on their self help quest. Maybe next episode. Anyway overall this was a great episode, it's not perfect due to the fact that nothing happens and that Helo is not the star of this episode!!
  • More insights....more questions

UK airdate April 15th, 2008

We in the UK were lucky. Sky broadcast "Six of One" as the second half of a combined "double episode" with "He That Believeth..." to kick-off BSG's triumphant return.

To be honest, had "Six" not appeared as a continuance of "He That Believeth...", I might be tempted to reduce my rating on this episode, as there were certain things that did not entirely gel. BUT, taken as a seamless whole (Sky edited-out the end titles from "He" and the preamble / teaser / opening credits from "Six"), this episode builds nicely on the themes laid down in "He That Believeth..."

In "He That Believeth..." the humano-Cylons were faced with the unexpected evolution of the Raiders, as witnessed in the latter's withdrawal from the attack on the helpless Colonial fleet in "He That Believeth..." after one of the Raiders scanned Anders and identified him as Cylon. Two camps of thought emerge from this. The first is the "spiritual / emotional" camp, comprising Six, Leoben and Eight (the Valerii model) - who see the development as a) proof that that final five are in the Colonial fleet and b) a work of God himself helping the Raiders to evolve. The second is (on the surface) the more "rational / logical" school of thought that states that a) any thinking & discussing of the final five by any of the humano-cylon models is a deviation from their established norms of operation, and that b) any development of sentience or the ability to make choices within the Raiders is also a programming aberration, and one that must be ruthlessly corrected. The driving force behind this view is Cavil. While he is supported by Simon and Doral, he nevertheless pushes for the most radical of answers to the change in the Raiders (lobotomies for them all). At the time, his actions came across as being both drawn out of the need to preserve the "purity" of Cylon thought and hierarchy, mixed with not a little desire to maintain the position of power he has gained since the D'Anna Biers model was (at his instigation), boxed.

Now the changes in Cylon thinking have deepened. In confronting Cavil Natalie / Six forces a vote on whether or not the Raiders should be modified. The result should be a foregone conclusion: stalemate, since three models would vote for, and three again....and stalemate would mean _no_ action taken against the Raiders. But as the models meet, Cavil hands out another shock. One of the Eight / Valerii models - none other than the original Boomer herself - has voted _against_ her "sisters" in an unprecedented move, and sided with Cavil and his clique to have the Raiders lobotomized to ensure future attacks on the Colonials are pressed home regardless. Her actions mean that those in favour of altering the Raiders have a majority of just one vote. It also means that her actions will clearly push Six / Natalie into a more drastic course of action. Elsewhere, having confronted Roslyn at gunpoint, Kara Thrace is now firmly in the brig - where Roslyn originally wanted her. She has also, apparently used up the last of Adama's "faith" in her - as witnessed by their stark confrontation in the brig. Always teetering on the edge, and despite her frequent acts of insubordination, her outspoken and frequently irksome attitude, Starbuck has nevertheless never failed to be a "positive" (if reckless) force within the fleet. Even when disobeying Adama (as in going after the Arrow of Apollo), her motives have always been rooted in the survival of the fleet - frequently in spite of her more self-destructive traits. In this allter regard she has operated on instinct alone far too many times - and now that attitude has come home to roost. Unable to quantify _why_ Adam et al are so reluctant to believe her story, despite the fact they have enough evidence to show her that her "six hours and change" away from Galactica was actually a period of some two months - she does what she does best; cut to the bottom line and take the most reckless action possible in "He That Believeth..." and confronts Roslyn. In doing so, she loses the support of the one man who might have helped her - Adama - at least for a time. To some, this aspect of "Six" seems contrived / dull / illogical. Reasons are cited as to why Starbuck is out-of-character, or why Roslyn's reaction to her is entirely correct. With respect to these people, I'd suggest they are missing the point.

