Battlestar Galactica

Six of One

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 11, 2008 on Syfy

• I'm a little disappointed

4.9
    There are several elements to this episode that I like, but they're outnumbered by the points I find a bit silly. The story point I find most intriguing is the Cylon infighting and possible civil war between the seven known models on the Cylon side. The fact that they have serious disagreements in fundamental philosophies which can actually lead to violence shows a level of depth in the antagonists that is usually lacking in most sci-fi shows.

That being said, here are the slightly iffy issues:

1- Starbuck insisting that the entire fleet follow her to where she believes Earth is without question when the issue of her true allegiance is very much in question. They have video footage of her ship exploding. This is generally a tricky survival scenario. Her sudden reappearance would seem to indicate (quite strongly) that she's a Cylon. Without iron-clad proof that she's telling the truth, I certainly would have shot her the moment her foot touched the flight deck.

2- Apollo deciding to resign his commission and pursue a career in law.

**********************WHAT???!!!*************************

His very species numbers less than 40 000 and their survival depends entirely on the Galactica's ability to repel Cylon attacks. In order to do that, the fleet needs PILOTS.....not a fracking LAWYER!!! Apollo is one of the best pilots the colonials have and to abandon them like this is tantamount to treason. Instead of a sending off party and an honor guard salute, he should have been arrested and charged with desertion in time of war.

3- The centurion's "sentience suppressors". Are you telling me that the centurions are just as self aware and able to make rational, independent decisions as the humanoid Cylon models, but are prevented from this by a doohicky implanted in their heads? Pleeeeaaaaase!

I really do hope that these issues are properly addressed and clarified since it seems to me that the writers of this series are starting to become a little self-indulgent with their use of destiny and mysticism as plot devices.