"He That Believeth..." and "Six of One" are stories that make up the powerful core of the show. Within both of them we seen one of the major themic arcs of the story played out: that of understanding the nature of individual identity - what is it that makes us what we are, and how we both manipulate others into sharing our perceptions and how we allow circumstance itself to change us - and justify those changes, however negative they may be. As such, the Starbuck mini-arc within both episodes is _not_ out of keeping with her established nature. Rather the reverse: it is proof that whether Cylon (doubtful) or clone (possible - and indeed touched upon in her talk with Anders at the end of "He that Believeth..."), she is still very much Kara "cut to the bottom line and do what is needed" Thrace - operating on instinct (apparently taking Roslyn hostage) only to think through the ramifications after the fact (faced down by a furious Adama in the brig). Indeed it is precisely because she continues to act entirely within the overall definition of her character and sticks rigidly to her guns over her trip to Earth in spite of everything - including herself - that finally persuades Adama that she deserves the benefit of the doubt. And in this, it is perhaps a little odd that the one person who should be affected by Starbuck's persistence remained solidly unmoved: Laura Roslyn. Not so long ago, Roslyn had been in something of a similar situation. Verging on death, taking hallucinatory drugs, yet driven by an unshakable belief in what she perceived to be the truth: a belief that carried her forward in spite of Bill Adama and everyone else.

But instead, Roslyn is the one after Starbuck's head. She is not prepared to give in to the slightest possibility that Thrace could be telling the truth - not even when Starbuck's desperation drives her to initially put a gun to Roslyn's head at the end of "He That Believeth..." Not so long ago, such an action would have done much to convince Roslyn that Thrace was telling the truth. Now it drives her - however sarcastically - to wonder whether they should be putting Thrace on trail a-la Baltar. Again this cuts to the question of identity: Roslyn has been deeply affected by both her own changing circumstances (from near-death to miraculous recovery back to the verge of death), and the ravages the Colonials have faced - hunted through the galaxy, viciously oppressed on New Caprica. Is it surprising she has become cynical? Particularly after the debacle of Baltar's trial - a debacle she created, despite the counsel of others. Similarly, Tyrol, Tory, Anders and Tigh highlight the question of personal identity at a very personal level as they struggle to come to terms with the fact that they are Cylons. Across the gulf of space, the Cylons themselves struggle with the question of race - or perhaps species - identity, as they attempt to come to terms with the growing sentience of the Raiders. Roslyn and Kara Thrace become the focus of the question of identity (and authority) as they both struggle to come to terms (or not) with Kara's potential knowledge of Earth. And finally Baltar himself becomes a focus of identity in the face of his selfish cynicism finally giving way to genuine acceptance of the monotheist religion espoused by "his" Six.

The story opens with the Cylon crisis of identity, and the first signs that the rifts in their ranks hinted at in season 3 have not closed with the "boxing" of the D'Anna model - but have in fact deepened. Cavil appears to have seen this as an opportunity to seize a form of leadership over the other 5 remaining "known" models, filling the vacuum D'Anna inadvertently created by seeking leadership herself. Had this been part of the reason Cavil himself had sought to have her removed? Not so much because she was a threat to their stability....but because he would only gain from her removal from active status? Political game-play is not unknown among the humano-Cylons.

Certainly, his reaction to the emerging sentience of the Raiders hints at a need to keep a close guard on power and position. In "He That Believeth..." the Raiders correctly identified Sam Anders as one of the final five. In doing so, they elected to break off the attack on the Colonial fleet and return to base. Now, in "Six", we see the outcome of that act: an understanding of its significance on the part of the 3 humano-Cylons who most closely embody (between them) religious, philosophical and emotive outlooks) and outright blank denial on the part of the 3 viewed as the more logical thinkers. And in a fight between the rational and the emotive, it is rare that the rational will "win" the argument without some for of repercussion, so Cavil's stance on the fate of the Raiders (lobotomies for all) - even if not based on personal gain - will clearly bite back at him is only too clear from the opening of this episode.

The ripples of identity spread further: Baltar, the "revealed four", even Adama himself are affected by questions and doubts that will substantially change who they are and / or the fate of the fleet. We see Baltar's growing belief as the "chosen one" of God. A belief that affects not just humans - but also at least one of the humano-cylons in the form of Tory. This in itself throws open the door to a new an intriguing direction the story could take: an alliance of humans and Cylons, joined under Baltar's new leadership.

The key to this lies not only in Baltar's changing view of himself and how others perceive him, but also in the events aboard one of the Cylon basestars. With the vote to lobotomize the Raiders having swung against her, Natalie/Six takes matters into her own hands - she removes the inhibitors used to constrain the Centurion's higher brain functions, resulting in bloody carnage as a Cavil, Doral and Steven are bloodily put to death in retaliation for their actions against the Raiders. This must clearly split the ranks of the humano-Cylons, and hence lead to the development of a new faction - one no longer wholly convinced of their original "mission" (Leoben, Valerii/Eight and Natalie/Six) facing-off against the "purists" of Cavil/One, Steven and Doral. That the former will be drawn into an alliance with the humans seems inevitable.

Which still leaves the question as to what will happen within the Cylon ranks now that Natalie/Six has allowed the genie out of the bottle in providing the Centurions access to their higher brain functions?

Identity - the complex, ever-changing mix of rules, experiences and beliefs that both make up who we are and propel us through life. Perhaps the most powerful motive that can be examined - forms the central pillar of the opening two episodes of season 4, and in doing so reveals that BSG is not only back - but it is firing on all cylinders.
  • This episode is great, but not as great as the season four season premiere.

Let me just start out by saying that I really enjoyed this episode, but at the same time I found Starbuck's story line very tedious and boring. Her story line was the one and only thing that I didn't like about this episode, and it's the one thing that kept me from giving this episode a perfect ten for a score. So far, I'm not liking Starbuck's story line for the season at all, and I really hope that her story line changes direction very, very soon. My favorite story line for this episode was definitely the main Cylons trying to deal with the Cylon raiders and the final five Cylons. The final five's story line was also very interesting me. Another story line that I really enjoyed was Baltar's. I'm loving his story line this season. It's been my favorite story line to follow so this season. Another thing that I'd really like to mention is that I thought that Tricia Helfer (Number Six) did a great a great job in this episode. Mary McDonnell (Roslin) also gave an amazing performance in this episode. All things considered, this definitely was a pretty good episode with the exception of Starbuck's story line.
  • The continuation of the lower cylons seeking independence and Starbuck trying to get the fleet to fly the right way to Earth. Showing the total break down of the cylons was great and of course a wonderful action sequence with the slaughter

The continuation of the lower cylons seeking independence and Starbuck trying to get the fleet to fly the right way to Earth. Showing the total break down of the cylons was great and of course a wonderful action sequence with the slaughter of the cyclons by six and her centurion allies. This was the coup de grace of the show following Starbucks storyline finish for now. The whole episode was about hypocrisy first with the cylons and with Roslyn and her treatment of Starbuck. How does one believe in divine intervention but only through her a wonderful commentary on how hypocritical people can be. Watching the five weasel their way into Balthar's inner circle was good although I wish the predictable sex as an in hadn't been used. Lee Adama got a long sappy good bye about the only part of the episode I didn't care for but hope we'll still see a lot of him while working for Roslyn. Good episode I enjoyed what seems like a fast race in the plot to the end of the series.
  • Better than the first episode, way better!!!

I really hated the first show, i had found that it had been poorly done and was going nowhere.

This episode is way better, it had all the drama that we usually get and some good plot twists in the end. It is gonna be long to wait cause the real meat that we want to sink out teeth into is far off, But this episode is a nice step towards that point!!!! I just hope they at least keep that tempo up and keep going up from there and do not throw in some stupid fill in episodes that go nowhere....

peace
  • I love this show with my whole heart. It's captivating, exciting thought-provoking, and makes me feel emotions that run the whole range of the emot-o-meter.

This particular episode left me with a broken heart. Kara's anguish is palpable, as is Adama's clear desire to believe her. Roslin's quiet suffering is agonizing, and yet she remains dignified even as her life ebbs away. The scene between her and a druken Adama was painful and very sad - the cruel things they said to each other made me cringe. And her being left sitting alone, her hair falling out in clumps as she silently sobs was profound. A very heart-wrenching moment.

Another beautifully written episode that the talented cast clearly took to heart and gave stunning performances that broke my heart. I'm not entirely sure where the show is going to take us next, but I'm definitely looking forward to the ride!
  • The goodbyes in the episode parallel those that the cast and crew will be saying as the show wraps later this year. Perhaps an early farewell party for the close-knit group behind BSG? A melancholy episode with a touch of humor too.

This episode is almost like the real-life goodbyes that the cast will be saying soon, as they wrap up the show this summer. :( I think those goodbye scenes had much more meaning because of the show's approaching end. The cast and crew have been working together for 5 years now, going through a lot of emotional struggles with the deep, dark storylines, and the emotional highs of seeing the praise and success of the series. I'm betting some of those tears weren't just acting.

Now onto the story itself... (spoilers below)

I wasn't sure where Kara's story was going even until the very end. (Glad I didn't read any spoilers ahead of time.) This is a masterful plot development. I was wondering how they would be able to keep Kara on the Galactica and maintain interest in her story. It would have gotten boring quickly just to see her in a cell screaming "We're going the wrong way" every episode. Now she will be a lone explorer like the original Starbuck in the final episode of Galactica 1980. This may also begin a throwback to the split episodes of Season 1 and the first episodes of Season 2, when we switched back and forth between the Fleet and Cylon-occupied Caprica (Helo and Sharon's story). Season 4 will have a much different feel because of this. Will Kara ever see the rest of the fleet again? I'm not sure. How would she ever find the Galactica again? How would she be able to catch up to the fleet, even if she knew where to go?

Lee is also breaking all of his old ties as he transitions into a civilian role. Maybe he will become the new president if Roslin dies or becomes incapacitated. This development upends his character and throws him into completely new situations, just like the new story changes Kara's path completely. Even though Lee was involved with Baltar's trial defense, that was only a temporary role. Now he will be working as a civilian full-time.

Some of the old "No more Mr. Nice Gaius!" humor returned with the appearance of "Head Baltar." I don't think it was Head Six in disguise. Head Baltar's visit indicates that the imaginary person is either a dark side of Baltar's personality or an external being, and not just a mix-up of Baltar and Number Six from the nuclear blast on Caprica.

I have to say that the sex scene with Tory was pretty hot. A nice bit of spice for the episode. She gave up some of her pride in seeking the information about Baltar, but it's the first time we've truly had a glimpse into Tory's soul and heart. Until now, we've only seen her advising Roslin and meeting with the other Final Four members. She really grew as a character in this episode. We've never seen her in such an intimate setting. Even her scene with Anders last season wasn't very personal or revealing. That was almost a throwaway scene. Not this time. I just wish the actors could have whispered a little louder so that it was easier to understand that scene, but that's a minor quibble.

This episode was a little more ponderous than the season premiere. Maybe they could have moved through Lee's story more quickly or cut down a scene or two. However, it was still a very good episode, just not as outstanding as "He That Believeth in Me" was. This final season is shaping up very nicely.
  • Normal service (Pure Awesomeness) has now resumed.

After the travesty of an episode last week, this one has made me believe once more in the franchise. Not much happened, but the dialogues and scenes were fracking fantastic.

I'll be honest - I wept at least 3 times in this episode - one when Lee is given his drinking send off, two when everybody salutes him and three, when Adama hugs Starbuck. That is pure genius - I have *never* wept over any tv before, and this show has made me into a blubbering idiot - right from that first moment when Adama told Lee in season "If it was you we would never have left".

Starbuck does not shoot the president, but gives her the gun. In turn the president fires on Kara at close range and *misses*. pathetic. Guards intervene, Adama yells at her, talks to president, has his doubts, and finally covertly lets her go find Earth again on a borrowed sewage treatment ship.

Also, the scene between Roslin and Adama was a power-packed one. The two titans of the fleet spoke their hearts and really did justice to a powerful script. I loved Adama's line "You can stay in the room, but stay out of my fracking head!".

Lee kisses the Galactica goodbye to work for Zarek (why, oh why?). Seems like a promising storyline, though.

The Cylons are *really* convincing me now. They get excited about the last 5, but are warned not to openly discuss it. Then, 6 organises a coup to stop the raiders being lobotomised, by giving the centurions their own free will. Needless to say, the centurions are pissed and kill those models who voted in favour of the procedure. Strangely - Boomer votes against all her other models. An unprecedented step, and one that I hope gets her smug ass shot.

Were it not for their annoying God line, I think I would be fully behind the cylons.

Gaius is boring as ever. I cannot believe they got Tori to sleep with him, and to make matters worse, he starts seeing himself instead of number 6. For crying out loud - I already know he is a narcissistic frack, so why take away the only reason I bother watching Gaius scenes? Unfair.
  • Go Starbuck!!!! Yet another great episode for setting the scene for things to come.

There's so much happening with Lee leaving the military and Starbuck 'losing the way' that it's easy to forget that we have 4 new cylons to deal with. Tigh seems to be a bad tempered sod whether he knows he's a Cylon or not which is a bit unfortunate. I would have welcomed a 'new' Tigh, one who engaged his brain and didn't just react. Oh well.

As For Starbuck? She really really rocks in this ep. She said to Laura Roslin exactly what I've been thinking. Ie. Why does everyone find it so easy to follow a politician who has religious 'visions' and but can't take the leap of faith required to believe that Kara has been to Earth?

I never really realized until this ep how much I actually loathe Laura Roslin. She is everything I hate about politicians. She's smug, arrogant, and more than ever before gives the impression she can't conceive the possibility that she's wrong about Starbuck; and I think Bill Adama saw that too.

All in all, this was an exceptional episode, and Katee Sackhoff outshone everyone else in her portrayal of the dreadful frustration she's feeling.

Everything about this episide was brilliantly done, from the writers to the director and of course the actors. All were fantastic.

Oh, and I nearly forgot - the Cylons are revolting! Really, they are. It was great seeing Cavill, Simon and Doral get theirs. Six (happy birthday Tricia Helfer) is fabulous in this and it's always wonderful seeing the Centurions - they're miles better than the old clunkers in the original series (well, let's face it, this incarnation of BSG is galaxies ahead of the original in every way - the first one was done just for fun, but this one's for real).
  • Starbuck lose's it. Lee is leaving. The Cylon's have a big problem. The four are so lost they need a map and a flashlight.

Starbuck kicks us off, by pointing a gun at the president. Then reminds her about what she did. The arrow ,the plant and all the people who died following her visions. Then she tells the president if you think i'm a cylon, then shoot me. then offer's the gun to the president. Who shoots, but misses (WOW) Then she is hauled off to the brigg, kicking and screaming. The final four thinks Baltar may be one of them or he may know something about who it may be. So, they pimped out Tory Foster to pump him for answers. (wink,wink) Apollo is leaving and he is given a hero's send off. We get to see Adama get drunk and have it out just a little bit with the president. The Cylon's are have really big problem.
    They are fighting with each other. In the end four of the models will lose. It looks like civil war. The hole show is just filled with emotion for begining to end. In the end Adama and Lee believe Starbuck. An Adama just can not bear to lose her again. So, he tells Starbuck that he has pick out a crew, and then gives her a ship and tells her to go find Earth...
  • "Overall, another tremendously enjoyable hour from the final season of what has to be one of the best TV series of all time. Gripping, intense, funny and action packed, it rarely gets better than this."

"Six of One" (love the title!) continues to assure fans everywhere that this show won't be reaching its big bang through various whimpers, oh no: we're getting explosive material and some of the best story developments the show has ever offered up. Ok, so you might think I'm exaggerating, and I'm willing to point out this isn't the best episode ever, but since there's an underlining certainty of when the show will be coming to an end, the stories carry that extra bit of threat value; and considering most of the plot points that were promised a season ago are coming to fruition, there's genuine payoff from the fans' perspective (take that, followers of Lost!).

The opening sequence didn't quite pan out the way I expected it to and for that I'm grateful. Expecting some compromise to occur, I suddenly realised it was Battlestar Galactica I was watching, so of course Roslin took the shot! Both Katee and Mary do a fantastic job in these few scenes, especially Katee who really gives it her all. As has been pointed out in the recent episode thread, the show is very self-aware, and I simply loved how Kara chastised Roslin over searching for the arrow because of a vision Roslin supposedly had. Is the favour repaid? Not at all. And I thoroughly enjoyed these characters addressing that point face-to-face like it should be.

I always enjoy when the show enlightens us on the Cylon side of things (one of the reasons why I loved season three); and the conflict between all of the numbers was a gripping, insightful look into the gradual deformation of the Cylon race. Pity Lucy Lawless couldn't have appeared, just to give the story a bit more weight, but it was definitely intriguing seeing one of the Boomer's go against her own model. Fascinating stuff altogether. And wow - how amazing did Tricia look in this episode. A stunning woman in every sense of the word who manages to outdo her special-k attire, by appearing how she actually looks, and she's 10 times the hotness for it. Wow.

Whoops, had a bit of a guy moment there.

You know you're in love with this show if you recalled Boomer's treatment of the Raider in season one when No.1 said something like "They're fighters, not pets" - it's interesting how each number views one another. With Boomer and Six embracing the "human" aspect the Cylons have been craving, with the rest opting to mechanise themselves and their Raiders further. Of course, the denouement is an excellent one, with No.1 eating his own words and the bullets of the centurions (will Six suffer the same fate soon enough since they have the ability to reason?). The idea of a centurion rebellion is a truly wicked prospect!

The four of the final five - ya know, I almost pity them. It's interesting how sinister these lot are behaving now. While I understand the urge to survive, how callously Tigh suggests to Tory she bed Baltar for information was almost as chilling as his season three suicide bomber days. Does he intend to do whatever's necessary - pick off any possible threats on the fleet? Who knows… this story is one I'd gladly allow the writers to milk for a while, because it's fun watching these desperate toasters plan their own survival. It's intense.

~~ Other moments like Roslin and Adama's chat about Kara and mortality was beautifully handled; Lee's goodbye scene was cheesy, sure, but a good 'un all the same; and, of course, one of my favourite parts - the old man giving Kara her own ship to prove everyone wrong. Woohoo! It's fitting really, to have Kara journey by herself for a while, as she has always been the lone-wolf, and it'll make for a nice change of pace, too (what with cutting to Lee on the civilian fleet; Galactica, and then the Cylon base, and where Kara ends up), it'll be fun to see it all mixed up and eventually reform and link as one story again.

• starbuck tries to convince roslin that she's telling the truth about where earth is located .Lee prepares to leave galactica and the seven cylons learn that the final five are in the coloinal fleet.

This was a fantastic episode that had some major character development going. The scene between starbuck and roslin shows just how hypocritical roslin has become since she delcared herself the "dying leader." The fact that roslin shot kara and missed has to mean something.

The adama/roslin scene was incredible.Drunk adama was great.Really liked the fact that he gave it to roslin.

Lee's departure from galactica was hard to watch.The send off was fantastic.Great that we got some lee/dee closure"Well, looks like you get to keep the house." had to have been one of the best lines of the whole episode.

The characters that had the most development in this episode was not the humans or the cylon models(although natalie(six)/leoben/ and sharon models had some major development) but the cylon centurions.For the first time we see them taking a stand for themselves and fighting for what THEY believe in and not being controlled by anyone but themselves.Looks like the cylons centurions and the raiders are becomming self-aware and you can bet that a cylon rebellion is not to far behind because of it.

All in all, it was one of the BSG's best episodes.
  • This was a top notch episode.

It is about time that we see how the war is effecting the Cylons. We have been watching and thinking that they are relentless machines that will stop at nothing to destroy the human race. We are starting to see that not all of the Cylon models are on the same page and they want different things and have different goals. It is going to be very a nail bitter all the way to the finale. I'm looking forward to the final showdown at Earth and the Cylons getting put into there places once and for all. Just hope we see Apollo and Starbuck in the cockpit a few more times.
  • Six of One

Six of One was another perfect episode of Battlestar Galactica with its stellar space scenes, phenomenal acting, and superb story writing. It was so awesome to see more of the Cylons and learn more about them. Their story played out in a really cool way and I can't wait to see more. What the Six did in the end was so awesome!!! Starbuck holds to her way and is confined, though in the end the Admiral lets her search for Earth, meanwhile Apollo decides not to re-enlist and has a farewell ceremony. There were many intense character driven scenes with great revelations. The story lines are intriguing and engaging. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Something has changed....

Something has changed...that is the theme of the episode. The dynamic of the Cylons have changed. For the first time there is real dissention among the Cylons. One of the Sharons has turned against others. The raiders have been dumbed down and the Centurians have been given free will. There is dissention among Roslin and Adama. They are both afraid of losing each other and of being wrong. Something has changed between them and they are fighting over what to do about Starbuck. Four of the final five have been revealed and they know something has changed but they aren't sure what and they are try desperately to keep there secrets. Tigh sends Tory off to get info from Baltar and she has sex with him when he talks about hearing music.

Something has changed for Lee as well. He wants a change and has decided to search out a new life.

The overriding theme of the episode is, something has changed, but has it changed for the better....or the worse?
  • great episode

The cylon models discuss about the fate of the original cylon raiders. They suspect that the cylon raiders refuse to attack the humans because they identified one of the final five aboard the galactica. The cylon models think that they should reprogram the raiders. Number six refuses to agree with the other models. Starbuck senses that galactica is heading the wrong way and she warns the fleet about it. This is a really exciting episode, I enjoyed every minute of it. The cylon infighting makes the story really interesting. I can't wait for the next episode, season 4 is gearing up for one exciting final season. I'm enjoying every minute of it.